Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

idk if there's really anything to learn. desktop linux in 2021 is just as easy to install and use as osx or win10.

like if you wanna get into the weeds then its gets weird but so do the other ones.

yeah, until you want to run real software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

real software

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

real software

buffering

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

yeah, until you want to run real software

web browsers are the only software most people use any more and both firefox and chrome run on linux.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

i got my job because i bragged to the ceo about getting fallout new vegas to run in linux

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

if you told me that i would fire you

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

but all work and no play...

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
if Richard Milhouse Stallsman knew that you used GNU/Linux to run a nonfree computer game he would cry

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

does he still do that bullshit where he has webpages emailed to him because he's too much of an idiot zealot to use a browser?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he still does that bullshit where he makes other people open keycard doors for him and pay for hotel rooms because it's okay if he's forcing other people to give up their PII and use nonfree systems for his benefit, as long as he personally isn't affected

he's a giant gross hypocrite and he deserves to be cancelled

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

he still does that bullshit where he makes other people open keycard doors for him and pay for hotel rooms because it's okay if he's forcing other people to give up their PII and use nonfree systems for his benefit, as long as he personally isn't affected

he's a giant gross hypocrite and he deserves to be cancelled

lol for real?

Like those ultra orthodox that hire gentiles to flip light switches

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Gentle Autist posted:

i see nobody interesting in this image

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

President Beep posted:

how tall is he?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

lol for real?

Like those ultra orthodox that hire gentiles to flip light switches

he would routinely prop open the door to the office building where he was squatting so that he didn't have to use a keycard to get in. when the boston bombers were on the loose in the area he apparently became very irate because the campus was locked down and people refused to let him leave the doors open

quote:

I am looking for a room in a shared house or apartment as an interim place where I could stay for at least two months. Ideally I would have the option of staying for up to six months, but I could do without that.

I'd like it to be located within 15 minutes walk of a subway line (not counting the Green Line beyond Kenmore), or a high frequency bus line such as #1 or #77, or #71, #73 or #66. The point is it should not be so hard to get to Cambridge or Downtown Boston that it dissuades me from going.

There should not be a cat (unless hypoallergenic), or a dog that jumps up excitedly on people (unless quite small), or a digital listening device such as Echo, Siri or "Hello Google", or a card lock that records who opens the door. I will ask about cameras.

I'd like there to be a large supermarket in walking distance or close to a nearby subway station.

I can pay reasonable rent. The problem is finding a room that is available with certainty.

If you know of an opening, please email me at rms on the site gnu org with "Interim housing" as the subject.

-- Richard Stallman

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

jonathan davis looking like rms these days

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

if Richard Milhouse Stallsman knew that you used GNU/Linux to run a nonfree computer game he would cry

he knows he doesn't mind

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
speaking of internet weirdos, has jaron lanier been up to anything lately? i remember at one point nothing could happen without mondo2000 asking jaron lanier what he thought about it but i haven't heard of him in ages.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I’ve never heard of them and am not convinced you didn’t just make up a goofy almost-real-sounding name

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

on the contrary; if your white and you eat chinese food that’s cultural appropriation

what are some good examples of cultural appropriation where other cultures have appropriated european things? wonder if it's happened.

sometimes I read wikipedia and look at the dress suits the president of some african country wears and I wonder, how did the suit become international

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

echinopsis posted:

what are some good examples of cultural appropriation where other cultures have appropriated european things? wonder if it's happened.

sometimes I read wikipedia and look at the dress suits the president of some african country wears and I wonder, how did the suit become international

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

im dumb as hell what am I looking at and what am I meant to get

go ahead insult me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

real answer: imperialism.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
extremely true.

its just like, you've seen onsies.. and you choose to wear a sweaty gross suit

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

echinopsis posted:

im dumb as hell what am I looking at and what am I meant to get

it's a monkey dressed up like a french aristocrat

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it offensive?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

is it offensive?

from a food pov maybe

joking aside cultural appropriation doesn't necessarily mean that the end product is offensive outside of the appropriation. food is iffy, though, imo it's mostly a problem when you see a person or business from outside of the relevant food culture try and present themselves as an authority and benefit economically without any ties to the originating culture

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Stringent posted:

it's a monkey dressed up like a french aristocrat

You’re telling me that’s not Chester Cheetah?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

from a food pov maybe

joking aside cultural appropriation doesn't necessarily mean that the end product is offensive outside of the appropriation. food is iffy, though, imo it's mostly a problem when you see a person or business from outside of the relevant food culture try and present themselves as an authority and benefit economically without any ties to the originating culture

I once had an argument about the use of san pedro cactuses to get high, the annoying person I was arguing with claimed that since they're used in a sacred ritual, that it's wrong to get high in your living room with them. I don't agree with her. thank god I left that part of twitter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I once had an argument about the use of san pedro cactuses to get high, the annoying person I was arguing with claimed that since they're used in a sacred ritual, that it's wrong to get high in your living room with them. I don't agree with her. thank god I left that part of twitter.

ironically i'm sure she was a wealthy white liberal, too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

is it offensive?

im not really an expert but i find it pretty hard to get offended by other cultures “stealing” american culture or even making fun of americans directly. there’s probably a power component to it, like there is in racism, where the dominant side of the relationship has a lot more ability to inflict pain and suffering. and well, western european and specifically american culture is dominant in the world right now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

there’s probably a power component to it, like there is in racism

this is how i see it too. well put.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

this is how i see it too. well put.

how offended are you, living in michigan, to learn that china is appropriating american car culture

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

im not really an expert but i find it pretty hard to get offended by other cultures “stealing” american culture or even making fun of americans directly. there’s probably a power component to it, like there is in racism, where the dominant side of the relationship has a lot more ability to inflict pain and suffering. and well, western european and specifically american culture is dominant in the world right now

spot on, it's pretty difficult to make a case for appropriating a dominant culture that actively works to export their culture and value system around the world

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

how offended are you, living in michigan, to learn that china is appropriating american car culture

oh that’s too far!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cultural appropriation is well understood by an example: if you're a white hipster running a higher-end mexican restaurant in direct competition with a mexican-run food truck down the street it is tacky as hell to go on about how authentic and genuine your stuff is, and how you use the correct hard-to-get chilis that "some other" places don't have.

the name we give that specific kind of tackiness is cultural appropriation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you guys said good things. excellent things. thanks I agree