Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

During the holidays they've been putting the various anniversary bundles on sale. For the next two days the 5th, 6th, and 7th year anniversary bundles are 40% off and the 8-10th will be on sale in a week or something (they did 1-4th a week back). The 5th and 6th year bundles have implants but not Perfect implants so they're generally lower value. 7th year had perfect implants that unlock for your whole account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Double XP for all during December 22nd-26th. The 8, 9, and 10 year anniversary bundles are 40% off this weekend (making them 1080, 2160, 4320 DBC for the different tiers). The 8th year had Endeavor variants of four NS guns that are all pretty good. The endeavor underboss feels like it handles better than the actual one even though it's just graphics changes. I like the HA armor in the nine year and the treasured version of some of the popular LMGs. The tenth anniversary box isn't great but it does have Fafnir variants of the MBT AP guns which are something to work on if you already Auraxed the AP main cannon. I think I'd only done it on the Vanguard, but the Fafnir one looks pretty cool with chains on it. The LA armor you get from that bundle is hit or miss depending on the faction. I love the NSO one but the others not so much.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
They also posted a dev update, though I wasn't clear on when the Sunderer changes would be going in other than "some time in 2024."

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh yeah that looks positive:
https://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-letter-dec-2023

I do hate how sometimes sunderers get popped nearly instantly in low pop when there aren't enough dudes to defend it as well as attack. I think the only thing that concerns me in their post is the gate shield diffuser temporarily disabling gates, as it could make amp stations more vulnerable. Then again, you can still park a sundy against a gate and people can just get enter the vehicle to get inside, and that hasn't changed in forever, so it probably doesn't matter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They've got triple XP for members this weekend, Dec. 29th- Jan. 1st. The Auraximas event directive ends on Jan 1st as well so it's worth a shot if you want some of the stuff. It's pretty easy to get the Ice Dragon camo and title and banner and frame if you've already got resupply and healing ribbons since they're counting retroactively. The other easy to do ones are tour guide, taking a trip with a passenger, Acts of Kindness which is just resses or sunderer spawn xp, operation snow fort, which is dumping cortium into silos in contention areas, snow-man slaughter which is easy but a little tedious to find the snowmen. Honestly none of the directives are too bad this year, I skipped around and did different ones on different characters, but I mostly skipped the one where you run people over because while that's fun I don't usually set out to do that normally.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My new favorite PS2 youtube channel is chinoYochino who has a really good comedy takes on PS2 stuff channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsDJehCsfG0

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rare sighting!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's a January 2024 guide to running PS2 on linux if your beard is grey enough.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/18xzh1m/planetside_2_on_linux_with_recursion_stat_tracker/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

2024 year of the planetmen. Someone tell CM Mithril because he dated this post wrong.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/january-17-2023-pc-update.262259/

quote:

Game servers will go down for our scheduled pc update tomorrow @ 6am pt / 3pm ct. for a 3hr downtime window.

Capture the Conduit Rework
Capture the Conduit has been reworked. Conduit facilities are now "hybrid" style facilities where repositories are activated by Conduits, at which point they become capture points. Attackers must hold these capture points in order to capture the facility in a similar manner to other facilities. Bringing additional flags to a captured repository provides large amounts of capture progress and will greatly speed up capture times. This should make many aspects of capturing a base more readable, familiar, and reliable while still maintaining the more interesting aspects of needing to capture conduits.
How the new system will work:
Capture the Conduit facilities are captured via the traditional method of holding activated repositories (capture points) until the attacker captures the facility.
Repositories are activated by bringing conduits to them.
An activated repository behaves like a normal capture point until the base is captured, or the point is recaptured and deactivated.
Bringing additional flags to an owned active repository will grant a large amount of facility capture progress, roughly equivalent to owning that point for a minute.
Conduits themselves will behave the same, and be subject to the same rules and restrictions as they were previously.
Based on feedback from the Public Test Server the capture time was dramatically lowered, especially with the capture of additional flags, which now have a significant impact of capture progress. This should make attacking and capturing a facility easier than it was and also draw some attention towards the flag while a capture is still in progress. That being said, the public test was somewhat limited so we will be making further adjustments as the new system is put through its paces by more players at a higher concurrency.
For a full account of why these changes were made and our though process behind them please see the November 2023 Development Update.

Facilities
As part of the playtest, we are reviewed all 22 of the Conduit facilities. Facilities that remained Conduit bases had updates made to their repository, conduit, and spawn point locations. Other minor adjustments were also made where needed.
Several facility types were also reverted to previous facility types, listed below.
Esamir
The Traverse Reverted to 1 Capture Point
Mattherson's Triumph Reverted to 3 Capture Points
Baldur Amp Station Reverted to 3 Capture Points
Spiral Oasis Reverted to Construction Outpost
Indar
J908 Impact Site Reverted to 3 Capture Points
Indar Excavation Site Reverted to 3 Capture Points
Amerish
The Bastion Reverted to 3 Capture Points
Splitpeak Pass Reverted to 3 Capture Points
West Pass Watchtower Reverted to 3 Capture Points
Hossin
Fort Drexler Reverted to 3 Capture Points
Hunter's Blind
Reverted to 1 Capture Point

Known Issues
The UI still isn't complete and is being actively worked on. The UI should still be functional, but not provide all of the desired information to players for different configurations of the state of the facility. We felt that given the need for the update that releasing with the current UI issues would still be a net positive as opposed to waiting until all of the UI work was fully complete.

Lunar New Year
It is the year of the Dragon, for this Lunar New Year the following bundle will be on sale starting February 10th.
Dragon Helmet
Year of the Dragon Outfit Decal
Dragon Profile Banner
Golden Lunar Banner Frame
1 Day XP Boost
Previous Lunar New Year bundles are also returning to the store for a limited time.

Bug Fixes
The the NS-357 "Endeavor" Underboss has had its sights zeroed, removing a vertical misalignment
A hole in the terrain near Snowshear Watchtower has been filled by the Auraxus parks department
A gap in the water surface at Ixtab Water Purification is no longer dividing by zero
Underwater firing sounds for the VE-LR "Obelisk", NS-61 Ravenous, NS-44L Ravenous have been fixed
NSO weapons VFX/ SFX shells should now properly appear when using the silencer
NSO weapons have had their "no ammo" audio indications sounds fixed
The AMR-66, HSR-1, NS-11 series have had their silencer delays fixed
Fixed the issue when the trigger is spammed with the C-4 detonator, every other press plays no audio
Fixed Infinite flight exploit via light assault Icarus Jump fix

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The patch was supposed to fix squad beacon particles not cleaning themselves up but it didn't work so they're still sticking on the map sometimes even when the beacon itself is destroyed (it will look like the beam is just coming out of the ground). The other bug in the patch is that when burst firing your gun does a little twitchy animation thing when you stop firing and it's annoying but every gun seems to be doing it. The conduit base changes seem fine so far, I still don't love it but it's a different mechanic and a lot of bases that used to be CTC are just back to normal.
They did some map updates but sometimes streams or rivers show up as a weird grid of squares on the map. So, there are a few bugs but nothing show stopping.

I've been playing Rexxed again a bit, and I finally got off my rear end and finished the last 200 kills with the NS-11C to get the Eclipse aurax carbine. It's pretty good! It has a heat mechanic like a lot of VS weapons but it also gets Unstable ammo or Soft point as its ammunition types so it's a solid gun for playing as LA. Like all the carbines it also has an impulse UBGL (if you don't equip any of the other rail items) which is good for distance drifting or doing some long distance impulse skiing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I like the conduit changes. In the old system, I could never figure out where to take the flag. It was super confusing for casuals.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The new one's a little weird, too. You take the flag to the conduit, like the old one, but that just lets you turn it into a capture point to start the four minute timer. Further flag caps reduce the timer by 45 or 50 seconds or something, so it can turn over the bases quickly, but I see a lot of people walking away from the conduit because its capture time is sloooooow. I do think I like it better than constant flag runs, though.

Anyway, hotfix tomorrow. Some issues should've been higher priority imo, but at least they're acknowledging things and working on them:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/jan-25-pc-hotfix-2024

quote:

JAN. 25, 2024 - PC HOTFIX
1/24/24 6:01 PM

Game servers will go down for our scheduled pc update tomorrow @ 6am pt / 3pm ct. for a 3hr downtime window.

Bug Fixes
Repositories and Conduits should now correctly show faction colors
Arbalest sound fix where the gun sounds empty towards the end of firing the remainder of a magazine
Repair tool no longer gets stuck in repair mode without spending charge
AMR-66, HSR-1, Pulsar C, Serpent VE92 suppressor delay audio fix
Fixed an area that prevents Sunderer deployment on Shrouded Skyway
Other Notes
The following bugs require further time to fix, please check future patch notes for further updates.

Spawn beacon fx bug
Outfit chat bug
Single shot camera shake / recoil bug introduced in previous patch

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Rexxed posted:

The new one's a little weird, too. You take the flag to the conduit, like the old one, but that just lets you turn it into a capture point to start the four minute timer. Further flag caps reduce the timer by 45 or 50 seconds or something, so it can turn over the bases quickly, but I see a lot of people walking away from the conduit because its capture time is sloooooow. I do think I like it better than constant flag runs, though.

