Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ASAPI posted:

WFH is absolutely a factor in the housing market.

I don’t disagree. It is a factor. I just don’t think it is the primary reason why median house prices nationwide are jumping so much.

Probably a bigger factor: it’s not just demand for what we typically call a single family home. There were simply less single family homes for sale over the past year. So supply has been low, as opposed to the 2007-8 run-up where prices were rising, and also there was an abundance of supply. So less supply compounded with these millenials being of home buying age and means and becoming the dominant number of home purchasers.

Millenials: finally not killing the housing market! I’m sure we’re still to blame for the rest of the ills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t disagree. It is a factor. I just don’t think it is the primary reason why median house prices nationwide are jumping so much.

Probably a bigger factor: it’s not just demand for what we typically call a single family home. There were simply less single family homes for sale over the past year. So supply has been low, as opposed to the 2007-8 run-up where prices were rising, and also there was an abundance of supply. So less supply compounded with these millenials being of home buying age and means and becoming the dominant number of home purchasers.

Millenials: finally not killing the housing market! I’m sure we’re still to blame for the rest of the ills.

It also depends on location. Some tourist towns really are getting overrun by people shifting to permanent remote work that no longer need to live in high cost of living cities.

https://www.latimes.com/homeless-housing/story/2021-04-30/covid-wfh-boosts-palm-springs-lake-tahoe-housing-markets

quote:

The Lake Tahoe property boom is a vivid example of a trend that emerged last spring when white-collar workers got the mandate to start working remotely. Those with the money and newfound freedom to work from anywhere have headed to the mountain, beach and desert wonderlands where they used to only be able to spend their weekends.

Housing markets are hot nationwide, but few areas have seen the surge in home prices and residents as outdoor vacation destinations.
It’s not just California. Areas with easy access to the outdoors have seen overwhelming demand — and rising housing costs — over the last year. Median rents in Boise, Idaho, are up 23%, the nation’s highest jump. In Bend, Ore., where locals boast that you can see no fewer than three mountain peaks from town, the average home now lasts on the market for only three days. East Coast destinations such as Cape Cod, Mass. and Palm Beach, Fla., have seen a surge in buyers from Boston and New York City.
Truckee’s home-buying spree also has been fueled by historically low mortgage interest rates during the pandemic, which has allowed people to add another home without needing to sell their first. The ability to work from anywhere has blurred the traditional line between main and vacation houses, Simonsen said, with analysts dubbing the trend, “co-primary homes.”
Data bear that out. Truckee saw the largest percentage increase in families relocating from San Francisco during the height of the pandemic of anywhere in the country, according to a San Francisco Chronicle analysis of U.S. Postal Service change-of-address data.

And for a laugh:

quote:

Hostility to the influx in residents over the last year has sometimes boiled over. Klovstad said she received multiple emails from constituents demanding the city close the exits to Truckee on I-80 to keep people from being able to access the community.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 5, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My house I bought 2 yrs ago has jumped like 20% in value during all this but even if we were going to sell it there's literally nothing within 20 miles of us that isn't also selling at a massive increase.

e: \/\/\/\/ it's mostly NY / NYC or Boston people buying up RI places as 2nd homes or new WFH digs from what I've heard around here so far.

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 5, 2021

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Anecdotally, NYC rent has become somewhat affordable compared to 2 years ago.

The contrarian take would be to sell a suburban home at the top of this market and move into the city on the off chance that employers dont like the long term effects of WFH and want people back in the office.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1389928748120780800?s=20

bengy81
May 8, 2010
We thought briefly about moving to Boise to be closer to some friends, then we looked at real estate. I like Boise, but not enough to pay Denver real estate market prices. My little brother is trying to get his life together to buy a house and it's disheartening. Like I don't know how someone is supposed to buy or even rent a place with prices were they are. I couldn't afford to rent the house I live in. My mortgage is 1300 and I think I could rent it out for close to 2500. I guess that explains why half the houses in the neighborhood are rentals.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

He’s definitely going to blog about this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh thank gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's something fun to read: https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2021/05/04/how-local-companies-are-filling-open-roles.html

Ice cream shop in Pittsburgh can't staff people. Offers $15/hr, and suddenly they're fully staffed with dedicated employees and a mile long standby list if they ever need more help.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa that’s surprising. I thought for sure they’d let him back.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't often say "well, this cannot possibly get any worse", but Jesus Christ.
Five days ago, the Bundeswehr sent a crisis team and several shipments of respirators and oxygen-generators/bottling stations over there, but with the scale of the situation, that was barely a drop in the ocean.

