Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is an exceedingly good show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I dislike how little actually happened here, tbh.

A lot of the show's appeal to me was in avoiding this kind of downtime stuff, doing character advancement alongside and through the action and investigation portions of the show instead of segmenting it off. We got 5 episodes straight where the plot occurred alongside characterization, and, uh...there wasn't much of a plot to this one.

Spending multiple episodes retreading the same ground of the first episode through an amnesia storyline doesn't sound very appealing.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 8, 2021

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

??

Every single arc so far has been:
Episode one, setup the situation
Episode two, resolve the situation.

The overall format for this one is no different than the orbital hotel pair of episodes.

No? The past 2 arcs have started with Diva doing random idol stuff for like 2 minutes, Matsumoto showing up, then an investigation for the rest of the episode leading into the action, then the action payoff episode.

This one was 20 minutes of Diva doing idol stuff/re-introducting herself to Matsumoto and 2 minutes of, after a very brief statement of goals for the arc, not even starting to investigate/prepare to resolve the situation.

I enjoyed the lack of downtime compared to investigation/exploration of the scenario, and would have preferred that the characterization in this episode have occurred in the context of the series plot/specific scenario, and not the relatively uninspired idol downtime slice-of-life stuff.

Idk, it'll hopefully end up being fine, but this episode was a lot less interesting than the prior two investigation/setup ones.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 9, 2021

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I enjoyed this one much more than last week's, but in retrospect I can see why setting up "Ophelia" so much was necessary to make the whole thing hit much harder. Still don't love the amnesia plot but it might be going somewhere interesting, so I'll have some faith.

They shoulda condensed last week's and this week's episodes together, I think.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 15, 2021

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I cannot loving believe that the amnesia arc was cover for resolving the question of identity that came up in Episode 6 but got concealed by the logical crisis. I expected Vivy to come back. I did not expect it to be by active removal of the other mission — which is an AI's identity, in this setting — that was causing her trouble.

I'm flabbergasted that they managed to completely turn around an arc that I hated, simply by reframing new-Diva as the Diva-half of the main character's identity that still very much existed when she reached her breaking point in 6. She was a new character that was, thematically and practically, there the entire time.

Also, that fight scene was ridiculously good.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 22, 2021

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This loving episode was about to make me cry, and then there came an IMMEDIATE tonal change, absolutely shattering the melancholic peacefulness.

I am absolutely staggered at how they have completely reframed the entire amnesia arc as the death of the Diva part of Vivy, an identity unto herself, and the grief therefrom that haunts her and ultimately inspires her.

What a good loving show.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh my god it's literally SKYNET

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

If they can nail the ending, this might be my favorite anime ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I loved the ending and think the show did exactly what it said it would

the idea of AI as an oppressed minority is an impressively cynical criticism, I'll grant that much

I would say that the show is operating under the philosophical question of "what distinguishes humans from machines?", an umbrella which has a long history with ancillary contact with stories using robots as stand-ins for minorities

Jen X fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 20, 2021