Anyway, hotfix tomorrow. Some issues should've been higher priority imo, but at least they're acknowledging things and working on them:
https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/jan-25-pc-hotfix-2024

What kinda shake are we talking in the "Single shot camera shake / recoil bug introduced in previous patch" patch line still to be fixed? I'm a big LMG user and SMG user so I haven't really noticed this one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When you let up on the trigger and hit it again (burst firing, but like manually, not with a burst gun) the gun will do a weird partial animation thing. I'm not sure if it throws off your aim, but it makes the screen shake a little like a flinch and is distracting. It's very quick but when you're trying to get that aim down on someone's head and your screen is doing a thing it can be very annoying. Most guns will do it but if you're a LA and use the rocklet launcher it will be pretty noticeable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Today's hotfix broke some stuff on Cobalt and Miller so they took them down for emergency maintenance but I haven't logged in to see how Emerald is yet. Hopefully it's fine. The dev team published a dev letter that talks about some of the commentary about the upcoming sunderer rework. Mostly it addresses the commentary that people didn't want to lose the rep bus ability for a repair cargo deployable since that's less flexible than a rep bus. I think their counterpoints are good, which is that it will make the sunderer driver have to choose more carefully about where they drop a rep cargo but also sunderers will be much harder to kill so the vehicle itself will survive better without being in a group of rep busses, I guess.

They also talk about having a dev dedicated to working on their anti-cheat so let's hope that that improves, even if they can't give details.

https://www.planetside2.com/news/dev-letter-jan-2024

quote:

January 2024
Sunderer

Hello Auraxians! Welcome back to our monthly developer letter for PlanetSide 2. This month we have been monitoring the feedback of the last development letter and are happy to see that the proposed sunderer changes were generally well received. Also, unsurprisingly, the most controversial change by far was the way the sunderer repair works. For that reason, we felt it was worth diving a little more into here.

It is easy to understand and sympathize with everyone that does not want the Nanite Proximity Repair System to change. This is how it has always worked and by now one of the only two meaningful roles it has left. When focusing on the latter fact however, it becomes clear why this is a necessary change. The Sunderer has been pigeonholed into only 2 narrow basic roles which could only be capably performed exclusively. That is, to be a competent AMS, the Sunderer requires the deployment shield and that comes at the cost of supporting armor. This means that once someone has elected to take the Nanite Proximity Repair System, they have removed any further meaningful decision making from their play until they fully transition to infantry or reach a vehicle terminal. There is no ability to seamlessly transition into properly supporting the infantry assault that the armor push should have enabled, and all the interesting gameplay decisions that revolve around it.

The important thing to remember is that, even with the cargo module, the Sunderer is still fully capable of supporting mobile armor pushes. The ability to place repair stations quickly on a cooldown is meant to do this, but now a little more consideration is required since there is some level of commitment when the button is pushed. This is a good thing, especially since it allows the Sunderer to have a much wider impact as the Sunderer is not tied to the location where it needs to provide healing, making it much more mobile (and increasing survivability).

It is also important to note that the vehicle is also getting a large set of defensive upgrades that will make it much, much more difficult to destroy. By necessity this requires a separation of the source of healing from the Sunderer. If the healing is strong, then the source of that healing needs to be vulnerable for counterplay. However, if it is very resilient, then the healing cannot be overbearing for the opposing force. Offloading the healing effect to a separate object with its own set of health and defensive stats allows us to tweak these aspects independently. It is like adding an independently targetable "module" to the sunderer so that opponents can degrade its performance without outright killing it, something that is currently lacking in the game.

This hints at a longstanding issue with vehicles in general suffering from "Single Entity Problem" where vehicle capability does not degrade until it is destroyed completely, making them very binary. Presently vehicles are all in, which is where many of the balance issues stem from. But that is a deeper and more complicated issue to be tackled at a point in the future.

Cheating

We are very aware of how much of an issue cheating has become. At the beginning of the year, we specifically dedicated developers to look closely at the issue and work on solutions. There is no one place or technique that hackers use, so we must tackle different problems independently and roll out solutions when we think the time is right.

Unlike other features and changes, we will not be detailing exactly when and how cheating will be addressed. We hope everyone understands why that is not possible. It is unfortunately a Red Queen's race that is never finished and must be constantly worked on quietly so as not to reveal workarounds ahead of time. We can already see that our efforts should bear fruit over time, and we hope that you will notice much less cheating and at greater distant intervals.

On Reverting

Before we end this January development letter, we would like to break down the concept of "reverting changes” and what it means. You may see it mentioned frequently and many times understand why, but it is important to understand exactly what "reverting" something means. Games are large, complex software projects with many elements that are interdependent and are constantly updated. Unless a change is only a patch or two old, it is impossible to "revert" a change in the traditional sense of just finding a single submission and clicking revert.

"Reverting" changes, especially old ones, means reconstructing them from spotty information that is difficult to discover. This is a very time-consuming process that is as, or even more, costly than simply moving forward from where the game is currently. That is not to say the past should be ignored completely. A better way to use past versions of the game is to take more abstract lessons about meaningful gameplay that was lost which positively impacted PlanetSide 2 and reincorporating them in ways that are applicable to its current and future state.

That wraps it up for today’s letter, as always, we thank you for your feedback. You can let us know what your thoughts are about today’s letter on our forums.

-PlanetSide 2 Team

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Today there's a Lunar New Year sale with the bundles they've released for those before as well as a new one for $10 (899 DBC with membership) with a Lunar Dragon banner, decal, banner frame, 1 day xp boost, and helmet. The helmet is a little silly but fun.

