Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Going for 13, making a list never works for me so Iím winging it with a mix of catching up on stuff I havenít seen and revisiting some comfort food classics. Bring on the challenges because itís much easier when someone narrows things down for me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

1. Bride or Re-Animator (1989)

ĒWeessssttttttĒ

The original Re-Animator is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. It features some of my favorite things in horror, campy black comedy, over the top goopy gore effects, and a visionary director with a distinct style and a love for the genre. I love that movie to death.

Bride is a great sequel in that it gives you more of what was great about the first. Itís the continuing adventures of Dr. West and Dr. Cain playing god in make-ship labs in a spooky mortuary or even war-torn Peru (??). It captures the spirit of the first even if at times feels like a bit of a recycling of ideas.

But letís just all pause and appreciate how great Jeffery Combs is in this role. Is there a more fully realized character in horror history? Iím not sure. Lines like ďDead cat, details laterĒ or in this sequel ďMake a note of it, Dan! Tissue rejection!!Ē are wonderfully crafted but would they work with another actor who didnít commit like Combs? I donít think so.

Everything he does in these movies is motivated by one thing, the pursuit of his lifeís work- the Re-Agent. This movie was featured on Last Drive In and Joe Bob had Combs on for an interview and he said that West simply does not and cannot understand doing anything but continue his work. When he rolls his eyes at Cain for getting distracted by another beautiful woman itís because he canít imagine wasting valuable work time on things like personal relationships. I love when West has to, again and again, convince Cain to indulge his madness. Combs does this thing where he turns on the sincerity a bit, makes West feel more human as he begs Cain to stay the course. Like in this film when he presents Cain with the heart of his dead fiancť, enticing him to help him rebuild a human from scratch and reunite with his love with a saccharine speech. But itís all bullshit, West doesnít believe a word of what he is saying. To him itís just a organ, a piece of the puzzle he needs to complete his work, there is nothing sacred about that heart. But he knows Cain is driven by his emotions and this will convince him to not abandon West. Good help is hard to find when you are pilfering body parts to create a Frankenstein. And Combs knows exactly how to show West manipulating Cain and exactly when to turn that off and become the stone-cold ego-maniacal genius with lines like - ďI have taken refuse of your Godís failures and I have triumphed!Ē Combs is so loving good.

ďI donít consider science morbidĒ

The titular bride in this looks fantastic and she steals the scenes towards the end. There are a lot of fantastic special effects in this sequel and I only wish they had some more screen-time. Much like the original, things donít get truly bonkers till the finale and I wished it had the budget to be even bigger. Also Bat-Hill whips so hard.

If you are a fan of the original and havenít seen the sequel I would definitely recommend you check it out.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

1) Blackula (1972,TV, The Grio)

I had never seen Blackula, so when I spotted that it was going to be on TV Saturday morning, I did a speedrun of my grocery shopping to get back in time for it. Unfortunately I missed the first few minutes so I don't know why he was cursed by Dracula himself, but I don't think that exactly hurt my enjoyment of the film.

Itís actually a pretty cool scene. In the 18th century Prince Mamuwalde goes as a diplomat to Transylvania to petition Count Dracula to join him to protest and suppress the African slave trade. Unfortunately, Dracula is a giant racist rear end in a top hat who turns him and ďcurses himĒ with the name Blacula. Just Dracula being a dick for no reason. But I appreciate that they actually set up the name and why Mamuwalde has that intellectual, refined, royal kinda way about him. Wasnít expecting that film to actually try to historically contextualize the plot but thatís the thing with Blacula- itís much better than its reputation

https://youtu.be/4uVC-cDpdpg

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

2. Jason Goes to Hell (1993)

I havenít seen a handful of Friday the 13th films and Iíd like to fill some gaps this month. Iíve seen the ones considered classics like IV, VI, and of course Jason X.

Like most people I have avoided IX since itís famous for being the ďJason isnít Jason he is some sort of demonic wormĒ. But I heard it described as ďessentially an evil dead movieĒ so I was intrigued. That turns out to be true in the literal sense there is a necronomicon straight out of Sam Raimiís prop department but not in the sense that itís a good time.

