Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

i think part of it is the people interested in making those kind of throwback games now probably just have a bit more interest in making weird spaces. esp in fatum, thats clearly the thing the dev wanted more than anything

absolutely agree - drat this reminds me i still gotta play anodyne 2. it is now a summer goal for me.

Stux posted:

post the most fatum betula screenies u got

similar stuff but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

played a lot of the ff14 resistance sidequest last week, the so called Save The Queen storyline. I appreciate that ff14 is a super streamlined themepark mmo where you barely need to talk to anyone if you don't want to because everyone intrinsically knows what to do, but also, I love these weirdass sandbox zones they make that operate on parallel universe everquest 2021 logic and no one really knows what the gently caress is going on. killing mobs to spawn bosses, that drop random overpowered consumable spells and items that can be combined in weird unobvious ways so everyone is operating on completely different levels. culminating in a dungeon thats multiple times larger than any other dungeon in the game and requires an unusual amount of cooperation with whatever random assholes you end up in there with (resistance handles this dramatically better than the last time they did this, where they spawned 56 portals and expected random people to walk through them but if you actually did you'd get yelled at and blacklisted by the discord cartel that organizes runs)

there's a part in one of the dungeons where the raid has to organically split into groups to simultaneously rescue 6 hostages before they're executed. its not too strict, you can get away with 3 or 4 groups that rescue 2 hostages each, but invariably you rescue your guy and go down another hall to help out there and realize no one went that way to begin with and the guy just gets murdered. then a little later on there's a fight where halfway through you have to nominate 8 players to step up to another, tougher fight, and if they gently caress up everyone else dies. it usually goes fine but often it doesn't, and imagine the potentiality of 1) having to decide who out of 48 people are The Best, and then after they gently caress it up 2) having to do it again to decide No Really, Who is The Best, on a time limit. thats the kind of mmo drama and communication inefficiency I thrive on

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also theres a fight in the zadnor dungeon where, after spending a couple hours fighting these bosses to level up and even get access to the dungeon, all the bosses reappear slightly amped up and are like "hope you remember our mechanics motherfucker, because now you're going to do them all back to back and at the same time", and i'm just pumping my fist the whole time, triumph of game design. rest of the dungeon isnt as good as that fight though, and the forced communication part there is much lamer than the prisoner rescue

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is the Bone Zone still a thing (from that one dragon zombie fight in that one 24-player raid)? Have extremely fond memories of tanking that fight, competing with the other tanks for control on where the boss should be positioned

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Drank a delicious shandy and played a bit more of the Stormblood campaign in FFXIV, it was pretty nice

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the Bone Zone is very much a thing but exclusively for my houseguests

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Is the Bone Zone still a thing (from that one dragon zombie fight in that one 24-player raid)? Have extremely fond memories of tanking that fight, competing with the other tanks for control on where the boss should be positioned
that fight is so easy now people dont even care anymore. its sad, used to be the easiest way in the world to piss people off

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only fun thing about tanking in CT is aggro wars

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Saving fight or flight during trash so I can use it on my shield lob at the beginning of the next boss

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Speaking of 14, I think I might finish the Lisa Lisa (Limsa Lominsa) intro line today.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

redreader posted:

I saw the comments about Danganronpa (sp?) earlier and I agree: I did actually play the game and stopped playing after the second or third execution in which someone got turned into "delicious butter" by going around and around very fast, and then was eaten on toast. I didn't like it, it was gross and the plot didn't seem like it was worth playing to see.

I'm not trying to do a gotcha or anything like that but is this significantly different from Wile E Coyote getting blown up and then sweeping up his own ashes or Itchy freezing then shattering Scratchy and using his eyeballs as ice cubes because it sounds about as goofy. Is it just the presentation that makes it gross instead of funny?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Danganronpa definitely goes to places you won't even vaguely guess if you stop early, and the sequels even more so. V3 is simultaneously one of the games I'd least and most recommend and is an incredible love/hate object.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I feel like I missed a lot of context today.

I've also thoroughly enjoyed the critique discussion. I've never really understood the art of criticism but I'm fascinated by it in ways even I don't understand.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
DRv3's ending is incredible in a way that loses all potency if it's spoiled so it's impossible to coherently recommend

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

redreader posted:

I saw the comments about Danganronpa (sp?) earlier and I agree: I did actually play the game and stopped playing after the second or third execution in which someone got turned into "delicious butter" by going around and around very fast, and then was eaten on toast. I didn't like it, it was gross and the plot didn't seem like it was worth playing to see.