There's also a feedback survey in the launcher. When I did mine it was basically a 1-10 "would you recommend the game to friends" and then an open ended question about why or why not. Folks are using it to complain about stuff which is fair, I guess.

Emerald is still good on population since more outfits moved from Connery. After outfit wars, recursion and gobs and some other outfits stopped exclusively playing NC and as a result there's been a lot more variation from night to night in who is the most dangerous faction.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Patch tomorrow for a rebalance on construction base pulled vehicles (half nanite cost, seems fair), and a valentine's event:

quote:

FEB. 14, 2024 - VALENTINE'S DAY UPDATE (PC UPDATE)
2/12/24 5:50 PM

Hello Auraxians! We're kicking off this month's update with some Valentine's Day festivities along with some bug fixes and changes. Check it out below!

Construction Terminal & Key bind changes
Added a nanite cost (half the static terminal cost) to vehicles spawned from construction terminals. This should throttle the length at which vehicles can be pulled from construction bases at speed by individual players. The Cortium cost remains the same, increasing the overall cost of spawning vehicles from construction terminals.

There have been changes to the key binds for vehicle utility abilities in preparation for the sunderer rework. This should not affect the current function ("F" still triggers single abilities), but additional slots have been added and can be triggered using the number keys 3-5 by default.

Valentine's Day Event
Valentine's Day is here! Share the love by completing this year's missions starting Wednesday, February 14th until Wednesday February 28th.

Also available is the new Love Bomber Bundle containing:

Helmet
Camo
Decal
1-month Boost
In addition, because we want to share the good times there is also...

Double XP For All Weekend
Double XP For All Weekend from Friday, February 16th to Sunday, February 18th.
The return of previous years Valentine's Day Bundles

Presidents Day Sale
Enjoy 40% off vehicle camos from February 18th to February 21st!

Bug Fixes
Synthium should now properly be collected by outfits that own relevant facilities
The Rocket Rifle now plays the magazine empty sound (click) when fired without any ammunition
The NS11 (all versions) and Cycler TRV will no longer double the audio effect when fired in semi-auto mode from the 1st person view
Added shell audio to the the NS Baron G5, NS 45 Pilot , Deimos VA29, and Phobos VX86 to match corresponding VFX
Low Ammo audio indicator for the following NSO weapons has been fixed: CB-100, SG-100, CB-200, CB-X75, PMG-100, PMG-200, PMG-3XB, SG-A25, AR-100, AR-101, AR-N203, BAR-A50, SR-100, SR-150, SR-L75, XMG-100, XMG-155, XMG-200
1st person reload animation sounds for many NC and TR heavy weapons have fixed or adjusted
Added instructional text to inactive repositories instructing players to bring flags to them to enable capture
NS Baron G5AE loadout screen icon resolution fixed
3rd Person generator repair tool VFX have been fixed

They included the event directive stuff as a table on the website and I couldn't figure out how to paste it into a bbcode code block so I just took a screenshot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Also in "what the hell is going on" news, the Planetside IP was bought by a shell company called Bay Tree Tower from E7 (or DBG) for 5.9 million dollars. No idea what that means for the future of the game.

DBG had layoffs from the DCUO team. May be unrelated, who knows.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2024/02/13/dc-universe-online-developer-and-publisher-suffer-layoffs

This reddit post has some info and further down in the thread there's a link to what was sold:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1aqdun9/shell_company_bay_tree_tower_limited_is_buyer_of/

quote:

Titles include:

001 PlanetSide. Reg. PA0001275453.

002 PlanetSide core combat. Reg. PA0001275452.

003 PlanetSide 2. Reg. TX0007605260.

004 PlanetSide : Aftershock. Reg. PA0001365480.

005 PlanetSide Arena. Reg. TXu002161894.

006 PlanetSide Arena. Reg. PAu004018893.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Bay Tree Tower...

What has Smedley been up to these last few years?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

One theory about the sale was that they were rolling planetside into being entirely under Rogue Planet Games but I don't know why there'd be a shell company involved. Also, it's still using their Daybreak Cash payment system so there's a lot of unknowns. I kind of hope whoever bought it plans to keep the game running while using the IP for a Planetside 3 but it's impossible to say.

Today's patch is resetting people's keybinds, but the originals get backed up. It's part of the vehicle keybind changes in preparation for the sunderer patch that's coming soon. That patch will add deployables to sunderers as cargo, so they needed a separate keybind for drivers I guess to be able to select things in addition to hitting F or whatever to use them. In today's patch they changed the InputProfile_User.xml file and added InputProfile_User0000.xml (same folder as your UserOptions.ini) to use a new version (5 instead of 3) and left the old keybinds into an InputProfile_User.xml file. If you launch before backing up you'll have to close the client and copy your old settings into the new file, change 3 to 5 and edit one specific section. I read the details in this reddit post and I'll quote it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1aqv26q/if_you_lost_your_keybinds_after_the_recent_patch/

quote:

