Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Ok, should I get Last Remnant, Star Ocean the Last Hope or maybe dot Hack from this PS store sale?

Each is roughly 10 space dollars

Which dot hack is it? It really matters.

Actually I guess it doesn't lol, none of them are really that great.

stev posted:

Here I am, watching Doctor Strange, wondering why Atlas didn't carry on the Trauma Center series on iPad. That'd be rad.

Or just put it on switch! It has a touch screen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

The remaster of dot Hack Gu, it has all of them apparently (I have never touched a game in the series)

Its a crazy series. I've only played the original 4, infection, mutation, outbreak, quarantine. They're really cool games with a cool story but repetitive gameplay.

The GU games are a whole followup series, rebirth, reminisce, redemption, reconnection. New characters and new story. I've heard some good and bad things about it but haven't played them myself.

The overall conceit of the games is basically that of Sword Art Online, there's a big matrix-like virtual world MMO that people log into but then some people get trapped inside of. They're single player RPGs that do some things to make the NPCs feel like they're other PC players in an MMO playing with you. Kinda cool concept.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

loving DID IT I FINISHED HOLLOW KNIGHT :woop:

Congrats!

Which ending? :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Weedle posted:

hello thread. i was going to go to a soccer game tonight but instead my son has thrown up approximately 100000 times. so instead we’re laying on the couch watching his favorite princess movies until he passes out. my team won the match though

That's a bummer dude. At least karma paid off for ya.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good job fighting the Ape Videogames!!! Watching you play Sekiro is a hoot!

VG do not read this: Oh my god chat you are so mean. I can't believe he beat snake eyes shirahagi and didn't grab the bonfire and we didn't tell him and then he went and beat ape so now the 2 ape fight is mandatory to beat the game hahahahaha

Fuuuuuck I wish I could watch more of the stream I HAVE to see the part where the 2 ape fight gets revealed but I gotta play D&D so I'll have to watch the replay

E: Okay you can read it now lol

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 2, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

Why would anyone want to skip double ape funtimes?

Its not like you *can't* do it later on, it just becomes an optional thing you can do whenever you want, instead of mandatory to progress any further.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

very much this, if I know anything about how VG likes to play Souls games he will be okay with this

But yeah, I'm sure he'd fight it anyways either way

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jolo posted:

Much like the back and forth of the combat in the game, I go from feeling like I'm a full on Shinobi and anything in my path will be cut to feeling like a total clown who exists to receive punishment.

My minor nitpick of Sekiro is that most of the bosses have names where I can't remember who I've fought. I'll hear someone mention Gyouba and go, wait, did I fight him or am I mixing him up with Ryouga or someone?

HIS NAME IS

GYOBU
MASATAKA
ONIWAA

:cheeky:

I mean, just need to spend more time paying attention to Japanese names.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jolo posted:

Haha apparently it's Gyoubu so combined we know his name!

Yeah, I just think its funny since he makes a big deal of shouting his name.

Streamers playing in Spanish is the best

Me llamo Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi everybody, how are you all doing tonight

I didn't do enough today so now I'm upset its Monday. But hey otherwise doing pretty good, can't complain.

How're you doin First?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Whizzing Wizard posted:

6.Snake (Rock & Roll Racing)

Bless you for remembering R&R Racing. :pray:

I want Blizzard to revisit those characters so bad. (Although current Activision would probably only ruin it in a monkey's paw twist of fate)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mutata posted:

"Entitlements" are the number of copies redeemed by customers, if you're wondering. That's a steal for Epic.

Yeah jeeze, it seemed crazy Epic was throwing money away to buy people free games but when they're getting them this cheap...

spending a couple dollars per new user is a deal they'll accept all day long

Also, am I mis-reading this? They spent for example a total of $1.4M on Subnautica, 4.6M people redeemed it? That means they basically spent like, a quarter per game per person??

That's an insanely good deal! I didn't think that Epic would be paying a full $60 (I guess Subnautica is only $30 new) but I did expect them to be paying more like $5-10 per copy "sold". I guess since its a big bulk buy and lots of them are people who wouldn't pay $30 for the game, also the game has been out for awhile already, so the devs of Subnautica are happy to get the extra 1.4M payday on top of their existing long-tail sales. But wow.

Interesting economics.

