Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Hell yeah finally beat the first boss, gently caress you Frank.

I also fell through the floor and took damage like I fell off the map afterwards when using the cube thing. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Not a Children posted:

I've hit something of a wall on Biome 3. I find myself torn between scouring biome 1 to build up my artifacts and health and just rushing to biome 3 for another attempt. Do I invest 40 minutes in prep to maybe get blown up by a few bad drone-rocket barrages or rush it and maybe get sandbagged because I don't have any good artifact synergy?

The drones didn't bother me at first but it does really suck how hard those rockets are to avoid and how much damage they do. There aren't any other mobs that are quite that hard to handle if you get 4+ caught in the open.

I just killed the boss in Biome 3 my first time fighting him but before I got to him I died probably like 10 times just loving around on my way through the biome.

Something that really helped me not get prematurely murdered on my way to the boss was remembering that you don’t have to clear a room if you don’t want to. Like I don’t mean you don’t have to explore everything, I mean I was literally going “nope” and moving on if I felt like the fight was too risky or I was just gonna get bombarded. Enemies can’t open doors.

Even when a room locks down, it’ll usually unlock if you do a certain amount of fighting without fully clearing the room.

Biome 3 boss fight was cool as poo poo. So much panic thinking I’m not gonna find a spot to grapple to in time. First time I felt like I was getting gud at weaving through bullet hells too.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Does doing house sequences make the game more difficult from that point on? I had interpreted that as being the meaning of the dice you pick up in the house each time, but maybe not.

I definitely felt like I was seeing new rooms in B1 that seemed suited to experienced players after doing the post-B2 house sequence, but that could all be in my head.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

When you get to 100% on one of the gun buffs like Crucial Hit, what does that do?

If I’m understanding the question right, the traits actually don’t unlock until you hit that 100%, and then they’re permanently in the pool of potential traits for the gun to have.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

They keep showing up even if they're at 45% or whatever though. I see them in the databank list for the gun but I don't know what they provide unless I have a gun with that particular trait equipped.

Yeah to further break down what the other person said just now - when the trait shows a percentage, you haven’t unlocked it yet and by using that gun you’ll increase the percentage until it hits 100% and the trait actually unlocks.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Man gently caress that room in Biome 5 where once you grapple across a big chasm, the only way to continue is through a challenge room.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

victrix posted:

Don't get a data cube from a rare room in the last biome and forget to deposit it after the boss like me :cripes:

Also don’t spend 6 ether on a reconstructor before a boss room and then remember that you already killed them the first time you fought them.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Man that biome 5 mini boss room stressed me out more than just about any of the previous bosses lol. The lobber rules but man it is not suited to that fight. Still got it on my first try and made it really far into 6 but hit a pretty ridiculous room.

drat congrats, I’m at a point where Biome 5 is just telling me I’m not good enough. Never even seen the boss and I’ve used the reconstructor on my last like 3 runs.

The sword aliens are harder than any of the first 4 bosses IMO. Killed bosses 3 and 4 first try and now I’m lucky to get one boss key in 5.

Any Biome 5 specific tips? My best runs so far have involved running away from big fights that don’t lock the room down.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Hell yeah got the credits for the first time (40-something total deaths). Smashed the last level first try. The artifact that heals you a certain amount per adrenaline level whenever you cause damage is preeeeetty powerful. That plus a pylon gun was honestly maybe too easy at certain points. I finished with an extra life in the bank.

I still don’t know what everyone is so mad about with the “true ending” but i really enjoyed having the little revelation that that song you keep hearing is Don’t Fear The Reaper in what I assume is the basic ending. Time to try to find out how to get the other ending without spoiling it.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

The Walrus posted:

Got through Biome 6! 70 deaths. It's a lot but it was a lot of quick deaths and I would always suicide rather than restart for some reason.

