Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Returnal is an exciting and mysterious new IP from Housemarque, an independent studio known for making hectic, fast paced arcade style bullet-hell shooters. Returnal follows Selene through her journey to the mysterious planet Atropos, where she has crash landed.

Returnal is a 3rd-Person, Action-Adventure game in a Science Fiction/Horror setting. It launched on April 30th, 2021.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4nSLa8a588
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2Qa0MQyuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rX8PkdXjg

REVIEWS ARE GOOD!
https://twitter.com/JoeMiller101/status/1387747813262610433?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS3KI9vgu8&t=14s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs_MfG-SfwY

:siren::siren:Important Information for New Players:siren::siren::
Glossary (from Kotaku's How Not to Die (as much) article:
  • Integrity: Returnal-speak for “health.”
  • Silphium: Restores integrity. Comes in small, medium, and large, and heals you accordingly.
  • Silphium Resin: Find three of these to increase your health integrity by 5 percent for the duration of a run. Big ones count twice.
  • Artifacts: Accessories that grant stat bonuses. You lose them when you die.
  • Parasites: Double-edged accessories that give you a helpful perk but saddle you with a major restriction in turn. Like artifacts, these disappear when you die.
  • Consumables: One-time use items (unless you get a parasite that’ll let you use them twice).
  • Obolites: Currency used to buy artifacts and consumables in each run. (You can’t, as far as I’ve seen, buy parasites.) You lose it all when you die.
  • Ether: Currency used for a whole bunch of stuff, which we’ll get to momentarily. You do not lose it when you die.
Hot Tips for Deep Space Scouts:
  • Consider remapping Melee and/or Dash off of face buttons to the bumpers. This reduces the time spent without total camera control, which is crucial for positioning and not getting overwhelmed.
  • You can rest to regain health on your spaceship, but only when you can still reach Helios.
  • On your map, Green Rectangle doors are the most direct route to your current objective. Blue Triangle doors are optional.
  • Consumables of the same type are stackable
  • A treasure chest or item behind a locked gate indicates a switch nearby that will unlock the gate.
  • It is typically correct to save Atropian Keys for locked DOORS instead of chests. Anything could be behind that door... even another chest!
  • The orange doors aren't a special unlock, they open if you have the Blade Balancer artifact
Housemarque

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Pylon Driver is my favorite weapon so far.

I would love to be playing Returnal right now but the sun is bright and shining and i would rather wait until I get off my GY shift and just get extremely weird with it tonight.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So couple things:

Sometimes my guns fire additional energy bullets and sometimes they do not. Why?

When you get a parasite does the game tell you what the mods are anywhere or do you just have to guess?

Last night I got a parasite that caused me to take damage whenever I picked up an item. That was an extremely short run.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there a reason suspending the game in Rest Mode isn’t sufficient?

The game literally tells you “you can suspend your run using rest mode” in the very first screen of the game after you hit start.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just feels weird to avoid PS5 games because they ask you to use PS5 console features...

I haven’t had my PS5 drop from Rest Mode since the last few console updates

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

died once in the intro, died again upon meeting the first boss, and then restarted a third time and finished the entire game in one massive run

luckily i didn't actually "finish" it, or i'd be feeling a little annoyed with myself right now

i haven't marathoned something like that in years

im not gonna click your spoiler but this seems completely insane to me unless you are either a complete True-Style god or you just hung back at maximum range and plinked away at every encounter

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Of my 4 attempts at Phrike, the only time i could even make it to P3 was with the Electric Pylon Web gun. The Mini-Gun and the Assault Carbine felt like they were doing absolutely no damage even at *3 compared to my *2 Pylon Launcher. My actual kill was with a huge integrity buff as well as a huge medkit AND I got the parasite that gives a 25% to not use up your consumable and it popped during the fight. All luck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Logged in to the daily challenge for the cool weapon and bonus ether!

Door in the literal first area is bugged and won’t open.

I am locked out of today’s challenge.

:smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

i ran into the locked-door bug on a normal run. restarting fixes it but i don't know what sets it off

According to the internet it could possibly be tied to the Digital Deluxe Costumes?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am absolutely terrible at these style of games and very much do not track how many runs I’ve been on. Getting to the 2nd or 3rd biome on under 10 runs seems absolutely Herculean to me. I must have died 20 times getting Phrike down, only ventured in the Wastes like 5-6 times.

