Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I'll go ahead and take the May challenge of 13 movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1. Fright Night (1985) Fran Challenge Playing with Power

My first movie is just a go to for me for great horror. Everything about this movie is awesome. Chris Sarandon ( Susan Sarandons one time husband) plays one of the best vampires ever put on the big screen. Roddy McDowell is fantastic in it and never loses a step. The acting is great, cinematography. And that synth sound track loving rocks. Everything about this movie is just perfect.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 24, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

2. Fright Night Part 2 (1988)

Honestly they should have stopped at the first Fright Night. Roddy McDowell returns and is this time a more "seasoned" vampire hunter, Charlie also returns but this time has come to believe that vampires are just a fiction of his mind and the truth was that his neighbor was a serial killer. Naturally this comes into conflict when a new vampire comes into town. Honestly I really liked this movie . It doesn't reach the heights of the original but its got its own charm and some groovy special effects in it. Also it interesting because this time Charlie is the target.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

3. Night of the Creeps (1986)

" Should you be telling me this?"

This is a fun movie. SEt on a college campus it starts off super strong with a alien ship jettisoning something into the atmosphere, then it switches to black and white which is a weird choice after having things in color. The two main characters accidently let loose a eperimented on body that releases the "slugs" which animate dead things. Tom Atkins is in it as a grizzled police officer that tells the most awesome story and monologue you'll probably hear in a horror movie . Its goopy , its got great practical effects, and its got a great fun atmosphere. Worth the watch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

4. Return of the Living Dead (1985)

"Send More Paramedics"

Quentiessential 1980s horror comedy. If you've not seen this then what are you doing ? Go watch it right now. Stay for the goopiest zombies and Linnea Quigley graveyard dance. I love this movie everything about it is perfect. The Zombies, The humour, the music. It has probably one of the best kicking rad sound tracks of any zombie movie ever made. Anyway its a perfect horror comedy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

5. Return of the Living Dead Part 2 (1988)

It is just not as good as the first one. It still has some worth as a zombie movie , but for overall gore , special effects etc.. this sequel just doesn't live up to the first one at all. It also has a really annoying kid actor in it who I hate every time I see him on screen. It's a lot more goofier than the first one where as the first one had actual moments of terror this one really doesn't have that. Everything is played up for laughs pretty mcuh through out. Still worth checking out for some goopy zombies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

6. C.H.U.D. 2 , Bud the Chud

This film is the definition of tonal whiplash for a sequel. The first CHUD film was rather straight forward monsters in the sewers film. This one veers so far left of that its weird how the name even matches the film. The stand out of this film is BUD , the so name chud. Gerrit Grahama is the aforementioned Bud and he doe such a fantastic job that you're really rooting for Bud in this name . Also Robert Vaughn is in this as well. Also Robert Englund in a blink and you will miss it cameo ( hint pay attention to who is trick r treating in the film). Anyway this i a pretty slap stick fun B movie . IF you like silly humor you'll like this film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

7. From Beyond (1986)

Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton, yes thank you. Probably one of Stuart Gordon's best pictures and its also a Charles Band produced film, along with Brian Yuzna. The goopiest of horrors this is just one fantastic thrill ride to the net . It really really good. The plot is a Lovecraftian horror with splatter punk sensibilities. Overall I love this film. Its so loving out there. Anyway great time would goop again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

8. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Probably one of the best werewolf movies ever made. Its a pitch black comedy really. As a film it really straddles the line with humor and horror in a perfect way. It's also got some of the best practical efects of werewolf transformation ever done. Rick Baker is responsible for that and its what earned him his Oscar for special effects in 1981. The first such Oscar to go out like this as well. Anyway its one of the more perfect horror movies of the 80s and still holds up today.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

9. Beetlejuice ( 1988 )

I questioned whether to include this in my horror watch as it is much more comedy than horror , but it has a lot of horrific element and it deals iwth ghosts. Everyone in this is fantastic , Michael Keaton is wonderful as Beetlejuice ( what he considers his favorite role!). Anyway Tim Burton is at the top of his game with the humor and darkness about this film which taken on its own is a rather bleak film. Anyway great time was had.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 9, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

10. The Blob (1988)

The goopiest of the 80s movies. You like goop? You like disgusting special effects? Then this is the movie for you. Just all around great retelling of and remake of the original. Everything about this is just ecellent. The special effects here are the real stand out and boy do they stand out with half melted bodies and the blob moving quickly and efficient killing inside out stomache.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

11. Arachnophobia

What a great creature flick. I love this movie because I hate spiders! Can't stand them at all so this is a crazy fun movie for me. Jeff Daniels and John Good man star in this first film from Frank Marshall with Steven Spielberg eecutive producing. Anyway its a great creepy crawly film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

