Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Returnal is an exciting and mysterious new IP from Housemarque, an independent studio known for making hectic, fast paced arcade style bullet-hell shooters. Returnal follows Selene through her journey to the mysterious planet Atropos, where she has crash landed.

Returnal is a 3rd-Person, Action-Adventure game in a Science Fiction/Horror setting. It launched on April 30th, 2021.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4nSLa8a588
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2Qa0MQyuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rX8PkdXjg

REVIEWS ARE GOOD!
https://twitter.com/JoeMiller101/status/1387747813262610433?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS3KI9vgu8&t=14s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_MfG-SfwY

:siren::siren:Important Information for New Players:siren::siren::
Glossary (from Kotaku's How Not to Die (as much) article:
  • Integrity: Returnal-speak for “health.”
  • Silphium: Restores integrity. Comes in small, medium, and large, and heals you accordingly.
  • Silphium Resin: Find three of these to increase your health integrity by 5 percent for the duration of a run. Big ones count twice.
  • Artifacts: Accessories that grant stat bonuses. You lose them when you die.
  • Parasites: Double-edged accessories that give you a helpful perk but saddle you with a major restriction in turn. Like artifacts, these disappear when you die.
  • Consumables: One-time use items (unless you get a parasite that’ll let you use them twice).
  • Obolites: Currency used to buy artifacts and consumables in each run. (You can’t, as far as I’ve seen, buy parasites.) You lose it all when you die.
  • Ether: Currency used for a whole bunch of stuff, which we’ll get to momentarily. You do not lose it when you die.
Hot Tips for Deep Space Scouts:
  • Consider remapping Melee and/or Dash off of face buttons to the bumpers. This reduces the time spent without total camera control, which is crucial for positioning and not getting overwhelmed.
  • You can rest to regain health on your spaceship, but only when you can still reach Helios.
  • On your map, Green Rectangle doors are the most direct route to your current objective. Blue Triangle doors are optional.
  • Consumables of the same type are stackable
  • A treasure chest or item behind a locked gate indicates a switch nearby that will unlock the gate.
  • It is typically correct to save Atropian Keys for locked DOORS instead of chests. Anything could be behind that door... even another chest!
  • The orange doors aren't a special unlock, they open if you have the Blade Balancer artifact
Housemarque

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Fuckin died at the end of the 2nd Biome oh the PAIN

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress these bats

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The movie's called Groundhog Day bro. No 's

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Ate it on the third phase of the first boss. Metroid Prime 4 has a much higher bar to cross now, cheez.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

JBP posted:

gently caress these bats

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no all my work's remote connection systems are down whatever will I do today

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

JBP posted:

gently caress these bats

Also drat you, obvious grapple points with treasure past them when I don't have a grapple gun yet.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anyone figure out the best way to photo mode? I can’t seem to hide the hud unless I’m just missing a setting. Game is gorgeous and pics and gifs need to happen.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Shooting the giant liquid metal sphere is cool as hell. The sound and haptics on this game are insane. I am so excited for this generation of games.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERd61bDY7k

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Game is great even though it pounds me in the rear end like a Chuck Tingle title.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
MC is basically a carbon copy of Olivia from Lone Echo. Which is cool, I liked her, but wow literally the same character.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol. Has anyone else found a thing you lay down on called like the recycler? What does it do besides injure you?

I also thought every time I picked up a bug I was taking off the old one. Turns out, no, by the end of my run I was covered in bugs.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I had heard absolutely nothing about this until today but all I had to see was Housemarque to know I was in

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Casnorf posted:

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Was there some sort of controversy about this game I missed? I went to try and look up gameplay footage of this today to see if I wanted to buy it and it was a cavalcade of the worst people on youtube lining up for spicy hot takes.

For what it's worth I liked what I seen of it when in the videos what weren't shithead gamer chuds.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

drat you for knowing about a movie I consider underrated and wish more people liked. :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Casnorf posted:

drat you for knowing about a movie I consider underrated and wish more people liked. :)

Sorry that movie is cancelled because Alex Jones is in it

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sorry that movie is cancelled because Alex Jones is in it

It wasn't because of the Dick? haha

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Found myself playing for two hours when I really was only supposed to play for 30 mins before bed. Game fun.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

DeathSandwich posted:

Was there some sort of controversy about this game I missed? I went to try and look up gameplay footage of this today to see if I wanted to buy it and it was a cavalcade of the worst people on youtube lining up for spicy hot takes.

For what it's worth I liked what I seen of it when in the videos what weren't shithead gamer chuds.

It's about this review most likely: https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/returnal/returnal-review/

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Definitely feel like I'm bashing my head against the wall on this but I'm slowly but surely getting better. Hades spoiled me with a lot of permanent power building in the early game, I find myself a little cross that I need to slow-walk early rooms but maybe that'll change when I make further progress

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DeathSandwich posted:

The only controversy i've seen is Kotaku trying to go for clicks by putting it in their "white women aren't progressive" article.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Has anyone been using the electropylon driver? It’s the one weapon I haven’t really used much yet

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Has anyone been using the electropylon driver? It’s the one weapon I haven’t really used much yet

It's so good. Perfect for area denial, so if you've got one with a decent alt and are confident on your dodge wizardry you can wander around and battle-mine while everything just kills itself.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Pylon Driver is my favorite weapon so far.

