Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I don’t know how much a review of RE Village would say my decision to play it. I really liked 7 and I’m hungry for another AAA horror game. They would have to really drop the ball for me to be turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’m doing my play through of RE8 the same I did 7, which is having my friend come over on Fridays evenings. Which is cool, I like making it a shared experience. But the big downside is only getting to play the new hotness for a few hours a week.

Maybe I’ll reinstall 7 and play through that again to scratch the itch. The few hours of 8 I got in were very good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Huh, funny to see Spider-Man posted. I just beat it earlier today; it has been sitting on my console for two years with a save game at 85% completion. I finally turned it back on and was able to get to the credits within an hour. I think I got burnt out trying to do Taskmaster challenges and collecting stuff. It was fun even if a lot of the urgency and momentum was sucked out of the experience just because I barely remembered the plot points going into it, and I had to relearn the controls at a period where the game expects you to have mastery over the system.

Oh well, that's 63 gigs freed up. Now to finish Mad Max or some other low-hanging fruit to free up more space. I feel like Desperados 3 takes up a ton of space but I loved the game so much I just want to believe I'll go back and do the copious side content one day.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Last night I beat Transistor. It was the first game I bought for the console, and the last trophy I had earned was in 2014. I guess I was a little more than half-way through but it was short enough that I could just push forward and was able to scratch it off in a few hours.

I know that having a kind of running commentary in their games is a Supergiant hallmark but I really just wanted my sword to shut up. It added so little for so many words. Still, I’m glad to have finished it.

I pretty much immediately fired up Mad Max since that always seems like something I’m close to beating, but that’s so control-complex that I was floundering through car and melee combat for a while. I feel like I’m close-ish to the end; my story quest involves getting the Big Chief V8 engine and it looks like I have all the areas unlocked. Just gotta go to the markers and check the boxes for a few hours. Fortunately it’s a good podcast game so I can catch up on what I’ve been too busy to listen to.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Whizzing Wizard posted:

My problem with transistor is that if I stop playing the game and try to come back to it, the battle system just spews information at me and expects me to understand it.

I understand this. It's pretty system dense shrouded in faux "programmer" language. I got bodied the first few fights when I returned but I also had some limiters turned on that was making things needlessly difficult. After a few fights it all clicked again.

exquisite tea posted:

Stories in narrative video games are generally okay. Meandering, highly derivative and often nonsensical, but so is a lot of literary fiction and nobody seems to mind. Even total trash these days generally has at least some grasp on characters, plot structure, and maybe even a vision of a theme they're trying to get across. The biggest issue with video game storytelling is how much time and dialogue are completely WASTED on totally flat exposition. Like 50% of all game scripts are just people telling you what to do and other stuff that happened. It's embarrassing!

Yeah, in Transistor I felt like for all the talking so much of it was repetitious and at the end of the game I still didn't understand some major parts of what was going on. Maybe it was explained when I played it seven years ago, maybe it was revealed in one of the few logs I didn't unlock by the end, but it didn't really satisfy me. It's never good when the enemy organization has a motto ("When everything changes, nothing changes") that makes me think "that's stupid, what does that even mean?" but also the developers stripped the main character of her voice so she never gets to challenge it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m never going to beat Outer Wilds. I get the praise for it but going around hoping to find a scrap of information before I run out of time doesn’t spark joy for me. I think that if I had been really dedicated when I first started it maybe I could have powered through. Now when I play it I pretty much follow a guide and that’s not really fun when I could just watch a video of the end.

I got pretty far, discovered some neat stuff, but I’m happy to let it go despite all the praise the end gets.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Acerbatus posted:

how bad is world of horror for jump scares?

Not terrible. There are a few jump scare moments and there’s a persistent sense of dread, but I’d say that the game is pretty good about not relying on having something pop up on the screen out of no where to spook you.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Acerbatus posted:

Unlocking the secret boss in katana zero is a huge pain in the rear end, because you need to replay the entire game but also sit through all the dialogue again

And if you get a strep wrong you bet you're doing it all over again.

Like I can beat the game inside of a half hour, making it an hour and a half long with cutscenes just sucks now.

I didn’t even know there was a secret boss. They must have had an update recently that I overlooked

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Acerbatus posted:

No it's been there forever.

Interrupt the therapist every time you can, talk to Electrohead, tell him you talked to Electrohead, kill all the police officers in the prison. Do that all and you'll fight him after Headhunter.

