Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I know people like recommending rebinding the keys but I find the default to be great and each time I change it I hate it and go back. R1 for melee feels great at first because :darksouls: but tbh it takes way longer to swap from R1 to R2 than to just tap square and feels like it puts shooting out of commission for longer. Also I just want dodge to be on O, also because well :darksouls: it just feels natural. But I guess my brain is also just really conditioned to pre aiming and having the jump and dodge on face buttons doesn't bother me at all.

tldr I feel like the default is perfect but ymmv.

I agree I prefer the default face buttons to dodge and sword. I don't feel like I lose anything as I'm usually dodging facing the target and the aim assist takes care of the damage potentially dropping off. The buttons feels right where they are for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was having a kickass run, good weapons, good parasites, good suit bonuses, and boom, crash to menu when I went to use a teleporter.

This game isn’t stable enough not to have a save system.

EDIT: And when I loaded up a run again, I couldn’t interact with anything - not the ship, not the doors, nothing.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 4, 2021

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

a foolish pianist posted:

I was having a kickass run, good weapons, good parasites, good suit bonuses, and boom, crash to menu when I went to use a teleporter.

This game isn’t stable enough not to have a save system.

EDIT: And when I loaded up a run again, I couldn’t interact with anything - not the ship, not the doors, nothing.

do you have HDR on or off?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man I haven't had a problem it's been perfect over 15 hours. I'm scared.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Today the audio cut out completely, twice, for me. Pulse headset with 3D audio on. Game audio stopped and system audio on the dashboard was fine.

I didn’t want to be able to hear, anyway!!

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Had a good run. Beat boss #2, and reached boss #3 and got him down to the last phase. Last phase I was loving clueless what was going on though, just basically spazzing around getting hit lmao until I realized yes I was still damaging him, but by then it was too late.

Also, for that fight, it seems highly weighted towards distance weapons. Like you would be absolutely hosed if you have no range. Though I don't recall seeing any shotgun pickups in Biome 3, so maybe the game pushes you towards specific weapons based on the practicality of the boss fight? Not sure.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Heal on gaining/fixing malfunctions plus damage boost from malfunctions plus damage boost from Obolites is a hell of a combination. Got a hollowseeker with Portal turret II, Portal Beam, Serrated bullets, and Waves and stuff just vaporized when I looked at them.

Good way to clear the final biome.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

took a break for a bit after the game crashed on me and i needed to hard reset my ps5. i played a bit tonight and reached the second boss for the first time. fun fight but i bit the dust after chipping down about 1.5x its health.

also, am i a stupid moron for reducing my auto aim from medium/default to low? did that on the first night playing (launch night) and have left it like that bc it feels pretty "fair," but maybe that's dumb bc the game is hard as balls.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

superh posted:

Today the audio cut out completely, twice, for me. Pulse headset with 3D audio on. Game audio stopped and system audio on the dashboard was fine.

I didn’t want to be able to hear, anyway!!

I had this happen as well! I put the Ps5 into rest mode, then when it came out of rest mode the audio was back.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

took a break for a bit after the game crashed on me and i needed to hard reset my ps5. i played a bit tonight and reached the second boss for the first time. fun fight but i bit the dust after chipping down about 1.5x its health.

also, am i a stupid moron for reducing my auto aim from medium/default to low? did that on the first night playing (launch night) and have left it like that bc it feels pretty "fair," but maybe that's dumb bc the game is hard as balls.

Buddy... where you're going there will be little time for aim.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

JBP posted:

Buddy... where you're going there will be little time for aim.

oh poo poo haha fair enough

edit: +1 for default controls with always sprint enabled

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder how many players dont know that you can return to your crashed ship for a nap to get your health back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I wonder how many players dont know that you can return to your crashed ship for a nap to get your health back.

I didn't know that until it was mostly useless. Would have been nice to know while I was making my way through Biome 1. Although I guess you could theoretically use it to get a huge health bar since I think it all converts to resign if you have full health? That sounds like it would be kind of a long and boring process though.

The funny thing is I did the nap a few times but I thought it was just a novelty so I would do it at the beginning of a run. Had no idea it refills your health until a friend told me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Man I haven't had a problem it's been perfect over 15 hours. I'm scared.

