Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's why I like the world so much. Your morality is represented as black and white but that's now how it works.

Every tribe has an agenda that might not be super obvious and everyone outside has an opinion about it, which may or may not be accurate.

It's a lot cooler that all characters only speaking the truth about the situation because they're just the writers mouthpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think I've decided that it is not that the critter species of the new world have developed weird onomatopoeia terms for old technology and concepts, but that the narrator is just translating everything into full on "Cold On A Cob" style Briticisms.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I like it when the (vermintide?) narrator talks at me. The tone gives me weird Fable vibes that I'm into.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Weirdly enough, the more I look at this game on streams the more stoked I get for the upcoming Fable reboot that is under development.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's basically a jankier postapoc Fable with muppets and a more open open world. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Biomutant at this point but it's certainly interesting.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

It's basically a jankier Fable with muppets and a more open open world. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Biomutant at this point but it's certainly interesting.
Yeah, as I´ve said earlier in the thread I´ll get a copy once it hits around 30 euro, since that´s a more reasonable pricerange IMHO.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One story-ish development I love is finding out that the narrator is claustrophobic, to the point he has a hard time saying it. Eventually he starts dreading when you go in a sewer or cave.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, as I´ve said earlier in the thread I´ll get a copy once it hits around 30 euro, since that´s a more reasonable pricerange IMHO.

Probably a sensible decision, I can't really be too put out about the jank because I only paid 3$ for it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 29, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I got to play a good solid session today and I've settled on this game being pretty rad. It's a shame that reviewers are playing the tutorial section and judging it without getting to the good stuff. The game definitely opens up after you get out of that part, when you get into the open world its a lot better. I like the crafting mechanic of just mashing random crap together, it can lead to some fun combinations.

I'm dual-wielding an ancient battleaxe and a toilet plunger and riding around in a giant duck mech wearing a biker jacket, a mad max mask and a clown pope hat. It's a pretty good time.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 29, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

HEY EVERYONE

Once you start Pebble's quest, focus on that as much as you can. It's going to take you all over the place but the end is worth it ;)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like a jackass for not heading up into the dunes sooner now that I've found two NPC's with quests that both reward unique backpacks that boost your double jump.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Putting aside the incredible power of GUN, is it my imagination or are crush type weapons way better then the other melee options? Faster then 2 handed swords with as good or better damage and does reliable aoe around your target. I've crafted a relic tier one and it's an option actually on par with just shooting poo poo.

Also it feels like duel wielding either guns or melee weapons is simply not worth bothering with save for style points?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Play posted:

Quick question for those a bit further than me: did you fully upgrade the various machines (Mektron, Googlide) before attacking the relevant worldeater or just go in with the janky versions? I think I could beat a worldeater or two at this point, but I'm curious what y'all did.

There is no need to upgrade the machines. You can beat the worldeaters without doing any side questing. They are not difficult.

I fall on the side of being incredibly frustrated by this game. No one thing is majorly annoying but there are so many minor annoying things that just wore me down. By the time I did the third worldeater, I switched to doing as little extra as possible just so it (the main story) was over.

Reading this thread, it sounds like it was a direction issue on the development side, which is not something I had seen previously, but it does jive with my experience. It looks like standard developer short attention span, with lots of half-baked or shallow ideas.

I think the puzzles were one of the biggest let downs, in that the complexity didn't increase from the first ones you come across, and the hardest part of them was making sure you pressed the right button to rotate whatever the way you meant, or you'd probably run out of moves.

carticket fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 30, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Caidin posted:

Putting aside the incredible power of GUN, is it my imagination or are crush type weapons way better then the other melee options? Faster then 2 handed swords with as good or better damage and does reliable aoe around your target. I've crafted a relic tier one and it's an option actually on par with just shooting poo poo.

Also it feels like duel wielding either guns or melee weapons is simply not worth bothering with save for style points?

Crush weapons are probably the best, if for no other reason than, because they stagger and essentially stunlock most enemies.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Biomutant/status/1398584743806095361

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I mean that's kind of a sign that it got released before it was truly ready, but at least the good thing is that they're willing to keep working on it and they're not abandoning the game.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Nephthys posted:

I got to play a good solid session today and I've settled on this game being pretty rad. It's a shame that reviewers are playing the tutorial section and judging it without getting to the good stuff. The game definitely opens up after you get out of that part, when you get into the open world its a lot better. I like the crafting mechanic of just mashing random crap together, it can lead to some fun combinations.