That sounds disgusting.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sounds like the stuff I’d be into ten years ago when I was still an edgelord teen instead of a refined edgelord adult

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blitz Netcode for Virtua Fighter EXISTS!!!!

:vince:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

hatty posted:

Sounds like the stuff I’d be into ten years ago when I was still an edgelord teen instead of a refined edgelord adult

I mean, I still like VLR and what I've played of 999 and those have some gruesome deaths, but nothing on the level of cannibalism. I still might give Danganronpa a shot since I have it, and maybe with context it will be less bad?

It's also making me worried about World's End Club since I'd like to get that soon.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I mean it's goofy and all, but it seems that pretty much everyone just dies, and they're unable to escape death. I didn't like it. Here it is for your judgment. Absolutely no context is needed, apart from 'you meet and talk to these people and they have their problems but are humanized' and then they get murdered one by one. IDK, maybe it's Really Good but I didn't like it. I like horror movies but I don't see why anyone would watch Saw, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGZMjrpNNs

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Walla posted:

I mean, I still like VLR and what I've played of 999 and those have some gruesome deaths, but nothing on the level of cannibalism. I still might give Danganronpa a shot since I have it, and maybe with context it will be less bad?

I mean the implication of a stuffed bear eating a person isn't really cannibalism is it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

An Enders Game reveal that every game of Call of Duty has been real and that the players have been controlling murderbots that are doing wars for oil except instead of being inconsolably distraught it's every teenager in america high-fiving

Based on all the gun games I won lost by running around like an rear end in a top hat and stabbing people in the butt those other soldiers should git gud

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Walla posted:

It's also making me worried about World's End Club since I'd like to get that soon.

It's a robot teddy bear that eats it, it's not like a south park thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux posted:

post the most fatum betula screenies u got

Well this seems cool as hell

Unlike Dang Old Ron Paul, which doesn't

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 31, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

redreader posted:

I mean it's goofy and all, but it seems that pretty much everyone just dies, and they're unable to escape death. I didn't like it. Here it is for your judgment. Absolutely no context is needed, apart from 'you meet and talk to these people and they have their problems but are humanized' and then they get murdered one by one. IDK, maybe it's Really Good but I didn't like it. I like horror movies but I don't see why anyone would watch Saw, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnGZMjrpNNs

The implications are kind of gross, but the actual execution was tame as hell. Definitely less graphic than the Nonary games. I had a completely different series of images in mind.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also Redreader's description makes it sound like you see someone being eaten, but it's actually just a crayon drawing by the stuffed bear antagonist showing he'd like some pancakes to go with the butter (it's actually a reference to a scottish children's book in which tigers are similarly reduced to butter for pancakes, which is of course sort of fitting in the game's context), and whether he did eat the butter or not is left to the viewer's appreciation, keeping in mind it's well established the stuffed bear doesn't need to eat but does like to get a rise out of people when he's not killing them.

EDIT: yeah, visually it's pretty cartoony violence (including the recurring gimmick of bright purple blood as a form of censorship), although it's worth noting textually it's quite a bit more graphic than that.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 31, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

redreader posted:

I like horror movies but I don't see why anyone would watch Saw, for example.

perhaps you like to play a game. that would be one reason t o watch

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Never watched a Saw, are you allowed to answer “no” to jigSaw’s “would u like to play a game”

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

A fun prompt: which game would be the funniest if it were revealed to be a test to find the person capable of solving some real-life issue

Metal Gear Solid

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/jigsaw_quotes/status/1398737499103678470

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Never watched a Saw, are you allowed to answer “no” to jigSaw’s “would u like to play a game”

No, but apparently if you sleep through the instructions you get a pass

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh maybe he's not so bad :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wait is there a new 999/AI guy game out?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
World’s End Club just came out on Switch, but reviews have been below average

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

worth noting that Fatum Betula is only like, $5.50! more enjoyable than your average coffee imo

wuggles posted:

Speaking of 14, I think I might finish the Lisa Lisa (Limsa Lominsa) intro line today.

what class are you playing! I'm biting in darkmans leveling Rogue for the first time and I think it has the best early-game class quests, though I have only done like one-third of the classes so far

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more like fatum iustum stultorum

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Happy june friends

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Woah!

ymgve posted:

World’s End Club just came out on Switch, but reviews have been below average

Dang!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necromunda: Hired Gun is out now, it's basically a total conversion mod for Doom Eternal. It feels really good to play, but there is some jank and improvements that still need to be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Hello everyone, I enjoyed reading through the discussion on game reviews from overnight (my overnight). There were some very insightful and interesting points raised.

This has been metis's posting appreciation corner.