KZ spoiller:

All I have left to do is finish the game in hard mode and...Hard mode sucks. There's probably a way to do it reliably but I sure as hell can't figure it out.

Cool, thanks for sharing. I was able to follow a guide and jump to the relevant sections to trigger the flags without too much trouble, but that last boss was a doozy. The hardest part was dealing with the adds in the last part, my hard started cramping pretty bad.

Of course I did all this on the Switch so I don’t even get the dopamine hit of unlocking a trophy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Finished up Mad Max finally. It was a game I kept on the PS4 and would chip away with as a low-engagement checkbox game. Drive around, blow some stuff up, collect some scrap, listen to a podcast. I’ve been motivated to wrap up some games that have been languishing on the hard drive for a while since when I need to make space I scan over things like Mad Max and Spider Man and Metal Gear Survive and say “oh, I’m so close I shouldn’t delete this” but then I never actually go back to beat the game.

I was only a handful of story missions away from the end, but even with a focus I kept getting sidetracked by the little things dotting the wasteland. Anyway, it’s in my rear view mirror now

It’s a real beauty of a game though, and while the design is simple it was a great thing to play and kind of zone out with. I thought about trying for some of the trophies but I don’t really care enough to seek out all the special cars.

One thing that I never could really get is where the disparity between Max‘s knowledge and the rest of the world’s knowledge comes from. Max can look at an old photograph and opine something like “a fiberglass helmet wouldn’t stop a bullet” while the goblin who worships Max’s car says “watch out for the boom-booms buried in the great dust here, Saint!”

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Add Iconoclasts to the pile. I remember really liking this game but I got tied up in trying to get all the secrets before the end. Coming back to it, the end sequence and credit roll just served to remind me about how much I had forgotten about the game. I don’t know if I was on a good end or bad end path, and since you can’t see the whole map at one time I really had no clue where anything would be. Luckily my save was close enough to the final zone and I made the right call to go left instead of right to get me there.

During the final battle I realize I had set all three of my augment slots for extra breath because I was trying to find some underwater area when I was last playing the game a few years ago. Those augments did nothing to help me in the final set of encounters. Oh well, I adapted back to the controls quickly enough and didn’t have too many problems. Hell, after starting my night with the secret Katana Zero boss all these other fights have been a cake walk.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I tried returning to Indivisible. It was... unfun. The opposite of fun. A chore, maybe, just to play the short area I was in. The only thing I kind of liked was the traversal tools, and my save was right before you get the sliding jump so I had plenty in my arsenal to re-discover. Combat, however, was brutish and long. Enemies dealt tons of damage even when I was blocking, healing was hit-or-miss as sometimes the effect of holding R1 wouldn't proc so I could hit L1 to heal (also if you hold R1 while the enemy is attacking you, you do a full-party block which drains your meter, and you can only heal with a full meter. So I would build up a full meter, press R1 not realizing that it was technically an enemy's attack phase, lose the ability to heal, and have to wait for someone to be able to attack to refill that meter), and my party was dealing junk damage in return. Every encounter was a prolonged back-and-forth and when I got to the end of one path and my new objective was "return to port", which meant going through all the encounters I had just dealt with again, I almost cried.

I didn't like how much of the game was obviously Kickstarter related. All the background, town NPCs have that feeling of being someone's very special OC. Their dialogue was either a) a non-sequitur, b) talking about how cool and powerful they were, or c) how they were entwined with the main character somehow. I actually missed throwaway lines that would do some world building or tell me about the place I was in, instead I get a catgirl who what "chocie-chip cookies" and a person who is a collection of souls who's been watching me from afar, totally unrelated to the plot. This trickles into the characters who make up the party/arsenal the main character gathers. They seem to have a few lines when you collect them and some of them pop up to make a quip here and there, but if you go into the mind palace they seem to say the same stuff they did when I absorbed them into my brain. I don't know the particulars of the Kickstarter incentives and what characters were stretch goals, but everyone seems so throwaway where they're biggest difference is how they act in the unpleasant battle system.

