Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

VideoGameVet posted:

Two consulting gigs:

1. Marketing for a board game on Steam and Mobile.
2. Advising a interesting MMO in development.

And some stuff related to NFT’s.

What is your take on the whole NFT thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah, ad supported TV vs. premium Movies.

But Free To Play is a whole new way of extracting cash from the Obsessive Compulsives.

There are fair Free To Play models, and then there are Skinner Boxes.

I am in the midst of dealing with a Personal Issue w/r/t the power creep market present in most phone games, and without getting too personal here, I'm pretty sure those exploitative pieces of poo poo are fuckin' Divorce Machines.

Good thing there's a kid involved so I wasn't willing to go that far, right? :smithicide:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Waroduce posted:

How do non competes work in your world? Like im a mid career product guy specifically in healthcare and I have lawyers review all my poo poo so that I don't sign something that says "CANT WORK ON ANYTHING THAT TRANSFERS PATIENT INFORMATION ELELCTRONICALLY" but I for sure can't work in specific verticals like substance abuse, adolescent behavioral health and other stuff where I built and bought products to market....

Is it typical to slap non competes on engineers and product peoples in the manner of let's say leaving Bungie and not being allowed to work on a scifi shooter mmo or something?

I am not a lawyer, nor have I spoken to one in the last 10 minutes, but . . .

My understanding of the whole Non-Compete space as it relates to BFC (the forum I mean) is that almost all of this sort of verbiage is - at a legal level - not enforceable. It merely exists to cause people who might otherwise consider changing employers to second-guess that decision.

Again, seek legal advice if you're concerned, but at the end of the day you're probably able to whatever you want without repercussions.

Edit: to answer your actual question, I think the answer is that HR, anybody, and everybody will slap non-compete verbiage on everything they possibly can - even the lunchroom fridge - but that none of it means a hill of beans in the real world and it's just an attrition-reduction tactic that won't actually bind anyone who is interested in scrutinizing it.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 27, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

VideoGameVet posted:

You can protect trade secrets but non-competes are mainly BS.

I want to just drop in to say that I'm glad you are taking all of this in stride.

I value your posting and I recognize that this has to be a tough time for you (not that you are unused to tough times, given the industry and all) but that you are able to present detached and realistic viewpoints of the goings-on all the same.

Thank you for being you, and good luck on the biking thing. My biking experiences were overwhelmingly negative and I gave them up in favor of just walking.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

slidebite posted:

I've never used Slack, but I use teams on an almost daily basis. It's a clunky, non-intuitive and typical MS crap that doesn't integrate into their office suite half as well as it should. Simple example, contacts.
Trying to set up a meeting and send invites. It doesn't pull the contacts from my outlook/exchange contact folder. I literally have to literally copy/paste the contact in it.

Not a deal breaker, just not simple.

Huh, I've never tried to create a meeting from Teams. I always do that in Outlook.

I've used Teams pretty extensively and Slack a little. I mostly just use Teams for calls, screenshare, and individual chats, though. The actual "Team" functionality doesn't seem that compelling, but maybe it has a purpose I just haven't figured out yet.