Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose fault is it?
Smedly
Higby
Wrel
View Results

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
does this game still have russian mob connections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Just tried this for a few hours, captured like 10 bases and got... 50 certs. With most weapons still costing 1000 certs to unlock seems like I would still have to make this game my life to unlock everything, even with a membership. That unlocks are still character specific and not account wide is extra baffling.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I played for a year or so back when SOE was still in control, so the way it is now seems more or less the same. I unlocked maybe 30% of the certs back then. Now, though, there's so much more stuff to unlock it would be literal years before I could catch up.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is there a reliable way to get A7? I've never seen it as a mission reward and also never seen any of those consoles that you're supposed to be able to download it from.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Looks like missions give out weapons as rewards: https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Missions

Seems like a good idea to hold off on buying those weapons until you can get them from a mission and save thousands of cert points.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rexxed posted:

Since I'm in my 40s I like to use infravision sometimes, especially on Hossin where there's so much stuff around to obscure vision. It's an exceptional implant so it's a pain in the rear end to get. It's either in the 5 year anniversary commander's bundle which is $80, randomly gotten through buying implant packs and/or using the recycler, or the implant vendor on Sanctuary will let you buy exceptional implants for 45k ISO-4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i84smtPbGmg

edit: couple of other downsides to infravision. Flash grenades white out your screen for a long time, people shooting flares fucks with your vision a bit, and people with Sidewinder 5 implants don't illuminate so they're hard to see.

Ever run into someone using the Sidewinder implant at level 5 who are apparently hidden from infravision? If so, does that throw you off much?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Been having a lot of fun with this actually, nice to play a shooter again where you don't have to take is real seriously if you don't want to, or just to play a support role.

The missions are a pretty nice addition, I've been stacking them so I can get one from the previous day that has the same goals as another for the next day, and playing alerts for maximum implant materials.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
What is that handheld mining laser I see people shooting at the purple crystals near the big mining laser for the NSX missions?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
In another note the Catlike implant at level 5 lets you straight up jump over a lot of vehicles, like lightning tanks and I think harassers too. I dueled a guy in a lightning as a heavy and nearly won because he just could not run me down.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Has anyone ever gotten an exceptional implant from the packs you get with certs, or do you usually use the ISO-4 recycler one that costs actual implant materials to get them?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Doing the math it seems like there is a less than 1% chance of getting the exceptional you actually want even out of the ISO-4 Recycler one, and whatever less than 1%/12 is for the deluxe one that takes certs, assuming that the percentage chance of getting each of the exceptionals themselves is the same.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 26, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So the NC just used two back to back orbital strikes to destroy my sunderer. Do hardlight canopies or anything protect from that poo poo?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I also saw a "Soldiers in Christ" outfit on the NC side :v:

-Murdering pixels FOR JESUS!!!!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

honda whisperer posted:

The ninja guys are infiltrators. If your graphics are set right they'll do the predator shimmer. Iirc you have to do some hardcore super potato mode to not be able to see them.

I thought having your overall graphics setting to "Low" actually helped you see them better, at least according to this video, or is that no longer the case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvyjTSa8Y2U

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Are there any weapons that don't have really obvious tracer rounds that reveal your position, even with a suppressor equipped? I think all the NS guns have yellow tracers which at least don't reveal your faction, and maybe the Hunter QCX crossbow is less obvious? Hard to say without knowing an enemy is firing one from a distance, though.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yea I did some testing myself, and even the Hunter QCX crossbox has a tracer, though it's white. Some regular guns don't have the straight line tracer and instead just show projectiles for some reason, even though they're functionally the same as other hitscan weapons, and are a little less obvious.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also after logging in for every alert I possibly could, doing the 3 missions I get a day and converting certs to ISO-4 using the deluxe pack, I'm now near 30000 ISO-4. Supposedly this is the point when you have a pretty good chance at getting the exceptional implant you want by just using the ISO-4 recycler, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it as this has been an insane grind I'm not willing to do again.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

just spend the first 10,000 to see if you roll it

Not a bad plan, since the opportunity cost of going for it without rolling a few times is pretty high. If I did get it I could spend the extra on upgrading stuff.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Can't wait to do counter-sniping as an HA with a scout rifle :)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The original Vanu guns all looked exactly the same until people complained, and they added very slight alterations to them. That was in the SOE days. The Lasher still looks like a regular gun, but 'thingies' pop out when you shoot!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm now at 45000 ISO-4, which is enough to outright make any exceptional implant, though I'm going to try the recycler for a week or so before I do that just in case I get it from the random draw. I also got 5 exceptional from the process of purchasing Deluxe packs (meaning I'm missing 7 of them still), though I'm still missing 9 of the Rare or Class Specific implants. Looks like this took about 2 months or grinding from a rank 1 character to get this far, and I'm rank 74 now for reference. I didn't play every alert, but logged in to as many as possible just for the cert and ISO-4 bonuses. I have all the classes kitted out at this point and the abilities I want maxed, but am still missing a lot of vehicle abilities and equipment.

Oh yeah, I used about 9000 or so ISO to upgrade a few of the implants I did get in the process of this too.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 5, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Just so people know https://ps2alerts.com/ is missing a lot of alerts, especially for Emerald.

https://ps2alerts.com/ appears to work just fine though, but you have to refresh it yourself.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Putting tank mines right in front of vehicle pads is the greatest/most assholish thing, they literally cant see it coming if they do the whole "spawn at this base inside this vehicle" option from the map screen. :q:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I didn't know about it either despite having played this near release. :) That or I forgot about it! There are a few bases that are so close together you can just run over to the enemy vehicle pad in seconds from your spawn building and drop a few mines where the vehicles come right out of. Something to consider I guess if you're going to do a blind vehicle spawn.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I usually combine proximity mines with a tank mine, or tank mines with a couple C4 and I think this guarantees a kill on anything. If you have 3 proximity mines/claymores unlocked on engineer with Mine Carrier, you can place those three, but if you try to place more it will remove the oldest one. If one explodes (so you only have two mines left) and you try to replace it with Infiltrator who can only ever carry 2 mines, it will remove the oldest one still so there's still only 2 mines out.

Also C4 disappears the moment you die or redeploy, so you have to stay alive in order to have this combo work, but this doesn't apply to tank mines or prox mines.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I haven't been able to play Oshur much because it locks out as quickly as all the other continents. It seemed like a nightmare VS air units though and the underwater travel was slow as all hell and you can't fire any of your existing weapons, including the crossbow for some reason.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
i was even trying to buy membership from them and their billing system was hosed, great job there guys

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rexxed posted:

Oh yeah and for stuff that just really amazed me when I watched it, check out NSRobotNinja. He did a few videos over the last couple of years. He's doing the robot ninja build with the Fujin (repalces grenades with a one shot headshot throwing knife), bandoleer for more, punisher smg (for the underbarrel pulse), ambusher jets (I think, but he may switch it up), Nightmare and Vampire implants to get health back and cloak on close range kills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATPZoL0Kzx4

I tried it out and while my aim with the Fujin is awful and I'm sure I could get better with practice, I just don't think my brain works that quickly in my 40s. I'll get headshot chains in and kill multiple opponents but the end result is usually me running to reload and getting gunned down or having an indecisive split second about which guy to focus and it's too long. Love that it's possible to do different weird stuff in PS2 and it can work and is super cool.

This is awesome. Too bad modern games have ruined or just outright removed stealth and melee, (see: Apex Legends which removed the only invisibility ultimate, which was on a long cooldown and only lasted like 5 seconds very early into the game. No melee weapons except punching which does crap damage) because "pro" gamers whined about it I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I was more surprised to hear that DCUO was still actually up and running.