Yeah I am probably close to 15 hours and not a single bug except this crazy ear blasting audio bug during the daily challenge today.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Just tried the daily and I found a dead player corpse for the first time. Couldn't interact with it, probably due to it being the daily, but may be worth keeping an eye out!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Do player corpses have the player’s PSN handle above them? Friend that player on PSN and just send them a picture of their corpse.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I thought sleeping in the bed recycled the run

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I am probably close to 15 hours and not a single bug except this crazy ear blasting audio bug during the daily challenge today.

I've got no idea what these daily challenges are lol

E: oh I missed a terminal in the ship!

Haha the door won't open this is what breaks the game!

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 4, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, gently caress in Biome 5 you gotta get all the key fragments in one run. I was hoping wound up getting the one from the mid and top levels and ate poo poo on the challenge room the first go around, and when I beat the challenge room on the second go around it put me at 1/3 and I ate poo poo on the second fragment. Those severed are bastards when you have to fight three at once.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
last few bosses are way easier easier the first ones imo, but they're so much fun and have amazing designs

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The biome 4 boss is loving amazing

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The biome 4 boss is loving amazing

With a full pipe organ rendition of (Don't Fear) The Reaper no less.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I've had the audio blow out twice in a really awful way in the normal campaign too, both times against automatons. Also the audio desynced from the final final cutscene which was amusing.

Just finished up the secret ending and I'm sure glad the gameplay was so good because that was a real limp wrap up. The sunface fragments being random was not great, ended up running through 4->6 twice since the one in 6 didn't spawn, and then a third time to hit the house and then the last boss. That fight is a fun spectacle but it's not very engaging three times in a row - at least with a lot of weapon traits unlocked you can get crazy damage and make it go a lot quicker. The reward for all that is paper thin, had a lot of fun actually getting there but as intriguing and cool as the premise is they did surprisingly little with it.

Still coming across the occasional room layout I haven't encountered yet and I only have like half a dozen of the weapon traits and alt fires unlocked to the second level.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Boss 3 down! With the shittest gun ever but I brought 4 of those damage to regen items and sailed through just getting all my health back. That was loving awesome.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gah, I just got to boss 3 and got wrecked on the trip up. Didn't even get the chance to figure out what was going on. Got a lot of weapon unlocks on the way though, so that was good. I still don't have a very good grasp on how that whole thing works.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha the end of 3 :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kiss me Pikachu posted:

I've had the audio blow out twice in a really awful way in the normal campaign too, both times against automatons.

Might not sound like much on YT but with my loud rear end bass heavy headphones on full blast this just about made me poo poo myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4zwDb-i7g

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Are the sun fragments RNG based? I can't seem to find the last one, and I swear i've looked in just about every room.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Boss 4 down. I'm speechless. Wear headphones.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Jesus christ the last area is rough. Got complacent as I had a powerful build with tons of health, wasn't prepared for.... whatever happened.

Oh well time for another go

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The last area is pretty much the tower from the end of area 3 but, like, it's the whole stage.

At least the final boss is a cakewalk

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Only glitch I've had so far is during an item acquisition cutscene there were two instances of the item, one lagging, so it looked like a ghost was following me

It didn't go away until I died 30 minutes later

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

veni veni veni posted:

Planning mostly. Knowing when to stop pushing and doing the boss when you have a good gun and large healing/astronaut which will make it way easier.

You can get a second astronaut? I've been hoarding ether and using the reconstuctor when I feel I'm ready for the boss, but he just whomps me.

EDIT: Nevermind I got him.

GlenMR fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 4, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"True" ending spoilers: Is it really all just some sort of trauma limbo? That's really weak and disappointing if so.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

infraboy posted:

Are the sun fragments RNG based? I can't seem to find the last one, and I swear i've looked in just about every room.

I had this same problem. Comb the edges of the rooms that are big and open, because I ended up finding it in a section that didn't appear on the map until I got close to it rather than being filled in when I walked into the door. Pretty mean. It seems it always spawns in the same place, which requires you to reach an island via shootin an orb to make platforms appear.

Broken Cog posted:

"True" ending spoilers: Is it really all just some sort of trauma limbo? That's really weak and disappointing if so.

