Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Anyone else feel like the toggle sprint setting isn't working? I set sprint to always for combat but I'd like to be able to toggle it off for platforming. I expected toggle to behave like an always-on/always-off toggle. But afaict it behaves exactly like press, so I lose sprint whenever I stop moving.

VanillaGorilla posted:

As soon as you run to Biome 3 it'll give you a power up that automatically puts you at proficiency 9.

I think that item gives you a fixed amount, 8 or so levels. I just got to biome 3 without getting to level 1 and I'm below 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Beat the third boss by the skin of my teeth after pounding two reaction consumables in a row and unloading a hollowseeker while it was in slow motion. Took off a third of its last life bar while I had a sliver of health. I thought I was doing a quick run before bedtime, now my heart is beating out of my chest. Game's alright

acksplode
May 17, 2004

All of that, plus its big clip is useful for keeping multiple enemies staggered. I really like it against the rocket guys in biome 3.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

PSA: You can disable automatic updates that close suspended games in system settings. I have my PS5 configured to automatically download updates but wait for me to manually install if the relevant game is still running.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My advice for the rocket dudes from the PS5 thread:

acksplode posted:

I've had good luck with dodging to the side and slightly toward the missiles, so they blow past me. They can't turn tight enough to home in after that. Seems like the length of the missile salvos is designed to punish you for dodging through them like other attacks. But the best defense is a good offense, I try to stagger those fuckers before they fire. When I'm fighting a swarm I usually stagger the two nearest me to create breathing room to kill a third, then repeat. Hollowseeker's big clip and long range makes that easy to do.

Bat guys aren't too bad, they're similarly vulnerable to focusing on staggering over killing. Don't focus your fire until you know you have breathing room. Keep your head on a swivel and spray a burst of fire at anyone trying to flank behind you, that often precedes an attack. If you see one flash yellow, stand your ground and shoot for a second to knock them out of the attack. Keep moving away and try to head toward a hallway or some other enclosed space that groups them together and makes it harder for them to surround you.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 3, 2021

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thundarr posted:

And, uh, you don't always get to choose when you're going to gain a malfunction.

Parasite that makes malfunctions worse? No problem, I don't plan on getting those anyway! Smash cut to me getting tagged by a dead orb with "take damage on overload" right before the third boss.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

You can have stacks of consumables? I thought you always just carried one?

You can stack multiples of the same consumable, and can unlock slots for more

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ymgve posted:

(By the way, how do you deal with those hulking giants? Their turret is impossible to dodge, and there's not much downtime before they wind up again. And then there were TWO of them. I went from 3 heals to 0 before I decided "gently caress it, area's not even locked down, lets get outta here")

They have a harder time tracking you if you're close since they can't turn quickly. So stay close and strafe around them, and jump over or dodge laterally through their gunfire when it gets near. They might jump at you but that's telegraphed clearly enough to dodge away in time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Speaking of logs, be sure to check out your ship's log after you get to biome 4 :stare:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Also can someone explain how when staring biome 4 & 5 i was using the hollowslayer and quite often when shooting a purple orb would appear behind me and shoot at enemies? I had it during the biome 4 boss and thought it was something to avoid and for a while after. I thought it was the game trying to keep me moving till I realised it was helping.

It's a weapon trait, you can see it in the equipment menu

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'd settle for not losing adrenaline on a fall, that's what really hurts.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

1. Once you’re into the further biomes should you just rush to that one as quickly as possible? I tried that and it bumped my proficiency up to 9 pretty quickly but my health was low, I didn’t get a new weapon and I got smashed.
I think rushing and preparing are both viable. (I usually get a weapon first thing after the proficiency bump, but occasionally I get unlucky and have to tough out the first room with low-level gun.) I usually rush new biomes until I hit a difficulty wall, then I do slower preparatory runs, both as a breather and to help me last longer with whatever's giving me trouble, which gives me more time to learn how to deal with it when I finally get to it. Then once I've skilled up a bit rushing becomes viable again, and I'll alternate depending on whether I'm in the mood for a long run.

quote:

2. Maybe I’m missing something but are Ether and learning weapon traits the only permanent upgrades in this game (beyond the story/boss gated items like grappling hook)?
Yup I think that's it. Ether, weapon traits, alt-fire modes, permanent suit upgrades, and keys.

