Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

In for at least 15. Mostly giallo and bracket thread films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My 13 (to begin with, we'll see how it goes):

Halloween 2
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
The Haunting
The Legend of Hell House
Under the Shadow
Tremors
Sleepaway Camp
The Innkeepers
Hausu
It Follows
Final Girls
From Beyond
Tombs of the Blind Dead

All first watchings.

drat that's a solid list of firsts. I haven't seen Under the Shadow or Legend of Hell House, though I've heard the latter is a solid classic. Everything else there is pretty much horror gold in the exception of Final Girls, which I enjoyed but I know it wasn't the most popular flick around these parts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

1. Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971) dir. Aldo Lado
A very cool giallo thriller. Perhaps a little slow at times, but brimming with tense moments and a good amount of political/social intrigue.

This doesn't mimic the colorful giallos by Argento and Bava, instead it's filmed in a more sterile approach, but like Argento, Bava, Fulci, feels dream like. There's a strong sense of oppression looking over the film, the way buildings tower over characters and how the web of deceit and corruption affect the underclass. The gimmick itself plays into the themes of the movie quite well, and once it clicks I enjoyed the movie that much more.

The finale is amazing and is built up wonderfully throughout the film.
A hidden giallo gem in my opinion.

4/5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

These VS releases always look so tempting, but then I read reviews of the actual films and remember that they're probably not worth dropping $30 on. (though that Home Grown Horrors set is still calling my name...)

They have a sale coming up at the end of May, I recommend dabbling in a few titles you barely know anything about to get a taste of their releases. It's a top tier release house imo, up there with Arrow. They also sell other labels like AGFA which has some neat stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

The only VS titles I own are Christmas Evil and Body Melt, and I'm impressed with both. Any suggestions for the safest blind buys? I do like the looks of Cthulhu Mansion.

e: feel free to take this conversation to the physical media thread.

Action usa for non horror is a blast. I really liked mountaintop motel massacre for something offbeat and low budget as hell. Taking tiger mountain is a neat artsyovie with bill Paxton, tho I warn you that contains him getting a real bj if u prefer to avoid stuff like that. Liquid sky and fade to black are great. I also really liked disconnected, star time, and psychos in love. If you want some titles that are a bit more well known Putney scope, ice cream man, and hell comes to frogtown are solid options.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

You can't go wrong with their blaxploitation releases either though I've only watched dolemite so far to be upfront

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

2. Trauma (1978) dir. by León Klimovsky
Solid little giallo. The twist is pretty obvious, but the plot beats are still pretty interesting and the setting is gorgeously shot. I liked the interactions between the two leads, and the climax was an alright twist on a "psycho" style motivation caused by, well, trauma from another person's abuse.

A little slow in places and like most giallos the acting can be iffy at times. There's some really funny dialogue at times though.

3.5/5
--
3.The Killer Is One of Thirteen (1973) dir. by Javier Aguirre
Very slow but I enjoyed a lot of the slower bits early on. The first night dinner scene is great. A great setting and some superb costuming. All the ladies clothing had wonderful colors and great senses of personality.

The veneer of civility masking over people with various hidden troubles, from drug crimes to adultery made for some neat plot beats even if it's slow to get to those destinations. For giallo and slasher fans the murders take ages to get to so I can understand being bored. Honestly it was the last act for me where the movie kinda became more dull, which is when it did finally settle into standard giallo affair.

That said I enjoyed my time with the cast and the final scene is solid and made for a cool closing shot.

3/5
--
4. The Police Are Blundering in the Dark (1975)
Great title, mediocre movie. It's very pretty, the sets and countryside are beautiful, something that seems a bit of a theme for my viewing today (Forgotten Gialli Vol 1 from Vinegar Syndrome). It's sleazy and has some bloody moments but it also drags at times and doesn't really go anywhere different than a lot gialli. It had potential with the sci-fi element.

I'm a sucker for the genre so I ended up liking it. There's always enough striking imagery in these to keep me entertained. If you're a giallo fan you might feel the same.

2.5/5

Movie Count - 4/15

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

4. The Demoniacs (1974)
dir. Jean Rollin
blu-ray

A 4 star movie dragged down by the gratuitous sexual violence

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

5. The Girl in Room 2A (1974) dir. by William Rose
What a cool little giallo with some things I did not expect tossed in. The lead is great, I loved her backstory and the use of dreams tying it and the mystery closer. Frank is an interesting character and I liked that he's torn by what's happening, his death was pretty brutal.

