Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*in an extremely king solomon voice*

hmmm...the baby will be actually put to death. If you don't like it, here is your buyout.

now that's what I call a severance package!

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

barkbell posted:

someone brief me on why ruby and rails suck and how they suck to different degrees

ruby is perl/smalltalk fanfic. it’s slow, full of weird syntax edge cases, and basically impossible to reason about because everything’s a mess of dynamic spaghetti.

rails is omakase

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Soricidus posted:

ruby is perl/smalltalk fanfic. it’s slow, full of weird syntax edge cases, and basically impossible to reason about because everything’s a mess of dynamic spaghetti.

rails is omakase

turn on your monitor

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Zamujasa posted:

don't think of it as an implosion, just think of it as finally moving basecamp to the "done" column

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
there is no bless keyword in ruby. ergo, it is superior to perl.

also, it can be parsed. albeit barely.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ruby as smalltalk with better syntax is pretty cool. its main issue is that extremely unhygienic code modifications in the form of "monkey patching" is not only possible, but very ingrained in the popular style. i.e. adding code to existing classes in an ad-hoc fashion, meaning every significant piece of software makes e.g. lists have twelve extra behaviors dynamically show up. if these could be syntactically scoped in any sane way the language would be way better.

plus the p-lang tendency of having an extremely lazy (or possibly simply dumb) implementation, basically fully settling at the point where performance is better than that of bash and the screensaver not coming on in the gc pauses.

i still like ruby quite a bit, always a bit of a weird twist of fate that python beat it out.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i never really used ruby but it always seemed to me like an alternate timeline of python that really leaned in to all the worst parts of python

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Soricidus posted:

ruby is perl/smalltalk fanfic.

everything’s a mess of dynamic spaghetti.

rails is omakase

I'm stealing this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i cannot believe any professional programmer ever thought monkey patching was a good idea

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gotta move fast yo, I'm a 10x!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ruby is definitely a p-lang

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

gotta move fast yo, I'm a 10x!

more like 0x00000001

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

monkey patching is, very rarely, a pretty good way of doing something a little bit suspicious. on that occasion, dynamic proxies are usually good enough

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i never understood the first thing about Ruby

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
is it really cancel culture if you're just dunking on people for being dumb as hell?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

is it really cancel culture if you're just dunking on people for being dumb as hell?

"yes" --people being dunked on for being dumb as hell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

psiox posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

psiox posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

psiox posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ruby as smalltalk with better syntax is pretty cool.

except it’s not, it’s Smalltalk fanfic with far worse syntax

yes Smalltalk’s syntax is different than what everyone used to Algol-family languages like Pascal and C and JavaScript is used to, but that doesn’t make it bad

hell, it barely has syntax; like Lisp, a parser is like a single page of code, and both the syntax and semantics are ultra-simple

compilation of Smalltalk involves barely more than translating the AST into bytecode, such that some Smalltalk systems support source-level debugging of bytecode for which the source has been lost by just regenerating it sans comments and sensible variable names

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ruby as smalltalk with better syntax is pretty cool. its main issue is that extremely unhygienic code modifications in the form of "monkey patching" is not only possible, but very ingrained in the popular style. i.e. adding code to existing classes in an ad-hoc fashion, meaning every significant piece of software makes e.g. lists have twelve extra behaviors dynamically show up. if these could be syntactically scoped in any sane way the language would be way better.

plus the p-lang tendency of having an extremely lazy (or possibly simply dumb) implementation, basically fully settling at the point where performance is better than that of bash and the screensaver not coming on in the gc pauses.

i still like ruby quite a bit, always a bit of a weird twist of fate that python beat it out.

more depressing considering ruby 3 has a pretty good runtime with generational gc, jit, etc whereas python remains in the same doldrums as it always has. every time i hear of some major corp running critical infrastructure on python i can't help but think that their technical underpinnings are about equivalent to what a hs student with moderate interest in cs could produce in a few weeks.

don't believe me? stare into the abyss: https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/b0544ba77cf86074fb1adde00558c67ca75eeea1/Python/ceval.c#L1579

epitaph fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 3, 2021

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
pypy exists if you want gc and jit

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

barkbell posted:

someone brief me on why ruby and rails suck and how they suck to different degrees

poo-by on fails

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

psiox posted:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
These guys assumed they were Elon Musks and that They Had The Logical Answer but it turns out small companies without management boards restraining the insane founders don’t do very well.

I did enjoy the Twitter tech bros coming out of the woodwork to defend them. I really hope they don’t suffocate in their own-fart-sniffing chambers but at least the rest of the company can jump ship with some of their money.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

epitaph posted:

more depressing considering ruby 3 has a pretty good runtime with generational gc, jit, etc whereas python remains in the same doldrums as it always has. every time i hear of some major corp running critical infrastructure on python i can't help but think that their technical underpinnings are about equivalent to what a hs student with moderate interest in cs could produce in a few weeks.

don't believe me? stare into the abyss: https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/b0544ba77cf86074fb1adde00558c67ca75eeea1/Python/ceval.c#L1579

not sure what's bad about that besides it being a four thousand line C function that no one will read but this is a q for the terrible programmers thread not the "lmao dhh/basecamp" thread

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zamujasa posted:

don't think of it as an implosion, just think of it as finally moving basecamp to the "done" column

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
has basecamp finished imploding yet

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
basecramp

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Blasécamp

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
great, there seem to be a bunch of chuds on twitter harassing basecamp employees and generally embracing basecamp into their happy chud family

lol @ some people offering to work for free just to stick it to the lefties. go donate your time and money to people that don't need it, that'll show everyone with any sense of decency

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
am i right wing now because i agree with most of DHH's post

like, the dude funds the Citations Needed podcast which is the most accessible leftist pod around (this is why i remember him because they read his name in the credits every episode)

i dunno i just don't think "please don't talk about politics on company forum" should be that controversial

rails absolutely blows though, and ruby too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You may not be right wing, but you're probably not a comrade, yeah

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

You may not be right wing, but you're probably not a comrade, yeah

could be!

i'm thankful to not have been exposed to DHH's stupid online presence for the last 10 years because seeing some of it now, i'm starting to join the mob against him

if this is about him being a massive hypocrite then that's fair. but the verge article is like "and he posts about political causes all the time!" like it's a gotcha...but he never said employees shouldn't do that???

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when "don't talk about politics" also means "I'm immediately dissolving all DEI initiatives and handing them off to our one hr person" the word 'talk' is doing a lot of heavy lifting

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
true, there seems to be a LOT going on here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

when "don't talk about politics" also means "I'm immediately dissolving all DEI initiatives and handing them off to our one hr person" the word 'talk' is doing a lot of heavy lifting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"a cop pulled me over for no reason while I was driving to the data center it was scary" should not be actionable content

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
politics at work can be fine with two rules:

* dont hire chud shitheads. dont say "i dont care what their politics are as long as they do a good job!" dont hire chud shitheads.
* interaction with politics channels should vastly diminish as you go up the chain of management. if anybody with a title that starts with C is one of the top ten chatters in #social-politics, you have a big loving problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jonny 290 posted:

politics at work can be fine with two rules:

* dont hire chud shitheads. dont say "i dont care what their politics are as long as they do a good job!" dont hire chud shitheads.
* interaction with politics channels should vastly diminish as you go up the chain of management. if anybody with a title that starts with C is one of the top ten chatters in #social-politics, you have a big loving problem.

in this case the activites deemed talking about politics at work were conversations directly about work things and not side social chatter