I think I will instead go back to Dragon Quest XI and finally finish it, final side-quests be damned, then try to dig back into Divinity: Original Sin 2. I only got to the second Act in D:OS2 but some friends started playing it multiplayer and it was recently mentioned in the Little Things In Games thread, and now I've got a pulling sensation drawing me back to it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I know nohing about the video game iconoclasts, not even its genre, but every time someone posts about it I do a little nod and think "that's a sick rear end name for a video game"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAb_bO38-60

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yeah rip UK

I thought the Iceland entry was a legitimately good song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORDK1XQToAY

The same band had a real banger as a submission last year too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HU7ocv3S2o

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

So I returned to my endgame save of Dragon Quest XI and tried to beeline to the boss, just to get an idea of where I was and what I was up against. First thought, I’m glad there’s no final dungeon before the boss, you just go to a spot on the map and face off against the big bad. There were final dungeon-like areas before getting access to the final boss so I’m glad that the game keeps the separate. It really aids the idea of an endgame phase where you can do whatever you have left to do before finishing the game.

Second, the boss absolutely rolled me. My party was around level 58 and the boss killed two of my crew in his opening salvo. This was pretty much a sign that I should stick my nose in a guide and wrap up the side quests I ignored. I also found and really appreciate that there’s kind of a baked-in method to power-level at the end by using a combination of pep powers to span metal slimes and multiply their rewards. I gained 12 levels in an hour and half last night and I’ll do it again today, then see what the final fight looks like with that grinding under my belt.

In kind of glad the final boss isn’t a push over but it’s also weird to me that I would be able to get here without problems. Usually the final dungeon is geared to give you the levels and equipment you’d need to at least squeak by, maybe I ran around too many encounters in the trials.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

I've made it to the 4th land in Etrian Odyssey 4, yay

e: EO4 vague spoilers for the start of land 4 hey evil kingdom, maybe you wouldn't have to commit genocide to make your plants grow if you'd stop building every building out of fully stocked bookshelves

Just wanted to say that your posts about EO got me to fish out my 3DS and cables so I can give it another shot. The map making mechanics and dungeon crawling gameplay of EO games have always captured my attention and I think I own all the mainline games, but I've never gotten very far in them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, beat Dragon Quest XI finally. Glad to put it to bed, I don’t think I want to go back and try to grind out any more trophies. The last boss was nigh impossible until I did some research and learned the One Trick that let me stay alive for a turn.

My one big take away from the game was that it has an absolutely dog-poo poo soundtrack and hearing the same music in the ending moments as I had over the previous 130 hours was like a personal insult from the composer.

I’ve been on a tear lately knocking out games I left right at the end, and now I’m running out of real low-hanging fruit. Here’s my short list of games I think I’m near the end of, from the shortest distance to the end to the farthest(relative to overall game length):

Cosmic Star Heroine
Wattam
Nioh 2
Yakuza Kiwami
Ace Combat 7
Sexy Brutale
Blasphemous
Tales of Berseria

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Disco

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

What is the size scale in Biomutant? It looks like character creation makes the character look tiny next to grass and small stones, but then you start exploring abandoned brick buildings? You use a toothbrush as a club but also there are lightbulbs that are “normal” sized and not massive?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Roach Warehouse posted:

Would I like final fantasy if my previous positive mmo experience is playing with goons in launch era the secret world, pre-HOT guild wars two, and that weird f2p Skygods or whatever it was?

I mostly like doing chill world events and accruing outfits rather than like, precision esports raiding or whatever.

idk probably but you could try the free trial up through the first expansion and get a feel for things. There's a bunch of goon guilds you can join and everyone has been very friendly. I don't play it much but it's pretty chill for like 90% of the game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

tithin posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a coop game to play with my wife?

she's not an fps fan, or a strategy game fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58bQsbDYnt0

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’ve been replaying the first part of Divinity: Original Sin 2 since I grabbed it on Steam and it’s absolutely gotten it’s hooks in me. I think I have a much stronger grasp on how the armor systems can be exploited and how important crowd control abilities are. I’ve had one character die one time and I recall frequently having character bite the dust when I played on PS4.

I haven’t gotten through Act 1 in this run but I know that I can respec all the characters once I do, and it’s such a relief to be able to put my level up points wherever I think would be helpful in the early stages and know that I can completely scrub my character down and rebuild them with no cost later. I can’t help but look at build guides but I’ve mostly just used them for broad-stroke guidance, and having the safety net of being able to fix any misspent points later removes a ton of anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

There’s an in-game “cheat” option that puts a respec machine in Fort joy’s arena if you want

Yeah, I looked over those gift bag options but I kind of want a “pure” run so I can get the achievements. There are a lot of good QoL features tucked away in there; Pet Pal for all characters without using a Talent point, faster moving speed outside of combat, resurrection and Source refill when using a bedroll, etc.