Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What’s the good vanu sniper rifle. Someone tell me RIGHT NOW NO MORE GAMES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ghost with a 4x.

Or the Parallax if you're trying to be a useless bushwookie.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

nullfunction posted:

Or the Parallax if you're trying to be a useless bushwookie.

Now we’re loving TALKING

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
playing this at 144hz is basically cheating and I love it. Couldn't figure out how to walk up walls so hopefully someone can illuminate us

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

playing this at 144hz is basically cheating and I love it. Couldn't figure out how to walk up walls so hopefully someone can illuminate us

Hey folks, Wrel here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CCpQ4h5sGA

This dude is the lead designer now because he made videos about the game.

In the last few years they've done passes on some bases with critical walls to make them not climbable/sticky like in the videos so if you find one you can't climb it's probably that, but generally the large facilities and random trees are still climbable. Also if you just have to get on top of a building fast the Icarus jump jets are good.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Made a VS dude on Emerald, on as ProfessionalAtWorkHere ingame, nightwisher in discord.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Watch this entire playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyeDiqB_ck&list=PL1tO48F_UTipmZww88dnwYe9e4oxvIocv

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

are there recommended settings to see and shoot mans?
I recall following a settings.ini guide to improve what cloakers look like and bumped the contrast between characters and trees.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
does this game still have russian mob connections

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mercury_Storm posted:

does this game still have russian mob connections

Not sure, they got bought by EG7 last year who have been buying established game developers including Piranha who makes Mechwarrior Online. The article says EG7 is Stockholm-based but that doesn't mean it's not Russians behind it, although I think the previous owners were the ones people were suspicious of.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-02-planetside-developer-daybreak-bought-for-usd300m

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
didn't PSide and EQ and such get spun out of DBG to subsidiaries who actually develop them, with Daybreak only basically doing account management and counting money?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

cmdrk posted:

didn't PSide and EQ and such get spun out of DBG to subsidiaries who actually develop them, with Daybreak only basically doing account management and counting money?

Yeah, it's developed by "Rogue Planet Games" now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rexxed posted:

The bounty system was redone a couple of years ago. It used to be a dumb cash grab where you could pay 50 DBC to put a bounty on someone who'd killed you. Now, if you get a kill streak of 7 without dying you'll get a 3 stack of bounties and the next three people that kill you get a bounty kill. There's some xp bonuses for killing someone with a bounty and if you kill more people while bountied you get a little bonus (I think it's +25XP for being Hunted). Also the main reason to pay any attention to it is that the bounty directive reward includes a title and a NS-15 Gallows when you finish it, and there's a daily bounty hunter mission that often has 200 A7 as a reward.

Wait so, what happened if you had a bounty placed on you back in the day and now its become this new system?

Cause if it removed the bounty off people who had it in the past, then I loving wasted some BAX person's money cause I hopped off after getting a bounty when I maxes for baxes'd them and never logged in again

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I actually like the new bases, had a ton of fun running around with my thumper. Also i had a 1.6kdr after nearly 3 hours but i made 1k certs so membership is pretty goddamn sweet for $10.

Mustarde
Oct 26, 2014

Connoisseur of fine IPA`s and Chili with beans!
Lover of mayonnaise and anime!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yumi is the burst AR right? That thing rules, it just takes a ton of getting used to because it's very unlike every other weapon. You have to predict where people will be, but it deletes people from the game when you get it right.

Makes a good noise too.

If Mustarde is allowed to say the Nyx is good because it's good getting headshots, then I'm allowed to say the Yumi is.

I've auraxed the Yumi 6 times across factions. After a while you learn to play to its strengths. It's just an unforgivable downside that you have a delay going into every head to head gunfight. There are enough good HA's out there that can burst you in the head before the burst even kicks off. So you either play extremely passive and compete with bolt babies or get up close and win some fights but lose to equal skilled or better players. My best moments with it definitely came from spamming crowded choke points where you know people will be there and can pre-fire that delay.

The nyx may be a very niche gun for certain play style but it can beat out other infils, it chews up non-HA's and when you go up against a HA there's at least a chance of winning if you can keep on the head. I don't have any good clips to show it off but it's one of those guns that you can use on big and small maps without feeling range restricted.