In case anyone lost their keybinds after the new updates: your keybinds weren't lost. In the same folder as UserOptions.ini, there's two other files, InputProfile_User.xml and InputProfile_User0000.xml. The one without the 0s contains your old keybinds. The file with to 0s might not exist if you haven't started the game yet. To keep using these keybinds, do the following:

Copy InputProfile_User.xml and paste it somewhere save (this is a backup, all changes will be made to the original file)

Open the original InputProfile_User.xml and in the line <Profile name="User" version="3">, set the version equal to "5"

Save the changes

Delete InputProfile_User0000.xml if you haven't already

edit: the instructions above have been simplified. If you just change the version number for your original input config and launch with it, the client will then add the appropriate new binds for vehicles, no need to do so manually. Also your old keybinds are in the original file, the new ones were in the 0000 file, it should be obvious due to the 3 or 5 at the top (old keybinds 3, new ones 5). You can overwrite the 5 file with the contents of the 3 file and it will fix itself as long as the 5 is in there.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 15, 2024

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I was more surprised to hear that DCUO was still actually up and running.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Here's the info on the current event. It's basically the same as last year's Valentine's day as far as I can remember, but with new rewards. I forgot to grab a screenshot of the first tier directives and there's some kind of connection issue that's keeping me from loading a character in on Connery where I haven't been able to play for two days, so I can't grab one right now, but it only takes 2 completions and they're all cumulative.

I had completed it here but the final tier of "And I'd Walk 500 More" is 2000m.

I didn't get the tooltip for the sixth one but it's just to complete the below missions:

There's 6 missions available on sanctuary and you get two every 12 hours but can only complete each one once. You also only need to do 5 to get the event directive complete so if you want to skip one you can, but it will continue to be offered after the others are done.
Here's the six missions:
Facilitator Campner (top floor of Sanc) wants you to go to a specific location on any continent that's open. You can just fly there and eject onto it, nothing special.
Representative Nalla (main deck of Sanc) wants you to drive a ground vehicle 10,000m. There's a bug where the Chimera doesn't count.
Representative Ayla (bottom floor of Sanc) wants you to mine 10,000 Cortium. Real easy at a warpgate, all ANTs hold 10k now.

Praetor Umatherin (VS embassy) wants you to heal or res 60 times. Not bad during prime time but awful on off-hours since healing doesn't always give an XP tick.
Field Officer Knightly (TR embassy) wants you to kill 6 people as a vehicle gunner. You can kill base turrets or even things like mines on the road which seem to count. You have to be a gunner so it has to be a multi person vehicle. Assists seem to count.
Warden Hadley (NC embassy) wants you to repair or resupply 60 times.

It's pretty easy to finish up, the 60 heals/revives was the worst part so far.

There's also a new valentine's bundle in the shop but it's all cosmetics, no weapons, so the price seems pretty high to not include a gun. The helmet isn't bad, but I'm not sure it's a $30+ item, that one month heroic boost seems to be doing a lot of work for that price:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They're doing a President's Day sale, 40% off Vehicle Gear (cosmetics). It just started and will go for four days (through Wednesday).

I also figured out my network issues, it wasn't DBG, it was a bad cable.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They're doing a hotfix today:
https://twitter.com/planetside2/status/1760474998891016232

Seems to mostly be bugs with the valentine's event stuff. I reported the Chimera one, so it's cool that they're fixing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1axcekz/feb_22_2024_pc_hotfix_bug_report_megathread/

quote:

Bug Fixes

Fixed a localization error in vehicle and aircraft key bindings.

Fixed the icon resolution for the Love Bomber Bundle.

Fixed the Positive Defacement Banner preview resolution.

Fixed a tiling and stretching issue with the Positive Defacement Camo.

The NSO Chimera now updates the "Matchmaker: Exploration" mission. This will affect any future missions, directives and objectives that make use of ground vehicles.

Fixed an issue with the Deluxe Implant Pack in the Tier 4 Directive Reward which only gave 3 implants instead of 9. We are looking into compensating players who have been affected by this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The hotfix also lowered the Love Bomber Bundle (one decal, one camo, one helmet, one month heroic boost) from $35 to $13.99 which is a lot more reasonable but still kind of sucks since there's no guns.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They're doing a patch tomorrow. Mostly St. Patrick's day stuff and some bug fixes but the patch notes talk about the upcoming Sunderer changes and also reducing the amount that Oshur shows up in continent rotation since revamping it would be too much dev time right now.

https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/mar-7-patch-notes-2024

quote:

MARCH 7, 2024 - PC UPDATE

This month's patch is loaded with bug fixes, especially to animations and audio. We are also bringing back previous St. Patrick's Day Bundles from March 17th until March 26th

St. Patrick's Day Bundles Return
The returning items arrive (March 17th - March 26th):

2023 Saint Patrick's Day Bundle
2022 Saint Patrick's Day Bundle
Gold Lover's Bundle
Green Fortune Bundle
Jackpot Bundle
Leprechaun's Bundle
Wyrdwood Bundle
Classic Clover Decal
Leprechaun Decal
Pot O Auraxium Decal
Shamrock Decal
Clover Camo
Weapon Camo: Green-gold Flecked
Jackpot Hood Ornament
ANT / Sunderer Clover Trails
and more!