I would love to be playing Returnal right now but the sun is bright and shining and i would rather wait until I get off my GY shift and just get extremely weird with it tonight.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

good lord the slap the first boss has moves so goddamn quick. i must be missing a cue or something I can never dodge it

its feels like playing the binding of isaac the first time where i was figuring out how everything works. ok this shrine hurts you but gives you an item, oh gently caress this is a combat arena i'm already dead, holy poo poo why is everything invincible... oh it's the giant green pylon

it took me 4 runs to realize the starting pistol is not semi-automatic and I can actually hold the trigger down, i was missing every overload because I was spamming. made things instantly easier.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

This game is really forcing me to learn to let off the focus aim trigger and just Contra it up and I love it for that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

dogstile posted:

The only controversy i've seen is Kotaku trying to go for clicks by putting it in their "white women aren't progressive" article.

The Australian Kotaku review just talks about the price of the game it's woeful.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So couple things:

Sometimes my guns fire additional energy bullets and sometimes they do not. Why?

When you get a parasite does the game tell you what the mods are anywhere or do you just have to guess?

Last night I got a parasite that caused me to take damage whenever I picked up an item. That was an extremely short run.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Touchpad menu has all sorts of great poo poo happenin' like exactly what you're askin' for.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Critical posted:

it took me 4 runs to realize the starting pistol is not semi-automatic and I can actually hold the trigger down, i was missing every overload because I was spamming. made things instantly easier.

Jfc thank you lmao, also someone in the ps5 thread said you can enable auto sprint in settings and that's also super helpful

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
The weapon augment unlocks can have a pretty dramatic effect on how the weapons work and persist through runs, having a lot of fun with all of them switching it up and finding fun combos. The electropylon driver is really good, finally got the kill on the first boss and cleared up to the end of the third biome in one go with a succession of them. It's a lot easier to focus on positioning, dodging attacks and getting perfect reloads while the pylons zap everything for you.

There are shortcuts to each biome from the first without you having to fight the bosses over again, you keep the key to the teleporter for the second and once you have the grapple from the end of two you can get across the broken bridge that leads to the third area from the first. There's a pickup at the beginning of each biome that levels up your proficiency to a base level so the weapons you find will be appropriate, but you'll definitely be much more powerful running the levels again - I think the item at the beginning of the citadel puts you to 9 proficiency while I was up to 12/13 when I full cleared the previous 2, not to mention all the health upgrades/artifacts/parasites. The place to deposit the data cubes is past the bosses though so you'll have to do that again if you find one, you also get 5 ether and a drop from killing them

I've had rest mode with other games bug out on the PS5 far more often than the PS4 so it's a little annoying that there's no sort of backup mid-run, they can get pretty lengthy now that I'm clearing through several areas. So far though I've been enjoying it so much that I don't want to put it down mid run anyway :shrug:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Housemarque commented on some reddit post about mid-run saving that they "can't promise anything at this time" but they're pretty clearly in receipt of the feedback and it won't surprise me if they add in a save/quit option or something relatively soon.

Game extremely good, I'm not normally a fan of rogue-likes but I think this game has sunk its claws in me expressly because it's a great game but kind of a mediocre rogue-like. It's more about metroiding your way forward than it is about like getting the perfect build or whatever.

Also I swear there's some kind of bad luck protection or something because after getting reamed out by the first boss I got a run where it felt like the game was like "time to move on buddy". Like, tossed me some just amazing weapon mods, and threw integrity boosts/a spare life at me.

Also top 500 in the world for the daily challenge, lovin' life while it lasts.

edit: Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/1388150983318966276?s=20

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 1, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The more I play of this game the more I start to suspect that none of this is real and it is just Selene processing some sort of trauma and that would loving suck because I wanted a cool sci-fi story.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

roguelikes are about working with what you get not loving builds what the gently caress its like the entire history of the term and the literal actual game that spawned it dont exist hahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

VanillaGorilla posted:

Housemarque commented on some reddit post about mid-run saving that they "can't promise anything at this time" but they're pretty clearly in receipt of the feedback and it won't surprise me if they add in a save/quit option or something relatively soon.

I'm really glad to hear that, my finger has been hovering over the "purchase" button all day on this game, but I just can't bring myself to click on it because of the lack of a mid-game save option (or pause), and all the other bad experiences I've had lately with buying brand new games. Outriders, Cyberpunk, The Show, I'm looking at you.

The second they add this feature in, I'll be all over it. Make the game as hard as you want, I'll bang my head against the thickest of brick walls until I get it, but I need to be able to walk away from a game without losing a lot of progress, that's just an absolute necessity for gaming at this stage in my life.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 1, 2021