Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Was there some sort of controversy about this game I missed? I went to try and look up gameplay footage of this today to see if I wanted to buy it and it was a cavalcade of the worst people on youtube lining up for spicy hot takes.

For what it's worth I liked what I seen of it when in the videos what weren't shithead gamer chuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Beat the third boss and man this game gets loving dark. Once you get to biome 4 go back and read the letters in the computer - they've all changed.

Having not seen the full loop yet or the true ending, my current speculation is that that the game is some sort of coma dream the protagonist is having. One of the notes in the computer talk about the ship being equipped with a life support unit that puts you in a coma until you can be rescued.

Overall I really like the balance of the mechanics. I appreciate that the artifacts are way more low-key compared to something like Binding of Isaac and the bigger balance point is around the weapons, of which they largely seem pretty well balanced. I will say my runs in Returnal are way way more consistent than my Isaac runs (especially once I learned some of the Returnal tricks like leaving at least some chests to open at the end of a biome when you're higher level, and skipping loose health to come back at full health and turn them into resin). I know you can skip to biome 2-3 pretty quickly once you unlock them, but I always linger in Biome 1 because when you get consistent with the enemies there you can get a bunch of cash and upgrades before you trek off.

For where I'm at at the moment I still wind up having way more problems with the first boss than I do the second or the third. I don't really know why that is. Best guess is you're more likely to have a broken gun ability combo by the time you get to the latter two.

Edit: One thing I loving love in this game is that it's clear the developers respect your time. No menuing, no dramatics test statomg the obvious, no key prompting. Just a 5 second cutscene and you're back in it. Not even a title sequence when you first start it. Just a boilerplate text warning when you first run the game, you hit X and the game just goes. I'm a big fan of the minimalist sort of design doctrine when the game largely trusts you to figure things out

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 3, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ymgve posted:

Is there a shortcut from the start of the second biome to the biome boss? It's such a long trek to get to it.

Nope, such is the roguelike way.

Once you get to the end and beat the boss in a successful run you don't have to come back ever again. There's a shortcut that unlocks straight from Biome 1 to Biome 3.

Edit also I know some people get ace runs and go through the entire series in a single run but bear in mind when you unlock the grappling hook, there are a few new areas in Biome 1 that unlock. Including a grapple point that unlocks a single shot grenade goo gun.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 3, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Oxxidation posted:

there's a diamond-shaped teleport gate right next to the telepad at the fortress entrance. it'll send you straight to the summit

Wait what?

Huh, good to know. I wound up beating the boss the first time a summited, so I didn't have to go back again.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Oxxidation posted:

i've gone through biome 1 three more times and still haven't found that drat thing

It's the room that is just a doorway to a broken bridge (not the one that goes to biome 3) that has a grapple point at the far end. You grapple up to it and it just has the goo gun and nothing else. For what it's worth, I've not had great luck with it, but I also haven't unlocked a lot of the upgrades for it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

JBP posted:

Boss three :byodood:

Games › Returnal: Groundhog's Day but on Bath Salts in Space

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Doctor_Acula posted:

Are parasites just rare as hell? I'm still in biome 1, and my last 5 runs have had zero parasites.

I have fought Phrike 3 times, and cannot make it past his 2nd phase. Perhaps I am finally too old for bideo james.

In Biome 1 you can pretty efficiently get parasites by shooting the plants with the purple puddle in the middle of it. Those plants have a low chance of dropping a bunch of cursed poo poo. One of the secret rooms is just a hallway lined with those purple plants and you can typically get 4-6 parasites and 4-6 malignant healing/resins from it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I said come in! posted:

So in order to upgrade your weapons, you just need to use them? So ideally the game keeps giving you the gun you want so you can rank it up.

If it has a locked trait (like armor piercing, narrow maw, homing missile, ect) yes, you use the locked trait enough and it unlocks permanently. Aside from that there is no mid use upgrades to a weapon and you just upgrade to one of a higher star rating.

