Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh this sounds fun. I want to play too! English is not my first language, but I will try to figure out some of those, without having any clue about the setting or the context.

That's a nasty infection with cold-like symptoms. I had a shot against that a few months ago. Around here you get that in the same syringe as hepatitis, polio and tetanus. My arm was sore for days.

Imagine you have a guy. Then you add another one. Both are called "Jake". This is a set of those.
Having looked it up, it's an old word for an outhouse.

This, I am reasonably sure, is just a tripod on two legs, which seems structurally unsound.

Probably a bastardization of the German town of Osnabrück. Just replace the bridge by a castle, I guess.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Is this a town you just knew about already?

I used to drive past it sometimes. Not exactly a remarkable place, but if you'd ask a German, it would at least sound vaguely familiar to them.

I'm not ashamed to say that I knew none of those and wont remember them either. Why does the English language need a word for a naturally grown club? Also I have no idea how that would be pronounced. Is that Gaelic?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 24, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I got nothing. Most of those seem like typos of semicommon words. I'm gonna assume tha the author just didn't know that the proper term is fusillo. Now the real question is, why does the story resolve around a singular noodle.

Is chary maybe the word stem of charity? My browser doesn't even accept it as a word. Could be a name, I guess.

Are all of those English words, or is this some fantasy setting, where a quirt is the name for some fire-breathing nightingale?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 24, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So did you actually knew these words and searched the corresponding dictionary entries, in lieu of spelling out what they are? Because if you just looked up some definitions that's just lame.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

not as lame as having a browser that doesn't recognize chary or pressing the assumption that mccarthy is making words up

I was genuinely asking, if some words (not necessarily those) might be specific to the world of that book and therefore made up. Nothing wrong with that. Every author of different worlds makes up new words. Unless the most generic ones who exclusively use stuff which has been defined somewhere else. You seem weirdly hostile about this. But let's just leave it at that.

Doc Fission please continue your good work. I like your list of weird words I've never heard. This is a fun thread.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

though I am curious how you figure out the meaning of words you don't know since looking them up is lame

Just in the context of this thread. Of course I look stuff up to actually understand things.
But here it is better to make blind guesses, or actually flaunt some semi-obscure knowledge.
If it was about looking up dictionaries Doc Fission could do it themselves.

Speaking of:

Devon is a geologic period. It's known for trilobites and ammonites. So those would be devonian fossils.
Alternatively Devon is a British region which gave the period its name. So you might be able to buy devonian turnips, or other things coming from that region.
Artism's comment makes me think the former is more likely.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Number of Words From Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian That Doc Fission Did Not Know: 38
Number of Words From Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian That Doc Fission Did Know: 10203

Is that cross referenced for duplicates?