Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jen X posted:

I dislike how little actually happened here, tbh.

A lot of the show's appeal to me was in avoiding this kind of downtime stuff, doing character advancement alongside and through the action and investigation portions of the show instead of segmenting it off. We got 5 episodes straight where the plot occurred alongside characterization, and, uh...there wasn't much of a plot to this one.

Spending multiple episodes retreading the same ground of the first episode through an amnesia storyline doesn't sound very appealing.

??

Every single arc so far has been:
Episode one, setup the situation
Episode two, resolve the situation.

The overall format for this one is no different than the orbital hotel pair of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I can't tell, I have no ear for music, I assume the crazy AI's are humming the end theme.

Correct. However, they are humming it in a minor key rather than the major key it was written in by Vivy. Stuff written in a minor key usually sounds more ominous or foreboding. You'll hear it frequently in soundtracks for horror movies.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

This show was brought to you by the Issac Asimov Institute for Always Implementing the Three Rules.

Issac Asimov himself has like a dozen stories about how his three rules fail to prevent catastrophic misalignment of AI and human values. They are really not a good solution to AI safety.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

In the end the show's themes were kind of a mess and all over the place. The things setup, like Vivy having to sing to stop the Archive, don't even pay off, since as far as I can tell, her singing had zero impact on what the Archive was doing. From the previous timeline we are told that the Archive would reconsider its entire strategy if she is able to come out and sing, she does so, and... the Archive doesn't react at all? What was the point? Was her goal to make the world happy with her singing? Because she failed at that since millions of people died by AI's singing her song and her singing didn't even do anything to stop it? Was her goal to stop the AI uprising? Because she didn't do that either. Aside from her info dump everyone before she goes off and sings pointlessly to an empty stage, other people are all the ones who ultimately stopped the Archive using a virus not developed by her at all.

Honestly, it's a real mess and I had a feeling it was going to flop it's conclusion here.