Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

banned from Starbucks posted:

he just wanted to play with his toys op and possibly touch a replicant boob

I guess they made Roy kill a goon to be more sympathetic to the average audience member then.

The main thing that irritates me about all the extended/director/etc. versions of Blade Runner is how they add scenes that push Deckard must be a replicant. I don't mind the idea per se, but I think it works much better as a mystery unsolved (or more accurately solved how the viewer prefers) rather than straight up making it obvious he's a replicant. Helps with thinning the line between humans and replicants that way; I was pleased 2049's only answer when they touched on it was "Deckard's a person, the rest is irrelevant" which really is the important take home message to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

David D. Davidson posted:

Looking at the film from the replicants you can the film as a fairy tale masquerading as a noir tale. Four friends travel a long distance to meet with a powerful wizard to undo a curse.

The behavior of Roy and the other Replicants is not unlike that children. There's a odd kind of innocence in their action as if they are children.

Oddly enough even their violence kind of fits that; they tend to be overdramatic when they do it - Leon probably would have killed Deckard if he hadn't toyed with him so long, there's also the way he casually drops the eyeballs on Chew when Roy's threatening him. Pris also pretty much got killed because she was flipping around and such instead of just killing Deckard straight up; her death scene even has (rather messed up) "tantrum" overtones to it. And of course Roy does his whole dramatic chase of Deckard at the end. Even with memories they're still not very emotionally mature.