Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

I'm going to shoot at 13 this go round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

E.G.G.S. posted:

I think Iíll start this challenge with Winterbeast.

Lucky, FedEx still hasn't delivered my latest VinSyn drop, USPS did much better

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

1) Blackula (1972,TV, The Grio)

I had never seen Blackula, so when I spotted that it was going to be on TV Saturday morning, I did a speedrun of my grocery shopping to get back in time for it. Unfortunately I missed the first few minutes so I don't know why he was cursed by Dracula himself, but I don't think that exactly hurt my enjoyment of the film.

I'm not really sure what to say about Blackula. It's decent, but there's not a lot that stands out to me. One of the more interesting elements is that Blackula encounters someone he believes is his reincarnated wife, and wants her to have freewill, rather than use hypnosis or turning her against her will.

Most of the film involves Blackula romancing his wife, wile a police detective attempts to convince the people around him that vampires are real and there's one in town.

Of course she does get turned, after a cop shoots at him and mortally wounds her. This didn't get to be the bigger plot point that I would hope it would be, as she's staked by the cops shortly after, making him commit suicide by walking out into the sun.

3/5

2) Scream Blackula Scream (1973,TV, The Grio)

Blackula's back, with the help of Voodoo.

This one is a little more fun in my opinion, even if there is a bit of a rehash with the cops getting in on the search. The addition of voodoo, was interesting, but not really utilized beyond a McGuffin.

This one did have a lot more fun with the climax where there is a house full of vampires just completely demolishing the police.

4/5

3) The Stepfather(1987, Shudder)

There was much discussion of this in the Horror Thread, and I definitely agree that it's a gory Lifetime Original Movie. Definitely enjoyable, and something I'd like to see more of.

I did grow up in Bellevue, WA, where the titular Stepfather's first family was from, so it was interesting to see a b-roll of the Bellevue Public Library sign, followed by an interior that was more like a local visitor's bureau, considering that the library at that time was decent sized, and I believe two stories (a new one was built in the early 90's and that building became Bellevue City Hall)

4/5

4) Winterbeast(1992, Blu-Ray)

Included in Vinegar Syndrome's newest boxed set "Homegrown Horrors Volume 1," this is a very low budget movie and it shows. Definitely not really a "good movie" per se, because it doesn't make a lot of sense, but there are some interesting scenes involving abandoned cabins, and some good enough composite work, with some fun stop motion monsters and a boss fight.

Maybe not something to watch on the regular, but it would make good background noise for a party, or perhaps something to project behind a band.

3/5

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

5) The Cellar (1989, Blu-Ray)

I popped in this Vinegar Syndrome disc and was greeted with something I hadn't seen before from VinSyn, the choice between the Director's Cut, and the Producer's Cut (website lists this as theatrical). Having had no previous frame of reference, I stared for a minute and then went with the Producer's Cut.

The Cellar is about some sort of monster in the basement that was created by the native Americans to kill white people, but it doesn't only kill white people. This film is about 75% padding. There's a bunch of things that get setup then forgotten, such as the villainous land owner. The native chief who only seems to serve as exposition, but at least had a decent enough scene taking the piss out of pop culture depictions of natives.

All in all, kinda boring, and could have used some more polish instead of just tooling around some nowhere town in Texas. The monster was ok, if generic IMHO.

Is the director's cut better? I'll probably give that one a go in a few years when I'm having a dull Saturday afternoon

2/5

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

These VS releases always look so tempting, but then I read reviews of the actual films and remember that they're probably not worth dropping $30 on. (though that Home Grown Horrors set is still calling my name...)

VinSyn usually has more hits than misses IMHO.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This is not a good movie but I love the awful projector and composite shots of the "giant" animals.

I want to pet that giant piggy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

6) Dig Two Graves (2015, Shudder)

quote:

After her brother's tragic death, a young girl is approached by three men who claim they can bring her brother back to life.

I found this one scrolling through Shudder, the description sounded interesting, it had 5 skulls, and look at that name, but I found it disappointing. I was hoping there would be ghosts, or a trip to the underworld, or any plethora of things about bringing someone back from the dead. Instead what I got was a slow burn melodramatic reverse-revenge movie.