Double Experience for All Event
Enjoy a Double Experience For All Weekend from March 15th until March 18th
In Progress Updates
Normally we would save these types of announcements for the monthly Dev Letter, but since the patch is a little light this week, we've decided to include some more insight into the progress of various updates and fixes in this weeks patch notes.

Sunderer
The Sunderer rework is coming along nicely. We are looking into having it arrive onto the Public Test Server to work out the kinks and adjust some balancing. For the moment we'd like to share some what we have completed.

Here is the look at the reactive armor. The armor is designed to clearly visually indicate, through shape and color, when a piece of reactive armor is active and when it is not.

Some certifications that are not getting a major gameplay overhaul are still receiving visual updates. Below are the new Stealth Module and Enhanced Plating, artwork which replaces Blockade Armor and Mine Guard.

Friends List
The friend's list issue is one area we are focusing on fixing. The tracking server architecture that handles friends lists was breaking down and had to be be almost completely rewritten. Some of the things the rewrite will achieve are:

Improved database transaction efficiency; i.e. ensuring that everything is immediately saved to database on changes. Previously this happened only a few minutes after the fact and could be lost in cases of reboot/crash/power outage on the server.
Added automatic consistency fixes; e.g. fixing situations when X is marked as a friend of Y but Y is not marked as friend of X.
More reliable friends invitation processing; e.g. removing cases when someone sends an invite to be friends and invitee doesn't receive it.
These are just a few of the things we are doing with the rewrite, which should eliminate the vast majority of the bugs the system currently suffers. This is a major overhaul, thus it will be released to the Public Test Server first before being deployed on live. We don't have a firm date on when this will happen but the changes are actively being worked on.

Oshur
There has been much well earned consternation over Oshur. The issues it causes among the game and community are undeniable, but the potential solution for each issue has pros and cons we have to consider carefully.

Generally speaking, our first thoughts are towards building and improving the game. To that end we conducted a systematic review of the continent, which included collating the vast amount of community feedback from many sources. The list of issues was sorted, examined, and we had many discussions around how to solve them. In the end we concluded that although there was promise in the concept, the issues were extremely core to all aspects of Oshur's design from individual bases to the general layout of the continent and lattice. Small changes would do little to solve the issue, and an entire rework was needed.

Unfortunately, we also decided that an entire rework would be a monumental effort the likes of which would detract from other smaller and more pressing issues. Following our philosophy of taking on the most impactful projects first, we saw that Oshur did not make the cut when it came to the effort / impact calculation.

The next logical and simple step would be to simply remove Oshur from the rotation. This presents its own issues though. Oshur has attached to it a large amount of unique content that players have spend their hard earned currency on, as well as unique and interesting directives, missions, and so on. Simply removing it would also create a clump of additional work where we would have to spend a good amount of effort making recompense to players as well as making changes that were deemed "fair" to new and returning players. This is a non-trivial task that would also eat up a surprising amount of resources that are also better spent on more impactful changes.

To that end we decided to take a middle approach. Oshur will be put on an infrequent rotation schedule and a special alert will be created that will more tightly control how long the continent remains active when it does come up. The ability to do this does not currently exist in the rotation scheduling system, and thus we have to design and add it before this change can be made. This is actively being worked on. We will build into the new system the ability to adjust the frequency and up-times of Oshur quickly via data so that adjustments to these parameters can be made relatively quickly and easily. We feel this is a fair compromise to players that never want to deal with Oshur again and those that may want to finish their Dog Tag collection, or take an occasional boat joy ride.

As a bonus side affect we will be adjusting general Warzone rotation such that the same ones don't always follow the same pattern and there will be slight changes in the rotation over time.

Bug Fixes
The beacons are not lit; beam visual effect should now de-spawn properly after the beacon's destruction
Outfit Wars decals now have the proper file format and should no longer crash the client
Players can no longer spawn in destroyed aircraft, preventing them from acquiring vertigo and the ability to shoot through walls
Reworked the suppressor attachment audio on the following weapons; NS30 Vandal, Warden, Carnage AR, GR-22, NC9 A-Tross, NS-11, Reaper DMR, EM1, EM6, NC6S Gauss SAW S
The NSX: Yumi's bolt can now be worked. Fixed a visual bug with the reload animation
Fixed weapon reload sounds for many weapons, including; AF57 Piston, NS AM7 Archer, EM1, EM6, NC05 Jackhammer, T16 Rhino, T32 Bull, T7 Minichain, T9 CARV, T9 CARV-S, TMG50, VE-C Horizon, VE LR Obelisk, VE-A Lacerta
Obelisk and other VS weapon's hand IK will properly un-attach during 3rd person reload animation sequences
Ammunition Belt certification selection tooltip now includes information about the reload speed increase
Gate Shield Diffuser certification selection tooltip now contains information about its interaction with water on Oshur
Fixed MAX jumping and landing audio
Fixed localization error in vehicle and aircraft key-bindings
The Natural Camouflage cosmetic for the Chimera should no longer be visible in the first person view

