Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LionArcher posted:

I'm writing (well, set to write at the end of this year) a time loop sci fi horror thriller so this thread is relevant to my interests.

Logline. A close nit group of space miners answer a distress call near a black hole and find both a badly damaged ship from their own company and an ancient alien space station near it. Hijinks ensue.

There's actually a Twilight Zone episode with a vaguely similar premise called Death Ship, and it is a timeloop episode from a certain point of view. It's been 20 years since I saw it but IIRC the crew gets a distress signal and follows it down to a planet where they find their own ship with their own dead bodies in it. Very disturbing.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

An obscure Jeff Daniels movie that I haven't seen mentioned here but fits the bill by a hair is Timescape, otherwise known as Disaster In Time or Grand Tour: Disaster in Time.

Do yourself a favor, don't look up a plot summary, it's pretty decent. It was directed by David Twohy who went on to direct Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. I can't find it on streaming but you never know...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Looper and Back to the Future both operate on the same logic; the difference is that Back to the Future is nice enough to give you a grace period before it deletes you. If you're not bothered by the rules of BttF (and nobody is) then you're not bothered by the rules of Looper. In fact to have free will + time travel you would have to embrace something like the Looper model.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

albedoa posted:

I just noticed that the The Infinite Man (2014) hasn't been mentioned. It's good.

I encourage everyone to go to the Wikipedia page for this movie and read the plot summary, which I can only describe as "a disassociative episode transcribed"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Annabel Pee posted:

Hello CineD I like time loop movies a lot and this is a thread about time loop movies.

I think that you and I are the only two people who enjoyed and remembered ARQ. I actually thought it was pretty cool and enjoyed the ending.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Please don't get me wrong: ARQ is not particularly good but I did enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

God Hole posted:

has anyone mentioned Time Lapse (2014)? it involves a dude who invents a camera that takes future pictures of what it's pointed at and the Primer-like shenanigans that ensue. i'd put it on a similar tier to ARQ in that it's an enjoyable enough netflix romp with some issues

There is also an episode of Twilight Zone with the exact same plot, if you love the premise and want to see it done 50 years ago instead of 5.

Annabel Pee posted:

I haven't seen ARQ.

I was attempting a time loop, check out the first message of the thread

Sorry I'm dumb?!?!?!?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 15, 2021