Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Von Linus posted:

how often can you revive them/yourself?

I'm pretty sure as many times as you want but it takes time to revive them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The only thing you seem to share are obolite drops.

The only issue I have so far is that you can't see the other player's malfunctions.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Can you split up or are there restrictions keeping you together? Can one player fight a boss while the other stays out of the room? What happens when someone finds one of those trapdoor bonus room things?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Can you split up or are there restrictions keeping you together? Can one player fight a boss while the other stays out of the room? What happens when someone finds one of those trapdoor bonus room things?

The partner can't go too far away or they get warped to host. I haven't confirmed if one can fight the boss while the other stays out. Trapdoors bring the other person with them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hell yes! Got the second, third and fourth sunface fragments today! I had even walked right past the fourth one, when I looked in a guide and went back and it was right there. I even killed nemesis for good measure. In level 2 I got a slow down time artifact and immediately used it on a giant flying squid thing. Good decision imo, one of those ended my last run if I remember correctly.

Tried co op and it was fine, I suppose. A friend randomly messaged me today to say she's finally started playing it, so maybe I'll do co-op with her. I've also got another friend who said biome 5 made him quit, so, same deal.

Edit 2: this game definitely becomes so, so much easier after some unlocks. For the biome 3 clear I had a serrated phasing rounds hollowpoint, and for biome 4 I got a portal gun with web. Basically those are the two guns I try to get every time.

redreader fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 23, 2022

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Sisphyus good

Some madman on the leaderboard has already gotten to phase 17

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So someone mentioned that there's not a lot of meta-progression: I think the main meta-progression that there is in this game is just the guns. If I find a hollowpoint with serrated or a pylon with web on level 1 I'll just wreck everything, not to mention getting extra pickups in lava/water and being able to use the grapple. My friend who just started only has access to the pistol, and can't do any of those things. I barely remember what was unlocked with datacubes or the starting monolith, but yeah: guns and traversal stuff.

I think taking a break from the game made me better at it too! Was really loving using two fingers on the same hand for dodge/shoot, while still controlling movement/camera in the nemesis fight. Makes it so much easier.

The only thing I just never do is, look at the dead Selenes. Those just never end well. Not really sure how to defeat them really!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The dead Selenes I usually just stay far away from and shoot from there.

The tower is really fun since it boils down down the game to straight up action with a few story beats thrown in.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

frosteh posted:

Sisphyus good

Some madman on the leaderboard has already gotten to phase 17

A few hours ago that same player's new score was phase 21.

Farthest I've gotten was 3-20.

I was doomed before it started.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I just got to 4-20 (nice) and killed the boss but now his health bar is gone and he's just staring at me. Pretty sure it's bugged out or something. Sucks because it was a PB run 😢

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone should carry me through the entire Returnal storyline, please. :kiddo: looking for goons to co-op with. I've only been able to finish the first boss so far.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly if you can beat the first boss you can beat the rest of the game, the first boss is the biggest hurdle in the game!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I will give it a try! I am pretty rusty at this because I havent played it in awhile.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually think this game is harder in coop. Enemies scale up for two players but you have to share most resources.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
What seems to be working for me with Sisyphus:

-max proficiency asap
-find a wep with stats you're good with
-prioritize disgorger pickups in bonus rooms
-use keys on doors and not chests
-pray you don't get lovely perma malfunctions (these seem to cap out at 5)

I think the shittiest disgorger is the one where you shoot the orange things in a circle. The other 3 are good, with the best being the quad something disgorger.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

frosteh posted:

What seems to be working for me with Sisyphus:

-max proficiency asap
-find a wep with stats you're good with
-prioritize disgorger pickups in bonus rooms
-use keys on doors and not chests
-pray you don't get lovely perma malfunctions (these seem to cap out at 5)

I think the shittiest disgorger is the one where you shoot the orange things in a circle. The other 3 are good, with the best being the quad something disgorger.

To add on, if you want to use resinous shield be wary of picking up integrity boosts because max integrity makes it useless.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I loving DID IT! Got the secret ending. Thanks, auto repair on low integrity, couldn't have done it without you. Even less sure what's going on, although some stuff was sort of explained. Now I can finally read the spoiler text.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

redreader posted:

I loving DID IT! Got the secret ending. Thanks, auto repair on low integrity, couldn't have done it without you. Even less sure what's going on, although some stuff was sort of explained. Now I can finally read the spoiler text.

Congrats. No idea why the level 6 shard was so insanely hard for me but the extra ending was worth it imo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I said come in! posted:

Someone should carry me through the entire Returnal storyline, please. :kiddo: looking for goons to co-op with. I've only been able to finish the first boss so far.
I just got the game Monday and have made it up to the 3rd area so if you want to run some co-op with someone who can't carry you through the game ( :v: ) I'm down. PSN MosquitoJones.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How do I do the secret ending? I’ve found sun fragments in biome 1 and 2, and planning on finding all six I guess. I gather that unlocks the house?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yep, gather all 6 and you can go there again, then beat the biome 6 boss one last time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Google the Biome 6 one, it's kind of in a weird spot and if it spawns on the upper level and you drop down before you get it you'll have to do another run.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

veni veni veni posted:

Google the Biome 6 one, it's kind of in a weird spot and if it spawns on the upper level and you drop down before you get it you'll have to do another run.