And now they have a loving water shortage.

It sounds like a lot of critical infrastructure (including O2 transportation, which is part of why the O2 situation is hosed up) is hurting because enough people have COVID that they can't staff anything anymore.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's something fun to read: https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2021/05/04/how-local-companies-are-filling-open-roles.html

Ice cream shop in Pittsburgh can't staff people. Offers $15/hr, and suddenly they're fully staffed with dedicated employees and a mile long standby list if they ever need more help.

Lazy rear end workers, only motivated by the desire to make more money, unlike business owners who are motivated by-

Notahippie posted:

It sounds like a lot of critical infrastructure (including O2 transportation, which is part of why the O2 situation is hosed up) is hurting because enough people have COVID that they can't staff anything anymore.

Everything I’ve read about India suggests that they are facing the absolute worst case scenario in terms of health care collapse and also that of critical industries like transportation, which is just compounding the other issues more. It’s super scary and I wonder how close we came to seeing that in NYC and other places here in the US last year.

I’ve said this before and maybe I’m still just broke brained from 2020, but even though the US is increasingly vaccinated and the vaccines are effective, I still don’t think we’re out of the woods with this, not by a long shot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You know what the most depressing part of the water wars is going to be? You're never going to get people to ever stop wasting it on stupid bullshit. The water will be cut off at the homeless shelters before the fountains at the bellagio run dry

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That’s cause we aren’t. The USA is in decent shape right now compared to many places because of vaccination rates and the limited natural immunity from the population that had the disease already. The majority of the rest of the world is in bad shape.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know what the most depressing part of the water wars is going to be? You're never going to get people to ever stop wasting it on stupid bullshit. The water will be cut off at the homeless shelters before the fountains at the bellagio run dry

You will see genocides happen before the suburban homeowner gives up their lawn.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At this point, we should be sending the vaccines that the republicans don't want to take to places that will take them.

I mean, we probably have enough laying around now to vaccinate the entirety of Canada. Not that I'm playing favorites with america's hat, but they're a tenth the population we are and are struggling in comparison, because we pretty much bought up all the production.

Give those shots sitting in rural rear end Dakota hospitals to Canada, give the ones in Texas to Mexico. Oh wait money lol. Fucks sake.

Obviously send help to India too, but Modi largely hosed himself and his people so badly, we might as well be pissing on our shoes.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 5, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa that’s surprising. I thought for sure they’d let him back.

The board punted. It's due for review in the next six months, the board was basically pissed that they needed to make the decision.

boop the snoot posted:

He's definitely going to blog about this.

Apparently he did a low-energy press release attacking Cheney, McConnell, and Pence. He's also convinced that the Arizona Fraudit is going to reverse the election.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

At this point, we should be sending the vaccines that the republicans don't want to take to places that will take them.

Biden's folks just announced that they're basically abandoning the state population-based formula and giving more doses to states that want them. They're also blessing Pfizer shipments to other countries now. Biden more or less figured out that he's no magician and can't get doses into chuddy arms no matter what he tries, so he's pushing on chud state reps/doctors to do the pushing.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
*Fortune 100 CEOs crowd an auditorium while the Pittsburgh Ice Cream Shop owner loads a PowerPoint*

" To get people to work for you..."

* The audience collectively leans in *

"...Pay them"

*vigorous note taking commences*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I look forward to a revolution but let me mine some dogecoin first. Lol.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sacrist65 posted:

*Fortune 100 CEOs crowd an auditorium while the Pittsburgh Ice Cream Shop owner loads a PowerPoint*

" To get people to work for you..."

* The audience collectively leans in *

"...Pay them"

*vigorous note taking commences*

A voice from the back:

“Where did you get your MBA?”

The ice cream shop owner shrugs. “Don’t have one.”

The CEOs laugh and file out.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Outside the auditorium, a consultant from McKinsey charges $450 an hour to pitch "IceCream Shop Staffing LLC" to outsource labor costs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the only takeaway from this ice cream shop thing a bunch of big brains will have is the urgent need to automate food service

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

You will see genocides happen before the suburban homeowner gives up their lawn.

Our lawn is mostly clover and various native plants now and we love it. Needs no extra watering and flowers nicely.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

facialimpediment posted:

Biden's folks just announced that they're basically abandoning the state population-based formula and giving more doses to states that want them. They're also blessing Pfizer shipments to other countries now. Biden more or less figured out that he's no magician and can't get doses into chuddy arms no matter what he tries, so he's pushing on chud state reps/doctors to do the pushing.

