Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jim Bob?
This poll is closed.
Jim 0 0%
Bob 1 100.00%
Jim Bob 0 0%
Total: 1 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

People use the terms Evangelical and Fundamentalist interchangeably, but they are different. A Evangelical is a person who believes that the Great Commision is the highest calling for a Christian. They feel that it is a Christian's duty to convert as many people as possible so that they don't go to hell. Evangelicalism goes across denominational lines. Even some Catholics are Evangelical. There are liberal evangelicals, and 150 years ago there were probably more liberal evangelicals than conservative ones. Today most evangelicals are conservative, and many are fundamentalists.

Fundamentalists believe in a literal, inerrant scripture that is supposed to be our complete guide to living. Except for the parts they don't like that talk about loving people and not killing, they hate that. Many fundamentalists are evangelicals, but many are not. Many evangelicals do not believe in an inerrant scripture, and aren't fundamentalists. If a fundie says "We have to save these souls for Christ or they will go to hell," they're probably an evangelical. If they say "We're a city on the hill and we'll withstand the world. Everyone else is going to hell and good riddance!" they probably aren't. To make this more complicated, most fundamentalists call themselves evangelicals as a way of trying to appropriate the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So... This also means that Michelle couldn't go to church for that amount of time after giving birth, right?

And, uhh... Did she follow that? I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say no. I will be quite surprised if I'm wrong.

No. That only ever applied to the Temple/Tabernacle, and the Tabernacle probably never existed. Churches are holyish, but God doesn't live there. Supposedly God lived in the Holy of Holies in the temple.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Again, they're not Catholic.

They believe all sex outside of marriage is bad, and all sex inside of marriage is good (as long as the man wants it, the woman's needs are not given even minor consideration).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

AWarmBody posted:

Bill Gothard

ETA: There were people in my homeschool group that followed his teachings and later left after their own daughter experienced Gothard grooming one summer

Oh god, Bill Gothard. My mom lived at some center near Fort Lewis where they followed his teaching when she was in the army. Luckily for her she met my dad, who was also in the army. My dad was pretty conservative at that point, but he knew Gothard was bonkers. He pretty much singlehandedly pulled her out of that garbage. Now both of them are fairly progressive.

The entire point of Gothard's teachings is that women need to be under the dominion of a man at all times. The center she lived at was specifically for giving unmarried women a place to live where they would have a man to control lead them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BrigadierSensible posted:

"Yeah I was wanking to pics of sexy sexy kids, but I haven't actually diddled one yet, (that you can prove, and you aren't allowed to talk to my sisters). So I should be allowed to live in a house full of compliant, submissive young juicy children."

Makes perfect sense.

"I, uh, thought we were going to delete the part about the children being juicy."

"Josh insisted."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

"Your honor, our client is only a danger to other people's children."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

He googled specifically how to defeat the one problem he knew he had.