Even if you're dead keen on not Googling anything, Google this one. I found the spot it would spawn in before needing to go there, and so was like "ahhh I bet it's in that weird spot", then still really struggled to find it again. It's not like a typical secret where you're like "aha!" it's more just that it's sort of awkward camera wise, when you find it you're like "oh was I not looking at this before? I thought I was looking here?".

Or I was anyway. I hate Googling stuff, but finding out I was right about it and still missed it just kinda irritated me that I didn't just Google it in the first place. Maybe you're mileage may vary, I'm just saying no one would fault you for it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Does it consistently spawn in the same place now? I had to run biome 6 like 10 times before I got it

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Thanks for the info I’ll definitely google it. I heard people say the biome 2 one rarely spawned and was a pain to get but it was right at the beginning of the biome off on one of those side buildings in the open desert.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Blind Rasputin posted:

Thanks for the info I’ll definitely google it. I heard people say the biome 2 one rarely spawned and was a pain to get but it was right at the beginning of the biome off on one of those side buildings in the open desert.

all the other ones were in the same place every time, it was just 6 that was weird for me. they may have patched it...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

Does it consistently spawn in the same place now? I had to run biome 6 like 10 times before I got it

I don't know with the current patch, but in the past it didn't always spawn in the same place but it always spawned on the same tile. So you can identify it using the map. It's easy to find when you know what you are looking for but super easy to miss if you don't. You basically have to make like 5 jumps off the beaten path to a little side area with a chest. it basically looks like a chest that is just floating in the void when you look at the map.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The biome 4 one spawned in such a place that I missed it like 4x before I googled it. It's in between two things so easy to miss

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Looks like the full Returnal soundtrack is up on Apple Music including boss music. Hopefully it ends up on Spotify soon since my Verizon free Apple Music trial just expired :v:

Oh poo poo never mind it’s on Spotify as well now. It’s under Returnal vol. 2. Looks like everything from the first album with the new tracks for about an hour and a half’s worth of music

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 8, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm loving the tower update

Really wish they'd address some of the weapon balance issues though. Some of the weapons in this game are still just worthless. Coil spine shredder, Dreadbound thermo launcher etc.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I'm loving the tower update

Really wish they'd address some of the weapon balance issues though. Some of the weapons in this game are still just worthless. Coil spine shredder, Dreadbound thermo launcher etc.

The top tower scores are mostly dreadbound users.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you actually make the dreadbound viable against a boss?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Stay very very close.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

too bad that tower boss is basically impossible to get close to then I guess.

Obviously the dreadbound melts poo poo at point blank ranges, but I've never found a way to get it to not royally gently caress me over once the ideal scenario isn't an option. Maybe there's some unlocks I still don't have that makes it so it's not literally worthless at more than 10 feet away.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd love to hear any sort of defense of the Coilspine Shredder, Pyroshell Caster and Thermogenic Launcher. They all just feel like "what if the rotglobber was awful and did way less damage"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are mod set ups where the thermogenic launcher is basically a double barreled heat seeking rocket launcher, and if you get a coil spine with double coils and richochet you can just sort of back yourself into a corner and turn an entire room of enemies into chili with the ricochet.

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love to hear any sort of defense of the Coilspine Shredder, Pyroshell Caster and Thermogenic Launcher. They all just feel like "what if the rotglobber was awful and did way less damage"

I have all three fairly well leveled, and caster and launcher are consistently great now, though it took a lot of pain to get there. Coilspine Shredder is decent but never stops being a pain to use with the constant reloading, and big penalties for failed overloads unlike the rotglobber.

Leveled dreadbound is fantastic even at range, you just need to exercise extreme trigger discipline. 3 missed shots in a row will really screw you, but it has very generous auto aim.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sloop posted:

Leveled dreadbound is fantastic even at range, you just need to exercise extreme trigger discipline. 3 missed shots in a row will really screw you, but it has very generous auto aim.

Yeah I found that the whole trick with dreadbound was to know when to pull back and aim carefully and feather the trigger vs. get close and unload. Individual shots do a decent amount of damage and stun, just gotta make sure they connect.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I wish the tower had multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How far has everyone got in the tower? I always seem to get wrecked out of nowhere around phase 2 level 20ish. it's honestly killing my interest a bit. I'll be trucking along just fine and all of a sudden massive difficulty spike. I always seem to die around the same time. Seriously have no idea how someone has 350 million points when I can't even crack a million.

2 things that bug me is that you lose your multiplier even after all the enemies are dead. That poo poo should just pause like it does in non combat rooms. Seems silly to rush people for no reason. Also idg the point of the boss always hitting you with a really nasty permanent malfunction.

Overall I'm still digging it and it was cool for a free update, but my initial impressions of it being something I'll play for a ton of hours is starting to change. it just feels too rigid and samey overall. I'll still keep playing for now though the combat it always fun.