Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

Forget the snaps, I just want to throw stink bombs at all of the ugly pokemon

I thought you said you didn't do Fart Jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Kerrzhe posted:

got that poster on the wall in my house :3:

Star Citizen is looking sick

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Electric Phantasm posted:

Had no idea Almudron in Rise was crossover content

Butterfinger is crossover content

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/04/28/final-fantasy-xiv-and-butterfinger-team-up-with-new-dlc-promotion-and-upcoming-charity

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe I was doing something wrong but synethik:

Felt very bulky and tedious. Needing to eject then reload might add challenge to a faster paced/harder game but since it's so easy it just feels like busywork.

It's very easy. The closest I came to dying was when I didn't realize alt tabbing didn't pause.

Looks ugly as hell

The aim penalty while moving makes every gun feel like poo poo.

I might give it another try but for a game people apparently like it was really unimpressive.

Did you adjust any difficulty modifiers? Also what class were you playing as? You were playing Citadel, right? What bosses did you fight on your run?

I like Synthetik a lot, but not because I think it's impressive. I like it because it serves as an homage to all my favorite shooting games released in the past 20 years, because the aesthetik really speaks to me, and because it scratches an itch for gambling I didn't know I had until I got into the game. Legend has it that the game started out as a simulator for bolt-action rifles and was developed in Game Maker. Synthetik is one of my favorite games ever and probably the only game I have put 150+ hours into since like Team Fortress 2 10 years ago.

I find Synthetik charming because of things like: the 'Annihiliator ANH-5' rifle fires 'ANH-Apocalyptic Rounds'. The game operates on a tier of absurdity I haven't seen in a video game before. Definitely not trying to convince you your opinion is bad but I'm interested in hearing more about it!

mkvltra fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 4, 2021

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Acerbatus posted:

I didn't (there was never a difficulty menu of any kind), Breacher, I guess?, a box on legs, a tank that didnt shoot me that had a boss HP bar, a bunch of flubber, two smaller tanks and a big final boss thing.

It was very strange to me how the game wanted you to stand still but enemies were still accurate enough you wanted to keep moving, which resulted in me missing 50% of my shots. Since I was always dodging and seemed to have regenerating HP nothing came close to killing me, and the tutorial was hot garbage so I didn't really understand why say lightning randomly killed enemies.

"Lighting randomly killing enemies" is describing an item your character can pick up called "Unstable Current". It acts like a passive ability that randomly kills an enemy on screen. The tutorial is absolutely hot garbage!

The tank that doesn't shoot you is a Puzzle Boss. You're not really supposed to be bring its HP bar down to zero, unless you have some insane build- the gimmick of that fight is that you're just supposed to do as much damage to it as you possibly can before the tank can escape off the right side of the screen. The more damage you do to it, the more money it drops, the more items it drops, etc.

See the attached image for the difficulty breakdown I usually use. You can tune your experience based on how much you're willing to risk for increased rewards. 140% difficulty is required to unlock stuff after the final boss fight. 245% is, well, not for someone like me :)

The game is certainly weird. It is by no means a perfect product. This video is a humorous, comprehensive overview of the game's systems and mechanics, but you have probably already seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tsEJgPn30&t=818s

Shoot me a PM if you ever feel like trying co-op!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Beans own

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Sometimes the theories that players come up with about missing plot elements in games are more interesting than an actual, intentional narrative

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Elaborate- I've never played anything from that series, I'm only vaguely familiar with some of the lore elements but now I wanna know more about Cool Spooky Game

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/zaxptv/status/1391989603180105728

tfw you try to apply videogame crafting mechanics to real life

This made me wretch, what the gently caress

Now I need to see the spaghetti prego video

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

You really don't have to do that to yourself

Show me the spaghetti video!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Oh okay she's actually trying to make Entertainment Content, these aren't like earnest cooking strats. Still absolutely depraved

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

I just about never watch poo poo like that, any sort of embarrassing crap sends my cringe gland* into loving overdrive

* somewhere behind the liver

Yes, I look at twitter posts like once a month, and it is usually not intentional.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Any opinions regarding Ikea's Markus vs the Staples' Hyken office chairs?

I don't want to spend the money right now—I would prefer to save up for something better—but my back and knees have been killing me lately.

Herman Miller

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

What is a digital PS5

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the best spring summer beer is the humble saison

The regal saison.

NEIPA is pretty cool, and there are actually products that don't taste like like potpourri swill. I like the Cat's Meow by Exhibit A, it is advertised as 'Catnip for Humans'. It has been my favorite alcoholic beverage for a the last year+

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

redreader posted:

I finished control but I found it too hard to enjoy. You can't adjust difficulty either (last I checked) or I deserve to get mocked for not changing it to easy. I'm not great at video games but I'm not terrible. I was on a pc with a gamepad and just died all the loving time.

I've got a friend who said demon's souls is too hard to play without assistance, and he said that he gave up on returnal and had to youtube the ending. Something about 'collect 3 things' or 'beat 3 bosses in a row' or something.