Your proficiency level is basically your experience level. That determines the minimum level of the weapons you find in chests. Higher level weapons have more trait slots as well as having more dots in the listed stats. The current meta for biome one is to not open chests for a while. If you full clear biome 1 you'll be level 4 or 5, you then go back to those chests and fish for something good. Level 5 is where you start seeing 2 trait weapons show up iirc.

If you have trouble in biome 1 with the lovely starter pistol keep in mind that melee can punk out most every enemy in the first biome minus the flying eyeball bats and the extremely rare spawn elites. Even that big melee bear can be staggered with a blade hit and then just murdered with weeabo katana magic.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 3, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ymgve posted:

Is it worth it spending lots of ether on the unlock obelisk next to the ship?

Yeah, Getting lots of ether is imporant if only for that reason alone. The items unlocked from the obelisk are all really good and once unlocked become permanent additions to the item pool. The other worthwhile ether use is the cloning machines. I typically say never burn either purifying malignancy if you can avoid it or if it's the difference between getting a big heal and losing an artifact or something.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I said come in! posted:

My path to the first boss keeps putting me into rooms where you are locked in until you clear the room of enemies. It would be so much better if that just stopped happening so I can run for the bosses once I get a good weapon. :P

Those lock in rooms usually come with the big blade gorilla or the bigger meaner wolf that's sometimes shielded. You can tell when you see the big red orbs when you enter the room. They turn into the monster after 10-15 seconds. Use the heads up time to try and blitz down as much of the trash as you can. Once the tougher monster spawns, rush it and chop it up with your blade. The first hit stuns them long enough to get a bunch of followup melee attacks in. If you get distracted by another enemy and they recover, tag em with your weapons alt fire. Melee stunlocking also works amazingly well on the tree people too.

The trick to the Gorilla (and the mutalisk looking bats) is to dodge when they turn fully orange but haven't quite started to lunge yet. If you're too early they catch you on the back end of the dodge, if you're trying to wait for them to start the actual lunge you're too late and you're probably going to get hit because it just comes out too fast.

If you get the purple orb on a lock in, it means you've got an elite and your weeabo katana fight magic doesn't work to stun them, you gotta get good for those guys.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 4, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Just fired up the game with the new patch for the first time and it seems to crash like crazy now. Happened twice in 5 minutes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, gently caress in Biome 5 you gotta get all the key fragments in one run. I was hoping wound up getting the one from the mid and top levels and ate poo poo on the challenge room the first go around, and when I beat the challenge room on the second go around it put me at 1/3 and I ate poo poo on the second fragment. Those severed are bastards when you have to fight three at once.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Broken Cog posted:

"True" ending spoilers: Is it really all just some sort of trauma limbo? That's really weak and disappointing if so.

It's more than that. I think there is still some C'thulic elder fuckery going on. My take away is that the Selene you play as in the game is a chimeric hybrid of the Mom and the Daughter in the crash. The mom was paralyzed and (presumably) lost an eye in the wreck and the daughter was stone cold dead, so the entity in the lake stitched one of the daughter's eyes and spine and consciousness into the mom (hence the eye and spine motifs). It's also why you get the images and log of things that are not congruent with Selene the player character being a scout and the things she sees in the house (the presumably anti-depressants or some sort of mental health pills, the rejection letter from not-NASA, It's obvious the mom was suppose to be an Astronaut and that impressed very heavily on the daughter, but the mom failed out for some reason). It's still largely the mom's body, but the daughter is in control and experiencing the mom's memories filter through the lens of Astara as this conflict ground where she is suppose to synthesize what she has become. There is an aspect of the mom that doesn't want to give up her body though - hence the monster in the wheelchair you confront at the end of the game. It's only after this Selena fully synthesizes what has happened to her that she's finally able to reject the last vestiges of the mom holding on that she is able to finally become the Astronaut and break the cycle, causing another version of the mother/daughter to crash into the lake and start the cycle all over again. The astronaut representing the version of Selena that has broken the cycle, the true Hegelian Dialectic given human form.

The entity in the lake being given some sort of timeless bemusement through this whole process of crashing, synthesizing, escaping, and starting the cycle over again.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

a foolish pianist posted:

The shotgun just seems to be there to waste about 1/5 of your weapon drops.

