Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'll commit to a minimum of 13 including Fran Challenges

Right off the bat I have a question about whether a movie "counts": Gods and Monsters, the James Whale biopic.
Is that horror-relevant enough? I've been curious to watch it for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

1: Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971)

An aspiring musician is stalked by a strange masked figure.
The movie has a rich variety of characters, all with their own quirks and distinct appearances. I was initially irritated when the movie introduced the stereotypically gay private detective, but his role turned out to be bigger than I expected and I'd have been fine with that character if he had a better VA. The dubbing is very hit and miss throughout.
I liked the music. There's a lot of jazzy and prog rocky stuff here. If you make your main character a musician it's good to put the effort into the music.

The actual mystery is a bit of a letdown. They make no real effort to hide the killer has a woman's voice, so that narrows it down to two suspects.
One suspect has hints here and there that there's something off with them, the other doesn't. But this is a giallo so I feared there's be an unsatisfying resolution.
me: look movie, it's ok to lay down hints that pay off. You don't need to do a stupid twist for the sake of having a twist
movie: Aha! I did the stupid twist! You didn't expect that did you?

Not a top-tier Argento, but I had a good time with it. It's got his signature style.

2: Gods and Monsters (1998)

Ian McKellen is retired horror director James Whale. His health is failing and he lives with his housekeeper and doesn't have much to do with his time until he befriends his handsome new gardener, Clayton.

McKellen's performance is what makes the film. He radiates dignity and respectability until suddenly he's being outrageous or stricken with despair. Lyn Redgrave also adds a lot to the film as Hanna. She brings a lot of humour in the way she is so disapproving but also so affectionate of "Mr Jimmy".

There's a scene I liked where Clayton persuades his bar friends to watch Bride of Frankenstein and they laugh at it. Whale asks if they laughed and Clayton denies it, to which Whale says "that's a pity. People are so serious nowadays"

An issue with biopics is they always have to take some creative licence to make a satisfying story. Well here, the core of the story - the relationship between Whale and Clayton - is pure fiction. Clayton never existed.
It's an engaging drama and I would give it a general recommendation.

Special guest star: the boom mic

Competed: 2
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 1, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

3: Alice, Sweet Alice (1972)

Creepy kid film!
Little Brooke Shields gets murdered and suspicion grows on her bratty and awful older sister, Alice.
I love the killer's appearance with the raincoat and translucent mask.
It's heavy with catholic themes and imagery, which is interesting. The twist of it being the old lady punishing sinners honestly did surprise me. Alice was just lovely enough to be a believable red herring but also a realistic kid.
Paula Sheppard is good as the title character and I'm a little surprised to find she had no acting career after this.
It's an interesting, well crafted proto-slasher

Competed: 3
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters; Alice, Sweet Alice

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely wouldn't have made it past that siren song myself.

It's a reverse siren song, don't resist it!

4: Witchfinder General (1968)

Price playing against type here by playing an evil guy. I'm not really joking either, this is nothing like what I'm used to seeing in a Price movie. He's a loathsome monster with none of the usual humour and winks. For 1968, this is a really grim, brutal film full of rape, torture, screams and burning.
It's beautifully shot on locations in England, making use of grand old historic buildings. Interior sets and costumes are great. Scenes where our Roundhead protagonist rides a galloping horse with heroic music like an adventure movie contrast strongly with the torture and misery scenes. I'm not sure how to feel about very last scene where Richard is ultimately denied his revenge and he's screaming and Sara's screaming and I guess they all live unhappily ever after. It's frustrating, but maybe that's the point. There is no justice in this time period.
This is a really good film, but not one to pick if you're looking for fun times with Vincent Price.
The English Civil War is an undermined topic for movies

Competed: 4
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

5: Street Trash (1987)

A shop owner finds a case of old booze and sells it to the local homeless who melt.