- Redreader, the 'It's too hard!' guy.

The difficulty settings are modular in Control, it's called Assist Mode. Look for it in game options

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I have a really bad habit of getting to 90% completion in a game and then putting it down for 6 months - indefinitely. I finally finished Half-Life: Alyx last night (I only had 1.5 hours left of gameplay and started playing the game like 8 months ago) and this morning I feel like I liberated a few GB of mental RAM. Does anyone else have this problem

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Khanstant posted:

Oh yes, the better a game is the less likely I am to finish it. Right now I'm sitting at 80-90% done with Control, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Pathfinder Kingmaker, and a couple others I can't recall.

Honestly I do it with book series sometimes too. Never read the last book or not finished all of the last book for Dark Tower, Left Behind, or Harry Potter.

I never read the last Harry Potter either lol, I think mostly because I had already outgrown the series by the time it was published.

Are we brokebrained? Is this some kind of advanced procrastination? I put like 50 hours into Yakuza: Like a Dragon (insanely sick game), attempted the last boss twice only to Game Over both attempts because of bullshit instakill RNG attacks. That's when I decided to just uninstall the game and watch a recorded stream of someone beating the game so I could at least experience the ending of the story through a Proxy Gamer. If I were ten years younger and if I didn't live with my girlfriend (she's a Gamer too, currently on Demon Island in Okami- I love her) I'd probably just get really stoned and roll the dice in Y:LAD until I actually finished the game for myself.

My values and priorities have evolved a lot since I was less of an adolescent. Maybe not finishing certain games is a positive form of brokebrain?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

Sf64 was a good length though

True. What are some Cool Games that don't wear out their welcome by the second act / 80-90% mark?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Looper posted:

also while i was idling on the camp screen my dog started watching and growling at the pikachu walking around so this game's a 10/10

Your dog is a Gamer

When my family lived in Bahrain, my parents got my sister and me a copy of Pokemon Snap N64 for Christmas. I don't think they fully grasped the concept of the game before my sister and I first played it on Christmas day, but they were enthralled, and we binged pretty much all the content in a single session. That game still holds a really special place in my heart.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Khanstant posted:

i don't really want viewership or money so much as just force people to have seen what i've drawn, like exhibitionism but for dumbass goblin drawings

Please show me your goblin drawings!

Zaphod42 posted:

This is why streaming is so awful, its a race to the bottom.

CodeMiko said she made like literally 10x as much money the day she added the ability for people to pay to "kill" her virtual avatar.

poo poo's messed up.

Wow. I knew the culture was depraved but that's way beyond what I imagined.

The only streamer I like is Jerma985. I will watch whatever he broadcasts. His spin on opening lootboxes live on Twitch is cracking open literal geodes.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nioh is great and the random loot can be totally ignored. If anything it kind of makes it easier because armor has a pre-determined weight, so you can assemble a clownsuit once and then just replace the individual pieces with stronger versions as you get them just looking at the defense stat and ignoring all of the other random bonuses. You will eventually unlock a transmogrify thing to make the armor look like any other armor piece so you can play fashion souls, too. Just make sure you aren't going above the lightest weight bracket, not getting hit because you have a million iframes is way better than +10 defense or some poo poo.

For weapons you can literally just ignore every stat except attack and maybe whether or not the weapon is blessed because thats just more damage. Plus, all the best weapons are blessed anyways.

What mix were you playing at the start of your stream yesterday?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Khanstant posted:

Huge Goblin Picture

Wow. This owns

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Simone Magus posted:

Having been to Australia, this absolutely tracks

Australia in its current state of industrialization / pre-apocalyptica already has the Biggest Trucks. They're called Roadtrains.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Barudak posted:

Look, I read the Doom novels where mormonism was right, I think it'll be fine.

Whoa

Can you elaborate on this

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Barudak posted:

So like the books are absolutely insane involving simulations becoming reality and evil communist humans but let me put it this way, at the end of the final novel the main characters realize they have always been immune to the demons because they possess faith in a higher power and then land in Salt Lake City and repopulate the earth and use the intact tabernacle as their home.

The religious fanatics also won so hard and completely in the novelization of Alpha Centauri that the other faction heads are all that are left of non-religious humans and escape as data in a rocket ship to endlessly chat with each other about their failed ideologies

Again, whoa

I genuinely appreciate the 'message' of Doom as a cautionary tale against military-industrial complexes but holy macaroni it sounds like the authors of the novels just took the core theme of Doom, excised the artistic merit and replaced it with content from a lovely YA Christian novel.

I don't think I've ever hate-read a book before but your synopsis really makes me want to start!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Barudak posted:

I don't think their worth your time, to be honest and they're not much of a hate read. The first doom novelization with Flynn Taggart (shout out to doom eternal using it as a code) and its fine nothing exemplary or mega interesting. Its not really till the last one it brings up the faith stuff but like they just aren't very good. The Resident Evil Novelizations at least gave us zombie t-rex and super scorpions before the games did and a top five most flagrant chekov's gun in fiction.