Also, I finally got Ixion yesterday! The new grappling hook is cool.

The shotgun is one of the weapons that swings wildly between "Completely worthless" and "crazy overpowered" depending on the mods. If you get one that has like Narrow maw / Slug / Explosive it will absolutely wreck up the place.

I know it's not great, but I still like the poison grenade launcher weapon - even basic ones can pretty consistently kill the jobber enemies but you really need something with a bit more oomph for bosses.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'd be curious to know for the people who have very strong opinions for good / bad weapons on how their playstyle is. Carbine and Hollowseeker to me have always been fine by and large but I honestly don't hate any of the weapons with exception of maybe Wide Maw shotgun. I can see people really leaning on Carbine / hollowseeker if their playstyle has them hang back and snipe from the door and generally keep far back. I tend to play really really aggressive though and I tend to keep really close and melee a LOT. So I tend to get really good usage out of the close range infighting weapons like the shotgun and dreadbound and even the humble pistol.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Really in general my suggestion is to melee more minus the biomes where it's not really viable (namely 2 where most of the enemies fly way above your head, and 6 where it's basically chaff that dies in one hit and unstunnable elites. Most things in the other biomes either die outright from a melee hit or get stunned so you can spam followup attaacks. Even the big bladed gorillas in biome 1 can just be swatted with blade spam if you can single him out long enough.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

shortspecialbus posted:

Is the hollowseeker useful at high levels or something? So far every hollowseeker I've gotten (up to proficiency 4) is worse than the starting pistol and does next to zero damage per projectile and a magdump barely kills the easiest enemy. What is this gun good for?

To add: It also has amazing weapon mods. Get one with Waves and Portal and you become a murderous beast.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm stuck in biome 3. What's a basic strategy to git gud there? I'm playing through all of biome 1 each time thinking I need to build up my integrity, and it feels like I'm wasting time doing that if everything blows through my integrity in biome 3 regardless. Should I not waste my time in biome 1 and just plug away in 3? Should I run biome 1 repeatedly to unlock items/datacubes?

In Biome one it really pays off to be YOLO as gently caress:
- Don't open chests right away, use the starter pistol for most of the region and come back and open the chests once you have a couple levels of proficiency. Starter Pistol + melee can and should carry you entirely through biome 1 fine.
- Get yourself use to not picking up health right away also - all healing pickups turn into suit upgrades if you're at full health when you pick it up. If you take hits keep pushing through (or only grab the bare minimum you need to keep yourself upright) to the end of the region, go back to Helios, step inside, and nap in the bed to heal up, then go collect a bunch of free resin points.
- Use your Melee much more. If you can single out the rare monsters like the tree dudes, the blade-arm gorilla dudes, and the bigger sometimes shielded wolves and tag them with your sword they will fall over and let you follow up and cut them to death for free. Melee also one-shots most of the chaff enemies and has some invincibility frames attached too, so you can sometimes lunge in on someone through an attack.
- Don't shy away from Malfunctions, just make sure you manage the ones you have and have a plan for clearing them out.

Those should help you get through Biome 1 with minimum fuss and give you a strong lead into Biome 3 where you can then play a lot more cautiously with a bigger health pool and a lot more artifacts/upgrades from world one. Biome 3 keep in mind that once you fight through the temple and raise the bridge the first time it will still be up on subsequent playthroughs so don't be afraid to burn up your resources the first time through.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tpink posted:

I think they significantly nerfed the Helios heal in one of the recent patches. I tried it yesterday and I swear it healed like maybe...20% of my bar? And that was without a lot of integrity upgrades.

I agree on using melee more though! I've been doing a lot more of that and it makes at least some of the Biome 1 rooms a breeze to get through.

Even so, it's that much less healing you have to do to get back into Resin Collection time.

If you delay picking up health it allows for the chance you find one of the suit upgrade beds or a healing artifact like the Adrenaline -> Lifesteal or heal on collecting and curing malfunctions/parasites - which can help cap your health so you can then convert the healing to resins.