Sort of getting the impression that I can’t use treasure rooms on good runs. The “don’t move” trick doesn’t work on some rooms where you get dropped in, the boss just instantly spawns and kills me with attacks that are colors I haven’t even seen before, but you know what? That’s fine! It’s a little annoying but honestly the game seems very much designed around occasionally just giving you a bad seed and skullfucking you no matter what. I learned to love it in Dark Souls I will learn to love it here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Waited all day for the challenge to roll over, made sure I was wearing the basic suit before resetting the cycle and going in for challenge room...

Door is bugged AGAIN! Really took the wind out of my sails and I don’t even feel like playing lmao. Just sucks there is absolutely nothing I can interact with, you can’t even go back in the shop to sleep and refresh.

Would love to actually get to play this game I’ve been hyping for months.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have died 48 times and I haven’t even seen the boss of the 2nd Biome yet. I’ve made it to fighting some of those cursed sword aliens on a cliff side while the box-topus dudes flew around spamming me.

Also I found a new bug where you cannot change your clothes from the DLC costumes #2. You have to change your costume to #3 first, then you can change back to #1.

I wonder what the problem with the pre-order suits is that they keep breaking poo poo. Pretty frustrating to spend the extra money on cosmetics because you want to support a new IP from a good Dev and it’s almost like you get a shittier broken version of the game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TehSaurus posted:

It me, Hercules!

I picked up the game after seeing some hype and reviews. Started it yesterday and I'm still on my first run at the start of biome 3. I died on both bosses, but had activated the reconstructor and was able to get it second try both times. For #1 I was using a six star shotgun, and for #2 an 8 or 10 star hollow seeker. Both with bonus damage which is obviously the best stat. Had a large heal for the second one as well. Haven't died outside of a boss yet, but nearly ate it at least half a dozen times.

The first biome sucked hard because my tutorial parasite was reduced malignancy chance but you take damage picking up loot. That was a real rear end in a top hat until I got it removed after Phrike. It also only had the beneficial effect like once maybe. I even got space aids from a moderate chance a couple times.

Combat has been pretty fun so far. It is very bullet hell so maybe playing Nier: Automata has paid off? I've been trying to control engagement range and abuse the dash and I guess it's working out. Other thing is doubling back for health items, and loot. Edit: and cover. So much abuse of cover. Also you can see the red enemy indicators on the minimap before the enemies notice you most of the time.

Honestly I'm both super pumped and absolutely terrified of taking my first death because I want to see the new mechanics, but also maybe I've gotten super lucky and my first run is artificially easy somehow?

Are you just skipping every treasure room? I’ve had more than a couple runs end just because the game decided that this treasure room will actually be a high-level super boss who fires multiple attacks off at once and appears to take no damage whatsoever from a Lvl 5 gun.

In general I can totally submit that my positioning and aim aren’t flawless, and I’m certainly closing the gap a little early with some enemies, but I’ve absolutely been destroyed at least a dozen times by what I would consider pure RNG, a death that is truly unavoidable (such as being locked in a room with an enemy you cannot kill), so the idea that anyone has made it through the first two bosses on your first try is just absolutely insane to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

The 3rd area is really friggin hard.

Also has anyone seen another player's body yet? Apparently the dev said on twitter that it's not happening as often as it should.

50 runs, haven’t made it to 2nd boss yet, never seen one, always online.

Here are the tips I’m gonna add to the OP:

A) consider remapping Melee and/or Dash off of the face buttons in order to minimize time with your thumb off of the camera stick.

B) Green Rectangle Doors are the route that takes you closer to your objective, Blue Triangle Doors are the optional areas.

C) Identical consumable items are stackable

D) The gates with treasure behind them mean there is a switch nearby for you to shoot.

and the Kotaku FAQ guide to all the materials.

Anything else super solid and reliable?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 2, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For a ton of people this is essentially the “first” PS5 game, anyone who bought the console at launch is desperate for anything new to play. We’re still firmly in the “everything is doing Animal Crossing numbers” era of COVID gaming.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For Biome 2, can you folks gimme some hot tips for the Living Sentients? I still haven’t even made it to the boss because those guys just gently caress me up. It’s not worth it to farm Biome 1 right? I should just rush the gate and get cracking in 2?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dash-Melee is how I kill 90% of enemies I encounter. It’s a 1HKO for the blue dogs and the Bomber-Bats, and your Jump-slash has action game physics that carry you. I am meleeing everything constantly. Plant Guys especially go from difficult to very easy after a chops to the ol’ cherry tree

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rougelikes are games about death. I personally choose to embrace death and explore and engage with the systems at play, but some goons just want to feel the authority of breaking a new toy over their knee so they can rest easy knowing that they are “da best at vibeo james” or whatever, but yes I agree it can be demoralizing to be struggling with the 2nd boss and then log on here and just see 4-5 goons be like “oh yeah I already beat every boss and never died once” when that seems utterly and completely impossible to me.