The film is a giant mess but its not entirely because of that ďtwistĒ on the series. Itís a confusing, meandering soap opera with a lame as hell protagonist, terrible acting, and some shoddy camerawork. Itís paced very strangely- to the point I wondered if I skipped scenes. I think since it ditched the slasher pacing by jumping the killer around from person to person it doesnít build suspense or dread like a usual slasher. Itís very self referential and doesnít take itself seriously but the parts that made me giggle almost certainly werenít meant to (besides the foul-mouthed dinner owner she was great)

On the positive side, some gore here was wonderful. I particularly liked a goopy, melting man bit that looked really great. The opening scene is a famously amazing piece of schlock that needs to be seen. Lots of good effects work all around.

In the end, if Jason Goes to Hell went even more balls to the walls in the insanity department I think Iíd like it more. Give me more demons literally dragging Jason to hell, magic daggers, and that ridiculous Freddy stinger..that poo poo was fun. But itís mostly unsatisfying and just feels...off.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

3. Victor Crowley (2017)

The 4th installment of the Hatchet series, I have seen the first 2 and maybe the 3rd? Itís not spoiling much to say they all sorta blend together.

Anyone with experience with these films knows what you get, lots of practical effects, nasty kills, and general goofiness. The series comes from the brain of horror-hound Adam Green and they are all obviously passion projects.

And so thatís why I generally give the Hatchet films a pass. They all basically look the same, they are very limited by their budget, the humor is very hit or miss, and none of them really bother to change up the formula or offer anything beyond brutal slasher kills and horror references (Iím still happy to see Kane Hodder, Tony Todd, and Felissa Rose get some paychecks!) and I can totally see how that may bore some viewers.

But hey, itís like a spookshow haunted house youíve been through a few times. You know whatís gonna happen next and none of it is gonna scare you but itís a spectacle watching the various ways that Adam Green very lovingly finds to splatter brains and dismember. And some of those kills throughout the series are incredible. Just donít expect much else out of it.

Watchlist ranked in order of enjoyment
1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Victor Crowley 3. Jason Goes to Hell

*=rewatch

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

4. Frankenhooker (1990)

I love Frank Henenlotter. I believe we both have very similar sensibilities. I understand this is basically calling myself a giant pervert.

But seriously, we both love grimey old-NYC, silly comedy in our horror/exploitation films, low-budget guerrilla style film-making, and I will forever appreciate Henenlotterís efforts to preserve genre and sex film history with his work as a part of Something Weird Video Frankenhooker is his silliest film for sure but man I like it a lot. Patty Mullenís delivery of her lines post-transformation will never cease to amuse me. Itís stupid and it revels in itís stupidity.

On this rewatch I was surprised at how much this script makes me giggle, feel a little stupid for laughing at the joke, and then laugh some more. Itís really funny and very crude. But of course, you want to watch this film if you want to see some of the most gratuitous nudity and use of fireworks as pyrotechnic special effects youíve ever seen. If you havenít seen the ďsuper-crack explosionĒ scene you havenít lived. Great puppets too.

I donít know how I would rank this film, Basket Case, and Brain Damage but they make up the trash trilogy of a schlock auteur who, in my opinion, thoroughly explores the relationships between horror and sex, perversion and innocence, outsiders and mainstream society- in each of those three great films. He is never uninteresting and he deserves all the respect he gets around these parts.

Wanna date?

NSFW

Watchlist ranked Best to Worst
1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Frankehooker* 3. Victor Crowley 4. Jason Goes to Hell

*=rewatch

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I said this before in the horror thread but making Dennis Dunn the lead character would've improved Prince of Darkness by leaps and bounds.