I'm dual-wielding an ancient battleaxe and a toilet plunger and riding around in a giant duck mech wearing a biker jacket, a mad max mask and a clown pope hat. It's a pretty good time.

Lol the most critical reviews beat the entire game. This game is underbaked and completely empty.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Might be worth getting on sale in six months?

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I wouldn't say completely empty, I've been playing for about ten hours, and have barely done any main quests. Whenever I set out to do something I find sidequests on the way, and when I figure I might just knock those out first since they are close, I find dungeons, monster nests, or sun beams, or what not.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Zil posted:

I mean that's kind of a sign that it got released before it was truly ready, but at least the good thing is that they're willing to keep working on it and they're not abandoning the game.

What's interesting is how much of a deal they made out of delaying the game bc they weren't satisfied with the quality and it still came out in the state it did. The interviews indicate that the delay started as taking extra time to polish, but then the director decided to add several much more complex systems. I'm guessing they had some significant scope creep that ballooned the complexity of the game and whatever polish work they tried to do got obliterated under the weight of all the added systems that clearly never got the refinements they needed. Basically they got greedy and the game has suffered for it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally got around to playing this and anyone else on PS5 have super blurry graphics? It's like everything is in a fog. I tried adjusting brightness and sharpness settings and even the HDR settings on the PS5 itself and nothing helps. It's so bad it's unplayable. If there's no fix I'm going to have to request a refund(which is a shame since I was looking forward to this game, even with the mediocre reviews).

EDIT: Maybe it's my TV(Samsung 7 series) but I've never had issues with it before

RatHat fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 30, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ovenboy posted:

I wouldn't say completely empty, I've been playing for about ten hours, and have barely done any main quests. Whenever I set out to do something I find sidequests on the way, and when I figure I might just knock those out first since they are close, I find dungeons, monster nests, or sun beams, or what not.

Yeah, thats a weird complaint. Theres definitely stuff to do on the map. Whether you like doing it may or may not be true, but saying its empty is kinda weird unless you're expecting to find complex sidequests like witcher 3 or something

Anyways, I'm gonna pause playing this until some patches come out since I also have Days Gone to go through.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 30, 2021

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Zil posted:

Man it's so funny that before release people ITT were hyping it up with "this game has been delayed for years because they're spending so much time polishing it to a mirror sheen for release" and now that the game is out people are going "this game is fundamentally unfinished"

Yet another illustration of why you never pre-order games.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I hope they fix the random rearranging of the consumables quickmenu. poo poo's infuriating in a tough fight when you go for your heals and nothing you assigned is where you left it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Yet another illustration of why you never pre-order games.

Counterpoint: I preordered the game weeks before release, paid less money for doing so, and am currently enjoying the game and getting easily my money’s worth from it.

In conclusion, gently caress you I’ll spend my own money how I like. :allears:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, thats a weird complaint. Theres definitely stuff to do on the map. Whether you like doing it may or may not be true, but saying its empty is kinda weird unless you're expecting to find complex sidequests like witcher 3 or something

Anyways, I'm gonna pause playing this until some patches come out since I also have Days Gone to go through.

I think sometimes it feels empty because you can just ride off along a road and sometimes not encounter any enemies and maybe only a few cars to loot. It has some expansive landscapes without much in then, but also some densely packed areas. A lot of the lootable may have just one combat encounter. I think how empty it feels is a measure of what part of the map you're in and what you want to get out of your travels.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

Finally got around to playing this and anyone else on PS5 have super blurry graphics? It's like everything is in a fog. I tried adjusting brightness and sharpness settings and even the HDR settings on the PS5 itself and nothing helps. It's so bad it's unplayable. If there's no fix I'm going to have to request a refund(which is a shame since I was looking forward to this game, even with the mediocre reviews).

EDIT: Maybe it's my TV(Samsung 7 series) but I've never had issues with it before

Ok I tried it on my PS4 pro instead and it looks way better. It must be the PS5 up scaling that’s causing the problems. It really doesn’t run very well on the PS4 though.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

AirRaid posted:

Counterpoint: I preordered the game weeks before release, paid less money for doing so, and am currently enjoying the game and getting easily my money’s worth from it.

Yeah this definitely seems like the exact kind of defiant, ,insecure posturing that THQ Nordic has been cultivating around the release of this game.