Production values are much better than I expected and the melting effects are really good and gross as they should be. It's pretty funny.
I'm not sure what, if any, social commentary it's trying to make. Aside from the two brothers, the homeless are presented very unsympathetically (gang rapists). The first kill has a homeless guy melt away into a toilet, which ok visual commentary on how society sees the homeless maybe, but it's also played for laughs, as is the suffering of the homeless in general (eg the penis scene)
OTOH mainstream society as represented by the business owners and cop are also unsympathetic and callous.
It's a fun movie, but there's a meanness to it
The director was only like 21 when he made this which is remarkable

Competed: 5
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

6: Cannibal Holocaust (1980)

This is one of the most infamous "video nasties" so I figured it was time to check it out
I looked at the runtime of the copy on Prime UK and it was a few minutes shorter than the "official" length so I figured it was the cut with the animal violence removed. It was not. I don't wanna see that poo poo. Why is Amazon even allowed to show a cut that to this day is not BBFC certified? Aside from the real animal cruelty, it's also probably the most sexually violent movie I've ever seen. Just full of extremely graphic, bloody, sexual attacks against women.

The structure was interesting. I'd heard it described as the first "found footage" film, but that's only part of it. The first half is the professor and his crew looking for the missing filmmakers and I was surprised that they all make it back and then the Prof pieces together what happened from the safety of New York. The "who are the real savages?" aspect was weak. There's very little build up or motivation for the filmmakers becoming sadistic monsters so they don't come across as a product of western society, but an aberration.
There was some catharsis to be had from these awful people getting what they deserved and the film was well made for what it is, but I did not have a good time watching this. It made me want to pick a new hobby.

Competed: 6
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 6, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Breach pissed me off. I love a low budget sci-fi horror, but it was so lazy and uninteresting. It looked like the sets of Red Dwarf with the lights turned way down and obnoxious colour grading.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

7: C.H.U.D (1984)

You don't see toxic waste in movies anymore. It was everywhere in the 80s, especially in the sewers, where in this movie it's turning homeless people into cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers.
Unlike Street Trash, it's sympathetic to the homeless, and one of the main characters runs a soup kitchen. The main characters are all likeable and this is a fun movie, if not a deep one. Cameo appearance by a young John Goodman.
I don't have a lot else to say about it, but if you want an 80s mutant monster movie you could do worse than C.H.U.D

Competed: 7
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

8: Raw Force (1982)

Hitler is kidnapping prostitutes to sell to evil monks who use the power of cannibalism to resurrect the corpses of dead martial arts masters. Starring Cameron Mitchell.
The fight scenes were surprisingly good, especially the ones with the character "Chin". The main cast are all distinct with well defined personalities.
There's kung fu. There are zombies. There are decapitations. There's cannibalism. There's an absurd amount of nudity. The monks do a Dr Evil group laugh. Hitler gets eaten by piranhas.
It's played straight enough for all this to work, it never gets annoyingly "wacky".
It's sleazy, but it's a wholesome sort of sleazy where it never crosses the line and stops being fun.
This was everything I'd hoped for. Wonderful trash.

Competed: 8
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

9: In Search of Darkness Part 2

I watched this in small chunks over the past week or so.
It's the same as the first one. Some prominent horror names and some internet people like the angry videogame nerd talk about 80s horrors. They rattle through them, spending 2-5 minutes per movie and it's 4.5 hours long.
The main problem is they shot their load in the first one and now most of the American movies they talk about are C-list or lower. There are several movies the guests have nothing positive to say about at all, they just shrug and say "yeah that was a stinker". On the plus side, it did force them to talk about Italian horror which was conspicuously absent from Part 1.
There's no reason it needed to be this long except I suppose crowdsourced projects require quantity. There were a million names of backers in the credits.
It doesn't have any great insights to the horror genre. It's something to put on in the background while you do laundry.

Competed: 9
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

For 6 does it need to be a tie in for a specific movie or just set in that world eg Alien Isolation/Friday 13th the game?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

10: The Crazies (2010)
FC 2. Sometimes They Come Back

It's the same premise as the original, people get infected by a bio weapon and go crazy. This time the craziness always manifests as violence, whereas in the original a lot of people just went ditzy and vague. Could have done with more violence honestly, that combine harvester was a terrible tease.
The original wasn't a top-tier Romero, but one thing I really liked was how the authorities were portrayed as very human, arrogant and incompetent. Just a bunch of total fuckups. Here, the government is efficient, all powerful and all seeing, which would be a fine direction to go except it keeps raising questions on the subject of "if you have such amazing surveillance powers, how are you loving this up so bad?". Showing us the decision makers loving things up would have helped.

