Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s insane how even a teensy bit of sustain turns the game into a cakewalk, at least in my experience. It’s like night & day, nothing comes close to me in terms of negating the various difficulties like even 1% lifesteal on a mediocre gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s insane how even a teensy bit of sustain turns the game into a cakewalk, at least in my experience. It’s like night & day, nothing comes close to me in terms of negating the various difficulties like even 1% lifesteal on a mediocre gun

There are going to be guns with lifesteal??

I'm inclined to agree with you. Runs where I find the artefacts that give you life on kill or life on hit correlated to your adrenaline are my best.

Killed boss 3 on my second attempt. Biome 4 is strange.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
welp, that ended quickly

all the health boosting/regen stuff i could grab carried me right through 4, 5, and 6 in one go culminating in a 23 carbine with leech 2 ripping through the endgame

34 deaths, 18 hours

finished stage 2 on second attempt and carried right through 3. once i hit the stage 4 boss i steamrolled through the game. didn't particularly care for stage 6

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Boss 4 beaten on the first try. That's two bosses in a row made an absolute joke by the lifesteal on damage item and Rotgland Lobber :psyduck:

How do you return to the first three biomes?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Kegluneq posted:

How do you return to the first three biomes?

There's a new room in the ship.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

FireWorksWell posted:

There's a new room in the ship.

I've heard that, I think I can still only access the bedroom and cockpit though. I probably just missed a prompt I guess.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Kegluneq posted:

I've heard that, I think I can still only access the bedroom and cockpit though. I probably just missed a prompt I guess.

Oh wait you need to beat the game first

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Had my first ragequit moment yesterday, both my character and Phrike were down to a sliver of health and he killed me with his melee attack even though I clearly dashed through it :ssj:

Game owns

edit: got good and finally beat him

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 15, 2022

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Second time in biome 5 went amazingly, mostly thanks to a good carbine with lvl2 lifeleach rounds. Surprised to get to biome 6 without a boss fight.

Story speculation spoilered below
This is all in her head isn't it? She killed her kid in a car crash and he drowned in a river or something.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Biome 5 is definitely tougher than 4, I can barely get one of the required keys to progress. I'm focusing on levelling up weapon abilities now, just to gain that edge on subsequent playthroughs.

Somehow in 4 I got a malfunction early on that required me to pick up a parasite to fix. I couldn't find a single one in the entire biome :cripes:

Is it just me or are some of the flying drone things in 5 absolute tanks? My Hollowseeker barely tickled them and I had to rely on alt-fire to bring them down.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Is it just me or are some of the flying drone things in 5 absolute tanks? My Hollowseeker barely tickled them and I had to rely on alt-fire to bring them down.

YES. It feels like I’m doing something wrong, they take so long to kill. Then they just kamikaze into my rear end in a top hat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The drones are real assholes but they should be dodgeable if you're already moving fast

kanonvandekempen posted:

Story speculation spoilered below
This is all in her head isn't it? She killed her kid in a car crash and he drowned in a river or something.

Maybe? The game leaves the interpretation up to you, there is no ending that makes it clear for sure what is going on.

(There is story content in the Tower of Sisyphus but it doesn't really help)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
man, the tower is absolute brain-frying madness

stage 6, 7.1 million

i'm gonna have a stroke

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
In a few days, I went from "gently caress this I'm never beating Phrike" to making it to the fourth biome. I think I beat him on my 6th or 7th try by the skin of my teeth, after using an astronaut and large silphium vial; it only took 2 tries for me to beat Ixion and Nemesis, and for the latter I didn't have to touch my vials or astronaut since I had adrenaline leech and a carbine with leech rounds. Biome 3 seems to be the easiest one so far - I made it to Nemesis on both trips, and probably could've beaten him on my first if I hadn't been tired and on the verge of sleep. The game really does a great job at making you feel more powerful as you play more; some of it is definitely the weapon upgrades, but eventually you reach a point where everything "clicks" and the early bosses become easy to get through. I still think Biome 1 can be the toughest, since every once in a while you'll end up in a room with two mycomorphs (tree guys) and a titanops, as well as the loving bats circling you and attacking from behind.

Also, the dash cooldown malfunction/parasite side-effect is clearly the worst, but the enemy counter one can be really loving bad if you prefer the carbine or hollowseeker - I was wondering why I was getting so many red orbs fired at me by previously easy enemies until I realized that the malfunction caused it

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Pike was definitely more of a brick wall than the second, third and fourth boss for me. Rotgland lobber with the consumable that restores health on hits made the last two incredibly easy.