12. Army of Darkness

What can I say I wanted a fun feel good movie to end the day with and my mini horror movie marathon for today so I chose Army of Darkness. What's not to love about this film its no frills jump into the action approach could be used by more films. It a lean less that 100 minutes I think like 93 run time is perfect. The film doesn't waste any time with needless back story , you get everything you need to know in the first 5 minutes. Its endlessly quotable and it just holds a special place in that horror/ comedy genre. Anyway great movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oof Prince of Darknesss is one of my favorite Carpenter films. I've now got to decide on what will be my 13th horror movie to complete the 13 movies challenge.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

13. Gremlins, Horror Challenge completed! Fran Challenge 13. Horrible Holidays

It's Gremlins! Directed by Joe Dante and produced by Steven Spielberg. Pretty much a perfect film. Also I totally forgot this came out in 1984 which is surprising to me. I think maybe I'd forgotten how early into the 80s this had come out. The special effects are great , the story is great, and Gizmo is fantastic as something every kid would want. Itss also drat funny. It has a real mean sense of humor. Anyway I love this film.

My 13 films are complete! I've met the challenge of watching 13 horror film in the month of May. I may watch more most likely I will.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 24, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Would The Last Broadcast qualify for that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

14. Gremlins 2

I originally set out to watch only 13 movies but really after watching Gremlins I just had to watch Gremlins 2. Its everything that you love about the first movie ratcheted up to loving 11. Joe Dante returns to direct. The movie starts with a animated introduction by Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck which should give you a clue as to the tone of the film. Everything about it is over the top. Anyway its a great film and I love it , one of the few sequels that's as great as the original.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

15. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)

Before there was the hit tv series there was a movie. I actually really enjoy this movie a lot , I mean its got a certain charm to it that only a 90s movie could have. Sara Michelle Gellar is not in this which is a plus I always never really particularly cared for her as Buffy even as someone who watched the entire series of Buffy. Its a fun movie with Luke Perry and Donald Sutherland in it as well. Sutherland is of course ecellent. You also have Rutger Hauer as the main bad guy. If I could come up with one word for this film it would be Pithy. Everyone is super sarcastic through. Anyway its a fun B Movie that doen't take itself to seriously and its also got Paul Reubens as a vampire as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

16. Van Helsing

I love this movie. Its so bad that it wraps around to being good again. This is a gonzo CGI fest film with some questionable now CGI. ITs got Hugh Jackman as Simon Belmont, I mean uh Van Helsing right this is not a Castlevania movie, or is it? Seriously great time for B Movie fair , also its got a great cast.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I couldn't find it streaming anywhere either. There is a physical release, but I don't own it.

Clever girl

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

17. Interview with a Vampire

The 90ist of 90s horror movies with Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise , as totally not gay vampires ( they gay ) , Antonio Banderas is also there as a totally not gay vampire as well. Honestly, the film is weird because its so queer but tries its best to obfuscate that fact . I dunno I really like this movie a lot I think its a great vampire story. Brad Pitt is at the height of his 90ish fame and Tom Cruise is excellent in at as well. Its just that good. Anyway I really wanted to watch something from the 90s that I remember really enjoying.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

18. Bram Stokers Dracula

Francis Ford Coppola I think personally best films. Forget all that other poo poo. Give me broody Dracula love story. The Gothic horror film of the 90s . There's so much to love about this film. Anthony Hopkins as the crazed Van Helsing. What you really should look at though are the special effects. Its literally been 25 years and they still hold up perfectly. The majority of the special effects were all done in camera and are all practical. Its a gorgeous film and its a really adult Dracula story. Also Keanu Reeves accent. Love it!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wishmaster and Wishmaster 2 both loving own, the third one is loving terrible though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Good news. There's a fourth.

Never seen the fourth one but the third one is loving dire. I imagine its not much better.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I will advocate for watching the Hellraiser films starting with the last one and going in reverse order. That way the films just get better not worse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

edit: Nevermind I found them. Forgot to recheck the 2nd post.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 14, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fran Challenge 10. Behind the Mask

18 Ed Wood

This is for the Fran Challenge since he mentioned it and I don't recall ever seeing it I decided to watch Ed Wood. Its a good film! John Depp is very enjoyable as Ed Wood a almost every man director who has aspirational dreams to make it in Hollywood. The cast is good , the pacing of the film is good, and its nice to see a biopic that treats its characters so lovingly. It only follows Ed Wood during a brief period not his whole life. Overall really enjoyable film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

When the decrepit version was suddenly revealed, it actually gave me a jump. I love that painting. I probably mentioned it in my review but I saw it on display in Chicago years ago and it was my favorite piece in the entire museum. I couldn't stop staring at it.

