Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Time for another update on the forums, financial and otherwise.

Income:
January 2021:
Raw store revenue: $8,922.35
Processing fees: $627.44
Hosting cost: $1,156.97

February 2021:
Raw store revenue: $6,301.55
Processing fees: $480.14
Hosting cost: $1,026.24

March 2021:
Raw store revenue: $6,394.30
Processing fees: $478.02
Hosting cost: $1,096.97

The forums store is chugging along, with a spike in January. This corresponds possibly with the capitol riot, possibly corresponding with the previous State of the Forums. Our costs have stayed about the same server-wise, but are going to be higher for April as we have rolled out some new servers without taking down any old ones.

This quarter saw follow through on many of things promised last quarter. Astral is officially an employee of Something Awful and has been kicking rear end, right out the gate. Together we've made great steps in modernizing our infrastructure. Astral is going to follow up this post with details about what's been going on, server-wise - I've had him take the lead on the project and it's best you hear it straight from him. This was first on the agenda for good reason. There is still much to be done - the site architecture will look rather different from where it started after we're through with it.

Gonna quote myself from last quarter:

quote:

I think this has the potential to be a really good year for something awful. I intend to be proactive in growing this place, be it be enticing old users to return or attracting new ones, and I intend to do so without compromising the culture here. I think old-style internet forums are the best way to communicate online and I think a lot of people who have never posted on a forum would use them if they knew they were there.

This very much still holds true. I've spent much of the past quarter getting a handle on the here and now, but the time is here. We already have a couple Photoshop Phridays posted, thanks to GRINDCORE MEGGIDO, and I intend to have the frontpage up for real in the coming quarter. I've reclaimed the @Something_Awful twitter account, which I can use to do outreach to goons, past and future. I want this place to be fun and happening as always and intend work out how to get new people to come look at our site.

Last time I asked about opening a Patreon to cover the cost of development. The money made by the forums store is being spent on development and there is a lot of room for more. In addition, I would like to pay artists and writers to contribute to our front page. Any money spent will go directly towards these things - namely paying for labor from goons to help the site! You can contribute here: https://www.patreon.com/SomethingAwful

Oh I almost forgot - one last thing. Not all the changes we've been working on have been under the hood. After so much time, I am super excited to announce DARK MODE. LITERALLY A BIRD and I have been working like crazy on this and we hope you enjoy it! Being such a long-awaited feature, we didn't want to half-rear end or disappoint - thought and effort were put into every page, and we hope it shows. You can turn it on here in your forum options. Let us know what you think and see known issues, here in this feedback thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965797

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Everyone, thank you again for bearing with us during the various site maintenances of the last week or so. You might not be surprised to learn that there were some missing pieces in SA's infrastructure. Perhaps most appallingly among those, there had not been a database replica server running for several years. Further, if the site had a backup process in place before, it must have lived on that missing replica; there did not seem to be anything configured. You read that correctly—for many years, these forums were one malformed shell command, bad SQL query, or hardware failure away from vanishing in a puff of magic smoke.

Over the last week we've largely rectified this. We've taken backups, spun up three new database servers (2 live forums, 1 archives), imported all the data, set up replication (meaning changes to the main database server are sent to the replica database server), and after the cloud provider maintenance is behind us we'll work on migrating the forums from the old database servers to the new (timeline TBD). This will involve an easter egg hunt as we migrate all of radium's little cron scripts over, but thankfully Jeffrey already has a good handle on where these live. One of those new servers is already in production and handling database queries for things like displaying attachments, calculating the results for the "Who posted?" feature, as well as for various administrative tools.

With this work—and more—completed, we have the utmost confidence that we'll be able to recover from several potential worst-case scenarios, both in the upcoming downtime for cloud host maintenance and as we proceed onward into the future. Thanks for loving the forums.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hello. :goku:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol at the completely expected lack of backups

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol at the completely expected lack of backups

That's what the Library of Congress is for. Duh. :rolleye:

But seriously, the upgrades to the forums are nice, and I really like all the communication about what's going on and why. Thanks!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The lack of backups is genuinely horrifying. SomethingAwful is, bizarrely, bafflingly, a site with real historical value, and its preservation is crucial for historians to be able to study not only this period of the internet, but of American political history. God help us.

