Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Zil posted:

Empty quoting is our version of a like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Aardvark! posted:

wtf

i don't think i've ever clicked the buttons on the bottom banner before, ever

Whoa

I never saw those before!!!!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I was actually referring to the links on the top but point stands.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Aardvark! posted:

wtf

i don't think i've ever clicked the buttons on the bottom banner before, ever

I use it all the time if I'm at the bottom of a page. It's easier than scrolling all the way back up to the top.

I kind of wish the in-thread search box was duplicated inside the bottom bar as well, in fact, for the same reason.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Fuschia tude posted:

I use it all the time if I'm at the bottom of a page. It's easier than scrolling all the way back up to the top.

I kind of wish the in-thread search box was duplicated inside the bottom bar as well, in fact, for the same reason.

Did you know that if you hover over the lower left corner of the screen, a button appears that will take you to the top of the page? I never use it, but it's a neat QOL.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Armitag3 posted:

Did you know that if you hover over the lower left corner of the screen, a button appears that will take you to the top of the page? I never use it, but it's a neat QOL.
It works in the lower right also - I never use it but it's cool that it's there. I actually had no idea there was a lower-left version until this post.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It works in the lower right also - I never use it but it's cool that it's there. I actually had no idea there was a lower-left version until this post.

Just don't mess with it, could be load bearing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Soviets just used the Home key

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Soviets just used the Home key

Huh. Mine just takes me to GBS.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Zil posted:

Empty quoting is our version of a like.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Meanwhile, I have a browser tab permanently dedicated to Bookmarked Threads and just middle click all the last read posts to open them in new tabs. It's been months since I last clicked the stuff at the top or bottom.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That's a cloudfare feature added by lowtax when he turned on a bunch of cloudfare stuff years ago.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'd like to thank whoever changed the no new private messages text from "Nobody likes you" to just "You don't have any new private messages....yet."

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's a cloudfare feature added by lowtax when he turned on a bunch of cloudfare stuff years ago.

You're thinking of the gigantic obnoxious one that was there for a while. The little ones in the corners are added by forums JS.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I think ZDR added them, and then people got so upset about them always being visible that he made them hidden until you approach the corner. And also on both sides while he was at it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

Was that when he enabled the "boost" feature and then claimed that it had immediately bankrupted the forums?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
To whoever worked on Dark mode. I really love it, but I wish my tank icon was the same whitish color as the other icons that are changed when you enter dark mode.

Is it possible I can get a fix for it?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Was that when he enabled the "boost" feature and then claimed that it had immediately bankrupted the forums?

That one was called "Argo" and it absolutely was on track to do so – he was billed over $500 for the first month during which it was on for only the tail end. The month after that, he was billed over $1500, and I believe it was not on for that whole month at which point he disabled the feature. That's $2000 which could've been used towards fixing up the site just flushed down the toilet series of tubes.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

astral posted:

That one was called "Argo" and it absolutely was on track to do so – he was billed over $500 for the first month during which it was on for only the tail end. The month after that, he was billed over $1500, and I believe it was not on for that whole month. That's $2000 which could've been used towards fixing up the site just flushed down the toilet series of tubes.

What in the world is Argo? And why is it so expensive?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Steadiman posted:

It's a route optimizer that pulls traffic over the cloudflare backbone. Akamai calls their product sureroute.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Steadiman posted:

I'm sure it sounded great without looking at the actual pricing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dynamic content caching, you say?
If only there was a thing for that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It really did make the forum super fuckin fast the month it was turned on.

(Oh hey, regular maintenance by people who know what they're doing also makes the forums a lot faster? And doesn't cost $2k a month? Wow, imagine that!)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Klyith posted:

It really did make the forum super fuckin fast the month it was turned on.

(Oh hey, regular maintenance by people who know what they're doing also makes the forums a lot faster? And doesn't cost $2k a month? Wow, imagine that!)

Jeffrey's salary is double that and a ham sandwich.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

astral posted:

That one was called "Argo" and it absolutely was on track to do so – he was billed over $500 for the first month during which it was on for only the tail end. The month after that, he was billed over $1500, and I believe it was not on for nearly a whole month. That's $2000 which could've been used towards fixing up the site just flushed down the toilet series of tubes.

Huh, guess I learned something today

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I need to correct that; after looking into it, the $1500 was "it was on for the whole month" after all. Over 15,000 GB @ $0.10/GB.

The $500 it cost him the previous month would have covered about a week and a half of use, and should have been enough of a red flag on its own.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Meanwhile, I have a browser tab permanently dedicated to Bookmarked Threads and just middle click all the last read posts to open them in new tabs. It's been months since I last clicked the stuff at the top or bottom.

can i pay :10bux: to redirect people who only browse through their bookmarks to random threads once every 100 refreshes to mess with them?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

astral posted:

I need to correct that; after looking into it, the $1500 was "it was on for the whole month" after all. Over 15,000 GB @ $0.10/GB.

The $500 it cost him the previous month would have covered about a week and a half of use, and should have been enough of a red flag on its own.

That would've required some proactivity on his part.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zil posted:

That would've required some proactivity on his part.

Nah, that would've been taking the before-hitting-button step of estimating monthly bandwidth use based on current/previous numbers and punching this number into the very complicated cost formula.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here is my major complaint with dark mode. Now text looks extra saucy when it's bolded so I have no other choice than to BOLD POST for every post. Now, this isn't really so much a problem for me but other posters might get kind of jealous and I might start like a whole thing and I'm sure all these extra bolded letters have to cost extra,

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Boldposting costs at least 7 bytes more per post. Please, consider the bandwidth costs my family is dieing

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What I found most devastating was that the "servers down" screen was not in Dark Mode :mad:

Also that I can never update my browser or the beautiful colored pencils in their own tab will go away

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That tab and your precious pencils are costing the forums 2TB of bandwidth a day :argh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

astral posted:

You're thinking of the gigantic obnoxious one that was there for a while. The little ones in the corners are added by forums JS.

I remember the annoying social media buttons as well. I thought they were added at the same time as the up arrows. Thanks for the info!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That tab and your precious pencils are costing the forums 2TB of bandwidth a day :argh:
Yeah it's actually a live video feed of real pencils. When the last person stops watching, they die. :(

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Can we get the Digg button back please?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The new purple for when you're quoted in dark mode is way better than the blue was, very good change

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Rarity posted:

The new purple for when you're quoted in dark mode is way better than the blue was, very good change

Huuuuh, what??? :mods:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

Yeah, this is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dark mode is really nice. Up until now I've been using the Dark Reader plugin

Also it's weird to actually have a new feature in the forums. Not used to actual development happening :v: