Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Three of their identities? Did Kasen finally give up and admit that she's an Oni instead of pretending to be a hermit? Or was someone else revealed as one of the Deva?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ChaosStar0 posted:

Three of their identities? Did Kasen finally give up and admit that she's an Oni instead of pretending to be a hermit? Or was someone else revealed as one of the Deva?

Wild and Horned Hermit confirmed that she's a Deva, with her original title being The Cunning and Treacherous Oni.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

BisbyWorl posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit confirmed that she's a Deva, with her original title being The Cunning and Treacherous Oni.

Finally. It had already been heavily hinted, but it's good for confirmation.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

BisbyWorl posted:

it also did so in a way which was very Metal Gear Solid-esque, by way of a second personality contained within her old arm

proving that you can have a character be a hermit buddhist mom AND a big ol' chuuni

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Alright, this one was a little rough, because halfway through recording I realized I wasn't recording; dxtory's overlay doesn't show up on VBA. Unfortunately that means these gym attempts won't be as blind as I'd like.

This is the team I'm taking into the next few gyms.

Mystia is... a little rough. I shouldn't care about natures too much for singleplayer, but her Bold nature is...claustrophobic. I might honestly grind out a new one just so I can have a bit more power behind me.

Enoki's more or less the same, but Spore is there. It's not actually Spore; it's 80acc Confuse Ray.

You all said Utsuho in the Water gym was a bad idea, but Morning Sun doesn't lie.

Yamame being stuck with the effectively-30-power Dig is a little rough, but it had some uses I didn't think of initially.

An EoSD team was suggested, but that's way too much type overlap considering what we have now. As compromise, I ground out a Sakuya, which was about as much fun as it sounds. :v: Luckily, the fact that Rin is accessible means I can have a gang of Pickup Packrats, so Rare Candies start coming in a bit easier now.

And, of course, the highly suggested Patchouli.

The first trainer had this. You may say to yourself, "MY GOD, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE," but trust me.

That water will be underground sooner rather than later.

Even the 40 power Ember just nukes Cirno straight off the face of the planet.

The girl before Misty tries her best.

It's not good enough.

That is...5 Touhous.

Sorry about these pictures kinda sucking, by the way; I was very extremely frustrated while recording and did most of it while fast-forwarded. Maybe I should have dxtory record more frames...

The fact that Water Pulse isn't an OHKO is...kinda depressing.

Her Sanae only has Water Gun, so even Mystia's...underwhelming power can take her out.

I sack her to get a safe switchin for Utsuho while also stalling out Safeguard; not that relevant, but you never know.

Water/Ghost Komachi also stands no chance.

You just got swept by a fire-type. Misty should just fuckin' resign.

:psyboom:

OKAY, SURE. LEVEL 23 WITH FLAMETHROWER, SEE IF I CARE.

That is, in fact, 95/100 Flamethrower. Good loving lord.

The concept of giving Sakuya Water Pulse to deal with Marisa is extremely funny. Might be worth considering if you started with her.

Anyways, with my powers of foresight, I know that Surge is gonna be a problem, so I beat up the rest of this Route.

It goes about as well as you'd expect.

Using Patchouli can be rough just because of her absolutely miniscule HP. In hindsight, I probably should have just used the Moon Stone on her immediately.

Look, Rumia, STRENGTH! We can use this to move big rocks!

...gently caress dude you sure do

Hey all, Iku here. Holding a Gubble.

I don't have much to say, honestly; none of the trainers are particularly exciting.

Nothing on-hand can learn Brick Break except Sakuya, which would be kind of a waste.

Steel isn't immune to Poison anymore, only a resist.

Genji, huh? Alright.

I go out to Route 11 and beat up everyone there as well before moving on to the rival fight.

Also, Ice no longer beats Ground, and...

...You know what? I'm not gonna worry too much about A+Y's type chart anymore. I'm like 99% sure this is the only game that has it.

OH, COME ON

These Luna Childs can't do much to Yamame, so they just default to Torment.

Iku, on the other hand, has a pretty mean Twister.

These Chens are becoming a problem...

Mhm.

Speaking of "quickly becoming a problem", Enoki being stuck with Thundershock.

Also that. I hate that.

Momiji is the anti-problem, at least.

As is Sakuya.

Bug STAB would make Patchouli a non-threat as well, but Sludge works well enough.

See 'ya.

Unfortunately, Cut is a 60 power Normal move.

I throw it on Sakuya since Leer isn't especially useful anymore, but I really wish I didn't have to.

Ah, right on cue. Needle Arm is only 60 power, but it's better than nothing. I replace Mud Sport.

Now, this is the average power of the guys in Surge's gym. Where would you expect Surge's power level to be?

Well, he starts with this. Remember when I said Luna Childs earlier couldn't hurt Yamame? Forget that; his has Flash, a 60/90 Psychic move with a 70 proc Accuracy lower.

Also this, which is NOT sucked up by Volt Absorb.

Thankfully she's not THAT bulky, but EX stats are EX stats.

And that doesn't help :argh:

A good Confusion proc got that out of the way, at least...

His Marisa is...

...Thankfully neutering itself by only using Swift, but WHAT?!

That took two Digs.

Oh, good, now she's here. Water/Electric.

I use Mystia as a meatshield to heal up Yamame.

Mystia actually survives, but she's too slow to get in a Sing.

Pipice is Crabhammer.

...I thought it would be funny.

Spore comes in handy, buying me some time.

Marisa and Sakuya wear her down eventually, not helped by Chiyuri deciding to waste time with Snatch.

Huuuurgh. This'll be rough.

God, she's taking less damage than Luna Child. Patchouli's health is pretty low too.

Yamame is able to come in, but it's close.

Thankfully, Dig burned the last turn of Iku's Reflect.

And Shou's chibi stats are too weak to eat a Dig, getting us a close game.

That was...rough. Thankfully, though, the game opens up significantly now.

...I guess, in hindsight, I could have skipped Surge too...hm...

Mystia hits 21 in Yamame's Cave, since I'm going to grab Flash. Wing Attack has a flinch chance attached to it for some reason, and that kind of becomes a staple of Touhoumon.

:toot:

Remember what I said about Marisa's lack of coverage? This should help against Ground and Grass types.

Route 9 has one new encounter, but it's shared with Route 10, so I'll do it then.

Thankfully, these Touhous are a little more reasonably leveled. Makes me wonder if Aqua intended you go come back and do Surge later...

Aerial Ace is a Steel-type move, which...makes sense, considering its origin, but does make the move blend in a bit. Especially since Mystia can't learn it; it's not like Steel Wing isn't a move I'll be able to get eventually. :argh:

Replaced Metal Claw.

This Luna Child and Star Sapphire keep baton passing between eachother for no benefit aside from annoying me.

Alright, let's get to Route 10's encounters.

First off, Cirno.

CCirno, the Fairy Touhou.

An ice fairy.
Refers to herself as 'atai.'
Aims to be the strongest!

Ice, with Water Veil or Vital Spirit as abilities. Becomes Ice/Water upon evolving into ECirno.

Evolves into Cirno at level 18, who evolves into ECirno at level 36.

60/50/35/60/10/55 > 75/60/60/85/30/70 > 85/70/80/120/50/95

Cirno's fairly standard. She takes a bit to get going relative to her peers, but 120 is a nice offensive stat. Wish that 95 was more like a 105, but it's fine. Advent Cirno, despite being the basis for the Advent forms, isn't actually a branch from Cirno, but her own separate line, so I won't be covering her.

Of note is her signature move, Icicle Fall, which is just Icicle Spear.

Cirno is probably the most iconic Touhou character aside from Flandre. Even from her first appearance, she gained notoriety from one of her Spell Cards, Icicle Fall, having a blind spot right in her face. When Phantasmagoria of Flower View released, the manual included a fairly standard number-to-picture diagram, but the 9th bullet point was pointed at Cirno, referring to her as an idiot. Thus, her legacy was sealed. Not that it comes without reason; Cirno is a fairy. While she is fairly smart and strong for a fairy, being able to read, do math, and hold her own against some weaker youkai, she's still not especially strong. Her pride can get her over her head, such as fighting Marisa as the extra stage boss of her own game, Fairy Wars, but she can't truly die; fairies are immortal in Touhou. In fact, Cirno is at least 60. Her power is the manipulation of cold.

CHatate, the Tengu Touhou.

An inexperienced photographer
who dreams of being a famous reporter
Kakashi Spirit News is her paper.

Normal/Flying, with Keen Eye or Concentrate as abilities. Becomes Psychic/Flying upon evolving into Hatate.

Evolves into Hatate at level 30.

40/50/30/40/70/60 > 90/90/80/80/110/80

Hatate is weird. The (possibly untrue?) story goes that she was a late addition to the original Japanese version, so there weren't enough sprites at the time to make her three stages. So, at level 30, you have something with EX level BST...which is probably why her distribution is so mediocre. She's fine, I guess; Bird Hakurei (to the point of having Focus Flight for...some...reason) has some appeal, but there are a ton of better birds. She's not even that fast!

Hatate Himekaidou is the writer of a rival newspaper to Aya. Unlike Aya, who goes out and does field research, Hatate has the power of "spirit photography", which lets her access Google Images. I'm not kidding, here's what the Wiki describes the power as.

quote:

Hatate's ability allows her to be aware of distant happenings. Her thoughtography is similar to telegnosis, with the addition of being able to take pictures with it. She takes pictures by inputting keywords into her camera, which brings up the associated photos. With this ability, Hatate can gather information and pictures without ever having to leave her room. This makes it a very convenient ability for journalism but because thoughtography relies on what has already been heard, the articles Hatate writes lack speed and freshness.

Beyond that, she's fairly similar to Aya, except pretty lazy and more accepting of things such as modern technology. Also, her spirit photography is more than likely another Jojo reference.

Also I feel the need to draw attention to Hatate's chibi sprite.

Okay. Rumia's Cave. Let's get the encounters out of the way first.

First up is Suika.

CSuika, the SmallOni Touhou.

A tiny two-horned oni girl.
Able to manipulate density.

Rock/Fighting, with Hi Strength for an ability.

Evolves into Suika at level 26, who then evolves into ESuika at level 42.

100/60/35/30/35/50 > 120/80/50/55/50/65 > 140/130/60/70/60/80

HP Tank with a huge Attack stat. 80 speed means she's more of a tankbuster than a sweeper. 70 Special Attack is...I mean it's obviously not especially good but it's surprisingly not terrible, and she gets some Electric and Fire coverage. She's pretty solid.

Suika Ibuki is an oni, and another one of the "big four" of the Mountain. She's fairly childish, but don't let that fool you; she's ridiculously strong and nearly always drunk. She has a gourd that can turn water into sake, and not only can she use it to get sloshed, but she can also use it for firebreathing. She also has the power to manipulate density; high density increases heat, and low density can turn an object into mist. She can also turn herself into mist, into multiple smaller copies of herself, or into a giant.

YOU. YOUUUUUUUUUUUU.

This rear end in a top hat took me eight minutes from finding Suika to find, and ten minutes overall...at six-to-seven hundred percent speed. And this is where I realized I wasn't recording last time; It took me even longer then, at the same speed.

CKomachi, the Shinigami Touhou.

An apprentice shinigami girl.
Works at her own pace and
loves to slack off.

Water/Ghost, with Own Temp for an ability.

Evolves into Komachi at level 24, who evolves into EKomachi with a Water Stone.

60/70/50/35/35/40 > 80/90/60/60/50/60 > 95/115/90/70/70/80

Don't catch Komachi here.

Don't get me wrong, these stats are...fine. A ghost-type physical attacker is quite nice, and while her special attack is unfortunate for the water subtype, it's not the worst. She's decently bulky, too, but my God. She's too rare here. There has to be another place to get her, there just has to be. Even if not, just...don't grind her out. Not worth it.

She has two Signature moves: Life Counter and Life Balance. The former is Super Fang, the latter is Pain Split.

Komachi Onozuka is the shinigami and ferryman for Gensokyo. Her job is to take lost souls to the afterlife, and across the Sanzu River. She's pretty lazy about it, though; she's very carefree. While she can use her scythe as a weapon, she's not actually at liberty to take a life. It is instead to put spirits at ease and let them know their time has come. She also hates Tenshi, due to Celestials in general escaping the cycle of life and death, and being unable to actually put her back in. Her power is the manipulation of distance, which she uses to travel, to mess with foes (such as making it appear they aren't getting any closer to her, even if they actually are), as well as for her job; she can manipulate the length of the Sanzu River.

I do some grinding while I'm looking for her; I actually get the entire party to level 26.

God, 80 Special Attack is just :allears:. The only one who compares is Patchouli, at 78.

This guy...Okay, Aqua, what the hell is your problem? What is this doing here?

It's not even, like, a real problem. It's just annoying with Confuse Ray.

There's also a guy with Meiling. We still haven't had the opportunity to catch CMeiling.

The sheer number of fights has left my team a little worse for wear. A Yuugi specifically did way more damage than I was prepared for.

Yeesh.

I honesty avoided the last few fights; I need to come back for these.

Of course, at some point, fights find me.

But I squeezed through. I don't actually have too much to say about Lavender, though the Name Rater is open now if you have any ideas. I'm reserving the name for Utsuho for now, though.

Pickup :allears:

Diva makes Mystia a problem, so I'm putting a stop to that right the gently caress now.

Also, Great Balls and Revives.

And then I run back for the guys in the cave, as well as everyone outside. Not much else of note.

No, I don't know why Take Down is in Marisa's moveset.

o7

That guy aside, I cut through here and skip the rest of the trainers, both for the new encounter and to get to Celadon as soon as possible.

CMeiling, the Gatekeeper Touhou.

An apprentice gatekeeper with
the ability to manipulate Chi.
Often takes afternoon naps.

Fighting, with Gate Keeper (Suction Cups) as an ability. Becomes Fighting/Dragon upon evolving into EMeiling.

Evolves into Meiling at level 22, who then evolves into EMeiling at level 38, AMeiling with a Sun Stone, or FMeiling with a Moon Stone.

65/70/70/10/10/55 > 90/90/90/20/20/80 > 100/110/110/50/50/90

Meiling is extremely minmaxed. 100 HP can soak up a special hit or two, but she's clearly not meant to be taking them. She's a bruiser, plain and simple, and she does that job pretty well. The Dragon subtype is almost entirely pointless, but at least it offers good resistances.

AMeiling, the ADVENT Touhou.

The owner of the coffeeshop,
7th Shanghai Tea Heaven.
A dependable older-sister-like girl.

Fighting, with Advent as her only ability.

120/100/100/50/70/90

Eh. Not bad; more bulk is nice, but fighting isn't a great defensive type. Advent is probably better than Gate Keeper, but overall I'm not super impressed.

Meiling is based on Tifa.

FMeiling, the Final Touhou.

The true wall of SDM.
Though, no one can remember
this legendary warriors name.

Fighting/Dragon, with Gate Keeper or Battle Armor as abilities.

130/90/120/20/80/90

Same case as before, but the Dragon subtype lets it have a bit more bulk. Offensively it's even worse; that whopping TWENTY Special Attack is worse than most chibis, and 90 Attack is a little less than impressive, but she's fine. Better than some other Finals, at least.

Hong Meiling is the gatekeeper for the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and is a youkai of unspecified type. She's fairly laid back in her job, but she's no slouch in a fight; her danmaku is unimpressive but her hand-to-hand combat is very mean. Her ability is to use qi/chi/ki in a battle, much like a martial artist in fiction, which is fitting since Meiling is known to read manga made by the Kappa.

Her name, Hong Meiling, is actually the Chinese way to pronounce the characters that make up her name. If read in Japanese, they would read "Kurenai Misuzu", and this discrepancy led to a bit of confusion in the fandom at the time. People ultimately settled on "China" as a nickname, which also fit due to the excessively Chinese theming of her stage, song, and aesthetic.

Route 7 actually has no encounters either.

We made it. This is where the game changes.

...Do I have to explain Yukkuris? I really don't want to...

In place of Eevee is ReisenII.

ReisenII, the Moon-Rabbit Touhou.

Reisen is not her true name, but in fact
a given name by the Watasuki sisters.
No one knows her real name as of yet.

Normal/Psychic, with Trace as her ability.

80/65/85/110/100/100

A mostly better EReisen, though worse bulk. The level up movepool is also pretty poor, so if you want to use her, you'll probably be spending TMs. She has Metronome, though, so that's exceptionally funny.

Reisen (spelled differently in Japanese, and generally referred to as Rei'sen in English) is the pet rabbit of the Watasukis, taken in partially due to her committing the crime of esaping to Earth, and partially because they miss the real Reisen, who also fled to Earth but didn't return. That's...about all I can say about her.

Alright, let's get this out of the way.

....Alright.

In order, they are CKeine, CTei, CAlice, ELunachild, and CVIVIT. We've seen three of these, so let's go with the others.

You know what Keine looks like.

CKeine, the History Touhou.

A were-hakutaku girl. One of the
few in this world with common
sense and reasonableness.

Steel, with Inner Focus as an ability. Becomes Steel/Psychic upon becoming EKeine, or Steel/Fighting upon becoming EKeine H.

Evolves into Keine at level 22, who splits into EKeine or EKeine H with the Tyrogue check at level 38.

40/50/50/50/50/40 > 55/75/75/75/75/55 > 80/85/85/100/100/70 (EKeine) or 70/110/100/75/85/80 (EKeine H)

Neither Keine is especially amazing, but they're not too bad, I suppose. I wish EKeine was bulkier, or HKeine was stronger, but they're...fine as-is. I think it's just the Steel-type, which isn't super impressive offensively, and is even less so for EKeine, who has to split her offensive stats.

EKeine has a signature move that HKeine doesn't get, Hidden Past. It's Haze.

Keine Kamishiwasara is a were-hakutaku, turning into a hakutaku (also known as a bai ze) under the Full Moon. She's a fairly calm and friendly individual, protecting the Human Village while also serving as a schoolteacher. She can "erase" history as a human, concealing what she's hidden from general view, and "create" history as a hakutaku, though what this entails is extremely vague.

CVIVIT, the Maid Touhou.

Using the most advanced technologies,
scientists finally succeeded in making the
first artificial Touhou .

Fire, with Blaze as her ability.

Evolves into VIVIT at level 35.

65/60/70/85/75/40 > 90/90/85/100/85/80

VIVIT is a sad case of missed potential. Her chibi stats are enormous, giving high hopes for her evolved form, but they're just... they're too Okay. You'd probably be better off with Sunny Milk than wasting time grinding out 9999 coins for her.

VIVIT is...not a Touhou character! She's the main character of Seihou Project, developed by a different team under Amusement Makers, with ZUN contributing music and having Marisa, Reimu, and Yuuka cameo. Seihou doesn't have a huge amount of lore, primarily due to having four games, one of which being an April Fool's Battle Royale game in the vein of Tetris 99. I can at least say VIVIT is a recreation of a guy's daughter who was "lost in the Other Dimension", who serves as his maid. She runs on cactus power.

A few TMs are available in the shop; 5, 15, 28, 31, 43, and 45. We've seen all of these except for 15, Danmaku; Hyper Beam.

Here, however, is where everything changes. You may think we'll buy a Fire Stone to evolve Utsuho, right?

No...

There's more to life than that.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Faillen Angel posted:

:psyboom:

OKAY, SURE. LEVEL 23 WITH FLAMETHROWER, SEE IF I CARE.
:sickos:

Faillen Angel posted:

There's more to life than that.
Wait, what?? :wtc:

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
I have to imagine it's Fire/Water, which is pretty good! Stats I have no idea, but I look forward to whatever fresh hell Faillen has to ruin other battlers against them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This game has a surprising amount of branching evolutions. I guess they wanted to give the evolution stones more use than they have in the actual Pokemon games.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
So, Touhoumon doesn't just have Final and Advent forms. It has a lot of weird stone evolutions, basically up to the whims of how much free space there was and whatever sprites happened to exist. We've...got some work to do.

I'll be grouping similar forms together, but there's not a particular order here.

NekoReimu, the Maiden Cat Touhou.

Suggested Listening

As a desperation move resorted
to moe to recieve donations.

Ground/Normal, with Speed Boost as her ability.

Evolves from CReimu with a Leaf Stone.

90/80/100/90/135/70

So, Speed Boost is nice and all, but I wasn't super sure about her. That stat spread is...pretty awkward, and her types seems downright random. Then I took a look at her level up moves.

Yes, that is a Speed Booster with basically every buff move you could ask for, and Baton Pass. NekoReimu is obscenely, impossibly broken.

NekoRemi, the Vampire Cat Touhou.

A playful vampire catgirl
who always wants her way.
Has a fondness for fish.

Ground/Flying, with Shadow Tag and Serene Grace for abilities.

Evolves from CRemilia with a Leaf Stone.

75/110/60/90/90/125

Her stats seem okay, and honestly she seems ridiculous in a competitive environment, but her level up moveset leaves something to be desired. She doesn't learn a single Ground move by level, and her only Flying move is Soar. You could use your Earthquake TM on her, but it's a bit rough that it's necessary.

NekoFlan, the Vampire Cat Touhou.

The young neko of the Scarlet Family loves
to play with yarn and eat fish as well. Her
claws/fangs are too sharp for play though.

Fire/Ground, with Serene Grace as her ability.

Evolves from CFlandre with a Leaf Stone.

60/120/65/120/65/135

Honestly, NekoFlan is pretty spooky. Good offensive stats and freakishly fast. Also, while Earthquake is the only Ground-type move she learns, she does get it by level. Serene Grace is kind of wasted on her level-up moves, but a few of her TMs could be good combos with it. This one's good.

InuSakuya, the DogMaid Touhou.

The feared inu of SDM.
Loyal to the extreme, and very deadly.
Her master is assured safety 24/7.

Steel/Ground, with Concentrate as her ability.

Evolves from CSakuya with a Water Stone.

80/90/70/100/90/120

Similar situation to NekoRemi. Her level-up movepool lacks Earthquake or any good substitute, but her stats aren't bad. She has...enough special coverage for her Special Attack, as well. She's okay, I guess. She's also a Spiker, which is uncommon.

MMSuika, the MikoOni Touhou.

Once drunk, she ivaded(sic)
the Hakurei Shrine and
messed around there.

Rock/Flying, with Serene Grace or Hakurei Miko for abilities.

Evolves from Suika with a Moon Stone.

130/110/100/70/90/80

Pretty cool, honestly. Rock/Flying is pretty uncommon, and both abilities are pretty useful. As you may expect from the theming, she inherits a few of Reimu's signatures; Flying Miko and Dream Heaven. She's a little slow for Serene Grace+Rock Slide, but you could use it to cheese out other tanks. Same thing I said with regards to ESuika's Special Attack also applies here, but Serene Grace also gives it a bit more utility.

BKeine, the Swimsuit Touhou.

Decided to take a break from teaching
history, and go on a relaxing
beach vacation.

Water/Psychic, with Water Veil or Torrent for abilities.

Evolves from Keine with a Water Stone.

70/75/80/110/110/80

BKeine has an interesting problem where a lot of what she learns before evolving is physical, so she may struggle for a bit. If you can put up with that, she's...solid. Wish she had more HP or Defense, or maybe switch her Special Defense with Speed, but as-is she's fine. Water/Psychic is fairly unique, and while she learns a bit too much useless fluff, she gets decent TM coverage.

BAlice, the Swimsuit Touhou.

After making her swimsuit to prove she can
sew clothing for others, she recieved many
requests from others and made many designs.

Water/Ice, with Swift Swim or Water Absorb for abilities.

Evolves from Alice with a Water Stone.

85/70/60/120/120/100

Ohoooo! Now this is what I call an offensive Touhou. 120/100 is amazing offensively, and under Swift Swim she's absolutely blazingly fast. For some unknown reason, she also learns Mishaguji, which is nightmarishly powerful if you can get her in the Rain. Her only issue is that she learns Ice Beam at level 21, so you'll likely want to raise a fresh CAlice; if you've taken one this far, she may have already passed it...unless you're between 22 and 27, since regular Alice learns it at level 28.

BUtsuho, the Swimsuit Touhou.

To make up for her behavior during the hot
-spring incident she made an artificial summer
during that winter and they all celebrated.

Water/Fire, with Flash Fire or Water Absorb for abilities.

Evolves from Utsuho with a Water Stone.

80/60/60/160/80/95

Remember Utsuho? Remember all of her flaws; her subpar speed, useless subtype, lack of coverage? All of that is gone. Same Special Attack, higher speed, Water subtype with Ice coverage, absurdly useful abilities, BUtsuho honestly has it all. One of the absolute best Touhous we've seen so far, and honestly probably a straight upgrade to EUtsuho.

BWriggle, the Swimsuit Touhou.

Normally tomboyish in nature, she becomes
quite the girlish spectacle when in a swim
-suit. The insect princess has many colors.

Water/Bug, with Swift Swim or Rain Dish for abilities.

Evolves from Wriggle with a Water Stone.

70/90/75/95/130/70

BWriggle is pretty flexible, being able to be a mixed attacker, decent special wall, or rain bruiser. She's a little hampered by her low base HP, and if you don't have a Drizzler, low base speed, but she's fairly solid nonetheless. Definitely a consideration for your Wriggle form.

PWriggle, the Princess Touhou.

The noble of the insects. In a competition
with Gothic Mystia. Seemingly forced into
it but isn't thinking about defeat at all.

Bug/Grass, with Infectious or Diva for abilities.

Evolves from Wriggle with a Leaf Stone.

110/90/75/80/75/100

I'm pretty sure PWriggle and GMystia are references to a doujin, but hell if I know. That aside, she's...odd, but not terrible. Her abilities are a little subpar, and her offenses are a tad low unboosted, but she's the fastest Wriggle form and still gets the Bug STAB she needs.

GMystia, the Gothic Touhou.

Gostia(sic), a nightbird in a competition
with Princess Wriggle. Her songs
can bring many youkai to her side.

Flying/Steel, with Diva or Serene Grace for abilities.

Evolves from Mystia with a Thunder Stone.

70/115/75/70/110/90

This honestly owns. Very solid attack stat, Speed that is a little low for a sweeper but very good for a defensive mon, the Special Defense to cushion her weaknesses, she's so cool. Wish her HP was better, but I really like this. Obviously Serene Grace is the better ability, and it might be a bit tough to get one, but keep your eye out for her.

Margatroid, the Youkai Touhou.

Created the two dolls
Shanghai and Hourai.
Loves to hold puppet shows.

Psychic/Ice, with Doll Wall or Doll Master for abilities.

Evolves from CAlice with a Water Stone.

95/75/90/110/90/90

I'm aggressively bored here. She's a slightly better Alice, but the differences are so miniscule it's hardly worth noting.

I guess I can mention that she's Alice, as she appeared in the PC-98 games; She didn't even have a last name then. Her book is called the Grimoire of Alice, and it supposedly contains the ultimate magic. Shinki, the final boss of Mystic Square, is the creator of Makai and everything in it, so it could be assumed she created Alice, as well. However, canonically, Alice is a human-turned-Youkai, so it's rather unclear.

This is currently all of them, but trust me, more are to come.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Oh wow, 1.5 Touhoumon just goes crazy with fandom stuff, huh? ...I wonder why the later games axed that but kept the advent forms?

Faillen Angel posted:

PWriggle, the Princess Touhou.

I'm pretty sure PWriggle and GMystia are references to a doujin, but hell if I know. That aside, she's...odd, but not terrible. Her abilities are a little subpar, and her offenses are a tad low unboosted, but she's the fastest Wriggle form and still gets the Bug STAB she needs.

Huh. Didn't know Princess Wriggle was a thing in multiple fangames. Now I kinda want to track down that doujin just to learn the context. :aaa:

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

This is why the PC-98 games aren't canon. When the shift happened ZUN threw out the PC-98 canon and made up a new one, changing many things about character's backstories.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Blaziken386 posted:

Oh wow, 1.5 Touhoumon just goes crazy with fandom stuff, huh? ...I wonder why the later games axed that but kept the advent forms?

The main reason is probably a combination of adding new official characters (1.5 mostly stops at UFO, 1.8 brings several new official characters), the 1.8 evolution system (which basically gives every character around 2-4 extra forms but without much difference designwise) and the fact that the JP Touhoumon community realeases stuff in various different patches that mix together, Touhoumon Merry is basically and English port of 1.5 JP, which itself is an evolution of 1.0 JP.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

ChaosStar0 posted:

This is why the PC-98 games aren't canon. When the shift happened ZUN threw out the PC-98 canon and made up a new one, changing many things about character's backstories.

His official word is that PC-98 is canon, but information in Windows supercedes it. He's only specifically named Genji as "probably living peacefully behind the shrine," but the 4 characters who have crossed over have directly referred to the events of the earlier games.

Blaziken386 posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier, but Advent Forms are actually official, whereas a lot of the other stuff comes from unofficial fan patches. 1.8 has Advent forms but is otherwise relatively fandom-joke-free.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hey Faillen, just a head's up: I don't think you ever actually explained what the Scarlet Sky ability does. I did see an explanation for 'Scarlet Sword', though, could it be you've been writing the wrong name?

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Ah, pbbth, you're right. Scarlet Sky is the ability, fixed it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Utsuho is kind of silly, especially since the water absorb gives her a nice opening for switch ins and such.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Alright, we've got a lot of ground to cover but not a lot to actually get done.

I'm actually recording this during the day, so the pics will look decent.

I...did a lot between updates.

Enoki is still here, and kinda struggling. Thunder Shock is a little rough.

I caught and ground out a new Mystia. She has Serene Grace. This form honestly kinda fucks, I'm very happy with my decision.

The name: Look, when you say "Gothic", my unfortunate first thought is "goffick". A lot of Poison-types stared at me. I put up my middle finger at them.

I couldn't help myself. Neko Miko Reimu was stuck in my head, which didn't help.

As for this, uh...

Well, see, Aqua edited a bunch of moves to have different "effect accuracy." For most moves, this doesn't do anything; for example, "increased critical hit rate" with 20 effect accuracy isn't a 20% crit move. Pay Day, however, does; it just has a 100% proc rate normally.

So guess what Aqua did.

I set it to 100 proc myself, just for my own peace of mind.

The name: Yaaay! Minette isn't alone anymeowre!

...Keep that in the back of your head. Whenever I get burnt out of recording this, I have more of that to work on...

:getin:

The name: Yes, that is how Cirno is pronounced. I don't like it either, but this pun is excellent.

Yamame is...working. Not much else to say there.

The name: I just thought it sounded nice.

I got sick of dying in two hits, so I just burnt the Moon Stone.

The name: I'LL USE MY F-F-F-FIRE...NO, FIRA...NO, FIRAGA...!

"CAVED" is another meme I don't really want to explain, mostly because I don't really...get it. I think it's just a stupid way to say "headbutted by Keine"

Return is unedited, so go nuts with that.

The Pickup Packrats(tm) got us sick riches.

There are a ton of trainer fights this update and almost none of them are interesting. I've gone over more or less everything they'll have.

This just feels cruel.

Nothing too special, though Satori's level-up moves will gently caress you up if you're not careful.

Girls are preparing...

I'm sure you do.

GRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You read that right, Touhou aren't people.

There are wild Keines here, but nothing else special.

...Uh, that's a little high-level...

Not like it's a problem.

And your Lily White, too.

I'll use this...eventually.

Anyways,

The guys here aren't too difficult.

...Oh, that's... Yeah, that's a step up from Thunder Shock, I guess.

Oh, and one level later...

[ b]:getin:[/b ]

B-B-B-B-BOSS TIME!

...That's...a nice waste of a move. Thanks for the Calm Mind.

Later!

The fight is over.

It tried using Thunder Punch. Cute.

Our options are Toyohime and Yorihime. Let me go over these.

Toyohime, the Lunarian Touhou.

Possesses extremely good fortune.
Able to bring together the front and
back of the moon.

Fighting/Psychic, with Limber and Trace as abilities.

Evolves into EToyohime at level 60.

100/55/55/100/100/100 > 100/65/65/130/130/110

Yorihime, the Lunarian Touhou.

The younger sister of Toyohime.
Has a brain that can easily absorb
knowledge of anything.

Fighting/Psychic, with Trace and Limber as abilities.

Evolves into EYorihime at level 60.

100/100/100/55/55/100 > 120/130/130/65/65/110

Both of them are blatantly broken. Their only move is Sketch at level 1, but they have perfect TM compatibility. Their types aren't the best considering neither of them have any mixed attacking potential at all, but Sketch on something with real stats is the hallmark of a broken design, and these two have stats even beyond the legendaries.

Watasuki no Toyohime and Watasuki no Yorihime are the sisters who are in charge of the Lunarian Defense Corps, the princesses of the moon, and are some of the most powerful characters in canon. People don't like them because they're cheatycheaty bitches who curbstomp Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, and Remilia, though that is in part to show that Reimu was slacking in her duties. ZUN has referred to them as being "too powerful to put in a game," but then said a later character is more powerful than any character in Gensokyo or the Lunar Capital. Yorihime can channel the power of Gods and is very proficient with her sword otherwise. She's supposedly more serious than her sister, but is soft towards her supposed "targets" and is on the tsun side. She's kind of a Lunarian Reimu. Toyohime can manipulate the boundary between the scientific and fantastic versions of the Moon, can link the "sea and the mountains" (Gensoyko is the mountains, the Moon is the Sea), and just has incredibly good luck in general. She's more carefree and whimsical, repeatedly attempting to take earth rabbits home with her.

I take Toyo.

Pokemon Tower...er, Hakugyokuro...Wasn't it referred to as Graze Tower before?

Whatever.

Give me money.

THE STRONGEST KOBAN EVER

Bye.

Man, imagine if Momiji was Steel-type.

Oh, on that note. Steel/Ghost Youmu.

Remember when Surge was threatening?

I can't help but read her dialogue in a voice somewhere between Tommy Coolatta and Borat.

Slots are unedited, but that's fine.

I have cash.

I mean, gotta make the name fit somehow.

Anyways, time for the Rocket Base.

DMomiji - 60/90/55/30/45/80, Normal, Intimidate
DRumia - 100/60/60/60/40/40, Dark, Shadow Tag

Careful with the Rumias.

Oh it's so over for this game. Pass 2 SAtk and 1 Spe onto Cirnobyl and everything is loving dead.

DChen - 50/75/50/75/50/80, Ground, Intimidate

DCPatchy - 25/5/5/110/80/75, Psychic, Concentrate

Uh, wow, Jesus.

DWriggle - 60/95/40/50/30/75, Bug, Intimidate/Battle Armor

Second abilities are pointless since AI Pokemon always have their first abilities.

A third Moon Stone, in case anyone has any more ideas.

Calcium...Wait a second!

I am a dumbass and forgot the true spoils of pickup.

All down the drain for cash, obviously.

I want this for Ominas.

Anyways.

He is a nonthreat.

Five new encounters here, some of which are also found on the trainers.

Yep.

CMerlin, the Poltergeist Touhou.

A poltergeist apprentice trumpeter.
Manically obsessive over things
she is interested in.

50/50/30/50/40/40 > 60/75/50/75/50/55 > 75/105/65/105/70/80

CLyrica, the Poltergeist Touhou.

An apprentice keyboardist
poltergeist. Easily excited
and cunning.

50/30/45/30/45/60 > 65/55/60/55/60/75 > 75/80/80/90/70/115

CLunasa, the Poltergeist Touhou.

Ghostly violinist.
Pessimistically melancholic.

50/35/55/35/55/30 > 65/55/75/55/75/45 > 75/75/105/70/105/70

Ghost, with Poltergeist as their ability.

They evolve into their second form at level 22, and become their third form at level 38.

Pure Ghost isn't a great type no matter what, but admittedly we are somewhat short on options. Of these, I'd probably say Merlin is the best and Lunasa is the worst. Their movepools are all pretty shallow offensively, save for Psychic on all of them, Merlin's Flamethrower and Fire Blast, Lyrica's Thunderbolt and Thunder, and Lunasa's Ice Beam and Blizzard. They all also can Baton Pass certain buffs; Merlin, Safeguard Minds Eye (Swords Dance) and Mana Charge, Lyrica, Reflect Agility and Tailwind, Lunasa, Light Screen Barrier and Calm Mind.

They also all share unique moves; Performance, which is Ghost 50 power Uproar, and Prism Live, which is 70 Power 20 proc Ghost Ancient Power. The latter could be a scary Baton Pass.

The sisters Prismriver are a trio of Poltergeists made in the image of three sisters by Layla Prismriver, a human from the outside world who didn't want to let go of the house she and her sisters grew up in after being orphaned. Though the sisters have long since passed away, the poltergeists remain in the mansion, which was transported to Gensokyo through unknown means. They have the ability to play their instruments without needing to touch them, though theoretically this could extend to moving non-instrument items as well. Their personalities aren't especially defined, but there is some amount of extrapolation that could be taken from their abilities; Lunasa plays notes that are melancholic in nature, calming people down but potentially making them depressed in too high a concentration, Merlin plays manic notes, which...are the opposite, and Lyrica plays "illusionary" notes, which make both manic and melancholic notes easier to hear, balancing them out for a group performance.

However, it seems that Hemo liked Lunasa, because she has something special about her.

BLunasa, the Swimsuit Touhou.

In order to cheer up from her melancholic
state, she ventured to the Sanzu River
for a swim with her violin in float.

Ghost/Water, with Swift Swim and Rain Dish as abilities.

Evolves from Lunasa with a Water Stone.

70/65/80/85/125/75

Yes, this is real. Lunasa, and only Lunasa, has a Swimsuit form. She's also still bad.

I mean, she's an improvement, but not by much. Her bulk is undercut by low HP, even if Rain Dish is a solid ability, and her movepool is still dismal. In fact, it might be worse, due to the lower Attack. I guess if you wanted a Special Komachi...?

CYoumu, the Half-Ghost Touhou.

A half-ghost half-human apprentice
swordsman. Despite being half-ghost,
she appears to be afraid of ghosts.

Ghost, with Inner Focus or Insomnia for abilities. Becomes Ghost/Steel upon evolving into Youmu.

Evolves into Youmu at level 24, who evolves into EYoumu at level 40.

45/75/75/30/30/45 > 60/95/100/45/45/65 > 80/120/125/55/75/85

Physically chunky bruiser, here, somewhat let down by her HP. She's a little slow for her intended role as a sweeper, unfortunately, but that just makes her an excellent tankbuster. She can also set up with Minds Eye and throw out Blade Flash to circumvent her low speed. Very solid.

FYoumu, the Final Touhou.

Her swords are named the
Roukanken ( Lookout-Tower sword),
Hakurouken (White Tower sword).

Steel/Ghost, with Shell Armor and Battle Armor as abilities. I'm like 90% sure these are both Battle Armor clones, but one of them might be Sturdy.

Evolves from Youmu with a Moon Stone.

100/95/135/50/90/70

She's... alright. Steel/Ghost is a hell of a type prior to Gen 6. There's an odd issue with the movepools as well, as FYoumu won't learn Minds Eye, but Youmu will at level 48...after FYoumu stops learning moves. She also learns Hisou Sword for some reason, and it...might actually be useful, considering no Youmu form learns Earthquake.

Speaking of signature moves, all Youmu forms share one, known as Petal Storm. It's a 95/95 Steel move with a 20% chance of raising Attack.

Youmu Konpaku is perhaps the world's strongest butler. A servant to Yuyuko (who we'll get to in just a moment), she's very direct and easy to manipulate. She's not exactly dim, but is perhaps socially malajusted; she struggles to understand Yuyuko. She is a half-phantom, which is to say she is a human followed by a ghostly...wisp of some kind, which she controls consciously. The dex entries kind of stole my thunder for other interesting things to say about her.

Exclusive to the top floor, it's Yuyuko.

CYuyuko, the Ghost Touhou.

The princess of the dead.
Generally relaxed. Although you
can see her, you can't feel her.

Ghost, with Levitate as her ability. Becomes Ghost/Grass upon evolving into EYuyuko.

Evolves into Yuyuko at level 24, who then evolves into EYuyuko at level 44. (Very cute.)

50/50/30/80/70/30 > 70/75/45/100/90/40 > 120/80/60/120/110/60

This is the general build Yuyuko tends to have in these hacks, to my memory; lowish bulk sponged by huge HP, not super fast, but a lot of power. 80 Attack isn't...bad, but the purpose here is clearly the Special Attack, which she's pretty solid at. Ice coverage (again, very cute) and Dream Eater means she has something to do beyond her STABs.

AYuyuko, the Advent Touhou.

Suggested listening.

The One Winged Butterfly. If her powerful
swordsmanship wasn't deadly enough
she can invoke death into mortals.

Ghost/Grass, with Advent for her ability.

Evolves from Yuyuko with a Leaf Stone.

115/85/70/125/80/85

More of a tankbuster with that speed, but still more or less the same. Advent is cute, and she gets some neat tools like Occult Dance (Ghost Superpower), Petal Storm, and Destiny Bond, but her stats are still overwhelmingly special. It feels like a mistake, honestly; everything else about her is physical, I almost want to edit her stats to reverse them. In fact, if that affects your voting any, I'll do that; if you want me to use AYuyuko, I'll switch her Atk and SAtk. That aside, she's...different Yuyuko. But the novelty of Sephiroth on your team is worth

Advent Yuyuko is based on Sephiroth, which seemed a bit odd, but considering what Advent Children is about, I guess it makes more sense.

FYuyuko, the Final Touhou.

Known for her incredible appitite,
and has a food-related metaphor
for any situation.

Ghost/Grass, with Levitate for her ability.

Evolves from Yuyuko with a Moon Stone.

135/75/85/100/125/40

BIG CHUMBO. Unfortunately she's still pretty similar to regular Yuyuko, but the sheer CHUMBY nature of this one is worth notice.

Yuyuko Saigyouji is the "Princess" of the dead. When she was a human, the power to invoke death in life awoke in her, and she was horrified. She committed suicide, and her body sealed the Saigyou Ayakashi, a tree-turned-youkai that absorbs the blood and soul of anyone who rests underneath it when in bloom. Despite this depressing backstory, Yuyuko is a very carefree, flighty individual. She tried to force the Ayakashi to bloom, completely unaware that the body sealing it was hers. She has an insatiable appetite, and tends to treat Youmu like a toy. However, it's something of an act; she's very perceptive underneath the surface, deducing the true culprit of two separate incidents and out-planning Yukari's plan to scare Eirin (which I'll go over later, because it's a very fun story).

Very nice.

The trainers basically all have midle forms of the Prismrivers.

And the ghost is just a Lunasa. Nothing really special here.

None of the Rocket grunts have anything new.

Guess what I forgot to do! :V

We're going this way first.

Genji, the Turtle Touhou.

A turtle whose long life has
seen him learn many things.
Able to fly.

Rock/Flying, with Marvel Shell (Marvel Scale) as an ability.

60/45/255/30/50/30

Genji is the first of what I will describe as "Jokemon Light". He's not a joke on the level of Unown or Delibird, but he's clearly designed with a gimmick in mind first. 255 Defense is literally the highest you can go, but 60 HP is...depressing. If he got Body Press, he'd be hysterical, but sadly he was ten years ahead of his time. His movepool is functional but nothing special either.

Genji is...not much of a character. Reimu rode on him in the PC-98 games before she learned to fly. He's basically just an old wise man. According to ZUN, he is "probably hanging out in the lake at the back of the shrine."

Before we go, Genji was a pain in the rear end, so I grab a bunch more of these. This should last me a while.

Bikers basically all have the same few Touhous.

Minette gets exceedingly more :getin:

Oh, hey! First exploding Hina.

We're here!

...Oh, yeah! There was nothing new on the previous routes! :toot:

...Save for the evolved forms of things we've seen already, which I don't have the patience for.

One of the trainers has this, though.

Bill's house, has, uh...huh?

???

This isn't even "the other fossil," I took the Witch Fossil. This is just...a free CKirisame.

...Cool?

As far as I can tell, on regular routes, the Good and Super Rods don't give us anything we haven't seen already.

:negative:

No!

Very nice.

Route 15...also has nothing new!

Pay Day is too useful. I'm keeping this.

Pandemia evolves into a Spider Tank.

A TM for Rain Dance, in case you got impatient for your setter.

Mhm.

This would be nice on Advent Mystia, but is pretty worthless here.

This route over here...actually has new stuff!

Shou, the Tiger Touhou.

The strongest and most faithful servant
of Vaisravana. Youkai trust her and she
has great leadership skills. A true big sis.

Electric/Ground with Sticky Hold as an ability.

Evolves from CShou at level 34 (yes) and into EShou at level 48.

45/70/40/55/40/50 > 65/100/55/75/50/75 > 85/130/70/100/80/95

Shou kinda owns honestly. I like mixed attackers, and she's got a good type for it too. Sticky Hold is kind of a nothing ability, but definitely keep her in mind.

Shou Toramaru is such a bizarre character. She is a youkai not of a tiger, but of stories about tigers, due to them not being native to Japan. She's fiercely alcoholic, which wouldn't be out of place aside from her being a fuckin' Buddhist, and despite being an avatar for Bishamonten, God of warfare, her spear is fake.

Nue, the--

Hey!

...the Nue Touhou.

Holder of the Seed of Unknown Form can
hide the true forms of things as well
as herself. A powerful illusory beast.

Dark/Flying, with Color Change for an ability.

Evolves from Nue at level 16, and evolves into ENue at level 36.

50/50/50/50/50/70 > 65/75/50/70/50/100 > 80/90/80/85/75/130

Speedy mixed utility with moderate attacking power. She can Transform if you're into that, but her movepool has a lot of frustration tools, including Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Magic Coat, Will-O-Wisp, and Optical Camo. She also has very wide TM coverage.

Nue Houjuu is...a Nue. Unlike Satori, however, there's no real connection between her power and the beast. She has the power to "make things unidentifiable", which hides their true form and leaves the brain to fill in the rest. She's a prankster, though she does have enough of a conscience to realize that her more malicious pranks do contribute to the persecution of Youkai. She hasn't become a Buddhist like Koishi, but she hangs out with them.

Hijiri, the Sealed Touhou.

A powerful mage whos magic can increase
her physical abilities. Gained eternal
youth thanks to youkai and cares for them.

Psychic/Fighting, with Synchronize as an ability. Psychic as CHijiri.

Evolves from CHijiri at level 30, and evolves into Hijiri at level 55.

45/70/60/50/45/45 > 60/95/70/70/50/65 > 90/125/70/90/75/90

An offensive variant on Hakurei, having a colossal physical attack stat and a Special Attack that is good enough, especially with her learning Psycho Boost. However, she doesn't learn it until Level 70, and she isn't fully evolved until level 55, so you'll be waiting for a while with her. Not awful; in fact, you could argue she's a pseudo-legend of sorts (even though she doesn't have 600 BST), but she's a lil' rough.

Of note is her signature move, Preach. It's Metal Sound. Would have gone with Screech myself, for the pun, but whatever.

Byakuren Hijiri was a Buddhist miracle worker, up until her brother, Myouren Hijiri, died. His death instilled a fear of mortality in her, and she went to great lengths to keep her youth, leading her to becoming a magician youkai. She began to treat other youkai well, at first to make sure her immortality would stick, but eventually realizing that youkai were truly in need of kindness. This kindness led to people scorning her, eventually sealing her away. Her followers unsealed her in Gensokyo, and she's been a representative of Buddhism there ever since. She's become known as something of a Youkai Jesus, though she's not truly all-loving; she did leave a certain later character out in the rain due to her bad luck powers. She's still realistically as close as you're going to get.

You can find chibi forms of all three of them here, but look at those evolution levels and tell me that's a good idea.

There are a few more up here, as well as being able to get Nazrin at a decent rate, in case you wanted the FACADE FUCKER.

CIchirin, the Monk Touhou.

A Nun youkai. Loyally takes orders and
carries them out best she can. Has the
power to control Nyudo Unzan.

Normal, with Pure Power for her ability. Becomes Normal/Fighting upon evolving into Ichirin.

Evolves into Ichirin at level 23, who evolves into EIchirin at level 40.

60/50/40/60/35/35 > 70/60/80/95/70/65 > 80/85/90/110/80/90

Ichirin is a nightmarishly strong mixed attacker. 110 Special Attack is already good, slightly tempered by not learning any special moves as EIchirin (a trait shared with most UFO Touhous, keep them in their middle forms until you're sure of their movesets), but Pure Power is a loving nightmare ability. See, Pure Power doesn't double the base stat. She doesn't have base 170 Attack. Pure Power doubles the stat after investment. If you were to give her 252 EVs, a perfect IV, and a beneficial nature, she'd end up with a raw stat of 591, approximately base 219.5. Mega Mewtwo X, the strongest physical attacker in Pokemon, has a raw stat of 526. That's not to say she's as broken as Mega Mewtwo X; she definitely doesn't have Mewtwo's ridiculous movepool, speed, or even type, but if you give her an inch, she can take a fuckin' mile.

Ichirin Kumoi is a human-turned-youkai, who defeated the Nyuudo Unzan. Unzan then swore fealty to her out of respect. Unzan is basically a Stand, the most MANLY character in Touhou, and prior to Ichirin's appearance in the fighting games, was the real boss; Ichirin was just his hitbox.

And we made it back up without much incident; just a lot of cannon fodder.

Here's what our team is looking like now. We're ready for whatever you decide we do next.

Also, while I'm not covering the encounters now, I do go and clean out the Safari Zone.

And, for now at least, that's everything.

Faillen Angel fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 11, 2021

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

This sure isn't the most well-balanced Pokemon game out there.

Faillen Angel posted:

"CAVED" is another meme I don't really want to explain, mostly because I don't really...get it. I think it's just a stupid way to say "headbutted by Keine"

Not sure if I really want to explain it either, even though I do know the origins...

But well, it's origins are from the japanese verb "horu" which means something like "Dig" or "Excavate" but can also be interpreted as "Violate anally".
And then from what I know, that got machine translated to CAVED.
So, yeah, it means to get anally violated by EX Keine.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Faillen Angel posted:

Hijiri, the Sealed Touhou.

A powerful mage whos magic can increase
her physical abilities. Gained eternal
youth thanks to youkai and cares for them.

An offensive variant on Hakurei, having a colossal physical attack stat and a Special Attack that is good enough, especially with her learning Psycho Boost. However, she doesn't learn it until Level 70, and she isn't fully evolved until level 55, so you'll be waiting for a while with her. Not awful; in fact, you could argue she's a pseudo-legend of sorts (even though she doesn't have 600 BST), but she's a lil' rough.
Something very important about Byakuren that bears mentioning:

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Byakuren is definitely a Touhou I really like, she's just not in my top six. Though you might call me filthy due to shipping her with Toyosatomimi no Miko. I think those two can make it work despite the religious differences. Plus they already have a kid.

For reference my six favorites are Yuyuko, Aya, Minamitsu, Patchouli, Alice, and Suika.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Another update that's gonna be light on progression, but hoo boy, this one's gonna be rough.

No major updates for the team this time.

This is actually breaking the order I recorded in, but I'm gonna cover Koga's gym first, for reasons you'll see in a bit.

Not like it's a problem.

Not sure why Chen is here. She's Poison in some hacks, but not here.

...And this is just sad.

...Sad for me.

Alright, Koga time. First up is the Water/Poison Eirin.

Ominas takes a Surf pretty well, but it took a critical to do that much... Confusion is hell.

Gah, so close. That's a heal from both of us.

Teehee.

Morning Sun isn't too effective, but it does land a Special Defense drop.

...Ack.

Recover at least lets Ominas switch in safely, but...double ack.

At least Confusion gets a Confusion proc, so I can safely take her down.

Yamame wastes her turn on Spider Web, so this matchup should be in the bag--

:argh:

:argh: :argh:

...Jesus!

Alright, I've been trying to take this seriously, but let's be real. Nothing Koga can do deals with GMystia.

Toxic is almost a problem for Pandemia, but a lucky Shed Skin proc gets it out of the way.

Yawn...

...Who?

She's... a Ghost/Dragon type...Hold on a sec.

Sasha Sashiromiya is a fan-made character, a hypothetical final boss for Hisoutensoku. She is a daidarabotchi, and she projects shadows onto fog and mist to make them seem bigger than they are. Mmhmm.

She's not really a problem either way.

Anyways, this. I actually need Surf to get every encounter in the Safari Zone, because that's where we're going, folks.

Alright, first area.

MIMA CONFIRMED GUYS

CMima, the EvilSpirit Touhou.

An evil spirit who's lived(?)
for an unusually long time.
Enjoys her time to the fullest.

Dark/Ghost, with Pressure for her ability.

Evolves into Mima at level 30, who evolves into EMima at level 48.

45/80/50/65/40/50 > 65/95/70/80/60/70 > 80/100/90/100/80/90

She's alright. Kinda wish she were faster or stronger, but I guess the bulk is nice, especially with her type. She kinda blends into the crowd considering Parsee exists, but I suppose she's fine.

Mima is probably the PC-98 character that people know the most. Serving as a recurring threat to Reimu, she was sealed in the Hakurei Shrine, but is strong enough to escape on her own multiple times. She later joins Reimu on her trip to Makai for the fifth game, Mystic Square, after which she disappeared like nearly every PC-98 character. The reason fans have an attachment to her is her connection to one of the characters who did carry over: Marisa. While the text doesn't have them interact much at all, there's some subtext that Mima is something of a mentor, possibly mother figure to Marisa. It is this relationship of seemingly great significance being basically dropped that gave Mima this allure, and a fanbase that swears she'll be back every game. Maybe she will, someday; it'd be super cool to see, but I don't care that much one way or another.

Also her theme. Reincarnation fucks hard. Here's a remix that blends it with Love-Colored Master Spark that fucks even harder.

Satsuki, the Kirin Touhou.

A Kirin Nurse who chose to help others
instead of investigate the scarlet mist
incident. Has an love for air and flowers.

Grass/Flying, with Immunity and Poison Body for abilities.

75/95/130/115/85/100

Satsuki's stats are interesting; she has a super high BST to work with, but what she does with it leaves something to be desired. Her offenses are solid; 95/115/100 is a decent spread, I've definitely praised similar Touhous before. Her bulk seems pretty good, but 75 HP is very underwhelming, and her type isn't the best for it. What really lets her down is her movepool; her best offensive options are Giga Drain and Razor Wind, which are 60 base power each. Defensively she fares a bit better; Heal Bell is very unique and Recover isn't super common either, but she still lacks Leech Seed for some incomprehensible reason, and rather than the 75 accuracy Sleep Powder, she has the 55 accuracy Sing. Ech.

Rin Satsuki is...not her! For a long time, this design, only seen in a series of advertisements for Touhou, this one being released at Comiket 62 was Rin, but it was recently revealed that this was more of a "poster girl" for Team Shanghai Alice. So, who exactly is Rin Satsuki? She's a name left over in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, reportedly cut due to time constraints, and that's...about it. All we know about her is her name, her two shot types (Wind Sign and Flower Sign), and that's seriously it, aside from some theorizing about her being a Nurse due to an offhand remark by Marisa.

Oh, that sprite is absolutely precious! :allears:

CRika, the Engineer Touhou.

A young girl who likes to tinker
with machines. Among machines,
tanks are her favourite.

Fire/Steel with Sturdy for her ability. Becomes Dark/Steel with Pressure when she evolves into ERika.

Evolves into Rika at level 25, who evolves into ERika with a Moon Stone.

60/30/60/40/30/30 > 80/40/100/70/40/30 > 80/80/110/110/80/80

Ehh...let's start with the positives. Decent bulk with an alright type, for one, but prior to becoming ERika, she has absolutely insane coverage.

FlowerCannon is a Normal-type Octazooka, which is entirely useless, but it shows what she's supposed to be; Octillery. However, the fact that you need to spend a Moon Stone, which is a highly valuable resource, to get her, and she's not that good, is a reason to think twice about her. Not the worst, but definitely rough.

PC-98 characters by and large have little to no personality due to the lack of supplemental material and largely whimsical and flippant tone, so I don't have much to say about most of them. Rika is notable because she was not only the first boss in a Touhou shooter (Highly Responsive to Prayers was a weird spin on Breakout of all things), but also the first Extra Stage boss, and one of only three characters to double dip in such a manner.

Kedama, the Kedama Touhou.

A white object which flies
through the air unsteadily.
Soft and feels good to touch.

Normal, with Limber and Levitate for abilities.

70/80/70/80/70/80

EVEN IN THE SAFARI ZONE! F! O! E! STUCK IN THE SEVII DAYCARE! F! O! E! FARMED OUT FOR ITS MUSHROOMS! F! O! E! PARTY FULL OF EGGS AND MAGMA ARMOR! F! O! E!

...Okay, putting an end to that bit. Kedama is Ditto, both in egg group and battle. The Egg Group is mostly pointless, since nearly everything in the game is Humanshape, but c'est la vie. It has slightly better stats than Ditto, and Levitate means it could potentially get a safe switch-in. However, its most attractive feature is Sketch. A Ditto that can Sketch means you can pass down a ton of interesting Egg Moves, and...wait, huh? Toyohime and Yorihime exist? And they have perfect TM/HM coverage? Ah.

Kedamas are regular enemies in Touhou, being fuzzballs with faces, but not that face. The face is a reference to IOSYS's F.O.E. flash, F.O.E.s being obstacles in hopeless boss fight form in Etrian Odyssey that take the form of orange fuzzballs with that face on the map.

CMeira, the Samurai Touhou.

An apprentice samurai girl.
Is surprisingly well-endowed,
but binds them to hide it.

Steel, with Inner Focus for her ability.

Evolves into Meira at level 24, who evolves into EMeira at level 38.

40/65/35/30/35/65 > 65/90/55/35/50/85 > 85/120/75/50/70/100

Honestly, if Meira's ability weren't a wash, she'd be bordering on broken. She's a very effective sweeper, especially with Steel getting more offensive SE damage. Her bulk is low, but sponged a bit by Steel's defense, as well. Throw on Minds Eye, Blade Flash or Extreme Speed, and even Braver, and she'll cut through teams like a tin can and still make julienne fries.

Meira tried to claim the Hakurei clan's power, but Reimu misinterpreted it as coming on to her romantically. It was Meira who called it weird because they're both girls, so Meira is a homophobe.

Super Rod in the first area.

CChiyuri, the Space-Time Touhou.

A girl who has an odd way
with words. Getting hit by her
Pipe Chair is painful.

Electric/Water, with Static for her ability.

Evolves into Chiyuri at level 24, who evolves into EChiyuri at level 38.

45/30/40/50/60/45 > 70/45/60/70/85/60 > 95/60/110/85/110/80

Lanturn, if it were designed today. No Water or Volt Absorb is unfortunate, but she's still super usable. She also learns Mirror Coat, so watch out.

Chiyuri Kitashirakawa is a girl from the outside world who came with Yumemi. She's only 15, which is the youngest known age of a Touhou character short of Akyuu. She lures everyone to a cave with the promise of a wish inside, but only the strongest can make it in. She then fucks up Yumemi's plan to study magic big time by threatening the winner with a gun. Also there's another Chiyuri who lives in Gensokyo and uses magic, and then returns to the outside world with Yumemi and her Chiyuri, despite all other routes having Yumemi stay in Gensokyo, and I think the Touhou fanbase just doesn't talk about it enough.

Also Super Rod, but way, way rarer. :argh:

Hoshizako, the Starshape Touhou.

A mysterious creature which takes
the shape of a star. Does not seem
related to starfish.

Normal, with Run Away for an ability.

Evolves into Mimi-Chan or Ruukoto at level 20 with the Tyrogue check.

45/60/60/35/45/65

This thing is irrelevant and only exists for its evolutions...is what I was going to say, and then I checked its hold item.

Oh, find me in the alps... A 5% chance to hold a Sun Stone on a 1% encounter rate. loving bite me, I'm not going over the missed Sun Stone evolutions now. You could grind it out and get a Last Word Form early, but you would honestly, unironically be better off just beating the rest of the loving game at that point.

Ruukoto, the Maid Touhou.

An all-purpose android maid.
Has a radioactivity sign on her back.

Steel, with Rock Head or Own Tempo for her abilities.

85/85/115/45/110/75

Eh, she's okay. Pretty good bulk, and her Attack is good enough. Rock Head Double Edge is a nice toy, and she learns Steel Fist at a shockingly low level 25. She cannot learn Bride Study, but otherwise has small but effective TM coverage. Probably not worth the grind, but decent. Her t̴̡̺͈͍͖̞̩͚̞͉͌̽̍̿͝ŗ̷̲̙̀̐̆̉͒̽ụ̸̻̳̯́̂̎͊̏̑͋̊̉͜e̵̢̛̦̲͔͚̗͈̲̫̬̳̽̇̀̎̔̉̉̇̄͘ ̵̨̡̱̜͓͇̝̜͉̏̇̊ ̶̨͍͙̘͕̻̰̞̂̀͆͒̈́̈́̈́̓̚͝p̶̛̲͓̓̇́̃̇̔̿̄͠ǒ̵̢̢̞̤̌͑͋̈́͑̋͌͠͝w̵̘̘̳̳̠͇̻̲̞̝͗͐̔͛̈̚̚ë̴̥̘͎̭͓̤͙̯́̔͊́̆̀̈͆̿̏̽r̶̢̖̙͚̙̪̝͇͈̂͋̈́̊͑͘ won't be unleashed until 1.8.

Ruukoto is a gift from Yumemi to Reimu in her ending, who requested that it become easier to clean the shrine. Turns out, she's not good at cleaning.

Mimi chan, the Weapon Touhou.

INTER CONTINENTAL
BALLISTIC MISSILE.

Fire/Flying, with Rock Head for its ability.

30/150/30/30/30/150

This thing explodes and does nothing else of substance. Is it funny? Oh, absolutely, it's hysterical. Is it usable? God no. Dead Touhous don't gain EXP and its only other offensive option is Take Down.

Mimi-Chan is Marisa's request from Yumemi.

Onto the second area.

CYuki, the Crimson Touhou.

A lively and cheerful girl.
Considers fire magic her forte.

Fire, with Blaze for her ability.

Evolves into Yuki at level 24, who evolves into EYuki at level 40.

45/50/10/75/55/55 > 65/70/20/95/75/75 > 80/90/30/120/100/100

Just kind of a worse Marisa. She's not bad on her own merits, but...Marisa exists.

She's a Duo Boss in Mystic Square. She likes her partner Mai more than Mai likes her back.

CSara, the Gatekeeper Touhou.

A clumsy and light-headed little
girl. She was, for some reason,
entrusted as a gatekeeper.

Fighting, with Gate Keeper for her ability.

Evolves into Sara at level 22, who evolves into ESara at level 38.

75/55/65/15/15/35 > 105/65/90/30/30/50 > 150/100/150/40/40/60

An astounding wall. Her low Special Defense is offset by her loving massive HP, and nothing physical can even touch her. Slap on a Bride Study TM, throw in decent physical coverage, and an unphazable Bulk Up, and you've got quite the nice bruiser on your hands. This one is very nice.

Kabutops is a threat in UU matches.

(either i missed the picture or irfanview ate it)

CYumeko, the Maid Touhou.

A maid from Makai dressed
in a striking red maid uniform.

Steel, with Concentrate for her ability.

Evolves into Yumeko at level 24, who evolves into EYumeko at level 42.

50/75/50/40/50/45 > 70/100/70/50/70/60 > 90/130/90/65/90/75

Yumeko isn't exactly bad, but her movepool is fairly incongruous with her stats. A 130 attack Sculpture is gonna hurt, but she gets almost nothing to make use of Concentrate, and she has no real buffing move either; you're stuck with either Sharpen or Psych Up. Her most notable feature is honestly Spikes more than anything else.

Yumeko is Shinki's maid, and the strongest of her creations. She uses swords in place of knives.

CShinki, the Makai Touhou.

A girl with a strong presence
and a distinctive side-ponytail.
The Goddess of Makai.

Dark/Psychic, with Synchronize as her ability.

Evolves into Shinki at level 40.

55/50/50/70/50/55 > 85/95/80/135/80/85

She's pretty good. Fairly comparable to FPatchouli, but doesn't eat a Moon Stone. No special coverage, but y'all should be used to that. Decent physical coverage, at least; Steel Wing, Brick Break, Rock Tomb, Poison Claw.

Shinki is the Goddess of Makai and creator of everything in it. She tried to open a Makai Tourism Agency for demons to go to Gensokyo, without permission from anyone who lives there. She's often assumed to have a motherly relationship with Alice, but this has never been confirmed. While she has disappeared much like the rest of the PC-98 cast, ZUN did create a second theme for her for use in a few fangames.

Surfing here gets her.

CLuize, the MakaiReside Touhou.

A young girl who enjoys sightseeing.
Attracts attention with her always-
closed eyes.

Normal, with Immunity for her ability.

Evolves into Luize at level 20, who evolves into ELuize at level 38.

55/40/40/40/55/30 > 70/60/60/70/60/50 > 90/100/80/100/90/80

100 Special Attack and not a single move to use it with. Pass.

Her Dex entry told you everything you need to know about her.

Fishing here gets this.

Mai, the Betrayal Touhou.

A magician normally wearing her
white outfit and sprouting white
wings. Always seen with Yuki.

Ice, with Water Veil for her ability. Becomes Ice/Dark when evolving into EMai.

Evolves from CMai at level 24, evolves into EMai at level 40.

50/40/40/60/60/40 > 70/60/60/75/75/60 > 95/70/70/100/100/85

Defensive Ice-type, though the changes to Ice mean she's not necessarily DOA. She's still not great; the Dark subtype is useless offensively and Water Veil is effectively dead, but she's not...awful.

She considers Yuki to be holding her back.

Okay, Area 3.

Yumemi, the Space-Time Touhou.

A top-class physics scholar
in the making. Very smart,
and loves strawberries.

Fire/Ice, with Limber as her ability. EYumemi has Pressure as a potential second ability.

Evolves into Yumemi at level 30, who evolves into EYumemi at level 48.

50/35/50/85/55/55 > 70/55/65/100/75/75 > 90/75/85/130/90/90

Fire/Ice is a rough type defensively, and she'll likely be outsped, but 130 Special Attack off of two great offensive types is the real deal. Backed up by her signature Strawberry C, a 100/100 Fire move that can freeze, she's exceptionally strong. She also learns Ice Beam and Flame Thrower at the same level; 25.

Yumemi Okazaki is a college professor from the outside world* who comes to Gensokyo to prove the existance of magic for her thesis. She gets kicked out of her university for talking about magic, and then returns to Gensokyo.

(same as above)

Kotohime, the Princess Touhou.

A princess who's a little offbeat.
Is actually Gensokyo's policewoman.

Normal, with Own Tempo for her ability.

Evolves from CKotohime at level 20, evolves into EKotohime at level 40.

55/50/30/50/35/40 > 65/65/60/65/65/50 > 90/85/85/85/90/70

ACAB: All Cops Are BGarbage. Skip.

Kotohime is just a weird woman who thinks she's whatever she wants.

CEllen, the Witch Touhou.

A young witch who dreams
about her love for work.

Psychic, with Own Tempo for her ability.

Evolves into Ellen at level 18, who evolves into EEllen at level 38.

40/30/50/60/30/40 > 80/45/70/70/35/60 > 140/50/90/95/50/75

Exceptionally okay. Lacks coverage. Has Skill Swap, which is funny.

Ellen isn't a Touhou character, she's a cameo in Touhou 3 from a manga ZUN liked. A lot of Touhou 3's designs are like this, but Ellen specifically shares the name, cat, and wanting to open "Fuwafuwa Ellen's Magic Shop," a reference to her original surname of Fuwafuwaatama.

CRikako, the Science Touhou.

A glasses-wearing girl with a sharp
eye for details. A scientist, but does
not know anything about science.

Psychic, with Insomnia for her ability.

Evolves into Rikako at level 22, who evolves into ERikako at level 40.

20/30/45/70/45/50 > 35/40/60/95/60/80 > 90/45/70/140/75/120

Oh, god, there we go. Exceptionally fast, nuclear power, and Marisa level of "frail but not even really THAT frail". She is unfortunately stuck with Confusion until getting Psychic at level 43/49/55, but you see the levels we're at now. She's more than manageable.

Rikako Asakura is a human woman who believes in science as an alternative to magic, which has Reimu brand her as a heretic. Oh, how the times change.

Surfing in Area 3.

Kana, the Poltergeist Touhou.

She was produced by a mentally
unstable girl called Kana, and
became her shade.

Ghost, with Poltergeist for her ability.

Evolves from Kana at level 20, evolves into EKana at level 40.

55/35/60/35/55/40 > 75/50/75/65/75/60 > 90/70/95/80/95/80

Her stats are quite mediocre, but Soundproof and Perish Song have an exceptionally funny interaction that honestly makes me recommend her. Unfortunately the AI will switch out in response to Perish Song, but forcing a switch is still valuable.

In addition to what's been mentioned, Kana plans on moving out of the mansion she currently inhabits, as its resident has gotten used to her.

So, this level 5 Rikako.

Doesn't know any moves. The Struggle Routine overrides the Safari Zone routine, and knocks out Ominas from full to 0 in one hit. I immediately hit my space-time rewind button, because I just know there's gonna be a doublemark sprite, and that rear end in a top hat gives me the jibblies.

Last area.

CKurumi, the Vampire Touhou.

A young vampire girl identified
by her distinctive white ribbon.
Has a very thin shadow.

Dark, with Synchronize or Trace for abilities.

Evolves into Kurumi at level 20, who evolves into EKurumi at level 38.

45/30/50/40/35/50 > 65/50/70/55/50/70 > 90/90/90/90/90/90

Yaaawn. So dreadfully dull. Not even bad, but just so BORING. We've seen this exact statline already! Oh, to hell with it.

Kurumi guards the LAKE OF BLOOD, which is not as metal as it sounds.

COrange, the Youkai Touhou.

She tries to get in the way of
things to be noticed, but is
considered harmless.

Normal, with Pure Power for her ability.

Evolves into Orange at level 18, who evolves into EOrange at level 36.

150/5/40/15/5/25 > 210/10/50/30/10/40 > 222/50/100/60/50/60

So Orange is kind of insane, actually. Imagine Blissey, but with the physical and special stats swapped. Then give her a double-digit Special Defense. Then give her Pure Power, Bulk Up, and Facade for functional status immunity. She's absolutely nuts and should be considered for any team.

By contrast, I have literally nothing to say about her as a character.

CYuka, the Flower Touhou.

Fights with the manipulation of
flowers. Entirely unpredictable.

Grass/Dark with Pressure or Overgrow for abilities.

Evolves into Yuka at level 22, who evolves into EYuuka with a Leaf Stone.

65/65/40/70/45/5 > 95/90/55/95/65/10 > 120/115/70/120/85/30

Being able to dump her Speed means she can have quite the scary-looking offenses, and great HP to sponge her bulk. Her typing is also rather nice, due to the scarcity of bugs. She doesn't have too much to use her attack on, but a nice surprise Steel Fist never hurt anyone.

FYuka, the Final Touhou.

Her umbrella is the only
flower in Gensokyo
that never withers.

Grass/Dark, with Insanity or Overgrow for abilities.

Evolves from Yuka with a Moon Stone.

150/90/90/100/100/20

She's okay. Definitely chunkier than base Yuka, which is...fine, but this hack adamantly refuses to give you Leech Seed. Synthesis is alright, I suppose. Though her offenses are lower, Insanity gives her an edge on her physical attacks, of which she gets some more of; Earthquake, Poison Bomb, and FlowerCannon to name a few. Not my favorite, but an interesting stat spread.

Yuuka Kazami is the fourth character to cross over from PC-98 to Windows. Starting as a Final Boss and Incident Instigator, she later becomes playable in Mystic Square, before disappearing for a bit and returning in Phantasmagoria of Flower View. She's a caretaker for flowers, as her power shows, and is told to be rather dangerous for humans. However, she's shown to be polite and cordial, so it may be an exagerration. She's something of a trickster, outright lying about her involvement with incidents and playing with her food. Also worth noting, she doesn't use her power to fight; she's just insanely strong on her own merits. She is rather slow, though; she has the lowest speed of any character on PoFV and is fairly slow in both Lotus Land Story and Mystic Square.

Elly, the Gatekeeper Touhou.

Uses a large scythe and
fights as the gatekeeper
of the dream world.

Fighting, with Gate Keeper for her ability.

Evolves from CElly at level 22, evolves into EElly at level 38.

70/80/35/15/35/45 > 80/110/55/30/55/60 > 100/140/65/50/75/110

Wait, what the gently caress? Elly loving owns here. Where did that nearly doubling speed stat come from? She'd put Yuuka into the loving dirt, holy poo poo. Sadly not a Steel-type, but still gets it as coverage for her Flying weakness. Elly shreds, my god.

Elly...doesn't have much character. But I actually have a good bit to say here. See, Elly is notable not for her theme, but for her stage theme, "Bad Apple!!", which got remixed, borderline overhauled into the most recognizable bit of Touhou fandom. I'm gonna sound like a loving normie here, but Bad Apple absolutely slams, and deserves the reputation it has. It's honestly probably bigger than Touhou at this point; it made it into Bandori, and probably the biggest english cover of the song was sung by Cristina Valenzuela...y'know, Mio from K-On, Homura from Madoka, Marinette from Miraculous Ladybug, Shantae, Kotori in Love Live, she's loving everywhere.

