Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

It's the smiles that keep us going. The bits of giggles and good cheer.

Iíll shoot for a minimum of 13 while also completing Fran Challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

1. Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies

I went into this knowing fully well what I was about to watch was not a good movie, not even close to as good as the first for which your miles may vary.

It didnít matter. I was in from the moment the FBI asks why he froze a guy to death and Divoff says ďHe needed to chill out.Ē In fact, I learned that all I need to enjoy my time is a wise-cracking Andrew Divoff because thatís all Wishmaster 2 provides and itís just fine. Itís also why I will not continue with the rest of the sequels.

I donít know if itís a bug or a feature that the movie was made in 1999 but looks and feels like it was made in 92.

2. The Neon Demon

My first viewing of Neon Demon was a Debbie rec to fulfill a Fran challenge. I love this movie so much this made the third time Iíve watched it since last October.

Whenever my wife works late on the weekend my teenage daughter and I do horror movie night and I thought this might be right up her alley as she is in to the fashion and makeup scene and itís not exactly terrifying or anything. She ended up really enjoying it.

Upon this viewing I was finally able to piece together the reason Gigi canít hold down her meal at the end ties back to Santos speech about her and all the work sheís had done. That she is false, fake, and can never be truly beautiful. Therefore she is unable to absorb Jesseís essence the way Sarah does.

If youíve been on the fence about Neon Demon the way I was for so long, I can not recommend it enough.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

3. Psycho 2 FC7

I know the forums have always appreciated the Psycho series so I was prepard for them to be good, but these sequels were still a treat. I really enjoyed rooting for Norman and hoping he was just being gaslit the whole time (which, kinda yeah kinda no) even though I knew in the end he would end up spending quality time with Mother.

Anthony Perkins just absolutely devours the entire set every time he's on the screen and Hugh Gillan is great as the worlds most understanding and sympathetic town sheriff. Psycho 2 also helped me learn that Meg Tilly is(was) a thing! Psycho 2 and 3 are both on the Peacock app and if you want to check them out.

4. Psycho 3

Not as good as 2 and not nearly as ambiguous but still a fun time. Once again Anthony Perkins is electric and the sheriff continues you be the most level headed police officer of all time. The highlight of Psycho 3 is in the final moments when for the first time we see Norman face first in full Mother attire and speaking in her voice and it so creepy and great. That scene is probably better than anything in 2 even if the rest of the film is not as strong.

My wife and I both really enjoyed both of the sequels.

5. Ghoulies

The gently caress is this poo poo? Ghoulies seems like someone was making a movie about Satan Worship and then Gremlins happened and they felt the need to change the name and shoe-horn in some small creatures. This is unfortunate because the Ghoulie puppets are gooey and awesome, its just that they are barely in the movie and make almost no difference to the film itself.

The film itself is ok.... I guess? It feels extremely rushed which just makes the Ghoulies being an afterthought even more strange. As far as special effects in the early 80s go you could do worse and the film does have some cool gooey parts as I mentioned. The titular Ghoulies are by far the best part but unfortunately too small a piece of the pie to really save it.

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 11, 2021

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Awesome I will try to squeeze it in this month, thanks!!!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

married but discreet posted:

1. Childís Play 2

Went into this one with very high expectations since I loved the first and was told this one is even better. Itís not. Itís, fine I guess? The intro showing the manufacture of Chunky is really neat and disturbing, the factory is a fun setpiece in the end, but inbetween nothing really interesting happens. When they finally do get to the Chunky factory, he gets it really bad, which is fun. Not mad that I watched it, but not really impressed either.

This was pages ago but I wanted to come back to it and let you know that this is not a popular opinion, most consider CP2 the best and an all timer horror sequel but I absolutely agree with you.

I thought it was a pretty generic slasher that did not live up to the original and if anything would have been better if Chunky was gaslighting Andy to the adults instead of instantly attacking them.

The ball-pump kill is an all timer though.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Do Psycho 2 or 3 count for the Motherhood challenge?

Psycho 2 especially considering who is doing the killing and why?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

6. Hausu

First time watch for me. One exercise I always like to apply to older movies while watching is to imagine what it was like to see it in a theater for its original release.

How many people walked out on this half way through? Of course in hindsight it is a classic but I can not imagine anyone who bought a ticket was originally expecting a technicolor acid dream that is lynchian at points.

From the moment they get to the watermelon stand through the very end Hausu does not relent on the madness. Everyone knows about the skeleton and then the ghost cat painting but my favorite moment was just before that when the lamp bites Kung Fu in half but her legs escape to deliver a flying kick to the cat painting. Just one of many great moments but the one that got the heartiest chuckle from me.