I'm no Epic fanboy but I do think Steam taking 30% of every digital sale is too much, developers should keep more considering the low costs of digital storefronts. I can only hope that more competition somehow pushes that to happen, but we'll see there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Does having an account on a store really make people more likely to pay money in the future? And if it does, wouldn't the lowest friction way to take advantage of that be to streamline the registration process? I'd bet those 7% of free game redeemers who went on to pay would likely have paid anyway. I can't really fathom there being any kind of real free-to-paid pipeline with zero incentive otherwise. Like maybe every time you redeem a free game, you get 100 Epic points and you can cash in 1000 Epic points for $10 off a full-priced game or something. But otherwise, it seems like some kind of hand-wavey application of old-school checkout-line marketing psychology to a digital storefront where none of the same assumptions apply.

Yes, very very yes. Lots of people don't like having multiple storefronts and already Origin and Ubisoft force their own launchers (so they can try to get you to buy direct and keep 100% for themselves) and so people don't want to install any more launchers than they *have* to.

Getting someone a free game gives them a reason to keep the installer installed. So they can play that free game. At that point, the software is already there, so there's no friction to buying games there versus steam depending on wherever you can get the best price (or exclusives). But if you have steam installed and don't have EGS installed, even if the EGS version of a game is $5 cheaper, you're probably going to buy it on Steam because its just convenient to have all your games in the same place.

It does kinda suck for users to have to keep so many different programs installed and updated and have their library be fractured between different storefronts. But that's what gives Steam power now that they're the primary location.

I know I have hundreds of steam games and only like a handful of games on Origin or EGS, and so for simplicity's sake and for having a complete "game collection" it feels right to prefer to buy games on steam.

So its not just having an account so much as having an account and having the storefront software installed and updated and opening it occasionally (to play games) and seeing deals or whatever on advertisement. And free games gets you to do that.

Epic also does that thing where there's sale periods where if you buy a game you get $10 voucher to buy another game on and on as long as you keep buying games, so they kinda do your other suggestion too in a way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyways Hershey chocolate is an acquired taste and is very nostalgic for most Americans

This is what I was about to say.

You may call it "bad" but that's basically acquired tastes in a nutshell. Americans largely are used to it, so we like it and other people don't.

That's true of a ton of things that I wouldn't call garbage.

I do like Lindt chocolate though.

redreader posted:

I didn't know that about him. It's rare for a rich person to be a decent person. I just wish the chocolate were better. The first time I had one I thought I'd got a bad bar from the vending machine.

If an American says the same thing about Nutella, does that mean Nutella is bad? :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

lol it's hilarious that Tim Sweeney, even as a billionaire with decades of video game development under his belt, is still unknown in his own industry.

Its only natural with how many people work on games; if anything the people who are household celebrity names in the game industry are few and far between.

One top name gets lots of credit (and in Epic's case it was CliffyB) and everybody else is basically invisible.

Like, how many directors of cinematography can you list by name from Hollywood? How many can the average movie-viewer? A few big name directors are known (Speilberg, etc.) but otherwise...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:drat:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jolo posted:

Mandalore Gaming did 3 videos all about Thief 1-3 that were pretty thorough. He jokes at the end of the third vid about how maybe someday they'll revisit the series, and then saying "what are you talking about, no they didn't, moving on."

So, having never played Thi4f, what was so terrible about it. I kinda remember the press previews seeming positive on it prior to release but then it released with a resounding thud.

Thief 4 was Hitman Absolution to the Thief series.

Like, its a game and some people even like it, but if you're a fan of the Thief series then it doesn't remotely satisfy for the things you play a Thief game for and expect from the name.

Its similar to the Doom 3 situation, where in that case Doom 3 is actually even a decent game and most people have come around to it being actually solid, but lots of people were very against it (me included) on release because if you're expecting more of Doom 1/2 it doesn't remotely satisfy that.

So ultimately its a problem of marketing and publishers trying to over-use an IP where it doesn't belong, thus leading to false expectations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Former Human posted:

Blizzard doesn't care about Diablo Immortal doing well with North American players. Diehards rejected it already and the game itself looks pretty generic/forgettable. The profitable markets are overseas, particularly China, which isn't surprising since they chose a Chinese developer. You can afford to disappoint a few million domestic fans to pick up twenty million new ones.

Plus they're cranking out Diablo 2 remastered to silence anybody upset that Diablo Immortal is Diablo Immortal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Diablo 2 Remaster will likely be really bad, so it will just amplify the disappointment in Diablo Immortal even more.