Rexxed posted:

I'm looking forward to the NSX Kuwa which is a NSO weapon directive reward. It has the same spin up time but just shoots for as long as you hold it down instead of bursting. In some ways I'm sure it'll be frustrating too, but at least it'll be different, which is kind of what all the NSO directive weapons are like.

I hated the Kuwa at first. I still don't love it, but it remains very accurate after the fire delay and the 150 damage model is interesting. Kind of nice on a medic. The HA has too many other good LMG's to use. I plan on spending more time with it.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
bring back planetside 1, soe you cowards

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Frida Call Me posted:

bring back planetside 1, soe you cowards

without BFRs, please.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

cmdrk posted:

without BFRs, please.

they got completely nerfed into oblivion by the end and were 100% a non-issue. you could emp them and kill them with decimators, the only defense was for the pilot to eject and fight them on foot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can player bases still be completely obliterated by a single esf?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Just tried this for a few hours, captured like 10 bases and got... 50 certs. With most weapons still costing 1000 certs to unlock seems like I would still have to make this game my life to unlock everything, even with a membership. That unlocks are still character specific and not account wide is extra baffling.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Mercury_Storm posted:

Just tried this for a few hours, captured like 10 bases and got... 50 certs. With most weapons still costing 1000 certs to unlock seems like I would still have to make this game my life to unlock everything, even with a membership. That unlocks are still character specific and not account wide is extra baffling.

the prior model was $15/mo or you can't play, then briefly, you can play, but you're level-capped to 25% of everyone else. this is probably the better model but it still sucks.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
You don't really need to buy guns, they're nice to have but the starters are all good. Play medic and rank up your medic gun first, you can get a ton of certs pretty quickly if you find a big fight and hang out healing and reviving people.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the game is good but the business model is rear end. I've spent hundreds of dollars on this game (granted all before like 2017) but all my friends left that faction so I'm basically starting over on Vanu, and by that I mean I've already uninstalled and told my friends not to bother. I've had some pretty amazing moments in the last few days but the monetization gets in the games way very hard.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I played for a year or so back when SOE was still in control, so the way it is now seems more or less the same. I unlocked maybe 30% of the certs back then. Now, though, there's so much more stuff to unlock it would be literal years before I could catch up.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I play off and on and I can honestly say that playing with goons is the best drat fun ever.

Play this, play with goons, get burned out, wait a year, repeat.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Winning an alert can give you 200 certs on its own as a non member with no boosts, and ignoring the fact that you can get an implant with merit that'll double it. That's 200 for 1:30 of play + whatever you earn during the alert, which even for medium to bad players can be another 100. 300 certs for a night isn't amazing (and like I said even without spending it can be much higher than that, closer to 700), but considering how much they've flattened the power curve of the must-haves you're going to be fully effective in a single role in a day or two, and you just starting building more versatility as you go.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

If you want to make a lot of certs in a very small amount of time, find a large fight and either revive downed allies as a medic or spray recon darts everywhere as an infil. Remember to shoot bad guys too. Between kills you'll rake in an tsunami of exp.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I have a lot of fond memories of the game, but near my final phase of play I usually just teamed up with a couple of old online friends, pulled a Harasser and let my friends farm kills all night. Funny to cram the car onto the amp station walls and roadkill defenders until they start mining the tower stairs.

Or we'd do weird projects like run a Sunderer with fully certed Walker AA guns and try to lure in ESFs with my blinking neon lights because gently caress skygods.

I spent quite a bit of money on cosmetics for my Sunderer :10bux:

Also I told all my friends to blow 250 certs on the AA lock-on launcher just before they made them more expensive. They made other guns cost more certs too but that was less relevant at the time since the stock guns are good.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 2, 2021

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I just grab the membership while I play, easy certs and when I burn out after a month or two just cancel, rinse and repeat. It's nice game to hop in and out of

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The monetization has always been bad, but it also used to heavily favor sales. I remember the first few black friday/cyber monday weekends they've have discounts on store cash and it was big, like half off or something. Plus, the first Christmas season had sales where a lot of cosmetics would cost 1. They don't do that now but there's daily sales and bundles when new stuff comes out that are usually when I pick up most things, or in anniversary bundles which also give heroic boosts which last 6 months (or some are a year) with 50% bonus XP. I didn't get any of the player base Construction stuff until like 6 months ago since I disliked player bases and avoided them entirely until the campaign. I have most of the guns at this point but there's definitely a thing that they're all balanced with overall damage output in mind so there's no need to buy any particular one unless you like it. Also I hop around and do different things so despite playing for years I still have very few auraxed because I change up what I'm doing too much. I've been working on being focused more recently, but some days you just feel like player a stalker infil with a crossbow and a power knife.

