Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

I'm going to try for 13, bit busy right now but there's always time for schlock

I don't have a list but I'll probably re-up shudder for the month

Retro Futurist fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

1: 10 Cloverfield Lane

My partner and I just listened to the Faculty of Horror episode about this yesterday and we saw it in the theatre when it first came out and not since, so it seemed like a good pick to revisit.
Itís a good movie with a simple start that definitely relies a lot on its cast, but thatís fine as Winstead and Goodman are both great actors who play well off each other. Goodman in particular is great in this, I like how youíre not really meant to sympathize with Harold, and even if heís right heís still at best a very weird, dangerous dude.
The ending is for sure controversial. I like it but Iíd kind of rather theyíd gone smaller with it, we donít need a big climactic alien fight immediately after her big climactic fight out of the bunker. I actually like all 3 Cloverfield movies but theyíd definitely all be better as separate, unrelated movies (which I donít think is too odd an opinion since this and Paradox were both their own things before being slapped into the Cloververse)

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

2: The Gift (2015)

What a weird cast for this movie. They all did a fine job, but the plot takes way too long to get where it’s going, just kind of hangs out there for a while, and then has a really hosed up (not in a good way) ending. Could have been something if it were paced differently but it just falls flat

Retro Futurist fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 7, 2021

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Davros1 posted:

Is this the Sam Raimi film or the Joel Edgerton film?

The Edgerton one, suppose I should have put a year

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

For the Mexican movie do English GDT movies count? Been meaning to check Crimson Peak off my list.
Or what was that one that everyone in the horror thread liked a few months ago, Bario or something like that. Might have been further south but I seem to recall it being Mexican

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Franchescanado posted:

OR Watch a film about a group of people making a horror film

I'm not big on documentaries so this part here appeals to me, but I can't seem to phrase it in a way Google understands and all the ones I can think of (Diary of the Dead, One Cut) I've already seen. Any recommendations?

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Maybe I'll just do that because I've seen all the suggested ones too

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Fran Challenge #10 - Behind the Mask

What We Do in the Shadows
Taika Waititi, Jemaine Clement, 2014

A film crew sets out to document the lives of some vampires living together as roommates in New Zealand. Why the hell have I put off watching this for so long? It's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. Granted I don't watch many comedies because they rarely make me laugh and usually feel like a waste of time. But not here. I laughed constantly. The dialogue is insanely funny and the jabs at horror tropes are pitch perfect. Plus it's pretty gory and the effects are solid. Man what a great movie.

5/5

Films watched: 1. Witchfinder General (1968), 2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923), 3. The Devil Rides Out (1968), 4. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), 5. Who Can Kill a Child? (1976), 6. The Raven (1935), 7. A Bucket of Blood (1959), 8. The Curse of the Werewolf (1961), 9. Hunter Hunter (2020), 10. Letís Scare Jessica to Death (1971), 11. Prince of Darkness (1987), 12. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

3/13 Fran Challenges completed: 2. Sometimes They Come Back (The Hunchback of Notre Dame), 7. Mother's Day (Who Can Kill a Child?), 10. Behind the Mask (What We Do in the Shadows)

If you havenít seen the show definitely check that out, itís somehow funnier.
Anyways

3: REC Challenge 2:sometimes they come back

Jesus what a stressful movie. Iíd seen the American remake so I knew the main beats, but thereís not a tremendous amount of plot anyways (though this is absolutely not a criticism). Thereís about 5 minutes of setup and then it just kicks off and doesnít let up for the rest of the run time. A reporter and her cameraman are doing a slice of life story about a local firehouse and they get get called out to assist with someone in distress; it goes poorly from there.
Itís an interesting setup in that everyone is fairly sympathetic and you want to root for them and hope they survive and escape (the government has sealed them in) but youíve also seen zombie movies before and you know the government guys are probably right to lock the doors. Iím a big fan of the original ending bit where the virus is basically communicable possession. thatís cool as poo poo. Itís also a found footage movie which provides a very good reason for it to be filmed and to continue filming, which is always a plus.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