How dare you besmirch Jameson Parker whose defining character traits were ďhas mustacheĒ and ďcreepily stalks and pressures women into sexĒ

I mean he would go on to star in *checks notes* zero theatrically released films after John Carpenter presented him to the world!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

5. House on Haunted Hill Ď99
Retroactive Fran Challenge #2: Sometimes They Come Back

Oh the late 90s-early 00s big budget horror remake craze. Besides this film youíve got Thir13en Ghosts, House of Wax, The Haunting, Ghost Ship and prolly others Iím missing. They are all pretty maligned although Iíll certainly defend some of them (especially Thir13en Ghosts and House of Wax)

I hadnít seen this remake and man is it the prime example of the cliches and tropes that unite all the horror movies from this era...
-Edgy metal soundtrack (in this case provided by Marilyn Mason) - check
-ďThis ainít your grandpas horror movieĒ with tons of ďfucksĒ - check
-Speed up shaky head ghosts a la Jacobs Ladder - check
-Cavalcade of actors you could only find in this era of films (Chris Kattan, Ali Larter, Peter Gallagher, Famke Janssen) - check
-Horrible CGI - check

That being said....I didnít hate this film. Itís cheesy, bad at times, and certainly my in-grained nostalgia for this era may blind me a bit but there is some good stuff in this one. Including some very cool and legitimately creepy visuals thanks to Greg Nicotero who did the effects work. A lot of the jittery retro-insane asylum stuff is old hat now but you canít fault the film for that. There are some excellent looking ghouls and ghosts and some great gore, I only wish we got more. The Aphex Twin-esque scene with the zoetrope device is great!

Geoffrey Rush chewing up the scenery as an amusement park mogul (lol) doing his best Vincent Price impersonation. The playful, ďwhatís real and whatís notĒ tone is fun and Rush and Jansen have a good time with it. That concept and the relationship between those characters is really the only recognizable part from the original outside the basic plot.

It falls on its face at the end where instead of doing something clever with the ďstaged or notĒ idea or even just giving us a showdown with one of the excellent practical ghouls, we got a horribly ugly CGI monstrosity with Janssen face poorly grafted onto it. It almost works as a Rorsarch/Lovecraft looking thing but itís a let down

So for a film that doesnít take itself too serious or over stay itís welcome at 90 minutes, I was entertained. Itís very dated and you shouldnít expect any sort of clever reimagining of the original here but itís a solid representation of the good and the bad of an era that Iím always willing to revisit.

1. Bride of Re-animator* 2. Frankenhooker* 3. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 4. Victor Crowley 5. Jason Goes to Hell

*=Rewatch

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 17, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Movie #5: The Innkeepers (2011)

What a weird movie. Not in the wonderful way of Hausu, but in the "I don't know what to make of this, and I'm not sure the filmmakers knew either" way. The Innkeepers is the story of Luke and Claire, two slackerish hotel workers who are spending their last weekend at the Yankee Peddler Inn, a failing hotel that is going to close down the next Monday. Claire and Luke are determined to once and for all get some concrete evidence of the hauntings that have been reported at the Inn over the years before it's too late.

That's a cool premise for a horror movie, and that's not the only cool thing about The Innkeepers. It's got a fairly quirky tone that isn't so much horror movie as ... I don't really know, what. Until the climax there's very little horror or spooky stuff in the movie and we spend more time with Claire and Luke slacking off and Luke obviously being in love with Claire but also too much of a goon to say anything. Over the weekend various strange guests check in to the hotel, including a very low energy old man who insists on having a very certain room, and an aging actress who was once the star of a beloved 80s sitcom but is now a "healer" and acts as Claire's spooky sherpa as she tries to uncover the strange things happening at the hotel and things seem to be building up to something.

That's all well and good, but The Innkeepers feels kind of muddled and lost. Ti West could have cut a bunch of sublots out of the movie, because they end up going nowhere, and instead focused more of the film's 101 minute runtime on making a few plot threads more meaningful. Now it just feels like the movie's kind of spinning its wheels in a 90 minute donut before finally and suddenly streaking off at 100mph for the climax. I didn't hate it, because Sara Paxton and Pat Healy put in good performances and the movie DOES have a quirky, yet at the same time often tense atmosphere. Also big props to the sound department, because The Innkeepers was one of the best surround sound horror movies I've watched. There's an especially cool scene where Claire is trying to record ESP sounds on a portable recorder, and as she walks around the hotel and pans the microphone around, the sound also pans around the speakers in an extremely effective and spooky way.