Overdrift posted:

Anything that you scan is sort of a 'permanent' upgrade in that it is added to the pool of items that is now available.
Yeah this too. Try to always end a run with enough ether to unlock another artifact at the vending machine obelisk near Helios.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

A new patch that probably doesn't delete your progress should be up later today

https://twitter.com/Housemarque/status/1390053362616389632

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It wasn't designed, it was a bug, which is why they removed it edit: oh nm I got you

acksplode fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 6, 2021

acksplode
May 17, 2004

1.003.003 is the bad version, if you have 1.003.001 then you're good to play. If you have the bad version then delete and reinstall. I think they took the new update down, which is why you have to reinstall, since you're not allowed to downgrade.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I got to the credits after scouring biome 4 and getting some lucky artifacts: improved max health upgrades, heal 5% damage per adrenaline level, 5% bonus damage per adrenaline level. By halfway through biome 5 I was a katamari of good artifacts with 300% health. Finally beat that then steamrolled to the end. My initial impression is that I'm overall very satisfied. I can come up with nitpicks when I'm not bleary eyed from pushing past bedtime because I didn't want to leave this run suspended, but I'm in love with the foundational gameplay. I can see myself coming back to this and doing daily challenges for the rest of the generation. The story was a little thin but the scenario was cool as hell. It did its job of supporting the gameplay, making exploration intriguing and motivating that next try. It made me forget RE8 is out this week, which is saying something. Also my save didn't get deleted. 5/5

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nah that sounds about right. I got to credits with 19 deaths, over that time I had two soft crashes and I had to restart a run after picking up a book that I literally couldn't put down during a house segment. It's a somewhat unstable game. Not especially crashy compared to some other PS5 games but the crashes are painful due to the lack of checkpointing.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ShaneB posted:

You two beat the ENTIRE GAME in sub-50 deaths? I've already died 19 times in the first 2 biomes. It took me 18 deaths to get past the first boss.

I got to the first boss on my third or fourth run, beat him a run or two after that 💅

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Can the truestyle returnal masters please watch these bosskills and maybe give me some tips on what I need to do better?

Phrike:

0:06 Good call on using your alt-fire out the gate, for max DPS your alt-fire should either be in use or recharging at all times. Though I'd recommend going into this fight with a long-distance alt-fire so you don't have to get close.
0:18 Those streams of red bullets will miss you by a mile if you strafe left or right, no need to dash. Make sure you're circle strafing and you can outright ignore them to focus on dealing damage or, in later phases, dodging other bullshit.
0:30 Looks like you got hit by the blue bullets because you dodged early and it was still recharging by the time you actually needed to dodge. Gotta get that timing down. You should be taking 0 damage in the first phase so that you have a good buffer of health for his last phase.
0:38 You got hit by the red bullets because you moved forward toward Phrike. Literally always circle strafe when he's doing that attack and you won't have to think about it.
1:08 He often does a melee after firing off a red ring. Always be ready to deploy some iframes after the red ring to get through his melee.
1:10 THIS is how you handle the red bullets. See how effortless it is when you circle strafe?
1:22 Jump over the laser sweep. You can dash through it but the timing is tricky, jump is safer.
2:16 Not sure if you're aware but you can dash through those red rings instead of jumping over.
2:30 Alt-fire makes you a little too slow to sidestep the red bullet spew, so focus on regular fire during those attacks.
2:33 Gotta dodge those melees man! Cmon!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

GlenMR posted:

Just reached biome 4. That place ain't loving around. Couple of questions, I'll spoiler them in case people don't want to see.

1 - Is there a path back to the first three biomes?
2 - I've seen people mention an amazing Cutscene after Biome 3, but the one I saw felt pretty underwhelming. Is there another house sequence coming up?
3 - How far from the next movement upgrade am I?

Yes, but you can't access it until you reach the credits.
There are more house sequences but you saw the cutscene that people are referring to.
I think you have all the important movement upgrades by now. The suit upgrades remaining are for letting you navigate red sludge and water.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

victrix posted:

counterpoint: the more I played, the more aggressive I got

also the sword has iframes

and dodging seems to have post dodge invuln for a sec?

in any case yeah, as you progress you'll move from hiding behind a wall with a serrated phasing hollowseeker to going "widemaw shotgun? sounds good" and clowning challenge rooms

Not trying to minimize anyone struggling early game, this game is tough as hell to start, but eventually you will become a speeding whirlwind of destruction on your own merits

Big same. I play aggressively and use iframes and stagger to stay safe. Hiding behind poo poo and backing out of rooms to take potshots is gonna limit skill development. Also it sounds real boring

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Here's a bunch of aggression. I'm gonna try to be more conscious about recording cool poo poo. Anyone know how to fix the tonemapping on HDR recordings? These look awful

https://i.imgur.com/Uiu7yMr.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/MIgESO7.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/NwZ1ykp.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ocs3s0n.mp4

