Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
died once in the intro, died again upon meeting the first boss, and then restarted a third time and finished the entire game in one massive run

luckily i didn't actually "finish" it, or i'd be feeling a little annoyed with myself right now

i haven't marathoned something like that in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
emphatic no

i don't know if the 50-hour estimates by reviewers are accurate but it's definitely not a one-sitting kind of affair

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many biomes are there?

there’s six in total

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

im not gonna click your spoiler but this seems completely insane to me unless you are either a complete True-Style god or you just hung back at maximum range and plinked away at every encounter

I finished BC0 for dead cells in less than a dozen tries, I first beat Hades on run 14, and I’ve platted gungeon, deathstate, and risk of rain 2

i like roguelikes! a lot!!

didn’t exactly breeze through this one though, at least two bosses got my pulse up to Sekiro rates

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
proficiency is functionally experience. the more stuff you kill, the higher your proficiency score, which improves the level of all weapons you grab going forward

weapon use can also unlock their secondary traits, which will also appear on other weapons of that type. proficiency resets on death but traits are permanent once unlocked and seem to be sequential - the really good traits won’t show up until you’ve already unlocked several for that weapon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i ran into the locked-door bug on a normal run. restarting fixes it but i don't know what sets it off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
after careful consideration i'm going to say that biome 3's enemies are the biggest bastards of the lot. those rocket drones are by far the worst low-tier enemy in the game and those mechs combine the severed's mobility with a hideous amount of firepower

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
biome 3 boss is actually kind of a wimp once you get past the visual overload, but that's not exactly easy the first time you're teleported to Alien Brain Hell-in-a-Cell. its bullet patterns are all fairly slow and simple and you're given a ton of free i-frames with all the grapple points, most of the danger comes from its helpers' support fire and your own brain misfiring from leapfrogging around the platforms on his last phase

i feel sorry for whatever schmuck walks into that fight with a shotgun

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

So I’m sitting in the doorway for the second boss and I thought it’d be like the first were maybe you get a new ability, but it doesn’t seem like it? Is there really nothing in the second area like that?

I know it’s going to kill me so it’d be nice to wake up with something new since this run has been like 2+ hours.

second boss's defeat gets you the grappling hook

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's also very helpful for finding the hidden switches to unlock the chest gates, they emit a distinct pulsing sound when you're aiming down your gunsights

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you just skipping every treasure room? I’ve had more than a couple runs end just because the game decided that this treasure room will actually be a high-level super boss who fires multiple attacks off at once and appears to take no damage whatsoever from a Lvl 5 gun.

In general I can totally submit that my positioning and aim aren’t flawless, and I’m certainly closing the gap a little early with some enemies, but I’ve absolutely been destroyed at least a dozen times by what I would consider pure RNG, a death that is truly unavoidable (such as being locked in a room with an enemy you cannot kill), so the idea that anyone has made it through the first two bosses on your first try is just absolutely insane to me.

first boss? no. all the other bosses? v:v:v

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

This but the launcher with a ton of bonus damage, full auto, and replicating shot.

Holy poo poo that thing was op. Ripped through Nemesis on my first go without even coming close to burning through my resources.

the electropylon gun is my MVP. get the pylon web mod and you can sleepwalk through most rooms

the dud of the lot is the pyro launcher. every time i pick that thing up i regret it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as with most roguelikes, this one loses its shine somewhat when you've finished the full loop once and then have to keep going through it over and over until the RNG deems you worthy to see the True Ending

i'm pretty sure for this game it's dependent on translating all the glyph stones at the bare minimum but then it comes down to hoping you get the right type of room for the items you need to do that thing. plus i haven't found either of the "hidden" guns yet, and of course there's been no sign of the touted mechanic where your own corpse becomes hostile. at least that last one's probably going to be patched

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my own take on the story, having not yet seen the true ending but with two full loops completed and a pretty good idea of what the whole thing is About

spoilers abound obviously:

it might just from the shine of a proper PS5 exclusive, but this might be one of the best successors to silent hill 2's brand of horror - i.e., suffocating, all-encompassing solipsism. selene's own mind is the root of everything horrific about atropos, but not because she's in a coma dream or because she was secretly an Evil Crazy Person. her trauma is caused by a completely inexplicable event that may have just been imagined on the spur of the moment, and the years of agonizing but mundane consequences that followed

because of whatever cosmic-horror time travel that caused her to initially descend to the abyssal ruins, atropos' corruption (and the downfall of its civilization) is based in that trauma, and it makes the planet unnerving even as its enemies and threats become familiarized to the player. what she heard and saw during that nighttime drive has infected and manifested itself in everything on the planet - the tentacle motifs, the towering spinal columns, the astronaut, the chiseled statues and monuments to selene herself, all make atropos into an epiphanic prison that is nevertheless based in reality, always a tough balance to strike in this kind of story. selene's predicament goes way deeper than just the time loop. she is lost at the center of everything that happens to her. it's fitting that her reactions to events go from shaken-but-professional scouting logs to what basically amounts to screaming "why" into the void and hoping she'll hear an answer in the echo

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 3, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

Is there a shortcut from the start of the second biome to the biome boss? It's such a long trek to get to it.

if you mean the one besides the new teleport gate at the tower's base, no, just that. you still have to cross the desert

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

The WHAT

there's a diamond-shaped teleport gate right next to the telepad at the fortress entrance. it'll send you straight to the summit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Nope, such is the roguelike way.