It's a decent story about violence enforced morality and control albeit a bit simple. The religious connotations were a nice touch.

Some sleaze, blood, a cult, and an exciting finale make this a great time for giallo fans.

3.5/5
--
6. The French Sex Murders (1972) dir. Ferdinando Merighi
This has entertaining moments, like the Bogart Detective for no reason, but it is mostly boring. Has no real style and what style it does try fails. The kill scenes doing the freeze frame but changes color thing just felt unnecessary and an afterthought.

But it's not all bad, there's a very goofy kill, Bogart, and the killer reveal is memorable.

2/5
--
7. My Dear Killer (1972) dir. Tonino Valerii
Enjoyed this a lot. The opening scene is pretty brutal and sets up a pretty fun mystery. I really liked the lead, George Hilton, and his Detective work is well done. I got a good laugh from him making the hanging body sway to illustrate why it was a murder.

Theres some good twists and turns, the Morricone score is cool as hell, and there's solid set pieces.

3.5/5

Movie Count - 7/15

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm not big on documentaries so this part here appeals to me, but I can't seem to phrase it in a way Google understands and all the ones I can think of (Diary of the Dead, One Cut) I've already seen. Any recommendations?

Found footage 3d

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

8. The Cellar (1989) dir. by Kevin Tenney
A good little slice of monster fun set in rural TX. It's basically an 80s kids monster movie, and I am here for that. The monster has some neat lore dealing with the western colonialism, but is a bit more concerned with the family dynamic.

Largely a well meaning father with some stereotypical and toxic ideas of being a man. Not all bad views mind you, like scaring his boss and getting fired in order to stand up for his son. The climax dives into the dad's worst side though and while it brushes along a little too quick I do think he's the one that learns a lesson, listen to your kid and deal with your issues about showing emotion properly.

The kid actor is pretty good and has some solid line reads. I wish his friendship with the old man who knows whats up had more time though. Their little moments together were pretty great.

This isn't going to be anyone's favorite 80s monster movie, but it's still a pretty fun trip.

I watched the directors cut and not the producers cut.

3/5
--
9. Autopsy (1975) dir. by Armando Crispino
A unique and moody giallo. Maybe a little convoluted at times, but it also helps with the heatstroke vibe of the films atmosphere. The Morricone score certainly helps in that regard too. Using voices/whispering in the score really adds to the feel of the whole thing. The movie is very strange, like that opening is pretty wild. I thought the use of the solar spot footage was interesting, adding a bit more mood at times.

The lead was wonderful, selling her demeanor and sense of fear very well. All her male counterparts are your typical misogynist scumbags, though I admit to finding the rich bf a bit charming at times, he has a wonderful smile.

Gives away the reveal a little too soon I thought, but it makes for an exciting conclusion.

Definitely a higher up entry on the giallo tier list for me.

3.5/5

Movie Count - 9/15

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

10. Murder Mansion (1972) dir. by Francisco Lara Polop
A neat Spanish giallo. Decent characters and the setting of the old mansion and foggy cemetery were cool. The opening and the finale are both the strongest points but there's enough in the middle to keep me entertained. I like the supernatural leanings of this one as well.

Just a bit too slow in the middle, something I've grown accustomed to with these.
2.5/5
--
11. Crazy Desires of a Murderer (1977) dir. by
This was a lot more fun than my last giallo. The cast and costuming is great, the music is cool, and there's some excellent gore scenes. It's also incredibly sleazy and alcohol fueled, which is something I really like out of these movies haha. The detective, an Agatha Christie style investigator, made for a wonderful addition about halfway through and carried it over the finish line. Not every subplot goes places, but the drug smuggling one was pretty good.

An excellent blend of whodunnit and euro goth makes this worth a watch for giallo fans.
3/5
--

That finishes off my Giallo box sets so I'll be switching gears to some low grade American horror.