4: REC 2

I got all four so figured we'd jump into the next one. This picks up pretty much immediately from the first one and ramps everything up a bit. Now we're following a swat team heading into the aftermath, but it's cleverly broken up by an intersecting group so it doesn't drag too much or need more padding. This one leans way more into the demon stuff and expands the lore a lot. I very much enjoy that aspect but I can see why others may not. It turns the action up a la Aliens but in doing so it turns the tension way down. All in all its definitely worth checking out if you liked the first one, but I can't say it's as good.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 1: Short Cuts

I set a goal to stick to shorts under 10 mins, beyond that I just hopped around youtube more or less randomly.

The Ballerina (7:45)
A ballerina is haunted by her reflection during a practice.
Dialouge free with some good body horror. Super old concept but it's done well and the actress pulls it off.

Damage Control (8:01)
While surprising his fiancťe with a newly inherited property, a man is forced by a mysterious woman to confront his past behavior.
Predictable but goes in kind of interesting direction with the premise.

Slaughterbots
A defense contractor debuts his new AI controlled, killer mini drones. Goes about as well as you'd expect.

The Third Hand (9:06)
A lonely night worker discovers a mysterious room which might hold in it his wildest dreams or his worst nightmares.
Well shot and good use of a low budget. Nice and weird and reminiscent of an SCP story.

Rebel (1:36)
At his execution, a 1798 rebel looks forward to a better life to come.
Very short but a neat premise, don't want to say anything to not spoil it.

Swet Tooth(4:18)
For little Norman, the PiŮata isn't the only thing to bleed candy.
Pretty horrific and bizarre, I liked this one

The Hanging Balloons (1:59)
Based on the Junji Ito. This was fine but it's very obviously just someone's school project.

Foxed (4:37)
Very cool and creepy short modeled after those old 60s claymation movies. Quite well done.

Cover Up (3:36)
Features some recognizable names. I guess it's a comedy horror but I'm not really sure I get what it's going for, might be a little bit too short.

Mikus (3:42)
Your childhood is a dangerous thing to forget.
Goes where you expect to it but it's creepy and effective.

The Maiden (8:54)
A real estate agent tries to sell a haunted house.
Same guy who directed Cure of La Llorona. Very similar vibe to that/James Wan stuff if you're into that kind of thing. This is one of those ideas that works well as a short as you really couldn't do a feature length movie with it, but it fits this time frame perfectly.

Stand (8:41)
A man finds himself standing in the midst of a garage, staring off against a creature that only moves when the man sits.
Does what it says on the box. The monster looks like a cheap halloween mask but otherwise it was ok.

The Video Store Commercial (4:07)
A desperate video store owner hires a crew to shoot a commercial in his shop. But when they accidentally destroy a cursed VHS, suddenly, all their lives are in danger. And worse yet, the commercial may never get finished.
Wanted to finish with something a bit lighter, this hit the spot. It has a good greasy, goopy vibe, and the monster looks really cool.

Total Runtime: 60m59s

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 8: Dead and Buried
5: Dial M for Murder (1981) (RIP Christopher Plummer)

This is not the Hitchcock version and you can definitely tell, but it's a strong cast (Plummer in particular is a standout as you watch him plot and scheme on the fly) and as it was originally a play, the TV Movie atmosphere doesn't really hurt it, since it all mostly takes place in one room. It was a lot of fun if you're into the old school Agatha Christie style mysteries with plenty of twists and turns throughout.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 7: Mothers Day
6: Serial Mom

Another one to cross off my list after several years. This was great fun, if you know Waters youíll have a reasonable idea of what youíre in for with the subversion of the kitschy 50s style, though if anything this is one of his more subdued works (aside from the gore, at least).

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 3: Camp Blood

7: Stage Fright

I wanted to go with something a little different and not just watch another Friday knock off. Came across this on a list and figured I'd give it a go, though I was a little wary about never having heard of it in any capacity before,but it seems like that was mainly because of how Canadian it is. The cast is pretty much all Canadian TV people, and then also Meatloaf and Minnie Driver.
It's a camp slasher set at a theatre camp, and includes a few straight up musical numbers. If I'd seen this when I was a 15 year old theater kid myself it would be one of my favourites, as is it's got some missed opportunities. Not enough music in general, Meatloaf has a lead role but only has about 1.25 songs; as a slasher it's also a bit mediocre, there's only a handful of kills and other than one they aren't particularly inventive, and if you've seen a single slasher before you'll figure out who the killer is within the first few minutes.
Overall I enjoyed it, and if you like musicals and/or were a theatre kid, there's definitely some fun to be had here.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 11: Myths and Legends

8: The Hallow

I remember seeing the trailer for this back when it was first coming out and thought it looked good, but I've never seen it running or streaming anywhere any time I've looked. Had it on my list already and The Hallow are meant to be fairies, so figured I'd apply it here.

Really glad I got around to it, this was great. CGI is a little spotty but that's made up for with some really good creature effects and prosthetics. The story gets a bit confusing if you try to dig too deep into it as they kind of try and give the Hallow a scientific origin, but they don't really spell out what their deal is and if there's meant to still be a mythical side to it. They're cordycep creatures but it's unclear if theyre just feral mushroom people or they control the cordycep, as it seems to have a mind of its own and the changeling stuff at the end is pretty advanced

Some beautiful shots of the Irish countryside, too

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 4: movie of the month

9: Viy

Well folks, this was a weird one. Itís a neat look at a cool era, and I appreciate all the old school camera tricks, but it was a bit too genuinely hokey for me to get into. I can see why people were into it but itís not for me, just reminded of Hilarious House of Frightenstein too much

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Spatulater bro! posted:

To me it's hokey in the same way Evil Dead II is hokey. i.e. awesomely so.

And normally thatís my jam, but this just didnít land for me. I dig the big blowout at the end but it just takes too long to get there

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 5: Cinco

10: Los Parecidos (The Similars)

One of those movies that would have been a great 40 minute short but got turned into a decent 90 minute movie. The pacing winds up being pretty interesting, it takes a bit to get going and then things kick off at about the half hour mark, then shortly after that there's a huge exposition dump that pretty flatly explains what is happening and why, and then the movie goes on for another 45 minutes.
The less said about the plot the better I think, this one that would be better gone into blind.
I really liked the colour palette in this. The whole thing is a riff on Twilight Zone, including a Serling narration at the beginning and end, and it's done with this super saturated look where it's almost black and white, but has some colour popping in

It's very neat.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 9: Scream Queen

11: What Keeps You Alive

Jackie and Jules, a married couple, head up to Jackieís old family cabin for a vacation, but things go murderously wrong.
This is a tough one to talk about, as the twist makes for a pretty good shock and is better gone into without suspecting anything, but it also happens like 10 minutes in and drives the rest of the plot so you canít discuss much without it.
Jackie attempts to kill Jules for insurance money/sheís a psychopath, and a very tense game of cat and mouse ensues.
I enjoyed the unique spin on the old cat and mouse game, though this movie certainly had its frustrations. I get that itís probably a more realistic take on how people in these situations would react but drat Jules, fight back already. Even when she does itís way too late and at the expense of 2 or 3 lives.
I did like the lgbt side of things too here, in that them being a married lesbian couple has no bearing on anything whatsoever. Genders could have been swapped around a bit and not changed the story much, and thereís no sneering yokels or anything that come into the picture.
A very good, if frustratingly uncathartic, thriller

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 13: Holidays

12: Hosts

Man, I normally donít care for mean spirited stuff, but this one was so over the top with it and completely serious about it that it brought me back around, especially the scene where things really kick off which is one of the most darkly comic things Iíve seen not be played for laughs. It helps that pretty much all the main cast did some really terrific acting, everyone feels like a real person and the family feels like a real family.
As a whole itís a bit half baked though, the story is thread bare and makes no attempt to explain whatís going on. Normally I donít mind that but it needed a bit more here. For what it is it was good, just needed a little more exposition.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 6: Playing with power

Saturday afternoon and Iím taking it easy due to the Pfizer flu, what better time for

12: Plan 9 From Outer Space

The infamous Ed Wood movie from 1959 widely considered to be one of the worst movies ever. Now, being a horror fan with multiple streaming services, Iíve seen a lot of bad movies and honestly this wasnít even near the bottom of the list. The acting is terrible across the board, and the sets and costumes are barebones, but you can feel the genuine sincerity this was all made with and itís a little charming in its own way. The story is actually kind of cool too, with a better writer and some real actors it could have been a classic for other reasons.

As for the game, itís an adventure game from the 90s, with all the good and bad that entails. If youíre interested itís easy enough to find online and runs in browser, but itís no Monkey Island.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

I need a ruling asap, would The Devil and Father Amorth count for the Behind the Mask challenge?
E: too late Iím doing it

Retro Futurist fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 30, 2021

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 10: behind the mask

13: The Devil and Father Amorth

William Friedkin (director of The Exorcist) attends a real life exorcism by Chief Exorcist of The Vatican, Gabriele Amorth. At first I was worried this wouldn't count for the challenge, but I feel good about it after watching it; the first third delves into a lot of behind the scenes stuff from Exorcist and talks about the real life case Blatty based it on. The next third is the exorcism itself, then the final part is Friedkin showing the footage to various professionals and getting feedback.

There are two big issues with this documentary. First and foremost is the exorcism itself; while I can't really fault him for showing the whole thing uncut, it's all pretty mundane and uninteresting (though I'm not religious, maybe it would have more of an effect if I were). There's also the insane choice to give the possessed woman a digitally altered demon voice during it, which is just so obviously fake and adds nothing of value. The other major issue that really effects the whole rest of the movie is that it's all present uncritically. Friedkin is 100% on board with the whole thing, and doesn't question Amorth in any way. This also results in his asking very leading questions of the various professionals he meets.

The first bit was interesting and if this had been less biased, it could have been interesting, but the last two thirds just drag it down into a ludicrous and dull slog.

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

Challenge 12: Cavalcade of Creepiness

14: Mortuary Collection

As with every anthology ever this has some ups and downs, but nothing runs long enough to wear itís welcome out and the wrap around was pretty good, as Clancy Brown is a treasure.

Thatís all the Fran challenges and my personal target hit right on time. Going to have to pick something good to wrap it all up tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro Futurist
Aug 8, 2007

Yesterday's Tomorrow,
Today!

15: The Dark and The Wicked

Phew, definitely not the feel good movie of the year. Some cliche defying moments, I liked that it kicked off pretty quick, and that both leads are immediately involved and thereís no ďyouíre seeing thingsĒ bits to cut through. Very good but The Dark sure is right.

Final:

YouTube shorts for Challenge 1
10 Cloverfield Lane
The Gift (2015)
[REC] Challenge 2: Sometimes they come back
[REC]≤
Dial M for Murder (1981) Challenge 8: dead and buried
Serial Mom Challenge 7: Motherís Day
Stage Fright Challenge 3: camp blood
The Hallow Challenge 11: myths and legends
Viy Challenge 4: motm
The Similars Challenge 5: Cinco
What Keeps You Alive Challenge 9: scream queen
Hosts Challenge 13: holidays
Plan 9 from Outer Space Challenge 6: playing with power
The Devil and Father Amorth Challenge 10: behind the mask
The Mortuary Collection Challenge 12: cavalcade of creepiness
The Dark and the Wicked

15 total, only one rewatch which is cool. Glad I set a low bar though, and greatly appreciated having all the challenges ASAP as it was a struggle even to hit this mark.