The cast are fine, it's well shot (if a little dark during some fight scenes). There's some tense moments.
It was OK. Competent. Solid C+

Competed: 10
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

11: Tigers are not Afraid (2017)
FC5. Cinco

It's dark and bleak and beautiful. Fantastic young cast. The way it weaves the fantasy aspects into this dangerous world for children is very reminiscent of Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth and Devil's Backbone. I looked up what the Director, Isa Lopez, was working on next and according to wikipedia, Del Toro is producing her next film: a werewolf western. Well I'm interested.
The monkey's paw aspect was played subtly but effectively and the way it concluded with Estrella wishing away the scar on Shine's face was really shocking and hearbreaking. I could only stare into the middle distance when the credits played.
This is a great film and I highly recommend.

Competed: 11
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

12: Trilogy of Terror (1975)
FC12. Cavalcade of Creepiness

Karen Black plays four roles in three shorts. The first has some very middle aged "teenagers" and amazingly ugly 70s fashion. The second has the most obvious plot twist ever, there's no one who wouldn't see that ending coming after five minutes. The third was the most fun, like a very cheap Chucky movie. Someone's just waggling this puppet about and making growling noises as the camera bounces about.
Karen Black is good enough to carry all three shorts
It's a made for TV movie from 1975 and with that in mind it's good enough for what it is, but I wouldn't say this is one to seek out.

Competed: 12
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

13: Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savini (2015)
FC10. Behind the Mask

I love Savini's work (who doesn't after all?). I was hoping for an in depth look at how he made his creations, but that's a minor part of this doc, which focuses on his personal life story. He's lived a pretty full life: youngest of 6 much older siblings; combat photographer in Vietnam; multiple failed marriages. There are interviews from the likes of Romero, Sid Haig and Danny Trejo as well as his family members.
It was interesting enough but I don't have much to say about it.

Competed: 13
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10

13 new-to-me movies completed!
I'll endeavour to complete the remaining Fran Challenges as well

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

14: Goodnight Mommy (2014)
FC7: Mother's Day

Twin boys Elias and Lukas begin to think their mother has been replaced by an imposter after she returns from surgery, covered in bandages, and acts cold and different from before.
It's hard to talk about this without spoilers so
From the very first family conversation, it's telegraphed strongly that Lukas is a figment of Elias' imagination. This is done repeatedly but never explicitly confirmed until the very end of the movie, so until the last act I was bracing myself for a double-twist - that Lukas was real and being neglected by a mother that had something wrong with her. There was no double-twist, but the movie certainly surprised me. I was not prepared for the innocent cruelty of an insane child. The tension slowly but constantly increases until it becomes almost unbearable by the end.

If you like psychological horror that goes to very dark places, I highly recommend this one.

Competed: 14
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

15: FC1 Short Cuts
The Hug
5m
Showbiz Pizza Bear is a child eating monster. It's a neat idea and well made. It's very short, but it gets the job done. A longer version could be interesting, but I'm talking ~15 minutes not 88 and staring Nick Cage

Ripped
12.5m
Creepy late night gym. It's mildly funny.

Box Fort
15m
Two sisters build a big box fort in their home, but there's something creepy in there. The premise reminded me of Dave Made A Maze. It's quite good and there's a cute dog that lives

The Umbrella Factory and Jack the Ripper
5m
Animated double bill. The first one is the monkey's paw tale. The art style's ok, it's going for a sort of Darkest Dungeon look but it's not that ambitious. The narrator is decent. The second is a one minute monologue from an immortal Jack the Ripper

Alexia
9m
I'm Friends with a Ghost On Facebook!
After losing a loved one, a man has trouble letting go and removing her from his social media.
This is a good one. Nice creepy atmosphere

Downstairs
17.5m
A night security guard is warned not to go into the basement.
It's long enough to have fun with the secondary characters. Creepy things are glimpsed in the background and things ramp up until the conclusion. Classic spooky basement stuff.