Man, it just feels like with a few tweaks The Innkeepers could have been really good. Now it's entertaining enough, but nothing bugs me more than wasted potential.

/ 5

My movies:
1. Evil Dead II, 2. The Legend of Hell House, 3. Hausu, 4. The Haunting (1963), 5. The Innkeepers (2011)

Totally agree here, some parts of that film still stick with me and are wonderfully done and then some bits just fall flat. Ti West is a great craftsman of a filmmaker but Innkeepers is really too meandering and unfocused for me

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

6. Ginger Snaps

Iíve been meaning to check out Ginger Snaps for an eternity and it did not disappoint. I knew it had a reputation as a coming of age story wrapped up in a werewolf story, I didnít realize it was quite so literally menstruation and burgeoning sexuality

Thereís not much for me to add that hasnít already been discussed, this film wears its themes on its sleeve and strikes a great balance between horror and drama. But there were some surprises along the way. For one I wasnít aware how drat funny this film is.
Some great lines in this script and a really funny performance from Mimi Rogers.

Itís also an absolute marvel of low-budget filmmaking. 5 million isnít a minuscule amount of money but they get the most out of it. It looks great, I love the mind-numbing suburban setting, the ďshow more with less goreĒ and I applaud them not being afraid to bring that awesome rubber suit back out in the end

But in the end, the best part of Ginger Snaps is the relationship between our leads. Emily Perkins and Katharine Isabelle do a fantastic job. They are authentic and powerful and watching them torn apart is painful. Also Emily Perkins has one of the best wide-eyed ďWTF is happeningĒ looks in horror history!

Itís just a really great film, tightly scripted, cleverly made, looks and sounds great. Iím a little scared to check out the sequels if they are diminishing returns but at the very least they look interesting.

1. Bride of Re-animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 5. Victor Crowley 6. Jason Goes to Hell

*=rewatch

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 12, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

7. Rawhead Rex

A campy little monster film, Rawhead Rex features an ancient pagan god rampaging through rural Ireland. Itís based on a Clive Barker short story and screenplay but he famously disowned the final product.

On one hand itís not hard to see why. Itís incredibly cheap. The titular monster looks like a combination of a gorilla and a professional wrestler with laser pointer eyes and a Gumby mouth. They are so proud of this design that they make no attempt to hide its flaws, I especially love how it just pops up in broad daylight less than 5 minutes into the film in all its cheap rubber glory. The bare-bones plot and bad dialogue leave a lot to be desired...

Butttt there is some undeniable charm in Rawhead Rex. As bad has he looks, I kinda love that goofy looking monster. I like how blunt and relentlessly cruel the film can be, Rawhead Rex just pops up place to place and fucks poo poo up every time. Limbs and heads just flying around and tons of burn suits. Itís often crude, featuring an infamous scene where Rex baptizes his new follower with a stream of monster piss

The Irish countryside setting is unique and really nice to look at, a couple of the scenes in the forest including the caravan attack are great. Ronan Wilmont who plays the priest turned Rawhead-acolyte gives a must-see over the top shouting performance. Itís really something else.

ďHe was here before Christ, before civilization. He was king here! Rawhead, thatís what they called him...RRAAWWWHHEEAADD!!Ē

If you like B-grade monster films with cheap gore, cheesy dialogue, and lots of latex, Rawhead Rex could be up for you.

1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 5. Rawhead Rex 6. Victor Crowley 7. Jason Goes to Hell

*=rewatch

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 14, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

(Seriously, how did they land Danny Glover and Kerri Russel for their no-budget first film?)

Glover has 206 credits on IMDb so I donít think he turns much down. Itís an interesting career for sure, I checked it out and Saw is sandwiched between films like The Royal Tenenbaums and Dreamgirls as well as a bunch of DTV cheap animated films, made for tv stuff, and some low-budget dramas on film festival circuits. Seems like a guy who just likes a steady paycheck as well as helping out indie projects as much as possible.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 17, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

8. Scare Package

Fran Challenge 12: Cavalcade of Creepiness

A meta anthology Shudder exclusive film, Scare Package features, technically, 9(!) shorts if you count the frame narrative. Each short is packed with horror-references and meta musings.

I find these type of ďhorror for horror fansĒ films to be a double edged sword. On one hand the references are too specific and go over the head of anyone who isnít a total horror hound. On the other hand, those who get them find the references cheap and pandering. Itís a delicate balance to make something that entertaining for both groups and Scare Package tries itís hardest to do so. Itís not nearly as annoying as I would think a film like this would be.

But unsurprisingly this film falls into the same problem that many anthology films do, the bad shorts outnumber the good and with soooo many shorts it seems like an easily avoidable problem.

Only 3 of the shorts are worth a drat, the first is ďCold OpenĒ and fun little story about self-aware side characters stuck in an eternal scripted loop, like a police officer that wonders why no matter where she aims she can only shoot the murderer in the shoulder. The ending story is another- ďself-aware character in a horror film taleĒ, this time with a Joe Bob inspired VHS store owner named Rad Chad and of course Joe Bob himself eventually shows up to call him an rear end in a top hat and quickly die. In the world of Scream, Cabin in the Woods, Tucker and Dale, itís nothing new or original. But it gets bonus points in my book for casting professional wrestler Dustin Rhodes AKA Goldust as the lumbering killer.

The best short is a very quick and dumb one called ďOne Time in the WoodsĒ. Itís a comedic non-sequitur story that is saved by the appearance of a man transforming into a melting pile of goo. Its an awesome looking practical effect and the actor has some great, funny, dead-pan lines- like when he nonchalantly asks the other characters to not separate his goo-pile for when he transforms back. I mean look at this guy! Iíd watch a whole film with him.

While there are some funny moments and it has plenty great, low budget gore and practical effects, itís mostly mediocre. The meta concept is overdone, the referential lines are cringe, and the humor is hit or miss. Clearly made with love and passion for the genre tho, I will certainly give it that.

1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 5. Rawhead Rex 6. Victor Crowley 7. Scare Package 8. Jason Goes to Hell

*=rewatch
= Fran Challenge

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 17, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

9. Bride of Chucky

This film, and much of this series, is a bit of comfort food for me. Checks a lot of my boxes. For starters itís a horror comedy with plenty of silliness and gore. Secondly itís that nostalgic era for me- late 90s/early 00s. And boy is it ever of that era...opens with a Rob Zombie song and features John Ritter, Katherine Heigl, and Alexis Arquette.

The director Ronny Yu of Freddy vs. Jason fame has a very interesting career, Iíd be interested in checking out his earlier Hong Kong stuff- does anyone have any experience with him?

This one is known for being the one to go ďmetaĒ. It references a ton of horror films and, I think, lovingly mocks the genre. The meta aspect isnít overbearing or pandering like many ďhorror films for horror fansĒ. And overall most of this one is just plain silly. Itís crude and dumb and funny. It doesnít overstay itís welcome. I love our hapless protagonists who canít do anything right and are constantly being bailed-out or manipulated by Chucky and Tiffany. And of course, the puppets gently caress.

Dourif was getting a lot of well-deserved love in the other thread but letís give it up for Jennifer Tilly who is so good in these films. Their relationship in these later Chucky films is genuinely interesting- they are evil and abusive, doomed to bring out the worst in each other but they are undeniably fated to be together. Itís almost, dare I say, sweet.

ĒYou know me. Iíll kill anybody, but Iíll only sleep with someone I love.Ē

1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. Bride of Chucky* 5. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 () 6. Rawhead Rex
7. Victor Crowley 8. Scare Package ()
9. Jason Goes to Hell

*=rewatch
= Fran Challenge

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

10. Verotika

They told me not to bother with this one. They told me itís not worth it past the first story. They told me itís just plain bad. But damnit I had to see it for myself.

Verotika has been ďtoutedĒ as an unintentionally hilarious vanity project in the vein of The Room or a Neil Breen production but unfortunately it doesnít rise to that level. I have a high tolerance for those films special brand of cringe-inducing comedy and madness. I love those movies and Iíve seen them dozens of times- they made me rethink what it means to call a movie ďbadĒ.

And yes there are some very bad, and humorous, line readings and plenty of baffling decisions. But itís just mostly very boring. The anthology format is a mistake. Not that I want to see feature length Danzig but anthology films need variety. A shared idea is fine but all three shorts look the same, feel the same, and all tread the same territory. Doesnít help that all three are also all very cyclical and repetitive- find victim, kill victim, find next victim. Everything is very flat and slow.

Iíll say this much, there is some interesting stuff here. Danzig clearly has a passion for this stuff and is working hard to do something with this sex meets violence meets comic book stylings. Some visuals are compelling throughout, I mean you donít see eyeball nipples everyday. But ultimately itís a big flop, itís not bizarre enough to be shocking, itís not quite delusional enough to be funny (there are a few things like the ďFrenchĒ police that are very silly) and well itís just not particularly entertaining.

1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. Bride of Chucky* 5. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 () 6. Rawhead Rex
7. Victor Crowley 8. Scare Package ()
9. Jason Goes to Hell 10. Verotika

*=rewatch
= Fran Challenge- #2, #12

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 23, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Can you claim two Fran challenges for one movie or is it one each?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

11. Seed of Chucky
Fran Challenge #9: Scream, Queen!

Previously in this thread when I talked about Bride of Chucky I mentioned that while that film was the first to introduce meta themes to the series, it wasnít as much meta craziness as youíd think. Well if that film was Scream level of meta, this one goes full Gremlins 2

Chucky and Tiffany are now animatronic props used to make Chucky films, Jennifer Tilly now plays herself and just happens to have a striking resemblance to human-Tiffany, and of course- the crew goes to Hollywood. Itís a full throated satire of the industry and much more.

Don Mancini, the series creator, writer, and here as first time director is an openly gay man who said in interviews that Universal turned down this script because it was ďtoo gayĒ. The titular ďSeedĒ is a non-binary character whose struggle to deal with their gender drives the plot. They openly ponder ĒSometimes I feel like a boy, and sometimes I feel like a girl..hey! Can I be both?Ē

The child is a Ziggy Stardust lookalike who is eventually named Glen...or Glenda (really). For 2004, itís amazing to see a series already so established take such a public risk. Itís also refreshing to see the sympathetic attitude the movie eventually adopts- Chucky wants a boy, Tiffany wants a girl, but in the end they realize itís Glen/Glendaís decision to make. They facilitate this in the only way that Chucky and Tiffany could, by kidnapping Tilly, inseminating her with a turkey baster, and drop a voodoo curse on her so Glen/Glenda can transfer themselves into the childís body. In a stroke of great luck, Tilly has twins- one boy and one girl I wonít speak for non-binary horror hounds, but I hope they were excited to see this representation at the core of the plot of the film and not just a throwaway character.

Itís shockingly heartfelt. But itís also rude, crude, nasty, and very silly. It doesnít nail every joke (hilariously dated Britney Spears reference included) but itís a really fun watch. I think I still prefer Bride since I like Ronny Yuís style, the 90ís aesthetics, and I feel like the kills are more memorable but man I love this series and these 2 in the middle of the run are really interesting.

Also shoutout to the lovely John Waters cameo as the pervy-paparazzi Pete Peters. Itís unconfirmed but I just have a feeling that John took one look at this script, read the scene where he spies on a masturbating Chucky and exclaims ďOh god, bless the little people!Ē and said IM IN!

1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. Bride of Chucky* 5. Seed of Chucky () 6. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 () 7. Rawhead Rex 8. Victor Crowley
9. Scare Package ()
10. Jason Goes to Hell 11. Verotika

*=rewatch
= Fran Challenge- #2, #9, #12

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

12. Army of the Dead

As Iím seeing with a lot of people, I found this one a bit of a mixed bag. I love the idea of this film, a zombie heist movie with dumb action with a big cast. I wanted Oceanís 11 meets The Expendables meets Dawn of the Dead.

But it didnít quite deliver for me. Itís too tonally inconsistent. Itís not the big dumb action movie that I wanted since most of the action isnít all that exciting, barring whenever Batista starting knocking the poo poo outta some zombies. And if it wanted to be more focused on character drama then cut out about half these people and focus on that. And the heist isnít really developed- give me a twisting and turning, clever journey to get to that vault. Once they get into Vegas they just find the vault and itís a lame boring hallway. No intrigue there at all. So instead of being a great action or drama or heist film, it tries to be all 3 and doesnít do a great job at any of those genres. And visually, itís just butt-ugly. Blurry, artificial, grey, and brown.

But itís not all bad. I loved pretty much everything with the zombies, the look, the little society they have built, the opening sequence. Sure it borrow a lot from an already established genre but everything with the zombies was done well. Zeus and the Queen were great. I have a lot of time for a zombie tiger. Batista has gone from ďisnít it crazy how good he is?Ē to just ďhe is a very talented actorĒ fullstop. Dieter and Tig were very funny. I loved how obviously inserted in post Tig was but with her weird dry humor it worked perfectly. A happy accident given some real lovely circumstances.

Its runtime is ridiculous but didnít feel oppressive. Itís an interesting world that has been built by Snyder here, I just wish it had more focus and a higher attention span.

1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. Bride of Chucky* 5. Seed of Chucky () 6. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 () 7. Rawhead Rex 8. Army of the Dead 9. Victor Crowley 10. Scare Package ()
11. Jason Goes to Hell 12. Verotika

*=rewatch
= Fran Challenge- #2, #9, #12

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

13. Mausoleum
Fran Challenge #7

10 year old Susan attends her motherís funeral only to find herself possessed by the same demon that has possessed every first born member of the Nomed (thatís right) family.

Thatís how Mausoleum starts off and this one turned out to be a pretty fun piece of campy schlock horror. Itís stars Bobbie Breese, who was in a few similar movies in the 80s and she does a good job hamming it up as the demon possessed seductress. Itís a real basic movie, Susan finds a victims, usually seduces them, kills them, and moves on. Eventually B-Movie regular Marjoe Gortner and her therapist find the book of exposition that explains the demon curse and how to end it. It has the sweaty, hairy, poorly acted feel of a late-70s porn.

But itís not without its charm. In particular it has a variety of fun special effects courtesy of the late-great John Carl Buechler. Glowing green eyes, ribs bursting out of chests, people being tossed off of the second floor of a mall, and Susan herself who eventually transforms into a full-on rubber demon. Itís awesome and of course her breast turn into two little demon puppets and thatís just some quality filmmaking. If you like this brand of sleazy, goofy, trashy 70s/80s horror, itís worth checking out.

And Iím done! I might sneak one or two more in tonight..

1. Bride of Re-Animator* 2. Ginger Snaps 3. Frankenhooker* 4. Bride of Chucky* 5. Seed of Chucky () 6. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 () 7. Rawhead Rex 8. Mausoleum () 9. Army of the Dead 10. Victor Crowley 11. Scare Package ()
12. Jason Goes to Hell 13. Verotika

*=rewatch
= Fran Challenge- #2, #7, #9, #12

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The final list
1. Bride of Re-Animator*
2. Ginger Snaps
3. Frankenhooker*
4. Bride of Chucky*
5. Seed of Chucky ()
6. House on Haunted Hill Ď99 ()
7. Rawhead Rex
8. Mausoleum ()
9. Army of the Dead
10. Victor Crowley
11. Scare Package ()
12. Jason Goes to Hell
13. Verotika

*=rewatch
= Fran Challenge- #2, #7, #9, #12

Biggest Surprise - House on Haunted Hill remake was shockingly fun! Ginger Snaps is a close second (and the better film) but I went in expecting more out of that one.

Best Effects Shot - Frankenhooker

Best Line - Bride of Chucky

Biggest Disappointment - If Verotika was a bit more unhinged and less boring Danzig could be the next Tommy Wiseau. Perhaps if he steps in front of the camera next time...

MVP Award - Jennifer Tilly is a treasure and she is a big reason the extended Chucky universe works beyond Childís Play. Honorable mentions to Jeffery Coombs and the big goofy muscle man in that Rawhead Rex costume.

Overall a great time was had and I canít wait till October