"The demonRATs are hoarding your vaccines for the inner cities!" Is probably the most effective pitch to get chuds vaccinated.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Soylent Pudding posted:

"The demonRATs are hoarding your vaccines for the inner cities!" Is probably the most effective pitch to get chuds vaccinated.

Dress the needle up as an F150 and make vroom vroom noises as it moves toward their arms.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

FORD lol no, gotta get a DODGE RAM to RAM IT IN

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're going to destroy pristine ecological reserves in order to harvest freshwater / construct reservoirs / build RO plants. Huge swathes of the planet that are currently inhabited will be abandoned. Whole countries will be upended due to the expense and difficulty of obtaining a resource that used to regularly fall from the sky.

Environmental stuff is 100% majorly depressing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Remember the child-devouring $4k Peloton treadmill? As seen in action here:

https://youtu.be/onXNnlCYJ4Y

Well Peloton tried to pull a NOTHING TO SEE HERE, JUST IGNORE THE TODDLERMUNCHER SETTING, IT'S A FEATURE. It didn't work.

https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1389950543511134209?s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

Remember the child-devouring $4k Peloton treadmill? As seen in action here:

I did not think this was literal :gonk:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sorry our machine ate your baby. Here’s a half assed apology and a donation to something. We will have our lawyers contact you about a settlement.

Click here for the latest Peloton deals.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm glad that video had a warning because the moment I saw kids I turned it the gently caress off because no no no no no :(

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

maffew buildings posted:

I'm glad that video had a warning because the moment I saw kids I turned it the gently caress off because no no no no no :(

Extremely same. My imagination is already filling in too many details

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Did the kid die? Edit: just read.the dispatch. That's awful

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

maffew buildings posted:

I linked it a few weeks ago specifically because it wasn't graphic and bloody, just a toddler offering his ball as sacrifice, then getting lightly munched as the treadmill denied the sacrifice. At the time, there were no deaths and only a sporadic few cases.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Did the kid die? Edit: just read.the dispatch. That's awful

Not the kid in the video, I wouldn't link that kind of thing here.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Something I wasn't able to find in the articles the last time this was in the news: Is there an increase in child-consuming capability between a Peloton and any other brand of treadmill?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wombot posted:

Something I wasn't able to find in the articles the last time this was in the news: Is there an increase in child-consuming capability between a Peloton and any other brand of treadmill?

Having seen a Tread 1st hand I would think no more than any other fairly well made treadmill.

It's basically just another treadmill with a tablet built into it running their app. I dunno if you can control the treadmill from the tablet interface itself or if you have physical controls on the treadmill.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

A Bad Poster posted:

Lawns are already pretty gross. My dream house has a white roof and native plants.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That Works posted:

Having seen a Tread 1st hand I would think no more than any other fairly well made treadmill.

It's basically just another treadmill with a tablet built into it running their app. I dunno if you can control the treadmill from the tablet interface itself or if you have physical controls on the treadmill.

Its a techbro thing, so the tabley is probably a web app to the remote server that actually controls the thing, so its harder and slower to turn off than a traditional treadmill

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

maffew buildings posted:

the only takeaway from this ice cream shop thing a bunch of big brains will have is the urgent need to automate food service

Considering their astronomically high wages and lack of any tricky "doing complex things with their hands" aspect to their jobs, it makes WAY more sense to just automate the big brains instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wombot posted:

Cross posting from the techbubble thread

Shifty Pony posted:

it is (was lol) a slat treadmill.

normal treadmills use a belt and a stationary supporting plate under the belt. no matter how well kept the plate and belt are when your foot comes down the belt will get squeezed between your foot and the plate and will slow down slightly.

a slat treadmill uses something closer to what you see in a moving walkway, with a bunch of hard wide flat boards supported by ball bearings running along rails under them and driven by chains on either side. your foot striking means jack poo poo compared to the sorts of loads the ball bearings can handle without a meaningful increase in friction and as a result the feel is better or something. they are expensive because there's a bunch more moving parts involved and they are mainly found at fancy gyms.

anyway slat treadmills are much harder to make safe because the slats need more room to turn than a belt so your shields can fit as tightly, and they are extra dangerous because when they turn the slats open up between each other then close back down. that's not really a problem in a fancy gym because they don't have kids and pets running all around.

the peloton treadmill didn't even bother to implement basic physical safety poo poo like a shield and didn't include basic safety logic like stopping the motor and requiring a power cycle if a jam or unusual load is detected. in one video a kid's ball manages to completely stop the treadmill, but when it is dislodged the treadmill immediately went right back up to full speed.