Wait, do people restart runs if they get in trouble instead of just playing until they die or win? That feels wrong to me.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

acksplode posted:

Yeah you're supposed to see them in the regular game, some scout logs even refer to it. It's like a Souls bloodstain thing except you can opt to fight the monster that killed the player. Also some of the corpses become enemies. I think the daily corpses are just a marker to see who died and where?

Exactly ONE time I had this text pop up on my screen saying someone had avenged my corpse and I got a reward of some sort in the form of obolites or a consumable or something. I think I might have briefly been playing during the cursed 1.1.2 patch or whatever it was.

Pretty funny that there’s this whole gameplay aspect that just isn’t in the version of the game we’ve all been playing.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Baggot posted:

I saw posts on Reset saying that using the pylon driver kills the framerate now. Curious if that's true for everyone.

When I first beat Ophion last week I was using a pylon gun and the framerate got reaaaally bad towards the end of the fight with all his attacks on screen plus my pylons. So, that wouldn't be a new thing with the update unless it's more frequent now.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

I don’t understand the “always sprint” love all over this place. Doesn’t anyone want to have the option to not sprint? How hard is it to click the stick when you want to sprint? You don’t need to hold it or anything.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

acksplode posted:

I always want to be running during combat. It takes a moment to click the stick and you have to return it to neutral to do that. And you have to repeat it every time you stop moving. Absolutely not. I'd prefer to be able to toggle auto-run on and off with a button press for platforming, but oh well.

Huh? You definitely don’t have to return the stick to neutral to click it or start sprinting. At all. That would definitely make it annoying but that’s not how it works. The sticks can click totally fine while already being pushed in any direction.

veni veni veni posted:

I really have no love love for any of people's remapped controls, the defaults are by far the best to me.

Also, they made it so the obelite bank now costs 10 ether and only gives you 100 obelites. Dumb as hell.

I like dash on L1 for near-constant aiming but people definitely go too hard with the “never ADS and immediately turn on always sprint” advice. Also jump and dash BOTH on triggers is weird to me because I only use my index fingers for triggers.

That change to the bank SUCKS and is very stupid. It was totally fine before. 100 obols are not worth 10 ether.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Proficiency question. Do the proficiency augments that you get at the beginning of a biome stack with previous proficiency upgrades, or just raise it to a flat baseline? I ask because I usually don't focus on prof much and I still don't have that level 30 trophy. Would it be beneficial to do a whole run focused on upgrading it, or is it something I just need to focus on once I hit biome 6? I don't know if grabbing upgrades in 4 and 5 is redundant or not.

The proficiency pickups at the start of biomes only get you to a specific baseline for whatever biome you’re about to start. The description says something like “provides a varying amount of proficiency.”

Also agreeing that once you beat the game one time it feels insanely easier. I got to the credits in the run right after my first completion.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

If you’re struggling on Biome 5 remember that you don’t have to clear every single room if there’s no lockdown. In my experience there are always several rooms you don’t need to engage with on the non-challenge room paths.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

In Biome one it really pays off to be YOLO as gently caress:
- Don't open chests right away, use the starter pistol for most of the region and come back and open the chests once you have a couple levels of proficiency. Starter Pistol + melee can and should carry you entirely through biome 1 fine.
- Get yourself use to not picking up health right away also - all healing pickups turn into suit upgrades if you're at full health when you pick it up. If you take hits keep pushing through (or only grab the bare minimum you need to keep yourself upright) to the end of the region, go back to Helios, step inside, and nap in the bed to heal up, then go collect a bunch of free resin points.
- Use your Melee much more. If you can single out the rare monsters like the tree dudes, the blade-arm gorilla dudes, and the bigger sometimes shielded wolves and tag them with your sword they will fall over and let you follow up and cut them to death for free. Melee also one-shots most of the chaff enemies and has some invincibility frames attached too, so you can sometimes lunge in on someone through an attack.
- Don't shy away from Malfunctions, just make sure you manage the ones you have and have a plan for clearing them out.

