Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Game owns

This concludes my review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rebind dash and jump to the bumpers

Do it before you get used to the default buttons

It makes the game so so so much easier, the default controls are Not Good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had take damage on item pickup

Remove by picking up a parasite

... didn't find a parasite until near the end of the third area :shepface:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GlenMR posted:

30-odd runs and I still haven't made it past the first boss. How are you people doing this.

It's fun, but it's an uphill run.

For me it was literally rebinding the keys, I plowed through all the way to the end of the third stage the run after I changed them. The ability to jump dodge and aim without moving my fingers was huge for me.

I'll pretty much always grab malignant items if I'm clearing side areas. I'll skip them if I'm rushing the boss or running out of rooms to clear the effects.

Stashing a full malignancy clear item is a great way to handle annoying to remove ones, you can flush them before you head to the boss, and just deal with them until then if you get unlucky.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wall penetrating dot gun is a hell of a thing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is on my GOTY list, easily

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Likewise phasing and serrated is legal cheats

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

covid claiming digital victims too

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

I'm completely stuck on the transition to Biome 3. I just can't get going in there. I basically do a 60% or so run of Biome 1 to get my health up a bit, get an artifact/parasite or two, then I take the shortcut to Biome 3. But what happens tends to be one of two things:

1. I don't get a gun early in Biome 3 and just bite it quickly.

2. I do get a gun, I make it a decent bit, but die in the same room every time - it's this big room that kind of looks like a T, and when you drop down into the top of the "T" it spawns like 15 of those little guys in the air plus 3-4 of the ground machines that charge at you and try and blow up. And I just die over and over from the constant missile barrage from 15 flying enemies and the ground explosions. I don't have enough health, I don't have enough protection, I don't do enough damage.

I'm making no progress at all on Biome 3 and getting annoyed.

Grappling makes you invuln, cover, dashing, and grappling is the way to survive the rocket assholes (or having a weapon so powerful you mulch them instantly)

I really think the Hollowseeker with serrated + phasing is absolute easy mode if you luck into one, but the main benefit the HS gives is the sheer ease of use - because you don't need to actually aim the thing very much, you can stay focused on dodging and movement, which will keep you alive vs. those jerks in particular

That said there's plenty of other weapons that'll do them fine, so it almost certainly comes down to movement (and/or getting lucky with your gear setup). Save a useful consumable or two specifically for the rooms you're having issues with, if you haven't been using them aggressively, do so - some of their behaviors weren't intuitive to me until I used them several times (like the oobolite converter being essentially a giant bullet immune shield for several seconds), or one of the shields giving you boosted melee/dash while active

Also for the rockets, if you dodge forward and sideways at an angle, they'll miss you, going backwards or sideways didn't seem to work as well for me - note that in general I preferred to entirely avoid having to dodge in the open vs them, I'd hug cover instead, because dodging one rocket barrage is easy, dodging 4 + other enemies was borderline impossible

Another thing, you can do an area 1-2-3 hop quite fast, the portal at the start of 2 will take you right to the 3 exit, so instead of combing through 1 for the Nth time, you can beeline the exit, grab anything at the start of 2, then hit 3. Probably not much of a net change in power going into 3, but nice for a change of pace if nothing else.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's a big square room in area 3, isolated platform, items visible underneath it, anyone know how the gently caress to get those? Didn't see any obvious grapple points or teleports.

There's a grapple up on the side, and health items out on the edges, but I don't see a way below. Trying to drop off the edge just results in fall damage.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've got all the items, I just don't see any way to even access the area - I'll dig up a screen of the map later

e: under here

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The sound on that gun when you let it rip up close :discourse:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it doesn't matter too much, but if you didn't know, you can (searchlights) shoot their eyes to make them close temporarily :3:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For anyone else dumb like me, the orange doors aren't a special unlock, they open if you have the blade balancer sword artifact - often shows up in the first main shop, can show up elsewhere I believe

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I disagree the story was either lazy or opaque, but I don't feel like writing a screed about it

It's an extremely well done presentation of a really unpleasant topic, which I personally dislike, but that's distinct from thinking they did it poorly

And drat did they nail presentation in this game, top to bottom (:haw:)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Go through biome 1 again and pick up every parasite you find. This tends to be how you get it to spawn

this is the kind of mew truck gamefaqs I miss

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

Finally beat the second biome boss once the indicator around Selene finally showed up. the first 5 or so tries it didn't show up so i had no way to tell where it was coming from during phase 2.

got the hook shot now, game good

There's an indicator? :v:

I used the audio, the sound in this game is so loving good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I mentioned orange doors before use the blade boost artifact, but I forgot to mention one other one I didn't realize at first

there are (minor gameplay spoiler) breakable walls, hit them with the sword a few times to break, I thought they were only in the third area, but I found one in the first as well

Now someone tell me how to get those items below that 3rd area room I posted earlier :mad:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also is there any way to get across the red floors without taking damage?

e: nevermind, I was wondering what that blank slot was, it's missable!

there's a key locked permanent suit upgrade :downs:

victrix fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 9, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game looks amazing everywhere but god drat the art design in the third area is incredible

