Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

idk if this is actually a thread about managment

anyway I am the "manager" at my pharmacy. we had a bit of a chat this morning. I made it clear to everyone that when you want to take time off, yes you may feel a pressure that you're putting everyone else under stress because we operate at minimum staff levels and have small staff anyway, so a person off can be a 1/3 of your staff off or more.

and so people may feel something like they're being a dick by taking time off, or someone else may be annoyed that someone is taking time off because it makes their job harder

and so I made it clear to everyone who works under me, that the actuality is that our boss has chosen to udnerstaff us so if there is anyone to get annoyed at it's him and not thre person taking time off

there are 3 pharmacies in the group, and we share staff, and the attitude I shared isn't the way it is at the other places, at least at one of them the manager guilt trips people when they want to take time off.

I then said "I reckon I am a poo poo manager" because I reckon I am, I barely manage anything, I am just fortunate that my staff are great people. I'm no good at correcting people. but I am very chill. and so people said "nah we love working for you" and thats nice to know but I don't know if the success of the business agrees. covid and market downturn and massive aussie pharmacies have eviscterated us, and some time ever we're gonna merge with a medical centre and when that happens who know who'll be on the chopping block.

hopefully not me. I bring something special to the pharmacy. which is my genitals. we have a lot of other cultures and immigrants in our area and they're generally sexist as heck and I am the only dude in the entire business outside of the owner, and so they always want to talk to me and ignore the women. its poo poo as heck but it's hardly my place to tell other people from other cultures how to act

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are you struggling to get your ideas implemented? Do your colleagues say they are "dumb as gently caress", "completely lacks understanding of the problem space", or "an enormous waste of time"? Try running some user focus group sessions, then using the results (Important! You should be the one writing them up) to bludgeon the rest of the company into submission. Accuse them of not being data driven if they push back.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

source your quotes

nice one. I was proud of myself for informing the staff of their rights and to blame the right person

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pointsofdata posted:

Are you struggling to get your ideas implemented? Do your colleagues say they are "dumb as gently caress", "completely lacks understanding of the problem space", or "an enormous waste of time"? Try running some user focus group sessions, then using the results (Important! You should be the one writing them up) to bludgeon the rest of the company into submission. Accuse them of not being data driven if they push back.

are you our product team

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hammerite posted:

Visit the people doing UI once every 4 weeks. Demand they make something look a certain way. The next time you visit, demand to know why it looks that way because it's obviously terrible and they should know better. Look them straight in the eye when you do it
I had a boss who would do this in our weekly 1:1s so I started ccing her the notes from the meeting so when she would get mad about what she saw as a dumb design decision I could point to where she literally told me to do it, while this did piss her off to my surprise she eventually backed off a bit

I think she didn't actually like being a full time manager and missed being a designer so she just micromanaged her whole team and I can see myself turning into that

pointsofdata posted:

a different manager had a truly bad idea that everyone except the vp in charge of our group hated so we spent tons of money usability testing it in a dedicated lab with professional test proctors and extensive recruiting and everyone hated it [I've been doing these for 20 years and it's the single worst test response I've ever seen] so net net I got blamed for not designing the bad idea good enough. after that I started asking lots of questions about managers' motivations and style during interviews

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

labour disputes shall be arbitrated through a Mario kart race on the office console

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one day a year is the office purge. you can say anything to anyone for 8 glorious hours.

attendance is not required, but if you choose not to participate you must spend all day in a sensitivity awareness course.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

As a manager, if you want your employees to take your meetings seriously and to give them a lot of thought, let them know on Friday afternoon that you have to talk to them first thing Monday morning, and provide no further details. This will give them the entire week-end to introspect about their work here.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

in order to facilitate a good team dynamic, you must ensure that all employees are friends. you can do this by dedicating the first 15 minutes of a compulsory monthly departmental meeting to "banter" in zoom breakout rooms

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MononcQc posted:

As a manager, if you want your employees to take your meetings seriously and to give them a lot of thought, let them know on Friday afternoon that you have to talk to them first thing Monday morning, and provide no further details. This will give them the entire week-end to introspect about their work here.

this past saturday my boss sent out a 9am monday morning meeting request and i completely blew it off

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

fart simpson posted:

this past saturday my boss sent out a 9am monday morning meeting request and i completely blew it off

lmao

the absolute gall to send out an invite for a monday morning meeting at any point past the previous thursday

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I need to "lay the hard word" on my technician who is also my only coworker for 18 hours a week...

neither I nor the primary technician was at work monday, but this was planned so there was cover. A locum was covering me and the tech who also works with me was there.

once a week at the start of the week we run a weekly cycle that generates all of the compliance packs being made. normally the main tech does it and the other tech helps out. in other times when the main tech has been away but I've been there, she's done it.

but last monday she didn;t. sure I never asked her but there's not really any excuse for being unaware that it needs to be done (its in the handbook of weekly/daily duties), so that means she knew it needed to be done, but chose not to do it, so the main tech still had to do it.

and I was speaking to the locum today and she told me about a couple of situations where the locum asked about this or that and the tech said to leave it until the other tech tomorrow.

it's just unacceptable to just ignore work and leave it for your coworker like this.