The three men appear in a spooky enough fashion, but they're just regular rear end men, there is some sort of snake cult element, but it's nothing more than window dressing.

The kids do at least look age appropriate, and it's shot rather well, it's not often that you have a movie that feels like a cold late November afternoon.

Unfortunately the biggest sins were the scenes from 1947, where Ted Lavine, and the other sheriff actually look older than they do in the movie's present day of 1977. It actually took me forever to figure out that the other guy was the same person in the past. It's really not that hard to cast younger actors for a few flashback scenes, give them the same haircut and have someone say their name, that's it! I get it, you got Ted Lavine, but it's ok, you can use someone else as Ted Lavine 30 years in the past.

All in all, I found it just frustrating, because I kept waiting for something to happen.

2.5/5

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

twernt posted:

16. 1975. Race with the Devil
Directed by Jack Starrett
Available for rent on pretty much every service

I saw this one on TV at some point in the 90's, and think about it on occasion, mostly because I couldn't figure out if I had actually seen it or made it up, and I could never remember what it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Unfortunately, my employer has now blocked Something Awful because of "weapons," so I haven't been able to post as I normally would.

7) The Thing (2011), Blu-Ray

When I was reminded of my employer's rewards program, I figured this was a perfect time to snag this movie, since it was free to me. It was a really pleasant surprise that it was a lot better than I had expected it to be.

I had already known that it was a secret prequel, but I hadn't actually seen the Carpenter version in possibly about 15 years, so I didn't exactly catch most of the callbacks. It follows some similar enough beats to the Carpenter version, but it's fresh enough that you would be surprised. I actually felt that "the test" in this one was just as tense if not more, but it may also have been because this version was fresh to me.

I know the big criticism that it typically receives is that there was s a bunch of practical effects that got replaced with CGI, but I thought the CGI was fairly decent especially for 2011. There are definitely glimpses of the practical effects around the edges here and there, but, while I'm usually the first to opine CGI, I didn't find it glaring enough for the most part to complain too much.

All in all, I actually would recommend it, even if it's not as good as the original remake.

4/5

8) Frankenhooker (1990), Blu-Ray (rewatch)

Another movie from my haul of free to me thanks to work, I had seen it before some years back and loved it then, as I do now.

I don't even know what there is to say about Frankenhooker. It's something that has to be seen to be understood, and is best first experienced blind. I will say that I was surprised at how little the titular Frankenhooker was in this considering most of the movie involved our main character collecting the parts to create her.

3.5/5

9) The Thing (1982), Blu-Ray (rewatch)

Once more from the work haul. This was the Shout Factory Blu-Ray, I had been wanting to grab the Arrow version, since I felt the transfer looked warmer than the Shout version, but I found this one nice and warm to be honest. Free to me won out, so I don't regret it in the least.

If you haven't seen John Carpenter's remake of The Thing, what the hell is wrong with you? I am going to spoiler this one just in case you haven't seen the 2011 version.

This was definitely an interesting rewatch, it has been about 15 years since the last time I watched it, and it was coming off the heels of the 2011 remake/prequel.

Watching this one, I really was able to appreciate the attention to detail the 2011 version put into the Norwegian arctic base, they really id good at recreating it, including the set pieces that were no more than a minute or two in the 1982 version, so seeing what they recreated was a real treat. I think the one thing that was missed was the hosed up snowcat from the original was not at the site of the crashed UFO.

It's The Thing, I used to live for watching it yearly when it would air on the local UHF channel in the early 90's. Why aren't you watching it right now?

5/5

10) The Fly (1958), Blu-Ray

Part of the Shout Factory boxed set, and you guessed it, part of my work haul.

I didn't dislike it, but a lot of times, older movies will make me glad I grew up in the 80's and 90's when movies had a lot more going on in them, especially horror. It runs a bit slow for my tastes, and is definitely not something I would have expected to get a remake. It was nice to see the pieces that would end up becoming part of the Cronenberg version 28 years later.

I really liked the Fly's costume, sure it was 1958 cheap, but I would love to get my hands on one of those heads and arms, and be The Fly For Halloween. It was also neat to see a Detex Watch Clock in action.

3/5