Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I thought True Detective S2 was too convoluted and all over the place. Vince Vaughn was alright though.

S3 is more grounded and has a lot of good performances, Ali and Dorff in particular, and scratches the same itches S1 does. I'd say skip S2 and give S3 a watch. Neither really live up to S1 I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I am in the same position so if I ever cave and watch the other seasons I'll try to remember to let you know... I've heard a few people say that the backlash was kind of unfair and season 2, while worse than season 1, was still good. And I've heard very little about season 3 either way. I also have not seen, but have heard good things about, Too Old to Die Young.

True Detective Season 2 pissed everyone off because it is so different from Season 1, and not nearly as good, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. It would have been so much better as a post-World War II period piece set in the 1950s, though. Season 3 feels a lot more like Season 1 in tone and style, but is a lot less exciting and intriguing. If you keep subscribing to HBO Max, why not give them a shot? What do you have to lose?

As for Too Old to Die Young, I watched the whole thing when it came out, and it was an audacious, frustrating, weird, uncomfortable, often nonsensical, poorly paced show that has to be seen to be believed. At the time, I wanted desperately to talk about it, but very few people here had seen it, and those who did weren't talkin'. But it's from the writer/director of Drive and one of my favorite comic book writers, Ed Brubaker, so it sounded very much like my poo poo. Who knew it would be more like poo poo, minus the "my"? That said, I hope you give it a chance, just so I can see your reactions through the whole thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
too old to die young stinks aside from a few amazing scenes but they’re not worth the 13 hours it takes to watch it all imo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The thing about True Detective is that none of the seasons are connected* so you can watch them in any order and skip any of them.
*They take place in the same universe but that's like throw-away lines of dialog.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just finished this.

Kate Winslet is incredible. One of the best performances I've seen.

Wow.