Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

this happened in 2018 an i never thought to inform yospos. i went to an rms talk in london and went along with the group of sycophants that gathered around him at the end. he took us to Foyles (book store) and then to a chinese restaurant in chinatown that i forget the name of. i then helped him get back to where he was staying because he's pretty unfit to say the least and carries a LOT of heavy poo poo with him (read: i carried his things). caught the last train back home after spending pretty much the entire day with him.

he is a nice guy to hang around with and you quickly figure out how to stop him from going on controversial tangents.

as problematic as this guy is i think it was pretty cool to get to spend so much time with him.

if you are going to eat dinner with rms make sure you go to a buffet style place because he will do the ordering (while making dietary considerations - i cannot eat nuts so he ordered no nut-containing things) without consulting you so you'll need the options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

did you carry his printer

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

thankfully he did not have one with him BUT I WOULD HAVE

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cool op. you should write a book about it

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

i will call it "the time i ate chinese with richard stallman"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nobody Interesting posted:

this happened in 2018 an i never thought to inform yospos. i went to an rms talk in london and went along with the group of sycophants that gathered around him at the end. he took us to Foyles (book store) and then to a chinese restaurant in chinatown that i forget the name of. i then helped him get back to where he was staying because he's pretty unfit to say the least and carries a LOT of heavy poo poo with him (read: i carried his things). caught the last train back home after spending pretty much the entire day with him.

he is a nice guy to hang around with and you quickly figure out how to stop him from going on controversial tangents.

as problematic as this guy is i think it was pretty cool to get to spend so much time with him.

if you are going to eat dinner with rms make sure you go to a buffet style place because he will do the ordering (while making dietary considerations - i cannot eat nuts so he ordered no nut-containing things) without consulting you so you'll need the options

how bad did he smell

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
how tall is he?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

pram posted:

how bad did he smell

surprisingly, not that bad. he did get very sweaty though.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

After receiving 15 doctorates honoris causa — doctorates "for honor", though typically people use the misleading translation "honorary" — I thought I had a clear idea of how they are given. The ceremonies were serious, even solemn, and if others were receiving doctorates honoris causa in the same ceremony, they were people whose achievements impressed me.

So I was shocked to read an article which describes this as a sleazy marketing scheme, and claims that recipients of these degrees are not supposed to call themselves "Doctor."

The article says that universities hand out "honorary doctorates" readily to donors who have essentially bought them, and to performing artists so that they will entertain the students at graduation.

The article is not error-free. For instance, it calls me an "open-source software pioneer," which misrepresents my views and my work. However, what it reports about universities seems to be correct, in the US; a friend told me he had seen that pattern himself.

But my experience is totally different. I am not an entertainer, except for a few minutes when I don the robe and halo of Saint iGNUcius, and that is comic relief for a long, serious talk. I never donated money to the universities that gave me doctorates, nor could they expect me to. What's more, I never saw such people receive degrees along with me. The other recipients, when there were others, were likewise being honored for their work, not as a quid-pro-quo.

Why this difference? My doctorates come from universities in other countries, not in the US. I conjecture that buy-a-doctorate and sing-for-your-doctorate are found in the US only. (How sad for the US!)

On all the occasions when I received a doctorate, nobody said to me that I should not use the title of Doctor. Indeed, an academic told me that universities would extend to me certain minor privileges, treating that doctorate like any other. So I began identifying myself as Dr. Stallman.

Of course, I do that in formal situations, in connection with talks, interviews and publications, not in ordinary conversation. Though I do occasionally tell people that they don't need to call me Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr. Stallman.

Nonetheless, on reading that Florida Atlantic University explicitly says that recipients of doctorates honoris causa are not permitted the title of Doctor, I began to wonder about the policies of the universities which had given me degrees, so I asked people at some of those universities about their policies.

The replies were quite disparate. One said, like Florida Atlantic, that it was not permitted. Another said I should write "Dr.(h.c.)." Another said it had no objection. So it seems that I am entitled to call myself Dr. Stallman.

Why do I do that? The personal reason is that these doctorates recognize decades of work for an important cause, and I am proud of them.

The reason that is beyond personal is so that people who know little or nothing of my career may decide, based on the title of "Doctor", to pay a little attention to that work and that cause, which is the free software movement. That may help us defeat the totalitarian control that today's digital technology is designed to impose.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

He seems like a nice old guy

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

what's great is between doing this annoying thing with his teeth ("i have a fascination with making sounds with my body") he'll tell you sad stories about past loves and also how much he loves birds.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i saw him speak in the IEEE building in London too and he was revolting in all aspects. i can’t believe you willingly ate with/hung out with him, well done goon

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
a succulent chinese meal with rms

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Buck Turgidson posted:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
a chinese meal with succulent rms

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Toe-fu

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

i saw him speak in the IEEE building in London too and he was revolting in all aspects. i can’t believe you willingly ate with/hung out with him, well done goon

was a scout leader before i moved out of the UK, seen grosser

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
did u guys gently caress?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

he wishes :smuggo:

did hug him

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

a chinese meal with succulent rms

:stonk:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

was a scout leader before i moved out of the UK, seen grosser

they have mirrors in british scouts?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

dude i gotta work i don't have time to go to the burns ward!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What would happen if, when he started ordering for you, you cut him off and told the waiter what you actually wanted?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

He seems like a nice old guy

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

nobody who eats chinese food could be a bigot

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Truman Peyote posted:

nobody who eats chinese food could be a bigot

on the contrary; if your white and you eat chinese food that’s cultural appropriation

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

What would happen if, when he started ordering for you, you cut him off and told the waiter what you actually wanted?

i'd be boring and ask for a chicken chow mein, why not use the opportunity to have a well traveled guy suggest new things for you? somehow had never eaten crab before that day. it was pretty good.

but also to be real he'd probably assert that his choices were the good ones

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op you should have had him sign

"long live linux and the open source software community"

on your breast (gender irrelevant) and favorite ubuntu install cd

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i have also been to a restaurant with rms, back in the 90s

first of all I was shocked that he actually brushes his teeth. my cohort informed me this would be the only hygiene he would perform, but then he started to rub antibacterial cream on his hands after we sat down at the restaurant (i remember telling this story before and saying he also rubbed it on his feet, but while that feels true I can’t conjure the image for probably health reasons)

he ordered a mug of hot water, some ice, and a spoon so he could get it to the temp he wanted

when he rolled into town everyone got The Call and had to find excuses for why he couldn’t crash on their sofa

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

George posted:

when he rolled into town everyone got The Call and had to find excuses for why he couldn’t crash on their sofa

i'm still shocked that someone actually offered him lodging when they finally kicked him out of his office crashpad. i wonder how long it took before they regretted that decision?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

i'm still shocked that someone actually offered him lodging when they finally kicked him out of his office crashpad.

https://plausiblydeniable.com/five-geek-social-fallacies/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

what's great is between doing this annoying thing with his teeth ("i have a fascination with making sounds with my body") he'll tell you sad stories about past loves and also how much he loves birds.

i can't believe rms is just pining away, wistfully dreaming of the day a parrot will dry hump him again

George
Nov 27, 2004

one story I heard is that back in the day he would gently caress groupies on your couch and just like leave the condom under the couch after

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
putting the d in bsd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm morbidly curious what a gnu plus linux groupie looks like.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I think they haven’t existed since like well before linux

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

George posted:

one story I heard is that back in the day he would gently caress groupies on your couch and just like leave the condom under the couch after

i think the actual story is that he would just gently caress your couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

rotor posted:

i think the actual story is that he would just gently caress your couch

it was brightly colored and giving him bedroom eyes