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Here's me dodging three missile salvos in a row. The tricks are getting the timing right and dodging forward at an angle so the missiles pass by you.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah it's nice even without high dps traits for the ease of use that lets you focus on movement and positioning, and you'll almost always have ammo available for staggering an enemy that you see winding up for an attack. The flip side is that it makes abilities which are activated by overload nearly useless, and some of them are way powerful.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I hate the pylon gun and I've started avoiding it because I don't care about unlocking more traits for it. Unreliable at range, can't stagger for poo poo, and when it's effective it just isn't satisfying. Probably the best gun for taking potshots and hiding behind cover while it does the work for you, but if you're playing aggressively and need to be able to stagger enemies to cut off their attacks, anything else is better.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

it can deadeye an enemy from all the way across the biggest rooms
It has few projectiles and big spread so if you have a distant enemy that isn't backed against a surface then it can easily miss. It can just as easily land a couple pylons and they'll wipe it out in a few seconds. Unreliable.

quote:

and has a stagger rate comparable to the carbine if not better.
IME it's a damager dealer, not much of a staggerer. It takes a shot or two to land pylons, and then some time for them to do damage and for stagger to build up. If I need to stagger an enemy, I need to stagger it right this moment before it attacks. That's especially true for a lot of the airborne enemies that are harder to hit reliably due to spread. I'd rather have a pistol in that situation.

quote:

and that's if you don't have the web attachment, which makes accuracy pointless because the entire area is going to be blanketed with pylons after three shots

And that's the unsatisfying part. The best way to use it is to smear an area with pylons and move on. Just not as fun to use as the other weapons. I like my accuracy to be pointful

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I have missing entries as well, I guess at least one of them has to do with the broken player corpse mechanic.

Just the biome 6 sun fragment to go! So close to seeing the true ending that everyone seems dissatisfied with!!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fix posted:

Has anyone played around with the parasite that disables sylphium but makes you heal from killing enemies? Every time I see it I pass, but I'm always curious how big an effect it is.

I actually picked one up last night, but in the context of a couple artifacts that gave me both health and max health every time I attached or detached a parasite. I was grabbing almost every parasite I could find and then detaching them shortly afterward lol. That parasite doesn't heal very much, but I think it still lets you pick up resin, so it's probably good if you're able to avoid getting hit and keep your health maxed without it. All the health pickups become resin so the punishment is almost moot, and you can patch up the stray hit through kills and get back to collecting resin.

I got those artifacts from an interesting fabricator in biome 1. It was one of those two-fabricator stations that was the reward at the end of a side path, and as I bought artifacts from one of the fabricators it kept replenishing with new artifacts that triggered off the same cause, in my case parasite attach/detach. It was like a synergized build dispenser. I poured cash into it and had a pretty interesting run as a result. Not sure if I was just lucky or if that's something I can expect to find again, but I'm gonna keep an eye out for more of those.

Bardeh posted:

Has anyone actually managed to make the Dreadbound work, like, at all? It's horrible garbage that I will never, ever take.

I love it. It has its obvious weakness against distant and airborne enemies but it's so brutally effective up close that I enjoy making it work. My off-the-head advice is to be very conservative about taking shots against enemies whose background is the sky. Get as close as you can, feather the trigger, and make shots against distant enemies count. It staggers really well so one projectile is usually enough to make a smaller enemy stfu. In any other situation you can just unleash hell. I'll start recording dreadbound clips

edit here's a dreadbound clip I already posted

acksplode fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 19, 2021

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hollowseeker doesn't deal a lot of damage without some traits. In its most basic form it's most effective at staggering and killing mobs of weaker enemies. If you're going up against a boss with it you probably want serrated rounds, portal beam, and/or waves.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

infraboy posted:

Patch notes

https://housemarque.com/news/2021/5/19/returnal-patch-137

It doesn't say if it helps players missing specific cyphers or logs but i'll try for a few hours once it drops.

quote:

• Fixed an issue with Deceased Scouts not appearing as often as intended.
lol. I guess 0 is technically not "as often as intended"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah you're supposed to see them in the regular game, some scout logs even refer to it. It's like a Souls bloodstain thing except you can opt to fight the monster that killed the player. Also some of the corpses become enemies. I think the daily corpses are just a marker to see who died and where?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

tpink posted:

My suggestion is prioritize. If you have the sap tree dude, take him out first - and it’s actually easy if you dash toward him. Your sword will stagger him, and you basically kill him in 3-4 swings without taking any damage. Then dash around the room looking for easy targets - you can get close to the little guys that shoot a horizontal wave of blue balls at you, and just one-shot kill them with a sword. Kill them opportunistically as you run around the map because you are way faster than they are or their shots are. The way I’ve been doing it lately for big rooms like this is to run around avoiding the big bad and one-shotting small potato enemies - then you have the big guys at your leisure, and it becomes exponentially easier to avoid them.