Those should help you get through Biome 1 with minimum fuss and give you a strong lead into Biome 3 where you can then play a lot more cautiously with a bigger health pool and a lot more artifacts/upgrades from world one. Biome 3 keep in mind that once you fight through the temple and raise the bridge the first time it will still be up on subsequent playthroughs so don't be afraid to burn up your resources the first time through.

Just my opinion but I disagree with the first two points here. I don’t think being picky to the point of tediousness with when you pick things up in the very first level is very “yolo” at all.

Aside from the fact that they nerfed the ship heal to discourage people from wasting time like that, it’s just never worth the time it takes to go all the way back to the ship, go into the slow rear end first person ship controls, lay down, heal and then go pick up the resins. You can usually get to full health with one or two pickups and then it’s all resins from there anyway. Also all guns from Biome 1 pretty much suck anyway so no need to be picky with chests either.

It’s gonna pay off way more in the long run to just work on getting better at the game rather than padding your runs out being overly careful about all this stuff. I’d say focus on getting better at killing the enemies, make sure to pick up the money they drop, then use that money to buy stuff that makes you stronger.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Purgatory Glory posted:

Definitely will have me a better time against him using the carbine or the lobber. The pistol has you aiming and clicking the button all while trying to pay attention to what phrike is doing.

I can’t believe people like the glob lobber. I’d seriously rather have a gun from the previous biome pre-efficiency boost than ever pick up a globber (or a pyrocaster or whatever it’s called).

Also after beating the game a couple times and feeling like it was suddenly easy I went away on vacation for 10 days and lost my skills and now I’m dying on Biome 1 holy poo poo.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

People like it because it’s one of the best weapons in the game.

It’s very stinky to me, maybe I need to watch a video of someone using it effectively or something.

Unrelated - has anyone else run into an issue where the DLC outfits never showed up in your game and when you try to even view the digital deluxe version on the PS Store it gives you an error?

I haven’t bothered trying to fix it yet because I was just enjoying playing the game and didn’t want to reinstall just for some outfits, but it’s a little annoying that they’re just not there and I can’t access the option to try to download them.

edit: Also strange because the Hollowseeker was showing up for me in Biome 1 when I started playing, so the game seems to know I got the deluxe version, but I have no outfits.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 1, 2021

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Dumb question, but there are outfits? I got the deluxe version as well but for the guns and items. I never saw anything about outfits.

Ah I just did some research and I'm just wrong. Apparently the outfits are for pre-ordering and not the Digital Deluxe. Totally my mistake. What a ripoff the Digital Deluxe is then.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Cloks posted:

I've been playing an hour or two a day for two weeks and I just can't beat Phrike. I keep getting him down to a third of his third health bar and making some stupid mistakes.

On my last run, I found the boss door right away so I used the starting pistol and took no damage until his third stage - I'm guessing that at this point I just need the RNG to be in my favor but it's frustrating to just keep hitting this wall. Anything I can do besides git gud? The hardest thing for me to dodge is the spiraling ground level purple spheres.

You may already know this but for Phrike and most bosses it helps to not bother aiming down sights with L2 most of the time unless you’re firing off your alternate.

You can circle strafe a lot of his attacks while still firing and safely avoid them unless you need to change directions or he got too much of a head start on you, then you just dodge and continue circle strafing while constantly shooting him.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

I just got the Act 3 ending and literally said “that’s it?” out loud when the credits rolled. Whatever, I love this game. It has the funnest gameplay of anything I’ve played in a long time.

I think it’s interesting how they made a challenging game while going super heavy on auto-aim (and I only ever used the default setting). It makes the controls feel so good and smooth. It never feels like you’re battling with your aim but it also doesn’t feel too easy to fight stuff.

I also came around on the globber. It does rule when it has traits.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

You know that's not it right? Tons more game?

