Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

As much as I usually end up going whole hog insane with a 50+ count on this, this go I'm just committing to somewhere around 15-20. The reason for this is my state hit whatever vaccination goals it had and we'll be opening up. My job's doing a staggered open to get all the bugs worked out so it's only a matter of waiting for the call for my location and see what happens from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

1) The Dead Don't Die - Prime - 2019

I liked the trailer. It had me ready to go see this on the big screen, but it was rotated out by the time I had a chance to see it.

Well...I think I've come to a new film status descriptor.

To start, I think the premise has promise. I liked the cast. Tilda Swinson's on my list with Greta Garbo for 'I wish I looked a fraction as good as they do in a tux/suit.' The effects were good. I even liked the country song made for the movie. This film had a budget, yet somehow with all that said, drat this film felt like a low to no budget thing thrown together with a dash of pretentious on top.

Ah, where to begin... A fair chunk of the cast is wasted in what's barely cameos. All of Carol Kane's part is in the trailer. The zombies only speak what their obsession was in life such as coffee, wi-fi or fashion and they will make a beeline towards that obsession such as the coffee addicts charge after the coffee pots in the diner. This could've been an intriguing change for zombies, but no, they still also go after the living and eat flesh.

The plot isn't so much a plot but barely strung together vignettes. There's the three twentysomethings that come into town and have some screentime, but that goes nowhere and they die offscreen. Teens in a juvenile facility get some screentime, but that trails off and who knows what happens with them. Zelda the unusual undertaker who's the one you definitely want on your side with how good she is with a sword has the buildup that you think she's going to be a significant character, nope... Turns out she's an alien and just goes back to her home planet. And the final kick to the tetas is the bit with Cliff and Ronnie over Ronnie read the full script and Cliff only got the pages with his scenes. The Hermit Bob commentary didn't help either with his deploring humanity's drive to consume whether it's money, food, books or whatever.

If I'd seen this at the show, I would've been salty as gently caress.

As it was, I was annoyed enough to look up Jarmusch's filmography since I wanted to avoid any of his films with how much of a sour taste this one left me with. Apparently I did sit through Night on Earth but can't remember a thing about it other than the coverbox.

Unless you really like Jarmusch's work, I'd say avoid this. There's only so much time and that can be spent on watching better movies.

2) SLAXX - Shudder - 2020

Okay....Murder Pants.

I did not have high expectations going in on this one. I'm not only happy I was wrong, but I laughed so hard in parts I startled Herbert-cat.

For all my years working retail, I've pretty much worked with all the types in this film. I've also worked many an overnight prep for a big launch the next day. Higher ups come in and you have to fake the energy for the bullshit. This film hits all the points on that.

Pretty much if you've seen the trailer, you've got a good gist of the story. I was really pleasantly surprised to see the film bring up Greenwashing. For those not familiar with the term, it's when a company or product is pushed as eco-friendly, organic, or not-GMO when it's not. It plays on people's want to do good and be responsible for our planet (or to virtue signal such). There's a variety of reasons for this, to keep relevant to the film and not have me go off on a tangent on my particular social cause, we'll look at costs and demand.

We all know it's pricy to go the eco-friendly/organic route. Even for a honest company, it's hard to break even much less make a steady profit since yields are different. Throw in a huge demand and that makes it all the harder. In the film, the big 'eco-friendly, ethically made, organic materials, no GMOs' company is anything but. It turns out the Murder Pants happened when Keerat, a little girl picking the GMO cotton ends up falling into the cotton gin and her remains get mixed up with the cotton that becomes the new in demand jeans for the company and her spirit's out for revenge. As far as the company goes, it's a matter of jeans cost $5, but sell for $100+ and that's the way to roll. As far as the customer goes, they follow the hype and pay out. I'm of the stance if you're going to go the eco-friendly/organic route, own it, lace up that boot and strut while accepting you're not going to see particular profit margins unless you reevaluate things like those high executive salaries.

My only ehhh moment was at the end, when Libby's at the door with the Murder Pants and the shopping crowd's pounding on the door. Libby begs Keerat to have mercy on the shoppers, that it isn't justice. I beg to differ. This crowd is so in an afoudia over these clothes, they readily trample Libby to death. To me, I considered it justice when the Murder Pants attacked.