Once you get to the end and beat the boss in a successful run you don't have to come back ever again. There's a shortcut that unlocks straight from Biome 1 to Biome 3.

Edit also I know some people get ace runs and go through the entire series in a single run but bear in mind when you unlock the grappling hook, there are a few new areas in Biome 1 that unlock. Including a grapple point that unlocks a single shot grenade goo gun.

i've gone through biome 1 three more times and still haven't found that drat thing

ymgve posted:

drat, I must have missed it completely.

Anyway, something entirely different - what's up with the number on the machine you can use to exchange ether for obolite? When I booted up my game for the very first time it was at like 6999/10000 or some odd number.

it cumulatively tracks donations across all players and spits out a free Artifact if the counter maxes after you personally contribute obolites

since this is the post-release window, the counter's currently going up like there's a rocket engine strapped to it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

It's the room that is just a doorway to a broken bridge (not the one that goes to biome 3) that has a grapple point at the far end. You grapple up to it and it just has the goo gun and nothing else. For what it's worth, I've not had great luck with it, but I also haven't unlocked a lot of the upgrades for it.

i've seen a room like that but it just had an item cube (and a random goodie on all other runs). i'm hoping it's just RNG-based, because there's some bugs happening with certain things not appearing in people's games, the corpse mechanics being the biggest offender

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arkage posted:

I feel like I need to speak up for all those who are lovely at roguelikes, as it seems literally all I'm reading in this thread is "I'm on biome 5 with 2 deaths!". This game is hard! I find it a good bit more difficult than Soulsborne games, and I've played them all, due to me really needing to grind out a biome in order to feel prepared for the boss. It's Souls-like backtracking only to the extreme, and since it can take a long time to get to a boss, I don't want die to it, which means I feel compelled to explore side areas as well, which makes the backtrack even longer. I'm only in biome 2 but I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about later biomes where you have to do an hours-long run to get to the next boss, and then pray you easily learn all its moves right away/have enough buffs or OP poo poo, to just tank through it.

if you scrape together the funds to buy the large silphium vial and shove your arm into the integrity booster at the biome's shop then you'll almost certainly be beefy enough to overcome the bosses with anything stronger than a peashooter (so long as it's not a shotgun, better to have something long-range). the bosses in this game look intimidating but at least against them you usually just have to worry about bullets from a single source, whereas some of the challenge rooms, or the malformed elite enemies, are like walking into a food processor

and this last bit is probably obvious, but for anyone curious - don't melee too much. save it for when enemies are staggered or you're absolutely sure you can pop them in a single swing. there's a reason that shielded enemies immediately flinch when you bop them, so that you can dash away and get back to the shooting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Some of the corruption choices are a little baffling. The corrupted obel piles in particular are so far from worth it that I wonder why they're in the game

I'll usually take a corrupted key or chest though, I like rolling the dice

i hit up the corrupted obolites more often than the chests, because i'd rather have cash than the slim possibility of a better gun

most of my interactions with malignance revolve around making sure i never actually have to deal with the malfunctions, either because i have a consumable to cure them or a parasite to take the hit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I'm already screwed re: muscle memory

I can't imagine using my non-index fingers to shoot/LDS

same. i'd say that the default controls only really gently caress me up against the Severed, because when they start to teleport you need to turn around and sprint immediately before they can get a melee hit in, and the sticks don't always respond fast enough

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
found out what i need to do for the true ending and *hisses air through teeth* this may take a while

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bats are the second-worst fodder enemy in the game, but biome 3's rocket drones still handily take the crown. if they have a clear line of sight and you're not spamming the grapple, you will get hit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
parasite effects you don't have to worry about:
- enemies make acid pools on death. pfft, even if you're meleeing them you won't take a hit if you dash away super quick, and the occasional oopsie from stepping in an acid puddle won't kill you
- obolites fade faster. this is only a problem if you're sniping all your targets from the other size of the room
- damage on using atropian keys. you will, on an extremely good run, get maybe 10-12 keys tops. barely even a blip

parasite effects you do need to worry about: all the others, but especially
- damage on item pickup. no. no. god, no. not ever. even if you somehow survive it, the constant risk evaluation will make your run miserable
- damage on long fall. get used to taking a hit at every secret room and half the boss chambers (with the added fun effect of erasing your adrenaline gains right when you need them most)
- anything that causes malfunction or integrity loss on detachment. the only conceivable use for these is so situational i'm convinced they exist only to gently caress up people who don't read the description beforehand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Game good. My biggest gripe is the number of consumables that are weak or extremely niche. poo poo like ‘do damage when you jump’ ought to last a hell of a lot longer than 30s.