I meant the “secret ending”. Act 3 is getting the fragments.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

henpod posted:

I have PSN credit from my birthday sitting in my account - which will be for either Ratchet, or Returnal. I think returnal will be more interesting, but without a save system it's a no go. I wonder if the game will actually turn out to be quite short if you can make it through without having to re-do areas over and over.

I dunno, I really never had a problem with the “no save” thing at all and I don’t play video games for more than 2.5-3 hours at a time these days. It’s a really overblown issue IMO and it seems like most of the complaining is from people who haven’t played/don’t play the game. I’ve also never had a problem with rest mode. I know that’s just my experience but there’s also a reason they released the game this way. It works fine without saving mid-run.

One you’ve beaten the game, getting to the final boss does become quick because of all the shortcuts and the fact that you’re not babying yourself and tip toeing through the biomes.

Like, Super Mario Bros. didn’t have a save and it was fine that way. This game is like Super Mario Bros. except you unlock items/powers/warp zones that do save.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Geckoagua posted:

I play the game lots, I've lost several runs to updates (or power outages, or someone wants to play RE8, etc.) because the game simply can't keep a snapshot. Returnal is a great game but stop defending incredibly stupid oversights like no transient snapshots/quit and save in TYOOL 2021.

Please explain to me what positive contribution having no snapshots adds to the game outside of "we rushed it", because I just can't seem to get why pausing the game to take a poo poo and having the power flicker should lose me an hour of game time. Maybe it's part of the story??

They started by telling journalists rest mode was their solution to stopping mid runs, and now have a loving manual work around in their patch notes to prevent getting hosed over by their short-sightedness and the normal PS5 configuration (which no other game has a problem with!)

I dunno it’s just how the game works. Some games are games where you save and continue from where you left off and some games are games where you sit down and play from the beginning. Tetris doesn’t have save and quit either. In that way, this game is like Tetris.

Plus rest mode works well enough for taking breaks and if your power is going out enough to ruin your Returnal runs 1 hour in on multiple occasions then that seems like a power issue mainly.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 13, 2021

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Calidus posted:

Do Sunface fragments have a 100% spawn rate, I have spent the last hour hunting one in biome 6 after clearing it.

I missed the Biome 6 fragment several time and wasted a bunch of time because I read something online that said it only spawned in the first part of the level before you drop down to the lower part. That’s not true and you can find it in the second area. You also have to shoot one of those air orbs to jump to it and it’s kind of hidden.

It sucks how people just want to be the first to post a guide for a game nowadays so they get the most ad traffic and will say total inaccurate bullshit.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

ShaneB posted:

The main thing that still kills me is just random purple mobs that just overwhelm me and I have no idea how to properly approach. Any advice besides git gud?

It’s hard to say what specifically could help you the most but I think part of gitting gud is getting in the groove of fighting very deliberately and keeping your aim on the targets as much as you can. Really keep your eye on the enemies and stay one step ahead of their attacks so you can anticipate and appropriately dodge with intention instead of scrambling around trying to react to what they’re doing.

With the flying enemies that can get very annoying, most of them can be stunned, so always shoot the ones that are about to attack you or if it’s too late, get ready to dodge the attack.

On a more obvious note but worth mentioning, pretty much all the big bad enemies have weak points that are highlighted in red when you aim down sights. Always try to be shooting those and not wasting time shooting their protected areas.

Also if you can, just run away sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I mostly mean the purple random boss enemies that aren't the actual bosses, where poo poo goes into lockdown and you die.

But this is probably the best advice, shoot them until they die.

Yeah they pretty much all have weakpoints too iirc.

Also some might disagree but I got into the habit of not bothering with the bonus rooms/teleport rooms that make you fight a malformed guy. If I go to a bonus room and there’s just an empty space with nothing to collect, I just back out to the portal because it’s not worth it to me to fight a giant guy for some consumable or random gun I’m gonna replace or whatever.