7. Pyscho (1998) FC2

So much about this remake is puzzling. Made by a talented director, with an INCREDIBLE cast from top to bottom (somehow though, the highlight is Flea playing ďBobĒ while wearing a shirt that says Rick) and yet it stinks out loud.

The biggest disappointment to me is that Vince Vaughn, whoís best trait is his charisma, provides 0 of the personality and charisma that Perkins brings to Norman. Maybe this was an artistic choice but if so it was a bad one. Yes, Norman is a creepy murderous wacko, but in the original he at least comes off as human enough to fool Marion for a bit until the mask slips. But as heís portrayed by Vaughn anyone would immediately be able to tell something is way off. It makes it much tougher to believe Aborgast would be trusting enough to let Norman get the jump on him.

Even the shower scene in the original is more effective and believable despite being black and white. Also if this is a modernization, why does Vigo Mortensen look like he was bussed in directly from 1952? It stinks.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

8. Silent Night, Deadly Night FC13

There will be spoilers ahead so if you care about that you should probably stop reading.

There are the bones of a very good movie here but due to piss poor writing it ends up being mediocre as hell.

I can really dig the idea of The Santa Clause but evil as heck, which is the premise laid out by the comatose grandfather in the very first scene. Directly following that we see a Mall Santa, for lack of a better term, leaving a job very upset he only got paid $30 for his work. Shortly thereafter he stops our main character and his family pretending to need help on the road.

You would think to rob them, as his only character development is that he was upset he didnít get paid enough, but no, he just brutally murders the parents for no real reason. This wouldnít be a problem normally, not everything needs an explanation, but whatís the point of the previous scene then?

After the first 10 minutes are non stop violence and creepiness, the movie jumps directly into a half hour of boring dialogue and clichť story telling. Eventually we end up with inevitable: Little Billy ends up a murderous Santa due to his PTSD. None of the killing has any tension at all, although there is one pretty cool kill.

Much like my posts, Silent Night, Deadly Night needed one (or two?) more pass through the writers room to straighten out some of the good ideas the movie has but are never clearly delivered upon.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

9. Holidays FC12

Horror Anthology based on and around Holidays. This has a pretty low rating on every site I checked and I donít really understand why. Itís not Trick R Treat but it would be, at worst, the second best VHS.

The stories are almost all creepy as hell, itís well shot, especially the Fatherís Day short. There are some really nice practical effects (the Easter Bunny owns).

Itís not all gold but itís more hits than misses and even the bad parts are at least competently made. I really donít understand the near universal displeasure with Holidays.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

10. The Burning FC3

I canít come up with the right words to describe this movie. It has the bones, and the heart, of a classic slasher but not the brains? It seems to be made by people who clearly like horror, and it has a lot of enjoyable features but itís just missing that something to push it over the top.

The setting is one every poster in this thread knows and loves, an 80s Summer Camp, and all the trappings that entails. The strange synth/saw score is effective and the heart beat sound effect stolen from The Thing will help you smile if for no other reason than you think of The Thing.

There are some great shots on the water, the performances are fine and you even get to see young Jason Alexanderís butt!

The film makers leave 0 mystery about who, why, how, and what is about to happen. Unfortunately they strangle the hell of the ďwhenĒ as it takes nearly a full hour before any real murders happen. The second large problem the movie has, is that all the killing is boring as hell. Every kill is done with a pair of hedge clippers but always in the exact same manner and at NO point is anyone decapitated which seems like a huge miss.

In summary, The Burning is a generic 80s summer camp slasher but it was so close to being more than that.

11. Nightbreed FC6

With all due respect to Basebf555, who has recommended me many good choices, this movie stinks.

Iíve read some other reviews that itís because of the lead actor, but he randomly disappears for a long stretch towards the end and it still stinks. Also he is the lead in the universally accepted 3rd best Hellraiser film ďInfernoĒ so how can it be his fault?

Half the monster designs are sub-Halloweentown levels and the plot of the movie is just Little Monsters meets Roger Rabbit but less funny and cool than both. The killers design is pretty cool looking but that is the only positive I can really think of.

12. Cronos FC5

As far as stealth vampire movies go, you could do worse! My only real complaint would be, that part makes up so little of the movie even though itís the most intriguing.

Cronos is well written, shot, acted, etc. but the truth is the mystery is no where near as interesting as the results. If wish Cronos spent less time on Ron Pearlmanís chase and explanation of what the device is, and more time showing its effects on the user.

Not to say I didnít enjoy the film though, like I mentioned itís Del Torro so even if itís early Del Torro, the craftsmanship is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Did I even really recommend Nightbreed? I guess I just try to be as positive as I possibly can about the stuff I watch but it's definitely a deeply flawed movie. No argument there.

Not specifically but it was your review that got me to search it out and youíve never done me wrong.