As for Alpha Centauri books it is the slow grinding win for the religious fanatics that never feels remotely realistic or sensible and its one of the bitterest tasting reads when I finished because again the ending is "all ideologies except faith are weak and pointless"

If you want some powerful mormonism in fantasy don't forget to checkout Dragonlance! I don't know why intellectual IP novels are mormons all the way down they just are.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? I feel like an open-ended game like that is a weird choice to novelize, but hey, if it sells, it sells.

This insight owns, thank you. Now I want to read the RE novelizations, or at least listen to them.

Have you read the Metro series? I haven't read Metro 2035 because it wasn't translated to English when I was binging through 2033 and 2034, but the author uses a lot of pages to explicitly illustrate how the Jehovah's Witnesses are the only religion to survive global nuclear holocaust.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I know, right? Pop-Tarts, cockroaches, and the Watchtower.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't remember this at all.

https://metrovideogame.fandom.com/wiki/The_Watchtower

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Artyom recalled Sukhoi’s conversation with Hunter about how the level of radiation on the surface would not drop for at least fifty years, and that mankind was doomed, and other biological species were on the rise . . . The elder did not explain exactly how the surface of the earth would turn into a flowering paradise. Artyom wanted to ask him what weird kind of plants were going to bloom in that burned-out paradise, and what kind of people would dare to go up above and settle it, and if his parents had been children of Satan, and if that were why they had perished in the war to annihilate evil. But he didn’t say anything. He was filled with such bitterness and such mistrust, that his eyes burned, and he was ashamed to feel a tear run down his cheek. Mustering his strength, he said just one thing: "Tell me, what does Jehovah, our true God, say about headless mutants?" The question hung in the air. Elder John did not deign even to glance at Artyom, but those standing next to him looked around with fright and repulsion, and they moved away from him, as if he had let out a foul smell. Brother Timothy tried to take him by the hand, but Artyom tore away and, pushing aside the brethren who were crowded around, began to make his way to the exit.

Clearly the author isn't saying that the JW's are the chosen ones or anything like that. The metro series is an allegory for modern Russian politics. That's why the Hansa and the Communists are in a constant cold war which the central station maintains for its own purpose. It's also why the fourth Reich exists in the book, to show the rise of the neo Nazi movement in Russian politics.

I agree with you. The author is definitely not saying the JW's are the chosen ones. I'm aware of the allegory for the contemporary cultural atmosphere, I generally approach most science fiction as stories about Today written in the context of Tomorrow. Last time I checked, the JW's are still gaining members faster than any religion in Russia.

I think the author was trying to illustrate the JW's as debris from a pre-nuke world. They're basically portrayed as cockroaches.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Weedle posted:

this june, remember the three E's of video games: elves, eggs, and emotions

What's the egg game

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

This is indeed very glib. Do you have any idea how long it is?

Its like if someone decided to paint a mural that would wrap the earth and died after only covering 1/3rd of it

Its still an achievement far beyond what most would ever even attempt

That's real art

You'd appreciate a game like Star Citizen

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

>_>

You can read berserk and its really great for hours and hours.

Sc sucks and is a scam, not a game.

The mural you described is Star Citizen.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Relax Or DIE posted:

no game is finished so no game is art. art is found in completion, like the bottom of a cold can of ravioli you wolf down before going back to sleep for the day.

This post is art

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Simone Magus posted:

Wait here's a question

Is information art? Is news art? Is all communication art or must it meet some arbitrary criteria??

Beauty created with conscious intent is art to me

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I used to play diablo 2 with a guy name phil from toronto and I very specifically remember playing during the SARS outbreak in 2002 or so and telling him not to get SARS weird how there's another SARS anyway that's my story

Dude my parents had SARS, it was insanely chill

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

PantsBandit posted:

I don't agree with this. This implies the artist has an impossible or nearly impossible vision and that's why it didn't get completed. A great piece of literature (and I think you can include graphic novels) is better when it can be viewed as a whole with an arc, a beginning and an end. Visual art doesn't have the same structure.

Idk I just don't like manga that just stretch on forever and ever. It feels plodding and aimless to me and I am not convinced we would have ever seen an ending even with another 30 years of Berserk.

Bingo. Being able to walk away from something and call it Complete requires courage. Leaving something incomplete is an effective yet highly-neurotic way to avoid criticism.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

Like imagine saying Jojo's is bad because it isn't "done" lmao

Guts is pretty much the only protagonist of Berserk though, right? The entire canon of Berserk revolves around him. Each arc of JoJo has a very clear beginning and end, with different JoJo's each time. The individual arcs of JoJo can stand on their own.

I'm definitely not saying either franchise is bad.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

were there any berserk video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1oZGW6ZDog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I just took off my shoes in my office at work and my foot odor smells like weed