Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Ammo is still in short supply so I picked another low-round-count shooting test. This one requires sixteen rounds, a shot timer or par timer, and a range that will let you shoot at 7 yards and 25 yards (and to shoot rapidly on one stage). The drill is timed to work well with a 15-round magazine (and another mag for a reload) if you run it as printed. But feel free to run it in any order you like.

The drill is shot on a B-8 bullseye target (printable version here). All rounds must hit within the eight ring of the target within the time frames at each stage. A single round outside the eight ring is a disqualification. If all your rounds hit inside the eight ring within the given time limits, then the drill is graded by your score. This is a 16-round drill with each stage shot from an unconcealed holster or with a gun picked up off a table or bench.

Stage 1- 25 yards- six rounds in 20 seconds

Stage 2- 7 yards- one round in 1.5 seconds

Stage 3- 7 yards- seven rounds in 4.5 seconds

Stage 4- 7 yards- fire one round, reload, fire one round. No overall time limit. Split time between shots before and after the reload should be less than 2.5 seconds. If using a par timer, call it 5 seconds to draw or pick the gun up from the table and fire one shot, then reload and fire a second shot.

Edit: If shooting a revolver or low-cap auto, on the seven-shot stage: fire six rounds in 4 seconds, or five shots in 3.5 seconds.

I haven't run this drill, ever, and it sounded interesting. It's supposed to be shot "cold" so give it a try that way if you can.

If you fail on the very first stage, I encourage you to finish the drill out to see what areas you need to work on. More than one run is okay especially if you're doing it for the sake of improvement; if you want to run it in different divisions that's fine too.

Divisions:

Centerfire Auto
Rimfire Auto
Centerfire Revolver
Rimfire Revolver
Other (Mare's Leg? Tac-14 with a mag extension? AR pistol at full arm extension, not shouldering the arm brace?)

Post your targets, your results, your successes and your failures.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Any special consideration for the seven-shot round? I have a rimfire revolver that can handle that, but none of my centerfire ones can without a reload.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

Any special consideration for the seven-shot round? I have a rimfire revolver that can handle that, but none of my centerfire ones can without a reload.

For you six-shooters, call it six rounds in 4 seconds. If you only have a five-shot, call it five rounds in 3.5 seconds.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Two attempts, two failures. Stage 1, first attempt, I fired all six shots in 13 seconds. On the second attempt, I told myself to slow down. I fired all six shots in 11 seconds.

The rest of my first attempt showed mediocre accuracy as well as solidly blown par times.

My second attempt, I was obviously under par on the first stage but had three rounds outside the 8-ring. The second stage, I couldn’t get below 1.88 seconds to first shot from a Level I duty holster. I just had a really hard time picking up the front sight quickly. Stage three, I got all seven rounds off under par and they were all hits. Stage four, my split on the reload was just shy of a second - it was 0.97. I was pretty happy with that.

Big takeaways: slow down on that first stage. And figure out why I am so slow to pick up the front sight.