Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
I am a full stack web developer, and I've always wondering how game developments works compared to web dev.

1) How is tooling for game development?
Context: Up until like mid 2010 web dev didn't have the ability to easily do a lot of stuff you see on the web today. Around that time some tools launched which made being able to quickly and easily build complex stuff. Now we constantly have new open source tools and software to make life easier for us. These tools typically drastically reduce the amount of code we have to write, or automate a tedious process to reduce the amount of time we spend writing code.

What kind of coding tools do you guys use to make game dev life easier?

2) Has developing games become easier over time?
Context: As mentioned above, web development has become really easy to the point that you can do a lot of stuff that wasn't easy before. Games seem like they get more difficult over time because of all the new features. Is it more difficult to make games now then before? Or has it become easier as time goes on?

3) What was version control like when you started? Did you use git?

4) How was troubleshooting code done before things like stack overflow and google? It seems like you did a majority of your coding before people had the ability to google answers to programming questions. What was that like?

5) What were the IDEs like? Nowadays we have so many IDEs with features like intellisense and a lot of plugins that make our quality of life easier. What did you have before? Was it basically just like using notepad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!

VideoGameVet posted:

I’ve been in the industry for a long time so let me break this into some sort of history. My console experience is mainly SNES and Genesis from a “tools’ perspective, so this will mainly be about PC and Mobile:

1970’s to 1984:

BASIC, Assembly. There was a Pascal (P-System) which compiled to some sort of virtual machine. Avalon Hill’s text adventure game “Lords Of Karma” (I was a playtester) used the Pascal. I also started coding in FORTH, did a Turtle-Graphics thing for The Atari Program Exchange (APX) and Valgraphics and a wire-frame 3D thing for ValForth (nothing to do with Valdocs, just a coincidence that I ended up working on that).

My AH games were Basic and Assembly (when needed).

One exception to this was Infocom. They used a Mainframe LISP to code their text adventures in a LISP like language. A really high level system.

Source control? Not much. No GIT.

1984-1988

Mac, IBM PC. Mac used a LISA and Pascal for dev. I ended up using a FORTH for my 2 Mac games (Pyramid of Peril and MacChallenger), You started to have descent ‘C’s and Pascals (Turbo C and Turbo Pascal were really popular). Most of the games with real time play were all or mostly assembly. C64? NES? Assembly for the most part.

1988 to 1994

My time at Activision. We did stuff like version control with servers on the LAN. The adventure game companies (Sierra, Lucas, Infocom) had decent dev systems. I created MADE originally to port Cyan’s “The Manhole” to DOS. Consoles? All assembly of course. The original SNES dev. System was a SONY NEWS Unix workstation. Starting to see decent 3D modeling tools.

1994 - Now

Development tools vastly improve. Hardware 3D on PC’s. Windows gets support for fast 2D and 3D graphics. Internet. Source repository. IDE’s like Unity and Unreal are super impressive. Mobile starts with crappy feature phones in the 2000 decade. IPhone and Android bring app stores that creates a tsunami of games released.

So while it’s easier to build a cool game, the competition is off the charts.

That's a really loving cool history. Thanks for that.

I had some more if it's OK.

1) For web dev, it's possible to get a good job as a self taught dev (outside of some snobby companies). What's that like for game dev? Do self taught game devs have a fair shot as someone with a CS degree? I managed to get a job as self taught at a major non tech company and was wondering if it was possible for game devs to do the same.

2) Are technical interviews any different for game devs? In web dev sometimes you'll get high end companies who want you to know all about data structures and algorithims even if you do front end code (styling the UI/UX). The more reasonable technical interviews involve API questions and quick pair programming.

3) I keep hearing about "Crunch" in game dev and I was hoping you could explain what causes it. In web dev, I think the way it works in most places is that by the time it gets to the coders hands the UI is completely mocked up, so we're just taking static files and turning them into code. No one else really has to do anything besides maybe QA and I guess whoever deploys the code. How does it work for game dev? Like, if the coders are the one who write the code, what are other people doing during crunch? I get QA is probably testing code, but what about designers and stuff? Does designing take a long time which causes the coders to scramble?

4) From what you've talked about, it seems like Game Dev is super hard. The salaries for game devs and web devs are neck and neck. Why would someone choose game dev? Like web dev all we pretty much do all day is loop through JSON objects. That seems a lot easier then what you guys have to deal with. Do game devs ever get fed up and switch to programming simpler stuff?