Leal posted:

Can player bases still be completely obliterated by a single esf?

You can't kill a player base with a single ESF easily (the air turrets on them are brutal and the sky shield prevents a lot of that), but you can often do it as an infiltrator with a cortium bomb. If you can get into their Sunderer garage and leave the bomb in the middle of the spawn tube and essential modules it takes them all out. Also if they made a bunker you can hack the equipment terminal to resupply. I've made huge bases and left for 10 minutes and they've been totally wrecked by the time I get back.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

hot drat, PS2 and GOKU in 2021 :patriot:

what is dead may never die

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

The biggest trap is new weapons, you're default weapons are some of the best in game and you'll actually want to swap back to them soon enough. Save your certs for suit, tool, and weapon upgrades then once you've gotten all those THEN branch out and try new weapons. Remember the best way to get certs is engy/medic/infil and use your tools, an infil during a busy fight will passively rake in certs like crazy and all you gotta do is shoot as many darts as you can while sitting on an ammo pack by the point.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Winning an alert can give you 200 certs on its own as a non member with no boosts, and ignoring the fact that you can get an implant with merit that'll double it. That's 200 for 1:30 of play + whatever you earn during the alert, which even for medium to bad players can be another 100. 300 certs for a night isn't amazing (and like I said even without spending it can be much higher than that, closer to 700), but considering how much they've flattened the power curve of the must-haves you're going to be fully effective in a single role in a day or two, and you just starting building more versatility as you go.

Where the hell is this merit market menu? All i could find was buying colossus poo poo.

Also remember when your running with more advanced players if you want to pull vehicles they can pull them for you. If you got the front line spawns mission just ask someone to pull you a sundy and you'll get the exp from the bus plus finish the mission while helping everyone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arghy posted:

Where the hell is this merit market menu? All i could find was buying colossus poo poo.

You have to go to the Sanctuary space station, which is where you start out when you log in now. There's three spots with two vendors in each. The right one has the outfit armory on the right and merit vendor on the left (hit the arrows to expand the menu, Deployables is the bottom one).

Middle vendors are to pick up your outfit's expeditions (they turn the green resource into blue and blue into purple for outfit armory stuff), and to sign up for outfit wars. Left vendors are the implant guy and A7 guns.

I think the right one also has the campaign item vendor on the left side, which mostly has unlocks from the campaign but also some cosmetics. Most of the stuff available for the campaign currency (silver icon thing) expires at the end of the campaign except for the cold weather gear helmet which is kind of neat.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ah a physical vendor haha that would explain why i couldn't find anything scrolling through all those drat menus.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I drunkenly re-downloaded this game over the weekend after seeing ads for it again, and played with a random pubbie squad wishing I had had a computer that could run this game when it was big. Then we got murdered by someone with a Goku tag, I’m glad I was murdered by one of you. I’ve never played as vanu before but as long as I don’t have to deal with pubbies in a squad, it should be worth it.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The game experience between organized and pubbie is so goddamn drastic to the point that you should be incentivized heavily to create and run platoons. You should literally be rewarded higby bucks for leading full squads and platoons and accomplishing stuff.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

People underestimate what just having a person putting a platoon waypoint down can do to pubbies. SKL gets a lot of poo poo for being a "zergfit" or whatever but their public platoons are something I've never seen on another faction or server, and I think they have a lot to do with VS' success.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Skyl3lazer posted:

and I think they have a lot to do with VS' success.

:bigwhat:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Emerald VS has been crushing alerts since way before SKL was even a thing, so yeah :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This thread inspired me to log back in and have another go at the game.

I'm still poo poo at it.