Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I am absolutely terrible at these style of games and very much do not track how many runs I’ve been on. Getting to the 2nd or 3rd biome on under 10 runs seems absolutely Herculean to me. I must have died 20 times getting Phrike down, only ventured in the Wastes like 5-6 times.

It me, Hercules!

I picked up the game after seeing some hype and reviews. Started it yesterday and I'm still on my first run at the start of biome 3. I died on both bosses, but had activated the reconstructor and was able to get it second try both times. For #1 I was using a six star shotgun, and for #2 an 8 or 10 star hollow seeker. Both with bonus damage which is obviously the best stat. Had a large heal for the second one as well. Haven't died outside of a boss yet, but nearly ate it at least half a dozen times.

The first biome sucked hard because my tutorial parasite was reduced malignancy chance but you take damage picking up loot. That was a real rear end in a top hat until I got it removed after Phrike. It also only had the beneficial effect like once maybe. I even got space aids from a moderate chance a couple times.

Combat has been pretty fun so far. It is very bullet hell so maybe playing Nier: Automata has paid off? I've been trying to control engagement range and abuse the dash and I guess it's working out. Other thing is doubling back for health items, and loot. Edit: and cover. So much abuse of cover. Also you can see the red enemy indicators on the minimap before the enemies notice you most of the time.

Honestly I'm both super pumped and absolutely terrified of taking my first death because I want to see the new mechanics, but also maybe I've gotten super lucky and my first run is artificially easy somehow?

TehSaurus fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you just skipping every treasure room? I’ve had more than a couple runs end just because the game decided that this treasure room will actually be a high-level super boss who fires multiple attacks off at once and appears to take no damage whatsoever from a Lvl 5 gun.

In general I can totally submit that my positioning and aim aren’t flawless, and I’m certainly closing the gap a little early with some enemies, but I’ve absolutely been destroyed at least a dozen times by what I would consider pure RNG, a death that is truly unavoidable (such as being locked in a room with an enemy you cannot kill), so the idea that anyone has made it through the first two bosses on your first try is just absolutely insane to me.

I've done every optional room I can find with an eye towards accumulating resources. That said I don't think I've run into anything like what you're talking about. I've seen treasure rooms with light beam puzzles and a variety of lovely enemies, but I haven't run into anything with armor that can't be broken. On the hostiles page, I'm missing number 4, 12, 13, and 20. That takes me up to 24 where things get real sparse. The key here might be the grenade alt fire as it seems to take down certain types of shields?

I have nearly eaten it several times now in biome 3 but just found the reconstructor and am up to 200% health!

Can't wait to get owned and then faceplant 50 times in biome one since I spent all my good karma already!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lmao I thought my epic first run was at an end when I got smashed in a containment room but nope, got reconstructed and killed those jerks and now Nemesis down. I'm shaking holy poo poo.

I hope this didn't break anything!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

RatHat posted:

So in the 3rd area I just got wrecked by a room with 3 sentients in it. Any tips?

I find when I'm in an encounter where I'm getting hit too much if I focus less on shooting and more on movement that will usually turn it around.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I finally died like two or three times! Current run is on biome 5. I am starting to suspect that my awesome first run had some unfortunate side effects. Not least is that I just straight up missed a bunch of exposition around the whole rebirth thing. I think I might be missing an ether spending option too, but I'm not totally sure yet.

The atmosphere is pretty incredible! It's creepy, but not in a way that I get to freaked out to play. That's usually a problem for me with something like this. It looks and sounds amazing too. Thanks goons for getting me hyped I guess!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I definitely didn't come in here talking about my crazy ace run so that people would think I'm the best at games. I really hope it didn't come off that way or make anyone feel bad. There was an enormous amount of luck involved. I'm pretty sure I was on a single pixel of integrity like half a dozen times. I think some other things going for a first run are fewer garbage items and weapons in the pool. A lot of what's available seems kind of garbage but I suspect a lot of that is my RPG hoarder instincts at play.

I had a really good act 2 run wiped overnight in patch-ocalypse. I had a few more deaths afterwards and then got a good run started. Went into the next boss on the list with 2 small heals, 2 big heals, not to mention an astronaut. That's where I really think I started to understand that the boss fights are all about just having a deep health pool because it was a pretty comfortable fight at that point.

On parasites I can also throw in that proficiency penalties aren't really that big of a deal. A weapon with a few bonus pips of damage and good perks is worth more than like, 6+ stars. I definitely love the buff that gives you a shield when you pick up resin. That one makes cleansing resin a much better value.

Anyway game is still good! Looking forward to seeing what other surprises it has in store.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Aidan_702 posted:

Biome 4 boss done!! I want to keep going but need to stop soon because this is a lot of pressure on my heart

Man that is over of the coolest fights. The build up and the actual encounter are both so amazing. Some of the scout logs afterwards are amazing as well!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

After unlocking the Mountain Summit portal in Biome 2, I’m enjoying fully clearing B1 and the desert way, way more than I was enjoying Biome 2’s mountain temple. Really hoping to down Ixion today and make it to B3.

I'm enjoying following your journey. Give that bastard what for, etc.

I do think the change to the ship bed is good for me, personally. I was in the mode of doing as much of the biome as I could, without picking up any health drops, until I was nearly dead, and then going back to heal and before picking everything up as resin. It was extremely tedious and I hated it even as I was doing it. Limiting that to a single instance per loop will be an improvement for me I think.

For my own journey, I found three of the sun fragments. Looking forward to finding the rest and seeing the result!

Also I've had fun just picking up any guns that I don't have perks for and leveling those up. Some of the weapon perks are so powerful it is nuts, and I feel like that is the real permanent progress that you carry over between runs. Recently I found some rifles with high caliber and I'm not sure how actually good they are, but it does fell pretty great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Quote is not edit!