I'm real disappointed actually. never felt such a sense of disappointment before

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

I need to "lay the hard word" on my technician who is also my only coworker for 18 hours a week...

neither I nor the primary technician was at work monday, but this was planned so there was cover. A locum was covering me and the tech who also works with me was there.

once a week at the start of the week we run a weekly cycle that generates all of the compliance packs being made. normally the main tech does it and the other tech helps out. in other times when the main tech has been away but I've been there, she's done it.

but last monday she didn;t. sure I never asked her but there's not really any excuse for being unaware that it needs to be done (its in the handbook of weekly/daily duties), so that means she knew it needed to be done, but chose not to do it, so the main tech still had to do it.

and I was speaking to the locum today and she told me about a couple of situations where the locum asked about this or that and the tech said to leave it until the other tech tomorrow.

it's just unacceptable to just ignore work and leave it for your coworker like this.

I'm real disappointed actually. never felt such a sense of disappointment before

Sounds like management didn’t properly set expectations to me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah she made excuses. regardless it’s not going to happen again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

yeah she made excuses. regardless it’s not going to happen again

you fired her?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
hell yeah dude

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol in this job market? no one to replace her

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

lol in this job market? no one to replace her

they say sex after firing someone is the best sex. a very intense sex.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pointsofdata posted:

Agile workflows are great, but very hard to plan around. Consider adding quarterly product goals, then dividing them into weekly sprint goals, to get the best of both worlds.

literally what my work does

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

they say sex after firing someone is the best sex. a very intense sex.

dude shes like 7 years younger than me and also a girl. gross

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i didn’t say you have to have sex with her specifically. i didn’t even imply it, that’s on you

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

sex is too much effort, i’d rather eat chicken liver pâté whilst shitposting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i didn’t say you have to have sex with her specifically. i didn’t even imply it, that’s on you

um where in the heck did I mention sex?

what a sick mind you have

I was merely mentioning that I am repulsed by her youth and gender

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

um where in the heck did I mention sex?

what a sick mind you have

I was merely mentioning that I am repulsed by her youth and gender

it is known that you are always talking about sex

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
frequently cited, this myth endures but is rarely backed by evidence

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i only want to post this art because i find enormous cartoon breasticles aesthetically pleasing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

i only want to post this art because i find enormous cartoon breasticles aesthetically pleasing

yeah yeah, i've been to a renaissance art exhibit too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

for a brighter workplace, consider replacing old office art with corporate ad campaign posters

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

make your antisocial nerd employees feel more at home by decorating the office with star wars pixel art prints from etsy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gentle Autist posted:

sex is too much effort, i’d rather eat chicken liver pâté whilst shitposting.

FINALLY a good opinion

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Management tip from my employer:

If your direct reports aren't getting enough done, try scheduling daily 45-min "sync-up" meetings until they're back on track.

Also encourage other people to set up similar meetings with your report, but at different times.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

If your direct reports aren't getting enough done, try scheduling daily 45-min "sync-up" meetings until they're back on track

Also encourage other people to set up similar meetings with your report, but at different times.

the more people you invite the more synchronized your team will be

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
If your reports are behind schedule, I recommend they have 4 hours of daily meetings at minimum until they're all caught up.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also note that these sync up meetings must not interfere with daily standups

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
An intense focus on JIRA metrics is also a good way to make sure your employees feel productive and valued.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 13, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
im living the dream

my boss is giving me more responsibilities, including some more management-type stuff

my pay will remain the same and I will not have any more actual authority

hell yeah

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Agile Vector posted:

yeah yeah, i've been to a renaissance art exhibit too

The exploration of cellulite in Rubens paintings is the whole reason to go to renaissance museums.

Hell yea!

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 14, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The exploration of cellulite in Rubens paintings is the whole reason to go to renaissance museums.

Hell yea!

oh so that's what rubenesque means

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Hell yea!

#2 really just looks like the tp is sticking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

dude shes like 7 years younger than me and also a girl. gross

fart simpson posted:

lmao echi he's referencing a cop video where the cop giving training is saying the sex after killing someone is great. they are not talking about having sex with the person they just killed, or fired in your case. gat-drat son