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1397158096741482498

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I played it for 47 hours and think it's a pretty cool if flawed game, friends.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Yeah this definitely seems like the exact kind of defiant, ,insecure posturing that THQ Nordic has been cultivating around the release of this game.

I dunno, they really stuck it to the haters by gambling $60. Really showed 'em.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Sunk cost fallacy dot txt

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
If you're playing on PC through Steam, I don't recommend attaching addons for any gear that has resists you care about.

Put in some addons in open slots on some ancient pants to add crit rating and my resists tanked. The gear still says it has resists, but equipping the pants doesn't affect your resists.

Removed the crit addons from the pants and the resists were gone from the pants.

RIP. Options are "reload old save" or "live with it" I guess.

For a game that touts its crafting system and for a game that gates certain areas behind having gear with elemental resists for those areas....I'm just kind of ??? at how a bug like this made it to release.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Half-wit posted:

If you're playing on PC through Steam, I don't recommend attaching addons for any gear that has resists you care about.

Put in some addons in open slots on some ancient pants to add crit rating and my resists tanked. The gear still says it has resists, but equipping the pants doesn't affect your resists.

Removed the crit addons from the pants and the resists were gone from the pants.

RIP. Options are "reload old save" or "live with it" I guess.

For a game that touts its crafting system and for a game that gates certain areas behind having gear with elemental resists for those areas....I'm just kind of ??? at how a bug like this made it to release.

Equipping gear in general seems to be incredibly buggy. Like just going into a category of gear takes off whatever you have equipped, even though the game still shows it equipped. It makes checking out near gear I found really obnoxious.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mill Village posted:

Equipping gear in general seems to be incredibly buggy. Like just going into a category of gear takes off whatever you have equipped, even though the game still shows it equipped. It makes checking out near gear I found really obnoxious.

Yeah, and I've had several weapons that were listed as having addon slots have the slots not show up unless I reload the game or play with it in the menu.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Sunk cost fallacy dot txt

Is it sunk cost fallacy if it’s a consideration I make before I ever purchase a game? Generally I figure if I can get 1 hour per £1 spent on a videogame it is worthwhile price for the entertainment. This is a much lower bar than say going to the movies, which might end up being £5 per hour or so. Some games will utterly smash this (I paid £15 for Rocket League not sure how much I’d play it but my friends were playing, and I have 2000 hours in that now), but most of the time if I don’t think I’ll get the time out of a game I won’t buy it. I’m pretty sure I’m already close to my £1 per hour mark in Biomutant, and I’m nowhere near done with the game. I’m not claiming it’s perfect, but it’s certainly enjoyable.

Also, question about the reward for pebble’s quest line:
Is it just a less convenient version of the automaton glider? I can only make it flap once and then it just has the exact same physics as the glider, so I’m not sure how to make it any more useful. And combined with the mushroom bounce pad skill I can get further on the glider I think.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Its kind of a bummer that the tribal weapons can't be crafted or upgraded, but the boomerang getting slowly phased out of effectiveness has forced me to open my eyes to how insanely powerful guns can be. The jump move for the boomerang is extremely good when you first get it (plus it keeps you in good range if you're focusing on melee), but its much easier to just slowly circle the enemy unloading on them with an assault rifle.

Also, my melee weapon is just a baseball bat with a chainsaw attached to it. Not really related to anything, but I think its cool as hell.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I liked the boomerang until I encountered flying enemies. Those guys are very hard to hit with it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AirRaid posted:

Also, question about the reward for pebble’s quest line:
Is it just a less convenient version of the automaton glider? I can only make it flap once and then it just has the exact same physics as the glider, so I’m not sure how to make it any more useful. And combined with the mushroom bounce pad skill I can get further on the glider I think.

Nope. It's a cute little thing but ultimately pointless.

I broke open another vault and got a toxic pistol that also fores off seeking missiles. The balance in this game is stupid and I hate that there are no items to modify PSI powers.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's kinda wild when you meet some weird enemy type that's strangely rare like those big guys who fight entirely by rolling around on a barrel. I think I only ever found two over the course of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Caidin posted:

It's kinda wild when you meet some weird enemy type that's strangely rare like those big guys who fight entirely by rolling around on a barrel. I think I only ever found two over the course of the game.

Okay so I read this and didn't know what you meant, then I booted up the game and almost immediately ran into one of these. Are you a wizard?