The fifth biome is absolutely kicking my rear end though. I can barely get one of three keys before finding a roomful of murder drones or sword assholes that kill me faster than Malenia reminding me of her job title. The meme combo of carbine + leech rounds just doesn't seem to do enough damage to stop me getting swamped. I'm focusing on leveling other weapon skills until I luck into a perfect run now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah carbine is pretty mid at that point, you really want one of the guns that can just delete what you're pointing at, there's several viable options

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

I got up to the challenge room and the third key but bit it to the sword assholes. Kicking myself for not triggering the reconstructor first.

The rocket launcher actually carried me pretty well through this, being able to 1/2 hit enemies worked a lot better than the attrition approach with the carbine. Still angling for that level 3 leech before ruling it out though.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Beat Hyperion on the first try :toot: And then died immediately in Biome 5 holy poo poo

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

curried lamb of God posted:

Beat Hyperion on the first try :toot: And then died immediately in Biome 5 holy poo poo

If it's any consolation, the boss of the fifth biome will probably not pose much of a challenge to you either.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Biome 5 beaten, wooop! A high damage rocket launcher got me through the last bit. Investing in the regenerator was a wise loving choice before the last sword rear end in a top hat clipped me to death in the challenge room...

Biome 6 looks...interesting.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Beat the game earlier today! Had a very strong run through Biome 4, which set me up well for 5, and then 6 and Ophion ended up being a cakewalk - finished with two large vials and the spaceman in reserve. I'd definitely like to do some more post-game stuff and go for the platinum, but it's probably best to take a break so I don't burn out.

Great timing too, since my copy of Elden Ring arrived literally minutes later!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It makes me so happy to see new goons coming to this game long after release. It’s really fun and amazing and I love it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

It makes me so happy to see new goons coming to this game long after release. It’s really fun and amazing and I love it.

I'm assuming Meme Cat Game has helped, by getting people onto the higher tiers of PS+. Returnal has been in the £50+ price range since release here and was one of the first I grabbed from the extended catalogue after Stray.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, I just bought my PS5 a couple of months ago and upgraded to PS+ Extra specifically for Returnal and a couple of other games (Death Stranding, Assetto Corsa, Miles Morales). Well worth it so far!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
tower stage 6-4

10.5 million

think i'm finally burnt out on this game for now

run ended after a got the "enemies counter on hit" malfunction and my hallowseeker with portal beam and turret just started spewing an unending stream of death right back at me anytime i'd shoot it at an enemy. pretty funny

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Finally beat the last boss!

Once you've cleared the barriers out of the way though, biome 6 really feels like a victory lap with a token boss only at the end. The rocket launcher and burst pistol were extremely ineffectual it's true, but the carbine absolutely tore through them in what felt like literal seconds on my third try.

Now that new game plus seems to have opened up - how much more is there to see? Am I just finding more of those sun artefacts each level? How much more story is there?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There is a bit more story to see that will shed a little light on what's going on/make you more confused. You should have access to the tower now, in the same room as your crashed ship. It's basically a score attack mode and very good and intense

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There is a bit more story to see that will shed a little light on what's going on/make you more confused. You should have access to the tower now, in the same room as your crashed ship. It's basically a score attack mode and very good and intense

The tower was opened as soon as I got the grapple in biome 2. There was a short story scene I reached involving a hospital bed - is there any more than that or is it just score attack from there on?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There are several short scenes in the hospital. I haven't played enough of the tower to know how many, but there's definitely more that one

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want to say there are five scenes but that could easily be wrong

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I think there were six, maybe seven.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Thanks guys! I'll have a go at it but I won't feel too bad if a skills barrier stops me getting everything there. Once I clear Act 3 I think I'll be done and go to YouTube for the rest.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Finished act 3! It took a few goes to clear the last boss again because I wanted to try different weapons, but it does feel like taking anything other than the carbine puts you at a disadvantage. That thing can just delete it. Hollowseeker with portals was also pretty good but an equivalent without was just embarrassingly weak.

Overall a pretty great game that lived up to my expectations. The fast paced gameplay was incredibly fun and I loved the variation in level and enemy design. The different guns were fun to play with although their effectiveness can be a little too varied (why would you ever take Widemaw except as a challenge??).