Suckablood
6.5m
A fairytale poem about a monster that kills thumb suckers.
This is my favourite of the bunch. It's stylish, well crafted, dark and fun. The narrator is great. It's cute and very spoopy.

[total: 70.5 minutes]

16: Friday 13th (2009)
FC3 3. Camp BLOOD

Two things surprised me. One, it's surprisingly dated. I guess 2009 is a long time ago now. Doesn't feel it
We're still in the obnoxious dude bro era of 2000s horror
The other thing is how much of a standard Friday movie this is. It's got a bit more budget, but otherwise fits right in with the old formula and there was no need for this to be a remake rather than another entry.
I don't have a huge affection for the Friday films but I'm curious what the consensus is among the fans. To me it was just safe, bland entertainment.

Competed: 16
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

17: The Lure (2015)
FC11. Myths & Legends

I chose it because someone brought it up in reference to this challenge.

Two mermaids, Golden and Silver, join the surface world and perform at a nightclub. They eat people. Also this is a musical.
I like that it kept in with the Hans Christian Anderson mythology of kill the prince or turn to sea foam. It's a very sexually charged film. Themes of immigration and exploitation. The mermaid monsters are simultaneously dangerous and vulnerable. It's an unusual world - 1980s Poland where mermaids are a novelty but no one seems surprised at their existence. There's another sea dude called Triton in a metal band.
It's certainly something. Probably the best Polish horror musical about man eating mermaids I've seen. It's weird and compelling and I'll probably be thinking this one over in my mind for a while.

Competed: 17
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

18: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
FC6. Playing With Power

I watched this because it was about the only videogame movie on any of my streaming services. I saw the first two movies way back when they first came out, only vaguely remember them, and haven't seen any of the others.
The story is even dumber than I expected. Basic idea is the Umbrella big wigs wiped out the whole human race so a few thousand of them could Noah's Arc through the apocalypse and have the world to themselves afterwards. They don't even freeze any labourers as far as we're told. Your genius plan is to go from living a rich person lifestyle to that of a peasant tilling the soil in a wasteland.
I'll give it credit for having a recap at the start so I was more or less up to speed on this convoluted mess full of subplots about clones with prescience abilities

It's an ugly movie. Everything inside is dark, everything outside is brown. The editing is annoying, with shakycam and rapid cuts that at times are like Edgar Wright's comedy cuts done seriously and for way too long.
The main character Alice is a blank slate. She's uninteresting and she can punch holes in monsters so I never felt she was in danger. The supporting characters are just nothing.

e: I just remembered there's a ticking clock scenario that makes no sense at all. There are only a handful of survivor settlements in the world and Alice has exactly - to the second - 48 hours to release the anti-zombie formula or they'll be wiped out. After she smashes it she says it will take years for the winds to carry it around the world.

Charmless trash from a hack.

Competed: 18
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11; Resident Evil: the Final Chapter FC6

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 19, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

19: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
FC4. Movie of the Month

Classic Robert Louis Stevenson tale of a scientist who believes he can separate the good and base aspects of the human psyche.
Hyde has a bigger spoken role than I expected. They take time to establish what a terrible person he is. He's in heavy makeup with big teeth, but he's very much an evil person not an animal unaware of what he's doing. Fredric March is very good as both Jekyll and Hyde.
When we're first introduced to the character of Ivy, I smiled as she revealed a bare knee, imagining monocles popping in the 1930s cinema, but that plot thread went so much darker than I expected. The film is more about human drama than monster shenanigans.
One thing that's missing is the supposed relationship between Jekyll and Hyde. Jekyll's friends believing the terrible Hyde was blackmailing him into providing money and protection only for the truth to be so much worse really added a lot to the original story (and some adaptations like the 20s one).
Transformation scenes are good for the era and the sets and costumes are good. I found the pronunciation of Jekyll as "Jeekyl" a little distracting.
We're surely due another major adaptation of this. Most recent attempt to use these characters I can think of was the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and they deserve better.