Known Issues
NS-11A's audio with the suppressor is incorrect

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The patch introduced a couple of bugs. There's some invisible vehicles, vehicles with weird behavior (the turret won't appear to turn but they will be shooting you) and some issues with turrets, both base and vehicle. I took a ride in a bastion turret last night and it made me kind of queasy since you had to look upside down to do anything. Trying to look "up" or "down" beyond the top and bottom of its rotation would just spin you around. You could also shoot through the invisible bastion body (although the hardpoints would block shots).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erpHf1RdBtg

I'm not sure what they changed to cause this, the extra turret rotation is an advantage but the view and being able to shoot anything is bad. Also, invisible vehicles is pretty uncool. They say there's a hotfix coming but who knows when, I'd imagine next week at this point since there's been no announcement about one today.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

New owners (probably?) transferred the DNS off DBG hosting last night and it's affecting the website and logins. Workaround for now is to edit your hosts file to include:
64.37.174.148 lvspsn-liv-l01.planetside2.com
and then do a
ipconfig /flushdns
in a command prompt.

I assume the dns changes will propagate over the weekend but in the meantime the population is a little low since a lot of folks just open the launcher and try to play and then get a G99 (which leads to an expired domain or one complaining about the security cert being invalid).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

DNS should propogate within 60 minutes unless they're doing something very odd.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

DNS should propogate within 60 minutes unless they're doing something very odd.

Some folks are getting redirected to a namecheap site saying they're waiting on icann verification or something. Someone probably hosed up and then hosed off for the weekend. Much like the issues with Thursday's patch which are going to be looked into next week, so we get weird broken turrets this weekend.

I had a weird one last night which seems to be indicative of the patch bugs (many people have these weird issues pulling from the warpgate). I pulled a harasser at the warpgate from the map screen. I appeared at the warpgate by the terminal, my harasser was invisible and sitting on the vehicle pad. I ran out to it and hit E to get in. I was then still apparently infantry but could move at the speed of a harasser. I was just trying to do Message Courier so I decided to try again to get a real harasser and since there was no "getting out" of myself, I redeployed and walked to the vterm to get another harasser, but that was a weird one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Supposedly the invisible vehicles and bugged turrets were hotfixed today:
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/march-12-2024-pc-hotfix.262515/#post-3598599

quote:

We released a client side hotfix this morning to address some issues from our patch last week.
Fixed an unwrapped text issue with the UI that would occur when attempting to capture bases or being in an area that isn't connected to a region your faction controls.
Flashlight not emitting light when the graphics settings are set to Medium is now fixed.
Fixed an issue where the seats of the Bastion would seat players upside down and are unable to properly fly it.
Vehicle turret aiming has been fixed.
Spawning into an ESF that caused fast walk speeds has been fixed.
Invisible vehicles and spitfire turrets have been fixed.

We'll see what's fixed when I log in, I guess.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

So yeah that does seem to have fixed the weird vehicle and turret bugs. There's no really broken bugs at the moment, just stuff that's been around forever like pulling vehicles from the map screen being hit or miss depending on whether terminals got hacked before a base flip.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Server pop has been a little lower the last couple of weeks. I think everyone's trying Helldivers 2 but who knows! There's always prime time alerts and queues on Emerald, though.

https://wt.honu.pw/ is a good site to track alerts and open continents as well as players online. https://ps2alerts.com/ still works too but I find the honu one to be a little more reliable.

Update tomorrow, but no pictures of the cosmetic items yet, just this little graphic from the update article (which shows maybe a groucho marx cosmetic for NSO):

https://www.planetside2.com/patch-notes/mar-28-patch-notes-2024

quote:

MARCH 28, 2024 - PC UPDATE

April Fools!

The Puzzler Bundle

New for sale this year is the Puzzler Bundle. This Bundle includes:

4x Puzzler Hairmet, one in each faction color
The Puzzler Decal
The Puzzler Banner & Banner Frame
Liberator Puzzler Cockpit Glass
The Puzzler Hood Ornament
Vehicle Clown Horns! Honk, honk!

April Fools Cosmetics (April 1st - April 10th)
Aprils Fools Cosmetics & Bundles are returning from April 1st until April 10th

April Fools Sale (April 1st - April 7th)
40% off Infantry Weapons

NS-44 "Primed Amethyst" Commissioner makes it's Depot Debut!
Originally part of the 11th Anniversary Bundle (and still is)
This Commissioner sidearm has entered the Depot as an individual cosmetic to purchase!

NS-44 "Primed Ruby" Commissioner
The Red Crystal Commissioner is available for purchase in the store
This is a variant of the NS-44 "Primed Amethyst" Commissioner with a red crystal theme

Class Banners, Frames and Decals
You might have noticed that we are making some nice class cosmetics that can be purchased with Certs in the Depot! Each month we aim to release a Banner, Frame and Decal for a class!