I don't get a lot of time to play so I could usually only get 0.5-1.5 runs in per session. The midrun saving is definitely useful but it was mildly annoying to have to manually quit out (easy enough from Switcher) and restart the game each time I had to stop for a while. I'm not sure why the exit screen didn't just let you continue from there, but yay roguelikes.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Finished yesterday on my 135th run. Electropylon driver was op enough to get me to the end.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

Finished yesterday on my 135th run. Electropylon driver was op enough to get me to the end.
I finished on my 139th run, so well done lol (I'm assuming the deaths from which you're brought back by an item/regenerator aren't counted).

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

curried lamb of God posted:

Had my first ragequit moment yesterday, both my character and Phrike were down to a sliver of health and he killed me with his melee attack even though I clearly dashed through it :ssj:

Game owns

edit: got good and finally beat him

I'm bad at this game and phrike keeps ganking me. Got real close though. things i've learned: scout corpses are traps, it's never worth cleansing poo poo, the pistol is surprisingly good actually.

Kegluneq posted:

I finished on my 139th run, so well done lol (I'm assuming the deaths from which you're brought back by an item/regenerator aren't counted).

what about the deaths where you couldn't stop rolling around in lava or sprinting off cliffs?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 21, 2022

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm bad at this game and phrike keeps ganking me. Got real close though. things i've learned: scout corpses are traps, it's never worth cleansing poo poo, the pistol is surprisingly good actually.
You can get ether pretty easily later in the game, enough that cleansing a couple of things a run isn't a major loss. I never actually looted a scout corpse so Idk if that's worth it.

Phrike is kind of an rear end in a top hat in the early game because the weapon upgrades you get later on make a pretty big difference. My tip is to focus on going in with a decent integrity bump and a full heal. He's actually a pretty decent skill wall although I absolutely hated him to begin with.

quote:

what about the deaths where you couldn't stop rolling around in lava or sprinting off cliffs?
"Thank gently caress these aren't run ending"

...my death count would be in high 4 figures assuming I hadn't rage quit long before Phrike

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'd really say Phrike is the hardest part of the game because it's a strict teacher on understanding patterns. If I remember right, it does its attacks in threes, and you'll need to get used to the "visual noise" orbs and such that bosses throw out with their attacks. They won't impact you, just meant to get you to make mistakes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For ether, eventually you’ll have all the unlocks from the weird hole and then it starts piling up, but it’s also capped at IIRC 30 so you may as well spend it on cleansing if you’re getting close to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I had to send my ps5 in for repair and got a refurb back, so no save data. Then I was dumb enough to sync cloud data to the ps5, so goodbye unlocked artifacts, data log entries, voice logs, etc etc etc. Fuuuuuck. I had platinumed the vanilla game, now everything was reset to zero. Welp guess I'll pick up the pieces...

I died a completely avoidable death in the first biome. That's ok, I hadn't played in a while and needed to reacquire the muscle memory for this game. But I noticed some really strange things:

I didn't go through the initial tutorial-ish section where you get tooltips and then get put in a room with a big enemy to kill you, followed by the RETURNAL splash when you eat poo poo.

I also started with the sword, and a few items/enemies in my data log.

I could not enter the house in biome 1, and the astronaut figurine was already unlocked and in the fabricator

Second attempt I was on a tear. Turns out I'm really good at this game :smug: or maybe I got the artifact that gives you a shield upon picking up resins, and a parasite that reduced the kills needed for adrenaline by 1 :ninja:

When I got to biome 2, there was no music whatsoever. I can't recall if there normally is music, but it was really noticeable during this playthrough. Made it real eerie. When I got to the biome 2 boss, there was no music then, either, which is too bad because the music really amplifies the tension in that fight.

Biome 3 had music and was a normal playthrough. And god drat this game's still a blast. I finished the biome and now I have 30 ether burning a hole in my pocket, but the freakin artifact unlock machine thing isn't activated (does it not activate your first visit to biome 4?).

All in all this playthrough was pretty easy; by the time I was halfway through biome 2 I was more or less untouchable, with 2 damage siphon items and 3 silphium vials going into biome 3. I think that says a lot about the pool of upgrades/items you have available initially, and I'm a little reluctant to dilute that down by unlocking more stuff :thunk: