Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you had the choice, would you want to be developing games at an AAA studio like Rockstar or Ubisoft now? Are there particular skillsets or qualities that you would need to acquire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I do software engineering in games (mostly tools) here - Vet's answer definitely track. To add bonus context:

1) Most people I work with do not have CS degrees and are self-taught. No one seems to care about your education and they really want to see your portfolio.

2) I've never had an interview that didn't ask about CS fundamentals. Especially as you approach graphics, engine and higher ranks of of gameplay engineering, the expectation is that you have a deep understanding of how a computer actually does the work it does. I was drilled pretty extensively about threading and the inner workings of an await/async pattern for a mid level tools position. I'll also say that I've never heard of a 'front end' tools developer. The expectation in my experience is that you can wield your entire stack, perhaps with a specialty or a focus. I'd imagine Gameplay for a Unity or Unreal project may ask about API stuff, but the expectation in my experience is that you could author the API if given the time, not just use it.
I have trouble reconciling these two points — none of your coworkers are trained in CS yet the job demands a strong understanding of CA fundamentals? Is the implication here that all the self-taught people have managed to grasp strong fundamentals?