Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Coherence does a thing where there are small bits that don't make uh...coherent sense, but are sort of left dangling, because a the point of time-travel is that doesn't make sense. Like in Primer when their boss appears from the future, and they have no way of knowing how the gently caress that happened, because it's now been paradoxed out of existence.

In Coherence its one of the guests not recognising Nicholas Brendan from her favourite TV show - which is a pretty massive hint that there's some parallel-universe fuckery before the comet shows up How? Why? I dunno, and you're not gonna get a nice neat answer.

It's like how in Looper Kid Blue is totally a younger version of Abe. All their interactions hint at it, it makes perfect thematic sense, but from a plot level it seems aboslutely nonsense that this would be the case.

I'm starting to get tired of intricate puzzle-plot type movies, so I really like it when a movie gives a deliberate middle-finger to the idea that you should be able to "solve" them.

Oo, now I have to watch Primer again. I last saw it in... 2008. Whoa. Coherence is one of my favourite films. One of my favourite moments in it is when near the start of the film, before anything is revealed - the two guys who were scouting come back, only its them from a parallel/other house party and they're from a part in the plot way further into the film. The look on their faces is weathered and tired and hesitant but and, as a viewer, I felt something was off but couldn't quite place it. And then you find out the whole twist of the film and its like ohhhh that makes sense now. I think it does a really cool thing that I wish more time loop/twisty films would do and that's literally teleport in main characters from the future of the film but they don't give anything away, become intergrated with the plot and I know we're reaching a fractal new leaf to the tv tropes tree because there should be a name for this obscure rear end convention goddamnit

I think all the time loop films I know have been mentioned. But it does have me wondering, what does a time triangle film look like, or a time square one hm. I suppose a normal linear film could be depicted with a vector and a time loop plot with a circle so it feels like other shapes would create other plot conventions but my dumb flatland brain isn't sure what they could be. I suppose a triangle could depict things slowly transforming into a parallel universe, going back in time, reaching a zenith point and then slowly turning back to the original universe but meh. I am aware any shape could depict any time/parallel universe trope but its kinda fun to think about. tickles the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU