Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there a reason suspending the game in Rest Mode isn’t sufficient?

The game literally tells you “you can suspend your run using rest mode” in the very first screen of the game after you hit start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there a reason suspending the game in Rest Mode isn’t sufficient?

The game literally tells you “you can suspend your run using rest mode” in the very first screen of the game after you hit start.

It absolutely should be, but I've had some issues with Rest Mode on my PS5, and that is factoring into my thought process. To be fair though, I haven't tested Rest Mode in awhile, I've just been completely avoiding it, so maybe it got fixed and I'm just being overly cautious?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just feels weird to avoid PS5 games because they ask you to use PS5 console features...

I haven’t had my PS5 drop from Rest Mode since the last few console updates

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

As I'm understanding it, you can't use the PS5 for anything else if the game is suspended in pause, yes? So a rest mode save holds hostage everything else until the run is completed or abandoned? Sounds insufficient to me but Idk, I'm bad at the game and thus don't need to save :smug:

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Wasnt there suppose to be a Souls mechanic with other dead scouts bodies being in other peoples worlds?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Son of a bitch I thought I checked out as many tutorial popups as I could but apparently there's an active reload dealy where you hit fire again in the sweet spot? Game rules so far, love learning all these cool mechanics

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just went a long way into biome 2. I loving love this game. That's all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The PS5 can run one game and one media app concurrently. So if you suspend your game you can watch YouTube but not open another game

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

cvnvcnv posted:

As I'm understanding it, you can't use the PS5 for anything else if the game is suspended in pause, yes? So a rest mode save holds hostage everything else until the run is completed or abandoned? Sounds insufficient to me but Idk, I'm bad at the game and thus don't need to save :smug:

Nah, you can exit out of the game without closing it, and use all the media apps you want. You just can’t open a different game. You can watch Netflix, HBO, whatever you want and then come back to the game later. If rest mode works well when you turn off your pa5 (works like 90% of the time for me without crashing and restarting. I think they patched the early failures a lot so far) you can keep your progress paused for days on end if you need to.

Bust Rodd, when you use the same weapon for a long time and gain proficiency, this adds the extra rounds firing and seeking enemies to it. I really like the AR for this because after about 4 proficiency levels it’s firing a bunch of rounds that works at all distances, while also letting off those extra seekers. I think the beat AR I had was one where the alt fire was a grenade launcher type thing. Really wrecked poo poo.

The electropian driver is really good at higher levels, though. Not only area denial, but if you directly tag the enemies it rips hell out of them.

This game is unbelievable. The amount of risk/reward, “luck” involved with picking up the malignant things is really great. I got super lucky once and picked up like three or four malignant resins and power ups and didn’t contract a nerf. I was standing there in shock thinking that’s it, my luck is up, game is gonna gently caress me good soon lol.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I’m on the second biome and haven’t died yet but now that I have unlocked a second biome I wonder, how are you guys handling subsequent runs? Do you still mostly clear the first area before going to another, for power ups and stuff? Or just head straight there?

Also, on this second run I found the house again, but this time it wouldn’t let me open the door. That house was some psychological horror poo poo and I kind of figured I would be going in and having a different experience every time, but no?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Electroweb stake driver is real and powerful and my friend.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ethiser posted:

The more I play of this game the more I start to suspect that none of this is real and it is just Selene processing some sort of trauma and that would loving suck because I wanted a cool sci-fi story.

I just got the house sequence where you find the ASTRA rejection letter. I don't necessarily mind the idea that this is all some sort of weird mental purgatory, but if they're going to go with that angle, I hope they pull out some sort of twist because if it's just that then that's pretty bland.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

So couple things:

Sometimes my guns fire additional energy bullets and sometimes they do not. Why?

When you get a parasite does the game tell you what the mods are anywhere or do you just have to guess?

Last night I got a parasite that caused me to take damage whenever I picked up an item. That was an extremely short run.

Those extra bullets that home in are tied to your adrenaline level I believe, one bullet per level.

Edit: Also, just fed ether into a reconstructor and now I'm stuck in the room and the door won't open and the warp doesn't work.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh poo poo. I just realized. The online components of us helping each other bank credits, or notifications of where friends are in which biome.. those bodies and logs we find? They aren’t Us, they are our friends. Like a death stranding or Journey thing. I haven’t seen anything to verify this in game but it’s my going theory now.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I had to take a short break after unlocking the second biome, but fortunately my roommate freed up and just yoinked the controller so I'm enjoying him and his pistolero style and how different it is from my electroweb-and-forget method.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I was doing soo well in biome 2, then turned a corner and some squat weird alien I’d never seen before straight up artillery strikes me and I die in one hit. The feeling of immense loss is loving real. Lol poo poo was I staring at the screen in awe at what just happened. But I think for the first time ever with a roguelike, I also felt hugely happy and excited at how far I’d gotten, how much I’d discovered, and what this next run might include. Way cool.

Finding the bug that gives you integrity on enemy kill is a game changer. I hope I find it again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love it when you kill and new alien and Selene gives this clinical scientific assessment of the encounter while you as the player are feeling like doomguy.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh poo poo. I just realized. The online components of us helping each other bank credits, or notifications of where friends are in which biome.. those bodies and logs we find? They aren’t Us, they are our friends. Like a death stranding or Journey thing. I haven’t seen anything to verify this in game but it’s my going theory now.

Several reviews mentioned being able to find corpses of dead players and avenge them by killing a monster that spawns after investigating the body. Has anyone actually seen this yet? I’ve played for about 14 hours and I haven’t come across this feature yet. (the options menu says I’m connected to online features so IDK)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
died once in the intro, died again upon meeting the first boss, and then restarted a third time and finished the entire game in one massive run

luckily i didn't actually "finish" it, or i'd be feeling a little annoyed with myself right now

i haven't marathoned something like that in years

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So it’s about an 10-12 hour game?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
emphatic no

i don't know if the 50-hour estimates by reviewers are accurate but it's definitely not a one-sitting kind of affair

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How many biomes are there?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many biomes are there?

there’s six in total

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I really gotta hunker down and avoid Mr. Artillery in the second biome, yikes. I still haven't found a stake driver or a...grappling hook?, and hope I get them soon!

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Several reviews mentioned being able to find corpses of dead players and avenge them by killing a monster that spawns after investigating the body. Has anyone actually seen this yet? I’ve played for about 14 hours and I haven’t come across this feature yet. (the options menu says I’m connected to online features so IDK)

I heard Selene mention it around my seventh run but I didn't notice anything different about the encounter or loot.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 1, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

died once in the intro, died again upon meeting the first boss, and then restarted a third time and finished the entire game in one massive run

luckily i didn't actually "finish" it, or i'd be feeling a little annoyed with myself right now

im not gonna click your spoiler but this seems completely insane to me unless you are either a complete True-Style god or you just hung back at maximum range and plinked away at every encounter

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

im not gonna click your spoiler but this seems completely insane to me unless you are either a complete True-Style god or you just hung back at maximum range and plinked away at every encounter

I finished BC0 for dead cells in less than a dozen tries, I first beat Hades on run 14, and I’ve platted gungeon, deathstate, and risk of rain 2

i like roguelikes! a lot!!

didn’t exactly breeze through this one though, at least two bosses got my pulse up to Sekiro rates

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This is a very helpful article on how to die less. Their talk about the relative worthlessness of malignant items, and hoarding ether for the machines and stuff, really good. Also, I didn’t know about a lot of these small mechanics like dark blue doors is an optional path, light blue is towards objective. I still don’t really get what proficiency is actually doing though? Does proficiency only affect future drops of that particular weapon type you are using and doesn’t do anything to the weapon you are currently using?

https://kotaku.com/how-to-not-die-as-much-in-returnal-1846796423

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
proficiency is functionally experience. the more stuff you kill, the higher your proficiency score, which improves the level of all weapons you grab going forward

weapon use can also unlock their secondary traits, which will also appear on other weapons of that type. proficiency resets on death but traits are permanent once unlocked and seem to be sequential - the really good traits won’t show up until you’ve already unlocked several for that weapon

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do weapon stats affect the bosses much? I ran the first boss twice so far, one far into a run and one early, and I did not notice much difference, though that said the difference between your starter pistol and a 5 star weapon is maybe two pips in a stat, and maybe some modifiers.

Reive
May 21, 2009

so about doing runs, do you guys run through the early areas for items or immediately try to get back to where you were using shortcuts?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

I did exactly the same thing. On my third life I got an Emergency Repair artifact from the ether exchanger in the fabricator room and holy poo poo that thing is OP so long as you're the least bit evasive. Carried me through a bunch of fights I never would have survived otherwise. Game's not easy and I'm not that good, the item is just that badass.

As for what happened after I beat the game*, boy what a nightmare that would be to experience.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Boss 2 down on my first attempt by the skin of my teeth. Met the enemy everyone hates in biome 3 and died lmao.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not really sure what happened on my first real death. I was in the 2nd biome and entered an optional area with a blue forcefield and then kept taking damage until I died, and I couldn't exit the area either. Any idea what happened? It was a laser puzzle but that didn't seem to be why I was taking damage.

Thundarr posted:

I did exactly the same thing. On my third life I got an Emergency Repair artifact from the ether exchanger in the fabricator room and holy poo poo that thing is OP so long as you're the least bit evasive. Carried me through a bunch of fights I never would have survived otherwise. Game's not easy and I'm not that good, the item is just that badass.

Yeah I wouldn't have been able to beat the first boss without it. It also offset my other parasite which dealt damage to me whenever I picked up items(including data logs...)

EDIT: My only complaint so far is I wish the obolite dropped by enemies didn’t disappear so fast. You basically have to sprint over to them when they die or it’ll be gone.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 1, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RatHat posted:

Not really sure what happened on my first real death. I was in the 2nd biome and entered an optional area with a blue forcefield and then kept taking damage until I died, and I couldn't exit the area either. Any idea what happened? It was a laser puzzle but that didn't seem to be why I was taking damage.

I'm assuming there's some kind of hazard suit upgrade for those and the water. I spent a 1up on one of those lava floor laser things and got the prize but that's not what's meant to happen surely.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Thundarr posted:

As for what happened after I beat the game*, boy what a nightmare that would be to experience.

On my first go of the first boss I died when he was like one hit away from death….but I got a second chance and just respawned where I was. Won it by the absolute skin of my teeth. I still have no idea what consumable/parasite/whatever I picked up that gave me a second life but hell I’ll take it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aidan_702 posted:

On my first go of the first boss I died when he was like one hit away from death….but I got a second chance and just respawned where I was. Won it by the absolute skin of my teeth. I still have no idea what consumable/parasite/whatever I picked up that gave me a second life but hell I’ll take it

Probably the astronaut figurine.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

He won't let you go.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Some good tips for a strong start in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqUWvXfkqU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Lmbo that third boss. After basically waltzing through the second one I was not prepared for the level of rear end whooping I was about to receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

edgar_ posted:

Some good tips for a strong start in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGqUWvXfkqU

Waiting until after you've buffed your proficiency to open chests may seem a little duh but it's easy to forget and makes a big difference!

My other advice is don't bring the shotgun to boss fights unless you're feeling the need to challenge yourself more. The damage loss at range is really bad and trying to stay up close is probably not gonna work out very well for you.