Surfing here...

CMugetu, the Demon Touhou.

A demon who wears maid clothes
and acts like one for fun.

Normal, with Limber for her ability.

Evolves into Mugetu at level 24, who evolves into EMugetu at level 38.

60/35/35/35/70/45 > 80/50/50/50/100/60 > 100/75/90/75/120/80

She's okay. Normal-type defenses are kind of boned by not resisting anything, but she's...functional, I guess. Heal Bell, Baton Pass, Encore, Sweet Kiss, she's got some decent tools.

And Fishing...

Gengetu, the Demon Touhou.

Mugetu's elder twin who has reached
full adulthood. Possesses angel-like
white wings.

Dark/Flying, with Immunity for her ability. Has Pressure as one of her two abilities as EGengetu.

Evolves from CGengetu at level 30, evolves into EGengetu at level 48.

50/50/50/50/50/80 > 60/70/70/70/70/100 > 80/90/90/90/90/120

Kurumi, but blisteringly fast. Basically a straight upgrade to her, honestly, abilities aside. It's honestly rather pathetic. She's pretty good on her own terms, being a normalized Remilia, but her abilities are both kinda duds.

Gengetsu and Mugetsu are the extra stage bosses of Lotus Land Story. They don't have much character, aside from Gengetsu going absolutely ballistic (from a gameplay perspective) when Mugetsu goes down.

And that's all, folks. My god, talk about a doorstopper...

This pond back here has Komachis up to level 40, thus proving more that my efforts in Rock Tunnel were wasted.

And then I stand there like a jackass for fifteen minutes, checking if I missed anything on previous routes.

Route 12 has a few things; this most notable.

It is very funny just how many things this is compatible with. I throw it on Ominas.

Also.

CKogasa, the Umbrella Touhou.

A karakasa whos greatest passion is to
surprise people. However, her methods
are unorthodox and don't work.

Ghost, with Intimidate and Immunity for abilities. Becomes Ghost/Flying upon evolving into Kogasa.

Evolves into Kogasa at level 33, who evolves into EKogasa at level 45.

65/20/90/30/60/50 > 85/40/110/50/90/60 > 110/60/130/70/120/70

She's so loving chunky! Intimidate is clearly the better ability here, because good lord, why is she so bulky?! Unfortunately her movepool isn't the best, getting no Flying STAB by level and only learning Shadow Ball as a chibi. I think she wanted to be a Water-type, considering she learns Surf, Muddy Water, Rain Dance, Weather Ball, and Miracle Wind. Still, that amount of bulk is funny.

Kogasa Tatara is a tsukumogami, a youkai that comes into existance when an object exists for 100 years (hence, Tsukumo.) She, specifically, is an abandoned umbrella. She spends her time trying to scare people, with her power being to scare humans specifically. Due to the concentration of youkai, she's generally not successful...until you remember that you, the player, are a human. Bam! Extra stage midboss. Bam! Reappearance in Ten Desires, dropping a 1up on death. Bam! She's also a blacksmith. Bam! The Steam page for Undefined Fantastic Object has her saying "Surprise!" Kogasa is exceedingly funny.

Fishing on the same route gets us this.

Murasa, the Sailor Touhou.

Captain of the Ghost Ship Palaquin. On a
quest with her crew and won't hesitate to
sink any opposition.

Water/Ghost, with Torrent or Water Absorb for abilities.

Evolves from CKogasa at level 20, evolves into EKogasa at level 40.

60/40/40/60/50/40 > 85/70/60/100/60/90 > 105/85/75/115/80/100

You'd expect, with such a big anchor, she'd be a physical bruiser, but I guess she didn't want to step on Komachi's toes. That's fine, as Murasa is still quite good. Decent coverage in the form of Flash, Steel Fist, Poison Bomb, and Ice Beam, a decent Physical attack for her Ghost STAB, and most importantly, a good offensive combination of 115 Special Attack and 100 Speed. Certainly worth attention.

Captain Minamitsu MOTHERFUCKING Murasa is awesome. She's a phantom, born when she drowned at sea. She couldn't cross the Sanzu River, so she instead terrorized ships that passed her by, asking for but a ladle. She would then use the ladle to flood the ship, though nowadays she carries her own, bottomless ladle. When Byakuren was rising in power, she was told to deal with Minamitsu, leading her to travel out on an easy-to-capsize ship. Byakuren then walked on the surface of the water and summoned a ship, whose appearance was directly lifted from the ship Murasa died on. She then swore fealty to Byakuren, piloting the Palanquin Ship. She throws GIANT ANCHOR DANMAKU in battle.

Anyways, to pad out this update a bit, I go run to Erika's gym.

It goes about as well as you expect.

Erika's team, in order. First, burnt to a crisp.

Ominas eats a Bug STAB and fires back, burning her up as well.

I'll pass, but not bad.

Nonthreat. Slow, as well, so I don't even need to switch Ominas out.

EDaiyousei lightly taps her, though.

You fool, I have SEVENTY ALTERNATIVE ACCOUNTS!

Shredded.

Anyways, I'm going to be shaking up my team before the next update. Let me know what to use.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Not gonna lie, I unironically like PrincessCop. She's hilarious. Also Use Minamitsu.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Seconding the vote for Captain Minamitsu Motherfucking Murasa™, because she's great

Also Mimi-chan, at least once

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I would be remiss if I didn't suggest using Suika on your team. The powerful drunkard oni is a good pal.

I am reminded of the sheer amount of Touhou characters while you play this game, and it is quite a bit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Safari Zone here looked very useful, so many mons to catch. Also I learned something new that I had never even thought about with that Struggle/Safari Zone mechanic clash.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Use Shou, because I like Shou.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
In every touhou lp, there must be votes for Kogasa

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Not even mentioning Mima's other theme, Complete Darkness? For shame.

And use Yumemi simply because Strawberry Crisis is awesome, and PoDD is awesome.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Use Murasa and name her May.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, it's clearly been a long time since I played 1.5 (and I was way younger too) cause I never realized how bonkers some of the builds are in terms of stats. 140/110 Attack/Speed is competitive even in modern Pokémon wtf.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

The recording for this one got a little bit out of hand, but admittedly we're at a point where things majorly slow down.

Suggested by Cyflan.

Yumemi's type has bit me in the rear end on multiple occasions while grinding, but I can for sure see the potential.

The name: Did you know Bulma's original wish on the Dragon Balls was going to be a lifetime supply of Strawberries? Go read the original Dragon Ball manga, not only is it better than Z but it makes Z better.

Suggested by Leraika.

It felt easier to grind up Shou earlier on than it did as she leveled up, for some reason. Not sure what the deal was there.

The name: "Hold on, we don't know if we can trust this guy-"

"I also have snacks!"

"But, the bible does say love thy neighbor..."

"Aren't you a buddhist?"

"A hungry buddhist!"

I don't know why Rock Slide got buffed by such a minor amount. At least it's not Dark Rising's 90/90 Rock Slide, 120/100 Hurricane, but 60 power 5 PP Giga Drain...

First suggested by ChaosStar0.

:black101:

The name: Suggested by Ratoslov. I don't get the reference, though.

(irfanview :argh:)

Flamethrower here is more effective than you'd think. I have more than enough money to buy them from the Game Corner.

The name: "He was drunk!" "He's always drunk."

I actually don't have a problem getting rid of my starter, but I feel like I haven't shown the true power of EMarisa yet.

And this was primarily a request from a non-SA friend. Same with the name.

Alright, let's get this out of the way.

The music here is a remix of Greenwich In The Sky, a song you've likely never heard of. It's exclusive to one of the albums. This remix sucks all the charm out of it, so...bleh.

Most of the trainers here are nonthreats and also have absolutely nothing new, so I'll be cutting to the good stuff.

Dark Rumias are scary now, having wide coverage and still having Shadow Tag to keep you from switching out bad matchups.

This one DChen slaughters three of my teammates because it has Hypnosis for some fuckin' reason.

A Sonicboom TM is found, and it's pretty wacky how many things get it. Might be worthwhile considering just how few Bug-types there are, but none of these will make the best use of it.

I hit up the Move Deleter to remove Surf from Blueberry for Fly, but turns out no Kogasa form can fly. :argh: So she has this instead.

Not even this one. Also :toot:

Gap (Assist, remember) would be hysterical if she had any offensive stats to speak of.

:toot: :toot:

Wawa weewa, vury nais.

Anyways, I feel like embarassing this team. You get one shot. If you waste it...

...You're gonna regret it.

Oh, disgusting.

Ohohoh, another lamb to the slaughter?

Oh, that's just precious. Someone doesn't know what physical and special moves are.

Enoki is crazy overleveled, but I drop her off soon, don't worry.

Your rival is supposed to take the starter that beats yours, but uh.

Teehee.

Bam.

Even two Blade Flashes don't stop me.

Mai Waif.

Y'know, given that Lapras is known for Sing and recently got Sparkling Aria by breeding, this makes sense.

Layla, the Mystery Touhou.

Creator of the 3 Prismrivers, long since
has she died however, she knows and
holds the true power of music.

Psychic/Ghost, with Pressure for her ability.

50/150/50/150/50/150

Yes, that is Deoxys-RS's stat spread verbatim. She can only get Shadow Ball through TMs, but otherwise is obscenely fast and strong. Go ham, folks, she's literally free.

I already touched on Layla with the sisters, but Touhoumon is probably the most exposure non-characters like her, Youmu's father Youki, and Tenma, lord of the Tengus, have ever gotten.

Anyways, I have a Marisa for you too.

Oops.

Okay, oooooooone more.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. This might be a problem.

Was still able to stall her out with a Flinch from DragonMeteo making Light Screen wear off, but that took longer than I'd hoped.

Teehee.

Oh, that's just precious.

Alright, this should be in the-

... Fair enough!

A Dig and a Flamethrower dealt with her, especially since Sabrina wasted any possible counterattack turns healing.

A cute idea, but I'd rather have Flamethrower.

Could be dangerous, but I outspeed you.

A Mana Charge TM.

That we could give to Marisa.

If I wanted to, that could be the end of the game right there. Game set and match.

I'm gonna put her in the box, though, she's stolen more than enough thunder for one day.

There is nothing new here.

Ballin', we made it.

No.

That one I could do. I won't, but I could.

Haha, hahah...ha...

No.

I realized I forgot to grab this, so I go do it.

It becomes Dolls!

Dolls, the Doll Touhou.

A pair of dolls that move of
their own will. They fight to
protect their master.

Normal, with Doll (Minus) for its ability.

Evolves into Shanghai or Hourai at level 30 with the Tyrogue check.

60/50/50/50/50/80

While mostly irrelevant and just present to get to its evolutions, Dolls has a surprisingly diverse movepool, enabling several options if you delay its evolution, including Spikes, Thunder Wave, Calm Mind, Agility, Baton Pass, and even Explosion.

Shanghai, the CLAY DOLL Touhou.

A primary doll of Alice. Attacks with
spears and isn't afraid to self-destruct
when instructed by her creator.

Normal/Fire, with Levitate as her ability.

65/120/70/100/70/110

Shanghai kinda owns honestly. Great mixed stats, a surprisingly wide movepool including options like Leaf Blade and Braver, Tailwind to buff, can still explode, Levitate to cancel one of her weaknesses, she's got a lot to her. I wish her base Special Attack were better since Normal STAB isn't as helpful as any other type, but it's fine. An easy recommendation.

Only tangentially related, but go check out Blaziken386's Shanghai.EXE: Genso Network LP. That is a great video game.

Hourai, the CLAY DOLL Touhou.

A primary doll of Alice. Powerful but
unruly. Can take on more dangerous tasks
and delivers destructive power and curses.

Normal/Psychic, with Levitate for her ability.

75/55/110/90/110/95

Hourai isn't as good, but there's still a lot to like here. The normal subtype helps defensively, eating the Ghost weakness, she's very fast for a defensive 'mon, and 90 Special Attack is still solid enough. Still, though, her bulk is undercut by her HP, and the Normal type is offensively dead considering the base 55 attack. While Memento (now a 220 BP Dark Explosion) is clearly meant to replicate going boom with Shanghai, it's significantly less useful due to not halving Special Defense, not being STAB, and being weaker baseline. Still some decent things here like Recover and Heal Bell, but not my preferred option.

Shanghai and Hourai are two classes of dolls Alice uses in her Perfect Cherry Blossom Spell Cards, alongside France, Holland, Tibet, Kyoto, London, Russia, and Orleans, but they've sort of taken on a life of their own. Generally they're considered Alice's "primary" dolls, with the only main difference between them being Hourai...well, hanging herself, due to the name "Hanging Hourai Dolls."

Pokemon Mansion has been renamed and re-themed to the Scarlet Devil Mansion, but this has the side-effect of giving us yet another route with nothing new in it.

The music here is a remix of Satori Maiden ~ Third Eye for some reason.

The wilds here are getting very scary, though.

Sick lore. Sariel isn't a name we've heard before, but I'm sure we will.

Also, when I said "the wilds were getting scary", I meant it. Shoutout to the Touhoumon Nuzlocke Challenge, where Lina loses one of her longest-lasting Touhous to the wilds.

...Man, this takes me back. I definitely didn't get distracted reminiscing about the past ten or so years of Lina's content, not at all.

I catch one for the novelty.

Anyways, right, uh.

This Gym goes about as well as you'd expect.

...Oh, oh! Aqua changed the questions! That's actually pretty uncommon for these hacks...

Yeah, Reimu is memetically poor due to a lack of donations. Nobody donates because she's not exactly good at her job. As a youkai-buster, at least; she's the number one incident resolver.

No! :eng101: A pattern suspiciously similar to the Master Spark first appeared as one of Yuuka's patterns in Lotus Land Story, and given Marisa's later pattern of stealing moves from her opponents, it's a reasonable assumption that she stole the Master Spark as well!

...Man...

Come on, you just used that theme earlier.

Yep!

I mean, I could. I don't, but I could.

You can probably see where this is going.

Drown, already.

Oh, that's actually pretty dangerous.

Alright, Electric-type, I guess--

Whups.

Thankfully she is a big stupid and charged a Solar Beam rather than kill me now.

Un-Thankfully the 50% burn proc on Hell's Tokamak comes back to bite me. Still an OHKO because 4x weakness too strong, but that could have gone worse.

Not even a speedbump.

Well, might as well do this.

Nothing new down here, just wanted to pre-empt any comments.

The trainers are quickly getting scary, though.

...Huh?

...Okay, I guess this is the CHakurei, but I can't exactly make space during the Sevii Islands questline.

Mushrooms are on Kedama.

OH, DISGUSTING.

Aw, man! Ultima is gone. Was really hoping I could give Sakuya Hydro Cannon to gently caress with any Marisas that came her way.

Nothing new on the cape either.

We have the NatDex already so this place is open.

There's nothing new over here, though, just some PC-98s.

Bond Bridge doesn't have anything new, but these wilds are getting kinda nuts.

...It's like I forgot to restrict a double battle to requiring two Pokemon, but I'm on the opposite end...

What the gently caress is up with these trainers? I'm starting to think Aqua wanted the player to do this postgame.

Oh, hey, a trainer with EACirno. Not sure where I can find her, though.

She also learns Earthquake :sickos:

Alright, Berry Forest, you've gotta have something new. Maybe Eirin or Mokou or--

...Sigh...

Tori, the Bird Touhou.

Despite looking and seeming
otherwise, it is just a normal bird
hatched from a normal egg.

Normal/Flying, with Run Away for its ability.

65/65/60/30/30/90

It's in the Ditto egg group but as I've mentioned that's almost entirely useless. The stats are garbage but it has Aeroblast.

It's loosely based on Mystia.

And the Hypno...is unedited. Ugh.

Two Island's shop updates to, uh-

...Yeah, that's normal. Okay, Aqua.

I grab the Hakurei while also running back for everything that was locked behind Cut. Not much of note.

Well, I wasn't planning on doing this until next update, but let's go legend hunting.

There is nothing new on this route either. Come on, game, give me something to work with...

I hesitate on giving Yumemi Strawberry Crisis due to its 5 PP, but gently caress it, I can TM her Flamethrower back if it becomes a problem.

Now would you look at that? Waterfall, huh? I get rid of Hydro Pump for the sheer novelty, though aside from Cape Brink there's actually no Waterfalls prior to postgame.

Rock Smash is... I mean, it's still weaker than I'd like, but it's better.

And here, there's...nothing new either. Are you loving kidding? Where's Mokou?! Where's the rest of the PC-98s?! More distribution of 1% encounters! Come on!

Good thing I caught that EFlandre, she's putting in work.

Alright, legendary time.

Apologies for this looking kinda fuzzy. VLC doesn't let me capture images from footage taken from when VBA wasn't in focus, so I miss a few shots. I went back, retook this, and resized it in Paint rather than reopening Irfanview, because PDN crashed when I tried to do it there.

BGM: The Grimoire of Alice.

Yuugenma, the EvilEye Touhou.

A catastrophic set of eyes.
Able to manipulate each of
its 5 floating eyes.

Dark, with Pressure for its ability.

85/100/105/140/100/70

Yuugenma is offensively linear. Its ability to take a beating is decent but undercut by its HP, but 140 Special Attack is 140 Special Attack...y'know, ignoring its general lack of coverage. It has STAB, Psychic, Fire Blast (but no Flamethrower), and that's it. 100 Physical Attack isn't bad, but not exactly the strongest impression of a legendary. Certainly usable but probably not worth the effort.

YuugenMagan is a boss in Highly Responsive to Prayers.

Why yes, I did SR for a Paralysis proc on Shou, why do you ask?

The Power Plant...also has nothing new in it. loving really?

At least one of the Electrodes is a Kogasa. That's cute.

Alright, here we go again.

Kikuri, the MagicScript Touhou.

The moon of hell.
An upper-half figure of a woman
blends into the moon-like orb.

Psychic, with Pressure for her ability.

90/85/140/100/120/65

Kikuri is...a different take on Yukari. Probably better, overall, but not by much; Pressure is actually worthwhile on a tank, but Battle Armor is also really nice. If you didn't bother catching a Yukari, I'd say go for it, but she's not worth dropping an established Yukari for.

Kikuri is a boss in Highly Responsive to Prayers.

Wild AI is rather stupid, so I can sneak in a Sing here.

Remind me to make everything in my hack 255 catch rate, by the way.

Seafoam Islands...has new stuff! My GOD, finally.

CLetty, the werentyouonbrocksteamatthebeginningofthegamesixtyhoursago Touhou.

A girl who only appears and lives
during the winter. Weak to heat,
to the point of melting.

Ice/Rock, with Cold Wave (Thick Fat) for her ability.

Evolves into Letty into level 24, who evolves into ELetty at level 38.

60/35/60/35/60/20 > 70/55/80/55/80/40 > 80/90/110/90/110/70

Ice is still a bad defensive type, but Thick Fat is nice to have. She's serviceable; fast enough to outspeed hard walls, decent offenses for her two STABs, but the type is gonna hurt her primary function. Still, you are somewhat starved for choice for Ice-types, so...go nuts, I guess.

ALetty, the Advent Touhou.

Uses the strongest halberd to knock
enemies down. Being the strongest,
she is an ally of justice.

Ice/Steel, with Advent for her ability.

Evolves from Letty with a Water Stone.

130/90/100/70/85/85

She's not bad, but I find myself somewhat nonplussed. Still, Minds Eye and Braver are a hell of a combo that even Sakuya doesn't get, she's got Blade Flash, and Sheer Cold is funny.

Letty is based on Zack Fair, meaning she's likely dead.

...Oh, no...

FLetty, the Final Touhou.

There is much debate as to
whether Letty is a snow spirit
or the Spirit of Winter.

Ice/Steel, with Cold Wave or Pressure for abilities.

Evolves from Letty with a Moon Stone.

110/65/120/80/115/60

Zzz...zzz...huh? Wha? Oh, FLetty. She's fine, what with Cold Wave insulating her Fire allergy, but's she's so dreadfully dull. She's Sakuya, without any of the cool moves that let her be unique.

Letty Whiterock is a Yuki-onna with the power to manipulate chill. She has a superiorty complex to Cirno. Her true power is said to be able to cause an incident, but she's also described as mostly powerless outside of winter. She's so often made chunky because she had an enlarged hitbox in Perfect Cherry Blossom, thus leading people to call her fat.

CMitori, the Barrier Touhou.

A young half-kappa who has
yet to grow into her true power.

Water/Steel, with Swift Swim or Rain Dish for abilities.

Evolves into Mitori at level 30, who evolves into EMitori at level 45.

100/30/80/40/80/20 > 120/35/100/55/100/30 > 150/60/115/60/115/50

Jesus Christ, talk about a wall! Water/Steel is a phenomenal type, and Rain Dish basically doubles her leftovers. Hell, she could probably make decent use of Oni Binding (which she learns for some reason), she gets Taunt to deter setup, the global Toxic and Bride Study, she's just loving everything you need for a tank! Probably a bit hard to use for singleplayer, but if you can handle the grind of her low offensive stats, go for it.

Mitori Kawashiro is a fan character created for a hypothetical Phantasm stage for Subterranean Animism. She's a half-human Kappa, Nitori's sister, and has the power to deny everything; new thoughts to her mind included. She's nursing a serious grudge against both humans and kappa for both treating her like dirt, and she's secluded herself to the underground.

...And that's it. Jeez, not even CACirno? Ugh.

Alright, one more.

Kongala, the Swordswoman Touhou.

An astral knight. A single horn
extends from her forehead, and
trembles with her sword.

Fighting/Ghost, with Pressure for her ability.

95/140/100/70/100/95

Kongala is who I'd consider the best of the bird replacements, offering a meaty 140 attack with two excellent offensive types. Her bulk is pretty solid, and her speed...could be worse. She really cries out for Tailwind; in a lot of ways she reminds me of Pre-SwSh Kyurem-B, though without the huge mixed attacking potential. I'd recommend her, though I'd hesitate if you already invested into something like Meiling or Elly.

Konngara is a boss in Highly Responsive to Prayers.

This one took a bit of effort considering she has Recover, but at least Blueberry learned Yawn on the way, so I didn't have to risk sending Tori out.

Anyways, next time is the Viridian Gym, which I'm carrying the current team ahead for, and then the Elite Four. Suggest who I bring along for that, out of anyone we've seen, used, or covered. There are no incorrect suggestions.

Faillen Angel fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 16, 2021

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Bring the Scarlet Mansion team.

Remillia
Flandre
Sakuya
Meiling
Patchouli
(your choice)

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

SniHjen posted:

Remillia
Flandre
Sakuya
Meiling
Patchouli

+ Koakuma, she's SDM as well.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

'May' is a reference to the character of the same name from Guilty Gear, who is a teenaged airship pirate captain who fights with a ship's anchor bigger than she is.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SniHjen posted:

Remillia
Flandre
Sakuya
Meiling
Patchouli
(your choice) Koakuma

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Faillen Angel posted:

The name: Did you know Bulma's original wish on the Dragon Balls was going to be a lifetime supply of Strawberries? Go read the original Dragon Ball manga, not only is it better than Z but it makes Z better.

Didn't Bulma's wish on the dragon balls kinda keep switching between strawberries, or "The Perfect Boyfriend"?
Been some time since I read the manga, but I seem to remember that.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands
If your gonna be challenging the Elite Four next post, then I say bring back Cirnobyl. I know we just got finished using her, but Utsuho is loving awesome, and deserves to end up in the Hall of Fame at some point in this Retrospective, and I feel Cirnobyl more than earned that spot this playthrough.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Winterdragon2004 posted:

If your gonna be challenging the Elite Four next post, then I say bring back Cirnobyl. I know we just got finished using her, but Utsuho is loving awesome, and deserves to end up in the Hall of Fame at some point in this Retrospective, and I feel Cirnobyl more than earned that spot this playthrough.

Yeah, Cirnobyl is a beast and deserves that hall of fame portrait.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

SniHjen posted:

Remillia
Flandre
Sakuya
Meiling
Patchouli
Cirnobyl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I don't know why exactly, but I'm real fond of these original Touhou remixes for the soundtrack. Like, Touhou Music is good, but they have a touch that makes them still feel Pokemonish for me (it's porbably just the sounfount). Still better than trying to insert a already existing remix. Or a vocal song on the GBA soundfount. Brrr.

Also Sevii probably was added in a later patch in JP which is why the levels are so schizofrenic. That's the thing with making a romhack in multiple modular patches, sometimes things don't fit.