Yeah that's about where I am with it. Some people online think it's supposed to be literal and Selene ends up creating a timeloop where she creates the crash but I don't think that's the case. It being fully symbolic all makes sense (which annoys me lol) since her childhood is modern times but Astra and everything is super sci fi which wouldn't make sense for only like 30 years in the future. Idk maybe there's something more interesting going on but I definitely didn't feel very satisfied.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 4, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Might not sound like much on YT but with my loud rear end bass heavy headphones on full blast this just about made me poo poo myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4zwDb-i7g

I got that once yesterday too. I wonder if it's a bug from the patch since it never happened before that.

Oh and I'm probably an idiot. The reason why my PS5 hasn't been saving my save state in rest mode is because I fire up FFXIV when I get home from work and the console isn't going to keep a whole rear end game state in memory while I play a different game, is it :downs:

Also I found the Oops! All Lasers! version of the biome three tower. I'm not a fan.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
New favorite thing is using the reflex stimulants to slow down time fighting those rocket pod dudes, and killing them as they try to dive-bomb you. drat that's satisfying.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Housemarque discord has some tips:

quote:

I’m not able to interact with the fabricators and I’m not able to pass through doors
If you are using a pre-order suit: Enter the pause menu and select “Restart your run”. (Your run will be aborted, but any permanent progress and weapon upgrade progress is kept.)
Select the plain Selene suit in your spaceship.
After doing the suit switch, close the game and start it again.

If you have customized controls: Please also try resetting controller bindings to default.

How do I find the digital deluxe soundtrack on my PS5?
The soundtrack is found via pressing select on the game in the PS5 game menu and changing the game version to soundtrack.

The soundtrack launches as a separate game, meaning it will close your current running game! Beware that you do tun use your current run of Returnal!

How do I find the pre-order suits?
The suits are found in Helios (your spaceship), on the right when exiting the cockpit. (At the moment we recommend using the default Selene costume only, to avoid a possible bug related to it.)

How do I find the deluxe edition weapons?
For Digital Deluxe edition owners the weapons are added into the loot pool after picking them up in Overgrown ruins (the first biome). For other versions they appear later in the game, people who bought the deluxe edition just get quicker access to them.

My game is crashing, what do I do?
First, please send the crash report! We receive crash reports form the console directly. For further customer support for Returnal, including bug reports, please contact Sony Playstation support https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/contact-us/contact-form/

So basically, if the game is crashing, delete everything and reinstall, don't change your control scheme, and for god's sake don't touch the preorder costumes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO that the bugs might also be tied to remapping the controls, that fucken sucks!

What’re the odds they give anyone who pre-ordered something as an apology for essentially shipping us a worse version of the game, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Broken Cog posted:

It's more than that. I think there is still some C'thulic elder fuckery going on. My take away is that the Selene you play as in the game is a chimeric hybrid of the Mom and the Daughter in the crash. The mom was paralyzed and (presumably) lost an eye in the wreck and the daughter was stone cold dead, so the entity in the lake stitched one of the daughter's eyes and spine and consciousness into the mom (hence the eye and spine motifs). It's also why you get the images and log of things that are not congruent with Selene the player character being a scout and the things she sees in the house (the presumably anti-depressants or some sort of mental health pills, the rejection letter from not-NASA, It's obvious the mom was suppose to be an Astronaut and that impressed very heavily on the daughter, but the mom failed out for some reason). It's still largely the mom's body, but the daughter is in control and experiencing the mom's memories filter through the lens of Astara as this conflict ground where she is suppose to synthesize what she has become. There is an aspect of the mom that doesn't want to give up her body though - hence the monster in the wheelchair you confront at the end of the game. It's only after this Selena fully synthesizes what has happened to her that she's finally able to reject the last vestiges of the mom holding on that she is able to finally become the Astronaut and break the cycle, causing another version of the mother/daughter to crash into the lake and start the cycle all over again. The astronaut representing the version of Selena that has broken the cycle, the true Hegelian Dialectic given human form.

The entity in the lake being given some sort of timeless bemusement through this whole process of crashing, synthesizing, escaping, and starting the cycle over again.