I expected as much after the Warcraft 3 remaster but that was largely outsourced. All the hardcore Diablo 2 players I've seen who have watched streams or tried it themselves are pretty positive on it.

They were smart and decided to basically change nothing about Diablo 2 other than graphics so its a pretty safe bet.

Guess you're not following it, streamers have had builds for months. It looks solid enough, for a Blizzard cash grab.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1389785375879671809?s=20

Jesus wept

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

What does that even leave at that point? Just graphics?

Gameplay, but honestly we all know its going to play like RE7 so the story is pretty important.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm sympathetic to people who are extremely spoiler-sensitive, but I do wonder if this sort of insistence that even relatively minor reveals are "spoilers" is making it impossible to write decent criticism, even if you're trying to be positive. You have to be so vague that you can't really say anything at all. It's not even just publisher review embargo restrictions, though that's certainly a big part of it (I'm sure stifling criticism is the whole point), but also the way people react if you "spoil" something in a review.

I guess it's easy for me to say because I'm not particularly sensitive to spoilers.

That said I think the spoilers issue and review copy embargoes are totally unrelated, the corps don't care about spoilers much since it won't really have a huge impact in sales.

I think for reviews / critiques pretty much everybody has settled on the format of "initial review - SPOILER WARNING GO NO FURTHER - full review" which allows people to just pick whatever they want and then they can only blame themselves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I am very lucky in that some goons have stuck with me through 6-7 hour streams some weekends.

It helps that I alternate wildly between doing silly cool things in from games while being so awful that I forget to heal or what buttons do which during boss fights.

I am immensely grateful to those who have stuck with me over the last few months :3:

Its nice watching someone stream where the chat isn't moving a billion miles a second. And I'm a sucker for watching people play souls blind.

I'll probably pop on from time to time even for other games at this point though, you've got me hooked :cheeky:

Pollyanna posted:

I have determined that streaming is a sucker’s game and the market is supersaturated. God help you if you especially don’t have the tech and gimmick for it.

Yeah as with music and movies and modeling and so on, lots of people want to do it but only a few people can get those successful famous positions and make tons of money, everybody else struggles

Relax Or DIE posted:

gonna get way into streaming doom wads from my giant to-do list

That is a very cool idea for sure, post your stream in the doom wad club

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 9, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Half of the Star Fox series has been remakes and reimaginings of Star Fox and Star Fox 64

Yeah and most have been strict downgrades :/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

I still think Star Fox Assault was unfairly dismissed. If it weren't for the ground missions it'd be a pretty good sequel.

Really I just want a Star Fox game with more than a couple of hours of content (no not that one).

Better than Star Fox Zero certainly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Direct sequels to Star Fox 64 that play exactly like that game, is all I really want. But Nintendo must have put in the marketing research and determined that not enough people would buy and play a game like that in console generations after N64. A remaster of Star Fox 64 would be really nice to have too, I still to this day play the game on my N64.

Its not necessarily that. Games are big projects, you can only have so many irons in the fire at once. Could be they know a starcraft 64 remake would be popular but Miyamoto or somebody wanted to play around with the tablet screen so that's what we got. Then after that does poorly its hard to justify the budget for the starfox 64 clone when there's marios to be made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

I've had the concept of NFTs explained to me half a dozen times and I still don't get why anyone would actually pay for one.

Like if they arbitrarily attach value to a famous work of digital art I can sort of see it, but the idea of paying for your own copy of a mass produced JPEG makes my head spin.

And gently caress Gorillaz for diving into it the same year that they're talking about a follow up to Plastic Beach.

Its a ponzi scheme OP, and everybody involved is just trying to get rich. That's it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

I loving doubt it!

hahahahaha oops

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Ponzi schemes are (I believe) when an investment has no source of income other than further investors, and uses the money of late joiners to pay off early joiners and make the investment look really really good

But that's exactly what it is?

More specifically, its a classic pump-and-dump scheme. Manipulating perceived value to sell speculation to rubes so you can make money off nothing.

Those who get in early make a ton of profit by selling at the peak, then it collapses and all the fools are left holding bags.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

At least with the stock market there is a legitimate underlying concept which raises capital for businesses and pays dividends to shareholders. Of course, that's too slow for most brokers, so there's all kinds of insane should be illegal shenanigan trades on top of that.

But NFTs there's not even really a core reason why it should exist. Its pure pump-and-dump Tulip Mania, driven by memes and the false conception that somehow they're "sticking it to the man" or "helping art" when neither of those is remotely true.

All studies have shown that as with most modern art and most big schemes, a few people get super rich off NFTs and the vast majority make basically peanuts.

What really blows my mind is that NFT of Chadwick Boseman's head which was just bought off like turbosquid for a few dollars and then painted gold and claimed to be "high art".

Am I crazy or are all the "modern art" people making tons of money actually somewhat unskilled? And then you have artists who can paint unbelievably realistic or detailed scenes and they aren't rich. Its all just fashion nonsense.
IDK I guess its a matter of personal taste but I think when you compare Jackson Pollock or Andy Warhol to like Michelangelo its no contest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Chat thread what are some good games with job systems? Loved them in FF5 and Tactics and dabbled in fire emblem.

Unironically Final Fantasy X-2.

Dressspheres are legitimately amazing.

FFXII with the Zodiac Job System in International is pretty cool but you can't swap jobs so not quite the same feeling.

Oh and of course, Tactics Ogre which FFTactics is really basically Tactics Ogre 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Looper posted:

everyone play tactics ogre knight of lodis on the game boy advance

Also tactics ogre let us cling together especially the psp version, it has fantastic presentation and cool anime art

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The IRS is also massively underfunded so getting any assistance with an issue is nearly impossible.

But the rich who control our government dare not let them raise the budget lest they might catch more wealthy people dodging their taxes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Does anyone else set their location as something other than where they live for video game stuff? I always at least try to see if I can set my location to Palestine and it's very rare to be able to, off the top of my head the only service/game that lets you is Steam.

Did you manually set your data center otherwise? It'd be pretty funny if you were downloading all your Steam updates from Palestine lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Massachusetts seems cool, which is good because I am moving to Boston in September

You'll have to learn how to park your car on Harvard Yard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/baldurs-gate-dark-alliance-is-getting-a-pc-port-20-years-later

1. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is getting.... a PC port?! :psyduck:

2. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is... 20 years old?! :corsair:

Songbearer posted:

I don't know where to post this:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/9480/discussions/0/3149682775496734153/

Idolninja: Coding wizard, gentleman, Goon and all-around amazing guy who was responsible of un-fuckenating the PC port of Saints Row 2 while adding innumerable features from likeminded modders through his megapatch, Gentlemen Of The Row (as a result getting hired by Volition themselves) is facing terminal cancer and now doesn't have much longer to live.

This guy was so goddamn cool and made one of my favourite games ever better beyond my wildest expectations. Huge props to him. What an awful thing to hear :smith:

I saw this in another thread and its just incredibly depressing. This world sucks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

good evening thread i'd like to let everyone know that i'm having a Nice Time playing Vermintide 2, even by myself queueing with pubbies. they all seem to know where to go when i very clearly do not!

I bought Vermintide 2 on launch and didn't play it until just this year. The new updates are pretty great. Its definitely worth playing on a higher difficulty as you get matched with randos that know what they're doing.

Not the best game of all time or anything but a very solid Left4DeadLike

Khanstant posted:

Resident Evil Village is a good game to watch streamed, there's relatively little gameplay and the gameplay just seems like a means to an end. the anime shark girl is basically going to do everything you would anyway

Yeah definitely, I was curious about the story and setting but money is tight and I don't really love horror games all that much, so rather than buy it I've been watching Markiplier play it and having a good time.

I don't usually watch Lets Plays for games I haven't beaten because spoilers, but it works out pretty great here.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fed up of waiting for ps5 availability so caved and bought a 144hz monitor instead

Great call

Convex posted:

Won't that make all the 60hz locked games look like complete poo poo though

There's not that many these days honestly.

I play almost all games at 100fps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

it'd be more like the 3:2 pulldown you get when you watch a 24hz film on cable or whatever, you'd have some doubled frames to make up the difference, but it probably wouldnt really be noticeable

PCs won't do a pulldown unless you have vsync on and miss target rate

But the native refresh isn't the issue there

Also why gsync/freesync are the answer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

it wont tween but if if you're at 144hz and have a window updating at 60hz yeah you're gonna get doubled frames

Yeah but a 144hz monitor should always be able to also run 60hz and Windows and full screen apps should always negotiate that.

So its only a concern if you're running your windows desktop at native 144hz and run a game in a window at 60fps.

(This is why I leave windows at 120hz)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Am I crazy or is RE8 basically FPS bloodborne?

I definitely like the setting more than RE7.

That opening cutscene faerie tale has me very intrigued.