I love that painting as well! Its right across from Nighthawks in the Art Institute of Chicago. ITs huge as well , I love all the little details in the picture like how there's all these gross bugs etc.. Online pictures don't do it justice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

19. The Mummy (2017) Fran Challenge 2. Sometimes They Come Back

I couldn't come up with any remakes that I had not seen that were new to me so I picked this one. It stars Tom Cruise! It stars Tom Cruise? I dunno its a Tom Cruise movie about Tom Cruise fighting a Mummy. The Mummy design is actually pretty interesting. Also Russell Crowe is in it as Dr. Jekyll? Anyway I didn't think this was as bad as I thought it was going to be. This was suppose to be the start of a interconnected "dark universe' of Universal Monster films but it did so poorly they canceled all the other films. Lmao.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

20. Warlock Fran Challenge 11. Myths & Legends

I really love this movie. Julian Sands is fantastic as a Warlock or male Witch that travels to our time to collect a grimoire that has the name of god. What I love about this is all the world building and weird stuff that is in this. Really though its got a great cast and story. Also some pretty great 80s special effects. Well worht the watch. Also some of the myths in it about witches is all kind of made up whole cloth ecepting a few things. Anyway great movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rick Baker kind of had his hand in both the werewolves from The Howling and An American Werewolf in London.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

dorium posted:

I thought Rob Bottin did the Howling effects.

Rick Baker left The Howling to do An American Werewolf in London.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd actually recommend Cry Baby for John Waters films.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

21. The Hunger Fran Challenge 9. Scream, Queen!

Susan Sarandon and David Bowie star in this post modern vampire tale. I picked this one because its been so long since I saw it it was like watching it new again. This is also Tony Scott's first film. It shows all his trademarks are in this with lots of quick cuts , moody lighting. This is a great 60 minute film and then it kind of unfortunately does fall apart in the last half of the film , but that first half is incredible.Anyway I really enjoyed this movie and its probably one of the best "modern" vampire tales. Even though it doesn't really stick the ending its still a good movie.

I guess I should say a bit more but The whole idea of the vampirism being a invading blood stream infecting you is kind of super on point for a movie made during the 80s when AIDS crisis was in full swing. I mean the whole movie is interesting when taken in this light also thecomplete degradation of David Bowie's character in a short while harkens to how quickly AIDS could kill sapping the literal life out of people. Anyway I thought it was particularly interesting take on a vampire story although the ending does not make sense at all and i can understand why actors like Susan Surandon hated it

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 19, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What are some movie suggestions for the Dead and Buried challenge. I find it a hard time to come up with movies because I don't really pay to much attention to obituaries of famous people/ people in the industry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

22. Psycho (1960) Fran Challenge 7. Mother's Day

A just stone cold masterpiece of cinema and horror. Anthony Perkins is wonderful as Norman Bates. Anyway I picked this for my mother's day challenge because I hadn't seen it in so long that I was watching it with new eyes. What a movie , from Hitchcock's expert directing , to all of the acting in the film. To the incredible climax of the film. This is really one of those perfect films that on each rewatch gets better and better. Anyway I may end up watching Psycho 2 because of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

23. Army of the Dead 2021

I really enjoyed this. Its not often that you get something fairly innovative in a zombie film and all done by Zack Snyder. Bautista is great in it , in fact the entire cast is great. The action is awesome, its also a super goopy film. So if you like goop you'll like this movie. Its all played fairly straight with some humor in it but not a lot. Anyway its a great entry in the zombie genre and I think it'll become a favorite of peoples in no time. Itss just really well made , high budget, zombie kill fest. It has Snyder's trademarks all through out it incredible set of opening credits , music montages, and splattery action.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What movie can you watch that completes the most Fran Challenges? For me I think Friday the 13th part 2, completes Mothers Day, Video Game Adaptation, Summer Camp.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

24. Frankenstein and Monster from Hell Fran Challenge Dead and Buried

I picked this film because it features David Prowse as the monster. He was in a lot of different monster roles before he ever became famous for playing Darth Vader. This movie is also interesting because it came out in 1974 and its really one of the last gothic horror from Terrence Fisher , his last movie in fact. It features the last time Peter Cushing was Frankenstein as well. Personally I really enjoy this film its Peter Cushing playing Frankenstein as only he can. The special effects are actually pretty good for the movie ecept for Prowses monster who to me is not really that impressive as a supposed monster from hell. Overall its a perfectly fine Hammer Horror , it could have had a better ending that's about it. Worth watching I think overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Definitely going to add a bunch of those filmsto my watcch list for the short cut challenge