Overall, I really liked the movie and recommend it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

3) Train to Busan presents: Penninsula - Shudder - 2020

Train to Busan's one of my favorite zombie films, so it's a given I'd be sitting through the sequel. As a zombie film, this one's fine enough, but as a TTB sequel, ehhh....it could be better.

Set four years after the first movie, a group of Korean refugees in Hong Kong are tasked by a crime boss to go back to Korea to bring back a truck filled with millions of dollars that had been left behind. We know this isn't going to go Ocean's 11 smooth.

I don't know if it's the sheer volume of zombie films I've sat through, or my age or some combination of both, but I had some nitpicks on this one. First off, I liked the zombie look. It did seem plausible enough for four years wear and tear on zombies. The survivors in the city...they came across more like Land of the Dead's decades than four years of zombie shitshow. I don't know if it's a me thing or what, but I am beyond tired of the Mad Max-esque settings that come with any zombie movie that's not narrowed down to initial outbreak. Especially in this movie where it's established only Korea's affected by the zombies and the rest of the world's fine. I find it hard if not impossible to believe that Korea would be left to its own devices for years when you consider the risk of spread to somewhere like China.

At this point I'm thinking if there's going to be a zombie apocalypse film where people actually team up for the common good's going to happen, I'm going to have to write the thing myself.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

3. Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter (1974)

I highly recommend the novelization by Guy Adams. It's with Brian Clemens' blessing and incredibly good. There's also a graphic novel/comic miniseries of it that I haven't picked up.

4) Game of Death - Shudder - 2017

This was okay enough. It wasn't great, but it wasn't completely awful. Plot involves a group of unlikable teens partying up and deciding to play the Game of Death only to find actual death is really involved.

On the plus side, it was nice seeing the evil game being one of the LED electronic ones I remember from when I was a kid. Another plus was the gore effects were nice. The rest was hit or miss. A couple of the teens decide to head to a hospice to finish off the game's kill counter, while another couple decide after killing a few that killing's not their thing so they feel what's left of their group allow the game to kill them to save others. The ending's pretty much expected.

From what I gather, this was originally an eight episode series so that explains the odd pacing this had with me. I feel the concept has potential but how it was handled here's lacking. Some tweaking around would definitely improve things.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

5) The Roost - Debbie's Bracket Streamshow - 2005

If I'd seen this on my own, I'd consider it okay. The groupwatch elevated it to a I like this.

On average, I do like Ti West's horror work. Even Innkeepers that didn't quite click with me, I probably will give that another try. In the case of The Roost, it's one of his early films so while it has it's floundering moments, you can see the glimmer of potential here.

Story is a horror host's movie showing where four friends heading to a wedding have a car accident and walk to a farmhouse for help only to be besieged by bats who's victims turn into zombies.

I absolutely adored the horror host bit. Took me back to my childhood watching the horror host movies. The movie bit was kinda hit or miss. It wasn't so much bad as fumbly which is understandable for a still learning filmmaker. I find myself wanting Ti West to remake this one taking into account how much he's learned since.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

6) Get Duked - Prime - 2020

This has to be the most Scottish rendition of The Most Dangerous Game in existence. It's fairly heavy on the humor compared to the horror, I did snortlaugh hard enough it hurt. But the heavy humor doesn't distract from the pure horror aspects.

Storyline's a group of boys are signed up by their teacher to do the Duke of Edinburgh award where they go off into the Highlands, navigate to a campsite with a paper map and demonstrate teamwork and outdoorsy skills. Of course it turns out their trip's not going to go as planned.

The shots of the Highlands are gorgeous, and do convey how isolated the boys are. The cast does a great job, though it was a little disconcerting for me to see Miss Higgins from Call of the Midwife as one of the hunters.

I would definitely include this in a marathon with Hot Fuzz. I enjoyed it a lot and highly recommend.

7) Arsenic & Old Lace - DVD - 1944

I know a few reading this are thinking "Wait...that's over in the comedy section.", but I'd say a black comedy with serial killers set on Halloween works just as well as horror.