Competed: 19
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11; Resident Evil: the Final Chapter FC6; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) FC4

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

20: Deep Red (1975)
FC8. Dead & Buried

Rest in piece, Daria Nicolodi (19 June 1950 – 26 November 2020)
A musician witnesses the murder of a psychic medium and takes it upon himself to investigate.
Classic Giallo stuff with a black gloved killer. It's a gorgeous looking film with a kickass Goblin score. Nicely atmospheric with the spooky children's melody. The dubbing is better than normal. Some gnarly kills, especially the last one. Varied cast of characters that all held my interest. The twists and turns and red herrings were done with relative restraint - the killer's reveal felt like it was set up ahead of time, which is not always the case in Giallo's I've seen.
Enjoyed this one a great deal, one of Argento's finest.

Competed: 20
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11; Resident Evil: the Final Chapter FC6; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) FC4; Deep Red FC8

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

21: The Phantom Carriage (1921)
FC13. Horrible Holidays
Happy New Year

The last person to die before the year ends has to serve as Reaper for the next year. As the midnight bells toll, Drunkard David Holm is killed and his soul is greeted by last year's Reaper, his old friend Georges.
What follows is David's life story in flashbacks. We see the good times and the tragedies and mistakes that brought him to the point where we find him and this retelling forms the basis for his redemption. I was reminded a lot of A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life.
The structure is interesting. We open on a sickly woman calling for David to come see her, like all her hopes depend on him but we only slowly learn why during the course of the story.

The ghostly effects are very good for the time and the music on the copy I saw (from Criterion) was well made.
It was I've heard a big influence on Ingmar Bergman's Seventh Seal. He also cast the lead actor, Victor Sjöström, in Wild Strawberries.
I liked this film a lot.

Here's Johnny!

Competed: 21
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11; Resident Evil: the Final Chapter FC6; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) FC4; Deep Red FC8; The Phantom Carriage FC13

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

22: Psycho Goreman (2020)

A little girl finds a gem that controls an intergalactic warlord.
This seems a polarising film here. The girl is for sure incredibly obnoxious, and this is a deliberate choice. It worked for me. If they'd had a more typical movie child protagonist (eg Eliot from ET) they just wouldn't stand out enough among the gore and goofiness of this movie. In fact, as I type this I wonder if that was the whole point of including the brother character, who is very passive and a running joke is P.G. being unable to remember his name.
There's no emotional weight to the movie, it's all very surface level.

I liked the monster costumes and effects, which had a charming "low budget but they put effort in" quality. The humour mostly worked. The pitch I'd heard was "what if Power Rangers was R-rated" and that's fairly accurate.
I found it a fun, light movie

Competed: 22
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11; Resident Evil: the Final Chapter FC6; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) FC4; Deep Red FC8; The Phantom Carriage FC13; Psycho Goreman

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

23: Skull: The Mask

An ancient mask is inhabited by an Incan god who possesses some crime scene dude and goes around ripping people's guts out as sacrifices, I guess so the god can manifest in our world but I don't recall that being explicitly stated.
The plot is super convoluted. There's a 1940s military experiment, an evil corporation, a priest who kicks arse for the lord, a child abduction ring and a cop with a chequered past. There's a lot of threads for a not very long film.

The subtitles were strangely off at times. Mostly they were fine but just on occasion it felt like it was done via google translate
The gore is nicely done and I really like the monster design. The movie is fun and over the top, but takes itself seriously enough. It's not Psycho Goreman. As a gory demon monster movie it's pretty good.

Competed: 23
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11; Resident Evil: the Final Chapter FC6; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) FC4; Deep Red FC8; The Phantom Carriage FC13; Psycho Goreman; Skull: the Mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks as always to Fran for this challenge. My final ranking:

Great:

Tigers are not Afraid
Goodnight Mommy
Deep Red
Alice Sweet Alice
Witchfinder General
The Lure