Anyway, thank you for starting to run the backend like people who give a poo poo, you're doing important work.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the old owner knew or cared about the missing backup? Oh wait who cares.

Thanks for trying to keep this place alive mods, admins, owner, you people are amazing.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Dark mode. I've waited decades for this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Charles Bukowski posted:

I wonder if the old owner knew or cared about the missing backup? Oh wait who cares.

Thanks for trying to keep this place alive mods, admins, owner, you people are amazing.

Wasn't there a "delete the forums" button for several years until Jeffrey quietly killed it in the backend?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't there a "delete the forums" button for several years until Jeffrey quietly killed it in the backend?
Well it only deleted one forum, and maybe all of its subforums, but yeah it was there and terrifying. :)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I am glad the SA Forums didn’t vanish in a puff of smoke.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Did it need a dual key system to unlock the button? I can imagine two big fuckin' dorks living their pathetic lives with mastercraft padlock keys on chains around their necks, waiting for a sign of the end times. Fyad burns while they sing 'god bless America' poorly.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

this is all fantastic news, and SA is good, throwing in a couple bucks a month for pay goons to be goons

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the pink forum is not dark when using dark mode thank god

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

SA has entertained.me for years and the forums have helped me a great deal over the past awful year, so thank you for actually giving a poo poo about it.

:sexarse:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Thanks to the official dark mode I can finally uninstall Stylus

thank you literally a bird and jeffrey

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dark mode has changed my life. I will now uphold Bird Thought with Jeffreyist characteristics. Thanks for your work!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dark mode absolutely rules, thank you for improving the forums instead of ruining them.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Inching closer to finally getting my :10bux: worth. Thaffrey.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I don't know what I expected you guys to find in the back end cruft, but I really should have seen this coming.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

quote:

how to get new people to come look at our site.

oh no

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

This dark mode, these numbers and this thread in general arouses me

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Tested out dark mode. It looks actually great. Thanks for maintaining this hunk of junk!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Wait, LAB is back? I was sad/angry when I read about that, so very glad to hear this news.

The other updates are nice as well, thanks Jeffrey!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wait a minute. I thought I was visiting a dead forum. This doesn't sound dead to me at all.
It's alive? :science:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

You might not be surprised to learn that there were some missing pieces in SA's infrastructure. Perhaps most appallingly among those, there had not been a database replica server running for several years. Further, if the site had a backup process in place before, it must have lived on that missing replica; there did not seem to be anything configured. You read that correctly—for many years, these forums were one malformed shell command, bad SQL query, or hardware failure away from vanishing in a puff of magic smoke.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I love Dark Mode, I have a feature request - Twitter detects when my system (OSX, if that matters) automatically switches to dark mode when the sun goes down and adjust accordingly. Some other random websites do this. Is it possible for SA to do it too?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lmao @ no backups. That's some poo poo.

Dark mode's great, now we just need optimization for mobile. Great work LAB, Astral, and Jeffrey!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I have signed up for your patreon. I would like my general support in the form of a jock strap. Thank you.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

can you make it so yospos is amber on white if you enable dark mode? instead of green or amber on black

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Posting from the dark dimension, what a world we live in :catstare:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I look forward to astral posting in the "dumb poo poo your work does" thread.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You don't need backups when your site is to big to sink :smug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Forums had no backup, Lowtax had no back, it's like poetry

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Flayer posted:

Dark mode. I've waited decades for this.

Feels like I'm posting in the future. This is great.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

astral posted:

Thanks for loving the forums.

You too pal, you too.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Having no backups is just more hardcore like when you do a no deaths run in video games imho

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I myself am looking forward to the new front page plans.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Forums had no backup, Lowtax had no back, it's like poetry

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Keep up the beautiful work you absolute legends.