Like, I’ve platinumed Bloodborne and beaten Sekiro and done Dante Must Die on literally every single Devil May Cry, I’ve done and played and beaten a lot of very difficult video games, but I am just not the type of gamer who sits down and just exudes mastery of a game I’ve never played, in a genre I’ve never really enjoyed before Hades. If and when I am a godlike Returnal master, it’ll be after 500 deaths, and not before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I kind of like how low powered the buffs are and how extreme the trade-offs are. I feel like too often in these games "cursed" buffs tend to be huge boosts for a minor trade off and it ends up not really mattering because the downside is negligible. This evokes the Call of Cthullu style game where the game is really trying it's hardest to kill you and make you insane.

Like, we all recognize that Dark Souls can be difficult, but you can also just grind your way out of it being difficult. Same with Hades. Returnal may actually require that I simply Git Gud

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO that the bugs might also be tied to remapping the controls, that fucken sucks!

What’re the odds they give anyone who pre-ordered something as an apology for essentially shipping us a worse version of the game, lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Attestant posted:

I wish I was better at this game.

The grind of redoing biome 1 to get strong enough to even attempt 2/3 is getting to me, especially when I end up doing a lot of backtracking to the ship to heal to full when possible. The gameplay loop of avoiding healing to get resins isn't great for the morale. :sigh:

I don’t think you’re supposed to grind 1 to go do 2, the huge proficiency boost right at the door and the shortcut unlocking both seem like pretty massive indicators to me that you should just sprint to Biome 2 and hope for a gun in your first 2-3 rooms.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Had an amazing run where I had a bunch of health and Medkit and astronaut and when I finally got back to Ixion (thank gently caress for the portal!!!!) I discovered that my P9 Hollowseeker does basically zero damage to them! Are there damage resists or different types of damage? My first attempt was with a lvl 7 Pylon Launcher and I was chonking him quite fast, but my Hollowseeker was doing so little damage that my gigantic well of Integrity wasn’t even enough to get to Phase 3. This is after nearly one-shotting them with pylon launcher.

What can I do to prevent this? What can I look out for to make sure it doesn’t happen in?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing I really like about the game is that it doesn’t have a Home Screen. You just turn the game on and immediately the run begins. Awesome for vibes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

On one hand I agree but it was only for Biome 1 so it wasn't a huge deal to just leave it in

Training people to abuse infinite heals and then taking infinite heals away for the rest of game actually seems like bad design to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arkage posted:

Or how about you let me decide what constitutes a drag on a run for me instead of deciding for all of us.

The devs actually DO get to decide for everyone, it is quite literally their job to do that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After unlocking the Mountain Summit portal in Biome 2, I’m enjoying fully clearing B1 and the desert way, way more than I was enjoying Biome 2’s mountain temple. Really hoping to down Ixion today and make it to B3.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys made me panic so I just uninstalled and then did a full reinstall. Got the day off work because of surgery so I’m just doing RETURNAL all day. I wanted to play last night but I just slept for 14 hours instead. I don’t even remember my mom driving me home from the hospital.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So I did something yesterday I literally cannot ever remember doing in a video game before.

I practiced playing the game. Not like a specific boss, but literally just the fundamentals of the game, taking the time to read and familiarize myself with everything I didn’t know. I spent about four hours jamming runs in Biome 1 and the B2 temple. Would frantically re-cycle if I had a bad start or saw two many purple bats too quickly. Sometimes I’d get runs with no astronauts but insane guns, some runs with no buffs and trash guns but infinite integrity, a couple really dope builds. Practiced Phrike once, basically just ate poo poo on his phase 3 after bad dodges, and I had one nearly perfect run (150% Int, AstroBoy, Shrapnel/Wave on P7 Hollowseeker)... and just ate poo poo getting greedy looking for like seriously maybe 50 more obolite.

Today I am going to beat Ixion. I will play slow and safe and get it done. I will break the cycle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Finally beat Ixion and got to Biome 3 and fooled around for about half an hour before dying. I love this game! Really excited to explore Biome 1 with the grappling hook!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Aren’t we supposed to be getting attacked by zombie Selenes or am I misinterpreting what meeting these dead bodies is supposed to be?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I assume I’ll get more collectibles when I unlock swimming and I assume some kind of double jump? I’m only on Biome 3 and I’m honestly way, way more interested in exploring Biome 1 and 2 with my new toy than I am progressing forward into hosed up Robot Hell, AKA DC.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well... OK then!

When farming, you do you folks clear out Biome 1 and go straight to 3 or do you ever feel the need to dip toes in to B2?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cool, I actually love that gameplay loop so I'm super into that.

When farming B1, I tend to leave all the treasure chests until I have proficiency 2 or 3. Am I correct for doing that? or is the item in the chest spawned when the chest is spawned, not when it's open?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can the truestyle returnal masters please watch these bosskills and maybe give me some tips on what I need to do better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxQdYkY5SM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZh5GmbDxbc&t=146s

I haven't made it to the boss of the 3rd Biome yet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are Hollowseekers with perks that literally do nothing to bosses, like Shrapnel I think, and there are Hollowseekers that own them, apparently, but in my experience Hollowseeker bullets miss so more more than they hit and my Hollowseeker attempts never get off the ground.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah this thread having 4-5 people with full clears under 10/20/30 deaths is absolutely not representive of the player base. They are 1%ers.

I’ve also had emergency repairs many times, it does not save you from rocket bats or fall damage at all

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The sheer volume of times I have walked into a room, treasure, normal, or otherwise, and just gotten instantly skullfucked into a corner by enemies I couldn’t see shooting me with lasers from off screen makes me think that people are getting bugged runs where that kind of poo poo doesn’t spawn. Beating this game in 3-4 runs absolutely must break it, there is no way that’s the intended number of runs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bardeh posted:

2 hour run where I decided to completely clear out Biomes 1+2 to get strong. 200+% health, level 12 weapon, and then a drone hits me with a rocket towards the end of Biome 3 and takes like 90% of my health off in one go. This game can turn in you in an instant, drat.

My problem so far is that attempting Biome 3 with any gun besides Carbine or Hollowseeker just means I am instantly destroyed by bomber drones. I need to be able to mow them down at speed and at distance, so even though Pylon and RotGlob and Rockets are FUN I can’t use FUN guns because none of them can do anything to bomber drones, which are literally the only thing even damaging me in Biome 3.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It kinda sucks that there aren’t any rewards for aggressive play. If this game had some kind of rally system or your lightsaber just had like 1% passive lifesteal or something then I feel like I could make progress. I guess I’m just struggling because the only apparently correct way to play is to just take potshots from as far as possible while using cover and abusing doors to avoid missile attacks… all of that sounds boring! I wanna rush in and run-and-gun and close the gap and jump into the air and slice up the dove-bats before they can slap me around!

Playing the game in such slow and potentially lame increments reduces it to something that no longer feels fun to me, and the irony of playing that slowly and methodically is that it leads me to just get bored and tired of the snail pace and that leads to the stupidest mistakes, like falling off a cliff or into water…but it t also seems to be the only way to actually make progress… oh well…

I really like Returnal conceptually and I enjoy playing it, but I have absolutely no hope of beating this game unless new artifacts and weapons in Biome 4-5-6 radically open up gameplay or diversify builds. As it stands now I feel extremely pigeonholed into one very specific style of play that doesn’t excite me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok well I’ve just completed my very best run to date. My Biome 1 spawns were very generous and I got the Damage Siphon/ Adrenaline Level artifact and basically moonwalked through a full clear of Biome 1 (including Phrike, I found a data cube!) then about 2/3 of Biome 2, then I cleared all of Biome 3 and got Nemesis down to maybe 15% health in phase 3! What an awesome boss fight! Unfortunately I feel like the over 90,000 points of Integrity I regenerated may have held my hand a bit too much but I basically found a carbine I liked and stuck with it until eventually the game took pity on me and gave me a P*15 Carbine with basically perf stats.

So now I’m wondering if I should just Zerg rush Nemesis. It seems dramatically easier than the first two bosses, at least to me, because the grappling is so easy to do, but I also needed 200% integrity (and 2.5 chances) to get there…