The final area is no slouch either but it's 2spooky4me :ohdear:

Working on surveys, pray for my log 9

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Some of the guns get straight filthy with their upgrades, it's pretty cool

That combined with ever improving Skillz means you really turn into a mobile iron woman

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Carmant posted:

Thought I was going to be able to let this go and start RE8 once I "beat" it, but nope now I'm right back into it collecting the stuff for the true ending.

literally me, but for platinum nonsense

the raindrops on the controller, the audio in this game, the instant movement response

it's just so good

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Don't get a data cube from a rare room in the last biome and forget to deposit it after the boss like me :cripes:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I can’t get past biome 3 but I can perfect run the daily challenge, wtf is this game

never stop moving, never stop dodging

generally only aim for weak points on beefy bois, and then only when there's nothing dangerous and its staggered

speed and agility are your friends

set auto-sprint to on, dash and jump on l1/r1

The game absolutely gets easier as you go though, more useful artifacts and equipment, more weapons, more weapon unlocks, and a better sense of what items you should prioritize spending bucks on (plus just getting better in general, and being able to maintain adrenaline 5 for long stretches, along with aggressively collecting obols as they drop)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fedule posted:

After a hour or two of trying to find log 9, I think I'll leave this one unplatted until its all fixed, which I'm guessing will be a while yet because there are much bigger problems with the game, like an entire system not working and it being in dire need of saves. I really hope they manage to correct it all though, it's such a shame that the core game is so good but the high-level direction is engineered to create misery.

eh, I can't think of many games where 'I must get platinum!' was even a consideration, that it's appealing at all speaks to the draw the game has, for me at least

I totally agree all the technical fuckery sucks badly, but unfortunately that's Our New Normal, and it's probably only going to get worse for games this year - we're seeing games that were already in prod pre-pandemic, next up we're going to see games with a bigger chunk of their dev time in WFH land

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can skip right to the boss of 2, and the exit door to 3 via a portal at the base of the mountain, just before you go in

So if you want you can do 1-early bit of 2-3, instead of just 1-3

I rarely back track or save stuff for later. Maaaaybe green bed. It's just not needed, keep plowing!

(and turn on auto sprint

and remap controls)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah I got upgrades that made the pyroshell pretty nasty - some of the jankier feeling weapons need their unlocks before they gitgud

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The bosses are EDM rave parties to celebrate your runs

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I got the secret room transporter consumable and had my 'consumable doesn't consume' artifact go off five times in a row, that was fun :haw:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How the gently caress do I get under this room?

I have all the upgrades, the only "secret" I can find is the side grapple up, nothing that goes under the platform

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/veryevilgamer/status/1392414984831897606?s=19

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fedule posted:

I've seen collectibles get stuck in walls and under floors, it seems to happen sometimes, and always happens in some rooms.

I've seen this room several times and there's always one item below it, but sometimes two, always in that same general area visible on the minimap

If it's not a cypher I don't care though, I'm like five or six items from plat

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yes, the bosses are extremely pattern based, and a ton of their attacks are mostly visual noise

if you're sprinting at full speed you can avoid most of their random spray, dodge when needed to get clear of faster trackers

you can aggressively dodge through stuff that is unavoidable moving laterally

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

you can jump over the melee too

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fedule posted:

Where is Xenoglyph 008? I've never once seen any extra glyphs in Citadel in all my runs, I'm looking over all the map, I even went out of my way to check locked doors.

under that room I can't get under :mad:

(I have no idea)

I do know there are some that are covered up by other icons, I think there's one in 2 or 3 that's *inside* the revival device room

For area 6 there's one in one of those green rooms where you have to pick a route - if you enter a room with a long walkway in the center and a choice of left or right on the lowering staircases, go left

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yes, as you unlock more traversal tools you'll get access to more artifacts and upgrades

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

counterpoint: the more I played, the more aggressive I got

also the sword has iframes

and dodging seems to have post dodge invuln for a sec?

in any case yeah, as you progress you'll move from hiding behind a wall with a serrated phasing hollowseeker to going "widemaw shotgun? sounds good" and clowning challenge rooms

Not trying to minimize anyone struggling early game, this game is tough as hell to start, but eventually you will become a speeding whirlwind of destruction on your own merits

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

There are some places in biome 5 that are too high up to get to add don't have grapple points. Is there something I don't have yet? One room I've seen a couple times is huge circular atrium thing with a floating grapple in the middle. On the map there is a device icon that's multiple levels too high.

there's a final unlock in 6

there's also a missable one in 5 literally just open the locked door in the atrium. it's also not strictly necessary, as I got the true ending and then picked this up later during my post-game clearing :downs:

but if that room is anything like my mystery item room in area 3, who the gently caress knows, I still don't know how to get those items

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

Just chiming in to say this game is so good. “Perfect” in more than one respect. Easily my GOTY.

Do the devs have a history of doing any expansions/DLC? Are any planned?

it's real fukken good

I'm not sure honestly, curious how well it did, it seems to be getting a lot of fan love but it's not a casual friendly game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

f#a# posted:

While rushing through rooms trying to get Biome 2 glyphs:

lmao I would have poo poo myself if I thought the room was empty