Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This thread seems to have covered all the time loop movies and episodes I can think of. I guess there's the Legends of Tomorrow episode as well.

Some books that might interest are The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North and Replay by Ken Grimwood. These are both long-term time loops, as in the main character lives their entire life over and over again. The former is legit good and I'd recommend it whether or not someone was explicitly looking for a time loop. The latter is a decent read for people who are already in the market for the genre.

For those willing to read web novels, there's Mother of Learning, about a young wizard who gets stuck in a month-long time loop and must stop an invasion of his home nation.

Of the mentioned stuff, I liked Happy Death Day 1 and 2, the first one more than the second, but I'm still excited for the potential third film. Day Break was a great series that didn't outstay its welcome, though I wish it had gotten more. Palm Springs was fun and The Map of Tiny Perfect Things was sweet.

The Agents of SHIELD episode mentioned above had a particularly clever take on the time loop, and I'd love to see it explored more in a full length movie--there are two of them trapped in a loop, BUT if one of them dies, that person's memories reset to pre-loop. This effectively creates a fail condition of "if you both die in the same loop, you're trapped forever", but the story wasn't too interested in exploring that part; it was more about two characters not knowing how long they've been looping and having asymmetrical information. A whole movie with this concept would be pretty cool.

This is less important, but to add to the complexity of the situation in that episode, one character starts the loop in hibernation, and he's only woken up when the other character catches on, and wakes them up for advice, which means that if the first character dies, a whole cycle gets wasted with her just rediscovering the loop--a huge penalty because there's only a finite number of cycles before they all die for real.

Argue fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just watched +1 and I think the premise was interesting but it was really dumb how most of the actions taken in the film were driven by the main character spotting a known unstable violent guy kill his double out of confusion, and then extrapolating from it (and selling everyone on the idea) that time twins have malicious intent and are homicidally violent towards their duplicates

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 10, 2021