Yes this. Returnal is all about prioritizing targets. Prioritize major threats over smaller enemies that you can ignore or quickly kill/stagger when they become a threat. This is what the game is trying to teach you when it gives certain enemies shields -- rushing those enemy types first is usually a good tactic even if they weren't shielded. When facing mobs, prioritize enemies that are about to attack, until they're staggered or dead, then reprioritize if another attack is coming from somewhere else. That way you have fewer attacks to deal with. Every enemy winds up with a clear telegraph for their attacks, so you always know who to shoot first.

Seymour Buttz posted:

I don’t understand the “always sprint” love all over this place. Doesn’t anyone want to have the option to not sprint? How hard is it to click the stick when you want to sprint? You don’t need to hold it or anything.

I always want to be running during combat. It takes a moment to click the stick and you have to return it to neutral to do that. And you have to repeat it every time you stop moving. Absolutely not. I'd prefer to be able to toggle auto-run on and off with a button press for platforming, but oh well.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 21, 2021

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Seymour Buttz posted:

Huh? You definitely don’t have to return the stick to neutral to click it or start sprinting. At all. That would definitely make it annoying but that’s not how it works. The sticks can click totally fine while already being pushed in any direction.

Yeah you're right, but it takes extra pressure and feels awkward. Maybe it was worse on older controllers, my muscle memory is to return to neutral before clicking. Anyway I literally always want to sprint during combat. There's no reason for me to not sprint except when precision platforming, but I just got gud at doing that while sprinting.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Got the true ending. I'm gonna go back and read spoilers but first here's my initial unspoiled interpretation, to compare notes: Selene crashed her car into water with her child Helios in the back seat, either out of neglect or because she really did hallucinate an astronaut, perhaps due to some mental problem. Helios may already be dead, either way there's no chance that Selene can rescue her without drowning first. The game is her delusion taking place as she regains consciousness underwater, processing her guilt over knowing she must leave her child for dead in order to save herself (WARNING: HELIOS ABANDONED). I think she's also working through this in the context of her own abandonment issues with her own mother. That and a delusional predisposition could explain the hallucination of the astronaut that might've caused the wreck. To beat the game and end the delusion you must accept your situation, your responsibility for it, and what you must do, and swim to the surface.

I'm not wild about the game basically being a dream, but I don't feel robbed here. Maybe it'll fall apart the more I think about it or someone else's analysis will pop the bubble. But this seems like a cool story concept and I enjoy turning it over in my head. Not a home run, but not a strike either. I hope that Housemarque takes another swing at marrying arcade gameplay to AAA storytelling, I remain a fan.

Now to read spoilers!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Melee is generally really useful, it can stagger a lot of the bigger enemies in one shot like the tree guys in biome 1 and the big robot dudes in biome 3, and it has so many iframes. It's super satisfying to jump into the fray to melee an enemy and simultaneously negate a bunch of damage coming your way.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The boss door key is a permanent upgrade, if you've gotten to Phrike before then you only need to explore the map enough to find him again and power up to the point where you're comfortable taking him on. Skipping challenge rooms is perfectly legit for boss runs.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

It turned out meleeing tree guys was very effective, and I'm doing much better with those and the regular shooty fodder. Zoomy big guys with a bunch of small flying zoomy guys are my new nemesis. Also apparently understanding that gold doors are optional challenge rooms, and understanding that the Big Key was a permanent item.

I've felt comfortable to go fight Phrike like my last 3 decent runs and died in what are apparently challenge rooms because I was still searching for Big Key so ugh, I feel super stupid about that.

By the little zoomy guys do you mean the bats that turn yellow before they attack? Best thing to do first is ignore them while taking down bigger threats. Always be running and dodging across the arena so they can't surround you and get close enough to attack. They will always be trying to surround you. If you see one turning yellow and you think it may reach you, shoot it to stagger and cancel the attack. Those guys are very easy to stagger and hard to dodge, so dodge as a last resort. Dodge to the side, not away from them, and dodge at the last possible second, because they will track you if you dodge early.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If you look at the Cyphers entry under Resources, it'll list how many are left for you to collect in each biome.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thundarr posted:

I wish it did this for data cubes. I'm at 17/18 of those unlocked and there are no missing entries in the equipment or artifacts lists, so I have no way to look up where the last one may be hiding!

I'm not certain, but I think data cubes aren't limited to certain biomes? Pretty sure I've seen the same cube in different biomes. From what I can tell, each biome has certain locations that may have data cubes, and if they have a cube it's randomly selected from the available pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I feel like devs are compelled to put trophies behind collectathons because otherwise obsessives would whine about not being able to collect trophies by guide or through rote exploration, but that's already out the window with RNG based collectibles. Man if there was ever a game for challenge-based trophies this is it. Make me do a basic pistol only run! I am weak and I crave suffering!!