Also, yeah this game is hard. You don’t get broken builds with the ease of other rogue likes and plenty of things are poorly explained (or not explained at all). I didn’t realize I could go back and sleep in the ship for a big heal until after I had beat the first boss. Feel like that would’ve been huge when learning the game. And how many consumables did I waste not knowing they stack? I still don’t understand other things. Do datacubes just unlock the chance for new artifacts to drop? Are they in set locations? I have 1 from the first boss and one from a hidden room.

Strangely, I’ve had zero problems with the bats, except for one situation in a challenge room. I tend to fight at a distance and probably waste a lot of $$ pickups.

datacubes permanently add items to the pool if you unlock them with the machine at the end of each biome. their locations are pre-determined but the rooms where they spawn aren't. every biome has a certain number of room types that are mixed and matched in each run, and the cubes/xenoglyphs are always in preset locations in those rooms

in particular, if you ever stumble across a room where you see a lot of green lights, you need to haul rear end, because that means the room is about to irrevocably change (falling platforms, closing doors, etc) and nearly always has a cube or a glyph. if you don't find and collect them before the shift is complete, you're locked out of the item for that run

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

Is it worth it spending lots of ether on the unlock obelisk next to the ship?

extremely yes, they're all permanent item-pool additions like the cubes and many of them are potential game-breakers. one i'm thinking of gives you a 5% repair boost for every ether you carry, up to 50%. that's a shitload of free healing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beginning to wonder if my game is screwed up somehow. there's two weapons that simply will not spawn no matter how many times i loop their respective levels. could just be RNGitis at play but biome 1 in particular is near-totally identical from run to run

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh god this actually kind of makes sense. I don’t know if you’re right though. I thought some goons had beaten the game already, but is it true there’s much longer road to the true ending?

What happens if I die in biome 4? Do I totally start all over, or in biome 4?

biome 4 is a hard checkpoint. die or turn off your game and you restart there with 15 proficiency

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

What do the switches look like?

convex diamonds with a light in the center. they flash and make a pulsing noise when you're in ADS. most of them aren't too far from the gates

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fix posted:

I kinda like the goo gun.

how many runs did it take for you to get it? i've gone through biome 1 like six or seven times and it's never anywhere to be found

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Puddin posted:

From my runs you get it after beating boss 2 as you then get access to parts of biome 1 that you previously couldn't reach.

i have all the mobility tools and the drat thing just won't show up. either i'm missing its location somehow or the room in which it exists won't enter my spawn pool

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Serrated rounds really brings the Hollowseeker from total turd to absolute beast.

all the guns benefit tremendously from most of their upgrades (with rare exceptions like Wide Maw), but the seeker's are hilarious in that half of them amount to "MORE PROJECTILES, ALL AT ONCE, FOREVER"

the only comparable one might be the pistol, which can go from "a pistol, in the nature of a pistol" to a miniature howitzer that fires homing missile salvos while its bullets zip and swarm through enemies' flesh like angry hornets

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
by the time i encounter the typhonops i'm able to burn him down without thinking about strategy, which is helpful when dealing with an enemy that can shear off 3/4's of your lifebar with its pinky nail

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Today's daily challenge is in the laser tower. There were so goddamn many player corpses.

loving rocket drones did me in early, I should’ve just run past them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

I have not seen a single player corpse, not even when the main character commented that they keep seeing these fallen players around.

there's an entire enemy type that just does not exist because housemarque fiddled where they should have faddled and removed the whole corpse mechanic from the game. it'll almost definitely be patched in

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I only just now got what was probably meant to be your "introduction to the severed" cutscene in biome 2 :v:. Walked over to blue door and was surprised that it turned into a scene out of nowhere.

Not sure if it's luck or my design but (end game) I've found three out of six sunface shards so far, each on my very next run through their respective biomes. Maybe at this point the game makes sure the rooms they're tied to will always appear? The biome 5 one was sneaky though, good thing I was being thorough about loot hunting.

the sunface shards are guaranteed to appear in each biome, but they have a handful of preset spawn points that are randomized for every loop. i know that biome 5's can appear at the top of that multi-layered platform tower (where you need to use the delphic visor) or in the room where you originally get the water-traversal gear

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hollowseeker's damage output is really dependent on its skill loadout. most of its traits like Waves, Portal Beam, Shrapnel and Serrated Projectiles are about adding more oomph to its very weak base fire, so you want as many of those as you can get, plus a high base damage modifier

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

trigger9631 posted:

Biome 5 question: Is one of the keys in the treasure room? I’ve tried that room in two different runs and got obliterated both times.

I think so. The room just beyond it, specifically

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kiss me Pikachu posted:

On the grind for platinum and the tracking is pretty poor for all the survey completion trophies, I can't find any listing of what you are missing or have collected. I have a couple scout logs and 12 xenoglyph ciphers to go and it's lucky if one shows up per biome still containing them.

you need to look at the achievement cards on the PS menu. it's stupid, yes

i still have more than 20 missing ciphers, they're a pain in the rear end to track down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

trigger9631 posted:

Figured, thanks. Guess I just have to git gud

if that challenge room is the one i'm thinking of then you should try to grapple whenever one of the severed teleports. their "nothin personnel kid" slash is hard to dodge even at a full sprint, but get on a different vertical plane and they'll usually cancel the attack outright