Storyline is Mortimer Brewster's a writer who's denounced marriage as outdated and old fashioned ends up falling in love and gets secretly married. They both go to tell their respective families the news before going off on their honeymoon. Mortimer's family are his two sweet elderly aunts and his brother Teddy who's under the delusion he's really Teddy Roosevelt. While he's gathering a few things, he finds a dead body in the window seat and things get rolling from there.

It turns out that Mortimer's sweet aunts are serial killers. Luring in lonely old bachelors, they end their loneliness with some elderberry wine spiked with arsenic, strychnine and a pinch of cyanide. Their victims are buried in the basement by Teddy who's told they're yellow fever victims from digging the Panama Canal.

This film's one of my all time favorites. One of my Mom's favorites too. It was originally a Broadway play with Boris Karloff playing Johnathan. I wish I'd had the chance to see the play just to compare to the movie. The cast is excellent and the tight pacing keeps things flowing. It's got that fast pace organic wit that you just don't see in movies anymore.

I highly recommend this one even though it's kinda killed my interest in trying elderberry wine.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

8) Spontaneous - Prime - 2020

This popped as a recommendation to me and I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Synopsis is the seniors at a high school start spontaneously exploding for no reason. That sounds like there's going to be some clear horror here but it was more like a barely there bit of scenery. Someone explodes, there's lots of blood spray and screaming and that's essentially it. It felt more like a piece of the backdrop. Even the parts in quarantine came across more like 'bored at summer camp'.

This felt more like a teen romance/coming of age film than the expectation the poster and trailer left me of a horror comedy. It makes me wonder what audience this film's aiming for. The romance aspect fits for a YA crowd, but all the references they make to E.T. and 90s music's more something you'd expect aiming for my generation.

Overall, I don't regret watching this movie, but I'm annoyed at how it's going to throw off my algorithm. Last time this happened because I bought ONE trashy novel from the 80s, I spent three days having to clear out all the romance novel recommendations Amazon kept throwing at me.

And on an unrelated note: I'M BACK TO WORK!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

9) Who Slew Auntie Roo? - Prime - 1972

When I first saw this when I was a pre-teen, I wasn't sure what to make of it. Sitting through it when I was older and it's an odd one. Reviews keep calling it a retelling of Hansel & Gretel, but that's more of a maybe and if you tilt your head to look at it a certain way.

Plot's centered around widow Rosie Forrest who's lost her young daughter in an accident. She holds a big Christmas party for the local orphans, and she also sings lullabies to her mummified daughter upstairs. She's also being preyed upon by a charlatan psychic and her butler about contacting her dead daughter.

This time at the Christmas party, there's a couple stowaways tagging along with the ten best behaved from the orphanage. Instead of sending the brother and sister back, Auntie Roo insists on them staying because the little girl strongly resembles her dead daughter. This is not going to end well by any stretch.

My take on this is the little boy, Christopher is the real monster here. While the orphanage has written him off as a congenital liar with a wild imagination, and life at the orphanage has to be pretty poo poo from the get go, it's Christopher who pushes the idea Auntie Roo's a witch going to eat them. Even when it turns out the preparation for a big fireup in the kitchen's for a pig roast, Christopher pushes that after they cooked the pig, they were going to be next. He's pleased about the fire he starts that kills Auntie Roo, and he and his sister gets away with the jewelry they stole from her.

The cast here's mostly okay, though Shelley Winters completely knocks it out of the ball park. Recently I learned that during the filming of this movie she was going through a nervous breakdown, so I wonder how much of her personal pain she channeled through her acting for this one.

Overall, the movie's good. I'd be quicker to call it House of Issues than a retelling of Hansel & Gretel. I'd put it in a marathon with What Happened to Baby Jane and What's the Matter with Helen.

Though for how many times I've sat through this one, I still have one question: What happened with Auntie Roo's cat?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

10) Ring of Darkness - Prime - 2006

I had my misgivings going into this one, but I saw Adrienne Barbeau was in it so I figured to give it a watch. This goes past clunker into 'ooof'.

First off, I want to know how the hell this got a 'R' rating. I seriously doubt anything R-worthy happened when I got up to get something to drink.

Plot's one that's been done before, boy band + occult. Here, it's done in the most bland way possible. Essentially the boy band is undead. What type, go figure. They went down in a plane crash back in the 50s and their manager resurrected them except for their lead singer who was too messed up for resurrecting. So they've been recruiting new lead singers and turning them undead over the years. When their manager got too greedy, they killed him off and taught Barbeau the spells so she can keep things rolling. Even this was handled lackluster. The issue of Afterlife with Archie where it covered Josie & the Pussycats as vampires handled this worlds better. For how often they repeat the showing of their big hit video, you could make a drinking game out of it and get pretty snookered.

This is too crappy a film to include in a cheesy movie marathon. It's skippable.

11) Attack of the Demons - Shudder - 2019

Animated horror's hit or miss with me. I'll either love it or not. This one's a love it.

Animation style is reminiscent of first season South Park, but more effort put into it. If this film was live action, it would be gorier than BrainDead and Evil Dead combined. Plot is a demon summoning happens during a film & music festival in Colorado.

Everything was pretty good in this movie though the voice acting could've used a little work. It's definitely worth a watch.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

12) Night of the Living Dead: Reanimated - TubiTV - 2009

I'd been looking for this one for a while, but kept finding NotLD: Reanimation.

Approximately 150 artists contributed to this, animating portions of the movie to the movie sounds. The variety of styles is impressive, ranging from claymation, stop motion action figures, comic book, and more. Some of it works, and some of it doesn't.

Overall this is definitely worth a watch for the experience.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

13) Talon Falls - Prime - 2017

I think this might've worked better if it'd been released five years earlier. It's the standard people go to an exclusive and extreme haunted house which turns out badly for them.

The gritty torture-ganza things comes across dated and stale since the genre's moved on from that. It's not impossible to make a torture-ganza film now, but the key thing is you have to bring something new to the table and Talon Falls definitely doesn't. It's overlong at 74 minutes, and could've worked fine as a short film.

Unless you're doing a torture-ganza movie marathon, this is quite skippable.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

1. Short Cuts

Watch 60+ minutes worth of horror short films and review them.

Hopefully I haven't repeated any from the last 60+ minutes of horror shorts challenge.

A) Death Metal 4.46 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BpmKnEtVO0

A metalhead plays a satanic guitar in the park. I liked this one, it was funny.

B) Recovered Footage: Tau Omicron Xi Initiation Tape 4.34 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyV12sGdY0U

Local58 inspired quite a few channels doing creepy or mysterious found tapes. While not quite the quality of Local58, they are telling pretty decent creepy stories. The Minerva Alliance this one's from looks to be doing a 'there's a paranormal world just out of sight of our own' thing. In this sorority initiation tape, there is some briefly flickered message that I've copied under the spoiler tag so you can read it after watching. Of course after I transcribed it, someone else already did it in the comments.

We siphon the ichor of youth. So we can discover the truth. Of what our full potential is. And why we could not achieve this.

Nature itself is a burden. On our lives, already broken. By the cold, cruel world around us; To overcome all of this we must.

Our ancient practices permit. Us to make time itself submit. To our will, to our desire. For us to never expire

Rejuvenation is the key. To our ultimate destiny. Eternal youth will set us free. From natural powers that be

Youth is only for the worthy. Those who prize it like a trophy. Any who do not believe this fact. Should not be in sisterly pact

Our existence is forbidden. By those who want the truth hidden. In the decades since our founding. The hunt for us, never ending

The sisters brought into our midst. Swear to abide by all of this: Serve the flock at any and all costs. Else all we have worked for is lost

The sister on high is our guide. By her vast wisdom we abide. From her come the fruits of knowledge. That we use to our advantage

Our youthful forms pervert nature. And thus are anything but pure. But eternal youth is the light. That keeps our futures shining bright

C) Home Invasion Help - Gemini Home Entertainment 5.39 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yX55S8lGQ0

Gemini Home Entertainment's storyline looks to be covering some strangeness going on in rural Minnesota. I picked this as one of the more interesting ones.

D) Welcome Back, Mr. Buzzcock 4:43 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itoZtRZDdAo

I snortlaughed at this. I hope it ends up being one of their miniseries.

E) The Video Store Comercial 4.07 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epz_RRpGlW0

They had me at 'The cultiest cult film'.

F) Frost Bite 9.25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPkx6aGR_2s

I wouldn't mind seeing this fleshed out into a movie. Ending had me sniffling.

G) One Last Meal 10.39 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-Z6XN6hAE

I had a feeling where this one was going, but it does have me wondering how would they handle something like this in real life.

H) Don't Look Away 8.19 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f3hG-5grlw

This is another that I'd like to see fleshed out into a movie. As it is, it feels like a portion of one. I did laugh at the "I'll tell you tomorrow" bit.

I) Childer 17:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRCK3umiKQQ

I knew I was going to be in for something tense when the mother flipped out over possible dirt on her shoes from standing on the front stoop. I didn't quite expect the twist that happened, but it fit considering everything else. It does leave me wondering how the hell did she end up with kids? I can't see her having them the traditional way so was she stealing them or something else?

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 12, 2021

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

2. Sometimes They Come Back

14) I Spit on Your Grave - Prime - 2010

I've seen the original multiple times, even own the anniversary edition with the good commentaries. I knew this remake came out but I was perfectly fine not seeing it since I'd seen the original.

Having sat through it, I still would've been fine not watching it. The version on Prime's the unrated one.

I think the people behind this one just considered the original as 'that old rape/revenge movie people still talk about' and figured let's ramp that poo poo up.

In the original, Jennifer's brutally raped by the gas station guys, then just as brutally gets her revenge. Here, OH GOD the camera just liiiiiingers on her abuse and rape completely unlike the original. Then if it wasn't enough she was raped by the gas station guys, here she also gets raped by the police when she reports the earlier attacks. After Jennifer falls off the bridge into the river, the film shifts to showing the rapists having humanizing moments like feeling guilt and family time while now getting stalked like in a standard slasher film.

Jennifer in the original soulsearched before going on her revenge with the planning mostly being certain of having a weapon on hand. Here, it's as if a switch was flipped and Jennifer's now a plotting slasher to the point she even visits the family of one of her rapists. Each of her revenge kills are elaborate affairs which again, the camera just liiiiiiingers on.

I think of all the negative that was said about the original and I feel the remake is far more guilty. While the original is skeezy and grimy, the remake's professional sheen makes the content feel more 'I need to take a long hot shower to feel clean'.

Definitely skip this one in favor of the original.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

3. Camp BLOOD

15) Moonstalker - TubiTV - 1989

In some parts this was a bit generic, but in others they were trying something a little different. It's part wilderness slasher and camp slasher.

Here, we have two backstories that both work. We have Pop telling us of his son, Bernie who was committed to an asylum that Pop broke him out of and we have another where Pop's family lived on the mountain and got the boot when a recreational camp was getting built.

Just from that, you can get an idea where this is going.

I did like Bernie's look with the straitjacket and face covering. It was unique enough to separate it from the standard mask wearing slasher. When he changed over to the cowboy hat and shades, I lost a little interest.

Overall, this wasn't bad. It's about par for a late 80s slasher with a few bits of attempting something different.

Franchescanado posted:

4. Movie of the Month

16) The Cremator - Criterion - 1969

I'll have to revisit this one down the road since I'm probably not in the best headstate for it. Technical/craftwise, it's incredibly good. The actors are also incredibly good but this just didn't click with me at this time.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Class3KillStorm posted:

And thus begins the great "biped vs. quadruped" werewolf wars...

poo poo, why do I want to write a spec script called Werewolf Wars now?

Well, quadruped feels more closer to folklore, but biped's movie traditional.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

17) The Curse of the Crying Woman - Dailymotion - 1963

Holy poo poo, it's Bava without Bava. I loved the cinematography in this one, all that lovely 60s era gothic atmosphere with the twisted woods, cobwebs, fog, crumbling architecture, the most adorable chubby butt rats, and howling winds.

Storyline has nothing to do with the legend of La Llorona. Instead, we have a cursed lineage of witches working to resurrect their infamous ancestor.

The effects for the most part are pretty decent save the occasional visible wire. The version I sat through was dubbed, but that just makes me really want to pick up a subtitled version....preferably on Blu-ray.

This will fit in fine with Black Sunday as a double feature.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

I just want them to make a Michael Gallatin movie. For those not familiar with the books: he's James Bond in World War 2, except instead of having gadgets he's a werewolf.

And I would be there opening day to watch it.

Franchescanado posted:

6. Playing With Power

18) Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings - Prime - 1994

I didn't expect this challenge to be so challenging.

I thought through every horror video game and I'd pretty much written a review about the movie they were based on. Blair Witch..yep, Texas Chainsaw Massacre...yeah, Halloween...yep...the list went on until I found this. Unless another movie comes out and has a video game tie in, I've seen them all.

On its own, Pumpkinhead II's okay, just not as good as the original. Storyline's a basic Sins of the Fathers with both fathers and kids being assholes. Andrew Robinson is, of course excellent in this.

The game came out around the same time as the movie and is kinda DOOM-esque. Here's a Let's Play of sorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSvXbmVcEOY

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

7. Mother's Day

19) Mom and Dad - Prime - 2017

When looking for a poster image for this one, I came across plenty of commentary praising this as a hysterical black comedy and a great satire of suburbia. I'm wondering if we all sat through the same film.

Premise here is parents start following through with urges to kill their children. The kills are off screen and I did have to leave the room for a bit when the new mother tries to kill her newborn. There's also a fair amount of lamenting over how lives changed in becoming adults.

I don't know if it's a me thing, a my generation thing or what, but there was the expectation that you will change with adulthood, and we were all looking forward to that independence. When I was 16, I moved into my parents furnished basement as an apartment training wheels thing so when I did eventually move to my own place, I was ready. When I had my kids, I knew I would be sacrificing aspects of my life until they grew and moved on with their lives. Looking back on my younger days, yeah, there were fun times but also sucky times as well.

With Kendall and Brent, I had the feeling they were more hung up on the nostalgia of being younger and carefree rather than also remembering the sucky parts even before the kill impulse started.

I will admit, I didn't expect when the grandparents showed up with the same kill impulse to kill the parents, and I did laugh at "Kendall's not even a real name!".

Cinematography-wise, there were odd jarring moments of hyperstyle with sped up filming and soundtrack. Once I saw the director of this was the same one who did the Crank films, it made sense. He was probably trying to convey the same high adrenaline sensation as the Crank films, but I don't think it works too well here.

Overall, this film really didn't do it for me, but it does have me thinking Hollismason is onto something with that mindful consumption idea.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

8. Dead & Buried

20) Jaws of Satan - Youtube - 1981

Norman Lloyd passed away back in May at the age of 106. He had a pretty busy career, mostly playing doctors.

The plot here is Satan or a demon takes the shape of a king cobra to wreck havoc on the latest descendant of a line of priests that were cursed by the druids back in the day. The film has some incredible cinematography, which is no surprise with Dean Cundey and Raymond Stella behind the camera. Cast features names like Fritz Weaver. I believe this is also Christina Applegate's first film.

The film's okay, but for one that got a theatrical release, this has such a TV Movie of the Week feel. It's rated R but even going by the old standards for the rating, I can't see how it got that and not something like PG.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

9. Scream, Queen!

20) Scream, Queen! My Nightmare On Elm Street - SHUDDER - 2019

I'd held off watching this because I knew it'd be a rough watch. But with being back to work and my head's improving along with a Fran Challenge, watching it now is as good a time as any.

Having sat through it, WOW. If there was ever a need to see documentary, it's this.

To start, Mark Patton is an inspiration for everything he persevered through. This documentary also confirmed my stance that Chaskin and Sholder are lying sacks of poo poo. If watching NoES2 back as a teen with my horror movie friends and all of us from a traditional Italian/Sicilian upbringing can see the gay themes in the movie, then there's no way in hell those two didn't. I felt both were still weasling around, but if Mark's okay with the apology he got from Chaskin, that's the main thing. If it was me, I would've also made a call to a legbreaker to settle further. I did want to reach through the screen and throttle Sholder when he had the audacity to tell Mark he was overreacting. Who the hell is he to decide that?

The rough part for me was the coverage of the AIDS panic since I remember living through that. I had family die from GRIDS, and I lost friends who were sure I'd catch it being in the same room with AIDS patients. The fear mongering by the media was a nightmare.

I thought the documentary did a good job covering early 80s Hollywood attitudes for the time allotted. It makes me want to look for what documentaries are out there on Hollywood's on again-off again attitudes regarding LGBT+.

Overall, this was a great documentary and I freely admit to being jealous that Mark got kissed by David Bowie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

10. Behind the Mask

21) To Hell and Back: The Kane Hodder Story - SHUDDER - 2017

I'd always thought well of Kane Hodder. From the people I knew who met him, they had nothing but good to say. After sitting through this documentary, my respect for him's grown.

I was pretty familiar with his film career, but the rest was new to me. Good God this man's been through a lot. I winced a bit at his telling of his burn recovery. Overall, the documentary's on the long side but it doesn't particularly feel it since Kane's a good storyteller.

Definitely recommend this one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

11. Myths & Legends

22) CarousHELL - Prime - 2016

To absolutely no surprise here, I watched the killer carousel unicorn movie.

Storyline follows Duke, a unicorn on a carousel ride. He hates the job, hates the kids, and he snaps when one rubs a booger on him and then it's a trail of carnage as he's determined to get That Kid.

This was delightfully schlocky. The dialog cheesy and the gory practical effects nicely done. There's even human/unicorn sex that I didn't expect them to go there, but they did. I wasn't sure how they'd make it work with the unicorn being solid crafted, but they pulled it off. There is also a sequel that's in the works.

Overall, I liked it, but then I do love my cheesy horror.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

12. Cavalcade of Creepiness

23) The Uncanny - TubiTV - 1977

I can't remember if I've seen this one before. If I did, it's been at least 30+ years since I sat through it.

Anyways, this anthology's all about cats. The wraparound is an author who's convinced cats are supernatural creatures of eeeeevil, and the individual stories are his proof about cats.

We have the tale of the wealthy woman leaving her fortune to her kitties, and is murdered so her nephew inherits. The kitties, of course, protect their inheritance. There's the actor who murders his actress wife so his mistress can get the primo role, they also try to kill the wife's cat but do kill the cat's kittens. The wronged kittie gets due revenge. Then there's the orphaned girl who has to move in with relatives who make her get rid of her cat. She gets payback.

Overall, this feels like a Tigon/Hammer/Amicus anthology, but was from a different studio altogether. I liked it.

And since Herbert-cat watched this with me, his review is "Mroor maow maar."

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

13. Horrible Holidays

24) A Cadaver Christmas - TubiTV - 2011

This was pretty much what I was expecting for a cheapy bit of cheese. The effects were good, actors okay. Where I started to get a skosh nitpicky, was the retro angle. It's not so much this film, but more something I've been sitting on and this film stirred it up.

I'm probably going to sound ridiculous, but having grown up through the 70s and 80s, I pick up the flaws in modern retro without trying. To those who grew up later, it's probably no big deal. But it throws the feel off for me when the film's digital level of clarity with the added scratch and pit effects overlay. Same goes for aiming for a particular time period and not getting the era's tech right. Even with films attempting the feel of the 50s and 60s, there's usually a stumble of it's clear it was digitally filmed or it doesn't quite get the nuance of original black & white.

I hate to make it sound like I expect Grindhouse level of perfection out of every retro style film regardless of budget, but so often it feels like a weak imitation when just a little extra effort would really add some pizzazz.

For the most part, the film feels like they're aiming for set in the 70s, but then there's the easter eggs that any of us here in the thread would catch, like Jack Burton's shirt, a Treevenge posting, and an Evil Dead poster so I'll consider it a pseudo-70s.

Overall, the movie was okay enough.

And I'm calling it here for the May Challenge. Since not many of the old crew returned to work, I've been pulling mad hours while we're getting the newbies trained. With how busy we'll be for Memorial Day weekend, I'm not going to have time for more movie watching by last call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Hell, even Carrie’s mom almost certainly got this way from abuse.

From what I remember in the book, when they interview Carrie's extended family, Carrie's mom was always leaning hyperreligious even when younger. It got worse when she met Carrie's dad. There was no mention of abuse, though who knows what happened with Carrie's dad.