Movie Count - 11/15

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I should’ve mentioned that too. When that part started I had my finger hovering over the fast forward button, but just like the rest of the film it’s like an inversion of what you’d normally expect. But yeah, it’s still a rape scene regardless of how it plays out.

yeah its a pretty weird scene. really dug the movie though

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

16. Don't Panic (1988)

I love how the main character wears jammies for a decent chunk of run time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

12. Fatal Exam (1990) dir. by Jack Snyder
At times it achieves an excellent atmosphere, but the movie is so long and padded with extraneous moments that it kills most of the tension. Some of the characters get some decent lines and genuinely funny moments, but that doesn't make up for the sheer amount of conversational scenes and the editing to show everyone reacting to some dialogue or the stuff like showing the leads every step from the mansion to his car and back again.

That said, there was still enough for me to enjoy. The story is actually pretty solid if a bit standard fare these days. We get some good gore moments and the dopey grim reaper outfits work even if silly. I do think there were too many moments of them hitting people with the blunt end of the scythes though, took some menace out of the attacks. I did enjoy the demon design and execution, well done for what I assume was a 5 dollar budget.

This one's for the deeper slasher/horror fans though, won't offer much for people expecting competent film making haha.

2.5/5
--
13. Beyond Dream’s Door (1989) dir. by Jay Woelfel
Low budget flick that punches weigh above its weight class. While the writing can be a bit hokey at times, along with the acting, it's still incredibly charming and an effective horror movie.

The movie uses the dream logics so well. Grounded moments often take off into nightmarish scenes that remind me of the original NoES but without the baggage of having a slasher killer. Some of the effects are really great and you can see almost every dollar spent on screen.

It still shows its low budget at times, a few shots pushing the technical limits or showing the monster a bit too much stuff like that. It more than makes up for its shortcomings though.

I also think the ending was great.
4/5
Movie Count - 13/15

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

E.G.G.S. posted:

21. Army of the Dead (2021)
Snyder back in good opening credit sequence form. I fully embrace replacing problematic sex pest actors with a dry wise cracking Tig Notaro from now on.

.5/5

The new Chris plummer

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

14. Winterbeast (1991) dir. by Christopher Thies
This low budget horror is quite the weird trip. The death scenes come at random intervals, the acting is a mess, poor sound quality, and the effects are all over the place.

It is, however, a funny movie and managed to have a bit of commentary on colonialism and capitalism. An all white cast is surrounded by Native American imagery, which they largely ignore even after learning the demons haunting their town were previously contained by the Native Americans that once inhabitated the area. Even in the end the protagonists only stop one of the demons and immediately go back to joking like everything's fine. Then there's the best character, the Wild Goose Lodge owner. The actor is wonderful and his unhinged smiles while wearing that tacky suit are gunna stay with me a while. He fights against the lead, demanding things stay open even as the disappearances peak.

That said, it does feel mostly like a vehicle to showcase an array of special effects skills the creators had been learning. Some work better than others, but it is still a lot of fun to see a variety stop motion creations, wound effects, and monster men.

Give it a watch, horror friends.

4/5
__

15. Grave Secrets (1989) dir. by Donald P. Borchers
Rather straight forward but well executed haunting movie. David Warner has a fun bit part and the rest of the cast is pretty solid but nothing too special by any means.

It plays out the plot pretty well, the reveal is interesting and how they solve the mystery is different than your typical "expel the ghosts!" type magic stuff.

The VinSyn transfer looks and sounds really good and another good entry into the VSA label.

3/5
__

16. Army of the Dead (2021) dir. by Zack Snyder
Enjoyed this a lot, ZS, as usual opens strong with a great credits sequence. The cast is well rounded, plenty of gore, and he plays around with the story in some fun ways. I thought it looked good for the most part but I'm not entirely sure the depth of focus stuff worked 100%. I also enjoyed the various little unspoken details he throws in to build a more unique zombie setting.

The story itself is pretty straightforward, but there's some not so subtle jabs at how crappy America is, like how the quarantine camp is place dissidents can be sent to on a whim. The president's reasoning for wanting to nuke Vegas on the 4th of July was funny as hell.

Dieter and Vanderohe share some of my favorite moments, but I felt most the cast gets a moment or two to shine. Martin was such a bastard and Dillahunt played the part well.

I think this review dives into some of the film's deeper aspects that I'm overlooking and wanted to share it, good stuff.
https://boxd.it/1RKUeb
4/5

Movie Count - 16/15

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I had never heard the term snogging before and laughed really good at it. The movie was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I've unstickied it but i'll leave it open a few days