So far we have:

Infiltrator
For the sneaky price of 10 Certs each you can get:

Infiltrator Class Banner
Infiltrator Class Banner Frame
Infiltrator Class Decal

Light Assault
Available for 10 Certs each in the depot are:

Light Assault Class Banner
Light Assault Class Banner Frame
Light Assault Class Decal

DOUBLE EXPERIENCE FOR ALL APRIL 1ST- 4TH
Enjoy double xp from April 1st - 4th.

Bug Fixes
Audio for the NS-11A equipped with a suppressor has been fixed
An incorrect "Restricted Area" location on Amerish has been removed
Several boxes that fell through the floor on Esamir have been re-solidified and relocated
The directives screen will again clearly show when something has not been unlocked
MGR-C1 Charger overcharged muzzle flash VFX should now play properly
The Target Focus implant should now correctly work when the Hud Indicator size is set to large
Fixed terminal interaction in command centers
Characters should once again appear at their proper size during character creation
Archer reload audio should now player properly in first person
Slight optic adjustments for the NS-44: "Primed Amethyst" Commissioner

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The patch has one little bug where the new puzzler bundle is listed in the store at 10 certs or 1 DBC but just errors when you try to buy it (since it doesn't unlock for 3 1/2 days). It does let you get a look at the items included as previews, though, since they didn't include much information. The Puzzler bundle is essentially a riddler knockoff which is Clown Horns for all vehicles, Puzzler Hairmet, Puzzler Hood Ornament, Puzzler Glass, Puzzler Camo, Puzzler Banner Frame, Puzzler Banner, Puzzler Decal.

I just took some screenshots from the preview windows, not all of which work (the banner one espeically) so it's a little jank. No real price on this bundle yet either, I'm expecting around $40.

The Primed Ruby commissioner looks cool, too, similar to the Primed Amethyst from the 10 year anniversary bundle which is on the store on its own now as well. I kind of wonder if they didn't have one made up for each faction color gemstone and decide to make them different items for sale instead. One nice thing about these new pistols is that they added them to the normal Weapon directive for Sidearms, unlike most cosmetic items. They're also in Specialty under Exceptional VIII which now has 9 weapons in it but still lists its aurax reward as Coming Soon.

I should mention that they've been adding class banners, banner frames, and infantry decals for 10 certs or 1 DBC each, which is almost free. So far there's Infiltrator and Light Assault ones which look alright. They also had a set of 10 cert decal and banner for the 2023 outfit wars season with a "I was there" theme that is outfit wars sitting at a table in a room on fire, similar to the K C Green "this is fine" comic. If you haven't logged in for a while there's a few things to grab in the depot for certs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Apparently the puzzler bundle will be 10 certs or 1 DBC when it's available in 3 days (CM Mithril mentioned it on the reddit bug reporting thread for the patch) so it's intended to cost that much but just not available yet. Pretty good, really, must be an effort to get folks to log in.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The April Fool's stuff is live including double XP for all through the 4th.

Here's the VS version of the puzzler camo:

The Puzzler Bundle it comes from is 1 DBC or 10 certs and only available for 10 days! If you haven't played in a while you may want to hop in just to pick it up this week. It's all cosmetics but there's a lot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's about three days left to pick up the cheap Puzzler Bundle (1 DBC or 10 certs)!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
thanks for the heads up on the puzzler bundle Rexxed!

being playing again from time to time. seems like things are pretty lowpop outside of primetime (just judging by the unstable warpgates).

Is Koltyr still in the rotation ? I'd love to play on that continent sometime but surprised I've never seen it in rotation (I usually play around like 10AM or 11PM US Central time) . I got the impression it's only for early morning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cmdrk posted:

thanks for the heads up on the puzzler bundle Rexxed!

being playing again from time to time. seems like things are pretty lowpop outside of primetime (just judging by the unstable warpgates).

Is Koltyr still in the rotation ? I'd love to play on that continent sometime but surprised I've never seen it in rotation (I usually play around like 10AM or 11PM US Central time) . I got the impression it's only for early morning though.

They only had Koltyr active for a few months in 2021 (I think?). Some servers were low pop enough to be stuck on Koltyr for long periods of time and folks got mad so they took it out entirely. They've talked about reworking it so it comes back in but for now it seems like it's just going to be normal continents where at very low pop there's just three lanes to the central base, medium-low pop the outside ring is also open, and if there's a low pop 45 minute alert (they happen after a continent is open 4-5 hours) it will do three lanes to the middle but there's a widening part way there and multiple middle bases open.

The main change in rotation is going to be that they're going to change it from a strict rotation to a weighted system where the four popular continents are opened a similar amount of time and Oshur is on a lower priority to open because folks don't want to see it very much. That's slated for the next content patch which also includes some sunderer reworks to make them a little tankier when deployed but less powerful as a rep sundy armor column. The repair module will be a thing you deploy instead of an always on AOE.