Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is an archive, you can find all of my work at https://bobapearlcomics.com/ or https://linktr.ee/BobaPearl If you go to the last page, you'll find a link to my latest project, that I'll keep up to date.

In a world where people only value you as much as what your parts can sell for, and money itself is the only thing that fuels magic, Marie a Sea Elf cursed to be born with legs, Taylor a Naiad Sorceress, Jaina a songstress Cat-kin, and their talking shape-shifting friend turned sword Blade embark on a dangerous quest to become the world's best adventurers. Adventurers work for the global Empire of the Red Queen. Mercenaries who are above the laws of the land, but must give up their own rights to do so.

Marie, a woman who recently lost her mentor, teams up with a young sorceress named Taylor. Where most people have to use their money and their body to cast magic, Taylor is special. The rules of magic don't apply to her as she pulls energy from the Aether itself. Hunted by the Protectorate Branch of the Adventurer's League, and only one last job from getting enough to apply for an Adventuring License, Marie and Taylor are in a race against the many hounds nipping at their heels. Join them on their last job for the drug Syndicate the Red Claires. They're dismantling a horrific drug lab, where the living and dead are harvested for what makes them special. An ignoble job where the poor are chummed. Turned into powerful Chems, so the powerful elite that hold the true reigns in this world can snort, smoke, inject, and consume the poor.

How will this adventure change them? And what hardships will they face to achieve their goals? You the audience decides, every chapter there is a vote that could radically change the course of the story, and a lottery decides which of the reader's votes will be the one chosen.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B - We LIKE to think we're a lover, not a fighter.

E: we are in fact incredibly intimidating instead

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 30, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A. We are clearly incapable of doing any job right. Instead of wasting time apologizing for the next ten jobs, we will jump straight to murdering our way out of the city and start our hobo adventure.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C sorry fixer... Again :(

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

B, I wanna see Marie flub some negotiations.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Nyaa posted:

A. We are clearly incapable of doing any job right. Instead of wasting time apologizing for the next ten jobs, we will jump straight to murdering our way out of the city and start our hobo adventure.

A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
B, this guy should get better help

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

C

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
A

Gnome called us a liar on the job.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A post has been chosen Next Update, 5/13/21

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 5, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
C
E

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The best image didn't load, because of course.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
C, F No one told me graffiti was going to be an option!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A F

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
A + E

Let's show off / test this magic stuff and impress a possible apprentice.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BE aggressive.
B
E
Aggressive!

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

E

Are you making a multi timed story with several smaller stories in the same planet/universe?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Toughy posted:

B

E

Are you making a multi timed story with several smaller stories in the same planet/universe?

Yes!

There's 5 timelines, Pre-Historic, when humans and all the other races lived in very tumultous times of violence and war (Cobbolds, which never got finished,) Modern, where Humans and other races exist in a 2020 like atmosphere (that's SCAB and Lab 619,) Then Post Humans which is where this is set, then we have Post Queen where Kitty Quest is set and then finally Future, which is where the sci-fi stories where Space Race, Mission Decommission (never got finished) and Knife Fight were set.

Magic is understood differently by every race, and you'll find blends of the ideas within each. In Kitty Quest you seem the same aura manipulation that comes from Lab 619, and the sacrificial understanding from Scab, where in Marie, they have the sacrifice stuff down, but don't really understand it and have made spell casting so easy that they don't have too. In Scab you could just use the internet to pirate spells, so there was no use selling them, and in Marie the internet doesn't exist yet, (It's set at a early 50s late 40s Technological level,) so print media is still important to learn stuff like that.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 15, 2021

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

B

F

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

BD

Just casually railroading Marie into a demonic pact I see. You did establish she makes bad decisions tho. :P

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The number one CYOA rule is: Don't put to choice things that you might not want to write. And I did not want to write a story about Marie turning down a demonic pact, lmao

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

BE

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

The number one CYOA rule is: Don't put to choice things that you might not want to write. And I did not want to write a story about Marie turning down a demonic pact, lmao

This is drat good advice. All of it. Take demonic pacts forever

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Hello.

Today, I learned I was color blind, and am going to an optometrist and getting special glasses, because of this, I am curious what my art, and how my art style might change getting fitted with new glasses that might change how I perceive color. People have told me I have a neon style, and I thought that was what I was going for, but things may be much different than I thought they were. This update for both Lab 619 and Marie & The Adventurer's League is getting pushed back to Sunday because of this, as I am trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing and what my art looks like with protanomaly. I hope this doesn't make you not want to read my stuff, or fall off because of the delay. Things will resume on a weekly schedule, but updates will happen on Sunday Nights, instead of Early Thursdays just past Midnight.

Thank you for paying attention and participating in my works! You guys make it worthwhile, and your views, and votes sustain me. I hope you are all enjoying Marie and the Adventurer's League as much as I enjoy making it.

Since people have been doing it all day, feel free to ask me what color something is, as it seems people find this fascinating.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

honestly I assumed neon catastrophe was the style you were going for! I certainly don't think it's going to affect my reading if you end up changing the colours though - I'm very interested in this whole experience for you

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 5, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BH

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

AI

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

+1

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

+2

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

DI

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

DH

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Now then, if you're one of the few people reading both this and Escape from Lab 619 You might be interested in the Races that exist in my world so far, and the general Timeline that connects the two. If this sounds like you, then hey! I have a website where I keep the centralized information that is tangentially related to the stories, and also an archive for the stories themselves. I also have on there the first light novel I had ever written, If you want to see what my first story and art was like, (It's set 520 years after this one. While 619 is thouuuusands before) Warning, I only got an editor very recently, and it's all very rough.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 5, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
B

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

A

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016